5.0.4 Performance Issue (Similar to D3 Beta)

(Locked)

90 Draenei Shaman
09/06/2012 08:17 AMPosted by Dwarftude
Uhm... it's barely been over a week. Before you put on your best Kanye West voice and boldly claim "Blizzard doesn't care about Mac people," at least give them a chance. The last thing you want is them to haphazardly push out a patch to fix "this", but find out it broke something else.

Never said they don't, but if this had happened on the PC client, it most likely would have been given more attention.

I'm actually really glad that Blizz still supports the Mac platform like it has since the old days.

In the end, favoritism or not aside, I hope it gets fixed soon.
100 Human Warlock
09/06/2012 08:25 AMPosted by Liraelclayr
Uhm... it's barely been over a week. Before you put on your best Kanye West voice and boldly claim "Blizzard doesn't care about Mac people," at least give them a chance. The last thing you want is them to haphazardly push out a patch to fix "this", but find out it broke something else.

Never said they don't, but if this had happened on the PC client, it most likely would have been given more attention.

I'm actually really glad that Blizz still supports the Mac platform like it has since the old days.

In the end, favoritism or not aside, I hope it gets fixed soon.

As I showed in http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6412493648?page=34#667 there are indications this bug IS happening with the PC client as well. In fact there are reports of people booting into the PC client on their Mac via Bootcamp and seeing the EXACT SAME run away CPU usage with excessive heat built up.

There are also a handful of PC reports of the PC client having EXACT SAME run away CPU usage with excessive heat built up as seen with the Mac client.

It now looks like this CPU call bug effects BOTH PC and Mac clients but the heat built up is most obvious with the MPBs and some types of iMac but since there are PC that have designs similar to MPBs and iMacs it is safe assume that they are having the same problems even with the PC client.
90 Dwarf Rogue
My other Mac has this issue, too:

iMac, 2011, 3.4GHz i7, 1GB VRAM, 12GB RAM

Macbook Air, 2012, 2.0GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
80 Draenei Paladin
While I'm not experiencing drastic FPS issues (I'm staying at 30+ which is doable for me), I have noticed my usage went to 104% at the login screen and my Mac just started heating up very quickly.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0F
SMC Version (system): 1.58f16
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0a29
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3560
gMux Version: 1.9.21
90 Night Elf Druid
Just got back from vacation and after installing the patch I am experiencing the "bad/dancing/messed up pixels issue".

I'm running a MacBook (4,1) Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz. My OS version is 10.6.8 and my graphics card is an Intel GMA X3100.
90 Orc Hunter
if your computer is hurting itself due to CPU thermal stress, that is, sadly, not WoW's fault.

It might be a problem with WoW that some threads or processes that are busy-waiting and what not are being spawned, but when 100% CPU fries your computer, that's your computer's problem.

Are we really going to open this silly angle again?

I'm out. The thread has served its usefulness - most unexpectedly in Growltiger's extremely effective solution, in Tia's additional GPU performance discovery, and finally in Blizzard's promise to patch it.

Anything further here - short of an announcement of a patch - is worthless.

I completely agree.
Edited by Asukazil on 9/6/2012 11:33 AM PDT
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
09/06/2012 11:26 AMPosted by Asukazil
I completely agree.

Also agree, i only spoke up to chime down all the people getting irate and talking nonsense like lawsuits and what not. People don't like being told they don't have a case though.

in any case, the bug is fixed in build 16048. sitting in login screen shows low cpu usage. if you don't know how to fish for patch files or extract them, you'll be be able to see for yourself on beta servers probably late tonight or tomorrow. beta servers are still on 16030 because they are doing raid testing.

if you really want to poke at 16048 though, http://www.mysticalos.com/PatchFiles.html

you won't be able to login to beta servers with anything other then 16030 though. or can you use it on live either. i post link more so for people like tia and growl to poke at.
90 Orc Hunter
Also agree, i only spoke up to chime down all the people getting irate and talking nonsense like lawsuits and what not. People don't like being told they don't have a case though.

in any case, the bug is fixed in build 16048. sitting in login screen shows low cpu usage. if you don't know how to fish for patch files or extract them, you'll be be able to see for yourself on beta servers probably late tonight or tomorrow. beta servers are still on 16030 because they are doing raid testing.

if you really want to poke at 16048 though, http://www.mysticalos.com/PatchFiles.html

you won't be able to login to beta servers with anything other then 16030 though. or can you use it on live either. i post link more so for people like tia and growl to poke at.

Thank you for this news Omegal.
Edited by Asukazil on 9/6/2012 11:37 AM PDT
90 Human Priest
09/06/2012 03:46 AMPosted by Normie
The internet knows. I imagine we will see a patch pre-MoP launch, to avoid a PR nightmare.

There are like 4 people who play WoW on macs, so, I don't really see this nightmare.

Three now that poor guy's iMac burnt up. I kid, I kid (seriously, sorry about that though). Actually, I think there are quite a few mac WoW users, as this is the only decent mmo with a mac client, and it has pretty low reqs. Perfect for a mac, except for the current bug.

Under optimal circumstances I don't think anybody should game on a mac, and I don't think anybody really buys them for gaming. But many for many reasons, that is what many people have to do. Maybe they have to use Mac's for their profession, or maybe it's their family computer, or maybe some one gave it to them as a gift, et. al. And just maybe, they can't afford another computer exclusive for gaming right now.

If I had all the disposable income I had when I was in high school, with no expenses and a job, I have a sweet gaming rig too, but I'd probably be taking advantage of that hardware and be playing GW2 at the moment. Not that WoW isn't a fine game, it's graphics are just a little dated (though still nice in a cartoony way), which is I suppose what Blizzard was trying to update a little bit in MoP to compete. Unfortunately, I think that is what led to this mess, but I'm sure they'll fix it, in due time.
Edited by Psykek on 9/6/2012 12:55 PM PDT
90 Human Priest

Thank you for this news Omegal.

Totally didn't see this while I was typing. That's great news.
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
09/06/2012 11:32 AMPosted by Omegal

The only thing I want to poke right now is my eyes....out.

Stupid DMV smog check rules...
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
http://www.mysticalos.com/images/MoP/505_login.jpg
Support Forum Agent
Omegal is correct, the fix is current in the latest version of Beta, 5.0.5 (16048). If you have access, please check it out.

This fix will be available in the live client in the near future.

Something like this requires a client patch, and cannot be address in a hot-fix.
Edited by Machkhan on 9/6/2012 4:12 PM PDT
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
Omegal is current, the fix is current in the latest version of Beta, 5.0.5 (16048). If you have access, please check it out.

This fix will be available in the live client in the near future.

I think you mean "Omegal is correct, the fix is current..."

Sorry, the forums are putting me in a very foul mood right now, what with having to enter my login info every time I do anything, which is very very very very very VERY annoying when you have to fire up the mobile authenticator each time as well just to post.
Support Forum Agent
He is current too :)

Fixed. Yea the change made some weird login issues for me. I sent feedback up to the appropriate team.

You can also send additional website issues to our web bug forums: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1025938/
100 Night Elf Druid
09/06/2012 12:53 PMPosted by Psykek

There are like 4 people who play WoW on macs, so, I don't really see this nightmare.

Three now that poor guy's iMac burnt up. I kid, I kid (seriously, sorry about that though). Actually, I think there are quite a few mac WoW users, as this is the only decent mmo with a mac client, and it has pretty low reqs. Perfect for a mac, except for the current bug.

Under optimal circumstances I don't think anybody should game on a mac, and I don't think anybody really buys them for gaming. But many for many reasons, that is what many people have to do. Maybe they have to use Mac's for their profession, or maybe it's their family computer, or maybe some one gave it to them as a gift, et. al. And just maybe, they can't afford another computer exclusive for gaming right now.

If I had all the disposable income I had when I was in high school, with no expenses and a job, I have a sweet gaming rig too, but I'd probably be taking advantage of that hardware and be playing GW2 at the moment. Not that WoW isn't a fine game, it's graphics are just a little dated (though still nice in a cartoony way), which is I suppose what Blizzard was trying to update a little bit in MoP to compete. Unfortunately, I think that is what led to this mess, but I'm sure they'll fix it, in due time.

So you think Macs are pretty much useless as a gaming machine, and WoW is dated and cartoony, yet here you are on WoW's Mac support forum . . . A lesser person than I might consider you a troll, but I'm sure you mean well.
100 Worgen Druid
Tia, try clearing your battle.net cookies, that usually works for me.

I'll look at your graphics settings later. For now, I'll note that if the pipeline is optimal, with uncapped framerate (including no vsync), either a CPU thread or the GPU will be at 100%, and depending on graphics settings the other one will be close to 100%. If it's a CPU thread that's at 100%, you can get higher framerate (and higher GPU utilization) by splitting that thread up into multiple threads, when possible (if the GPU is at 100%, all you can do is improve algorithms, get a better GPU, or get more GPUs).

If WoW is now more optimal, then that's great, it just means you may have to be more careful about what you cap your framerate to if your system has heat issues, but you should be able to get higher FPS or more detail now than you did before, if that's what was going on before.

Total nonsense. I'm on my 6th Mac (not including work). My first was a Lisa, one was an APC, and each one was easily on par with what I could buy at the time for the same price. Each has also had a much longer useful lifetime than if I had gotten a cheapie DOS or Windows machine.

Under optimal circumstances, game makers would make more games for Macs. I mean, wouldn't it have been awesome if Bungie had been able to get Halo to work on Macs? I guess it was just too difficult, though, so they had to make them Windows-only, just like that earlier game they made, Marathon. I remember wishing I could play Marathon on my Mac II. Oh, wait, I could.

I see that finally there's an all-in-one that pretty much matches the iMac, and at a pretty good price (from Dell). Not sure how much better a retina display is going to be, 2560x1440 at 27" is pretty sweet, but maybe they'll also boost the graphics and CPU speed. Maybe they'll improve the cooling while they're at it!
Edited by Growltiger on 9/6/2012 5:59 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]