5.0.4 Performance Issue (Similar to D3 Beta)

(Locked)

90 Blood Elf Priest
Thanks for the reply, Dwarftude.

I played for about an hour last night, but logged off once my temperatures were around 130-140º F. Maybe that's not -so- hot, but when I put my hand to my chassis and it's uncomfortably hot, then yeah, that's when I step away and just log off to be sure.

Then again, I was also monitoring CPU usage and Warcraft was reading as 160%. This is not something I really know much about (other than it most likely shouldn't be nearly that high). Diablo III ran on about 15-20% usage.

@ Endymeon-

I dunno, friend. Mine's overheating and I'm playing with a fresh install on a brand new computer that literally came out of the box Thursday night.
90 Dwarf Paladin
Thanks for the reply, Dwarftude.

I played for about an hour last night, but logged off once my temperatures were around 130-140º F. Maybe that's not -so- hot, but when I put my hand to my chassis and it's uncomfortably hot, then yeah, that's when I step away and just log off to be sure.

I googled Celsius to Fahrenheit. 130-140º F is ~ 55-60º C

09/08/2012 05:56 AMPosted by Pekti
Then again, I was also monitoring CPU usage and Warcraft was reading as 160%. This is not something I really know much about (other than it most likely shouldn't be nearly that high). Diablo III ran on about 15-20% usage.

So it's a normally operating CPU with plenty of breathing room. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you use the workaround that Sunxai developed or wait for the "patch" your CPU will certainly run cooler, but otherwise, again, 130-140º F is perfectly acceptable. Albeit, on the high end, but still absolutely of no harm to it's health.
90 Human Hunter
I'm experiencing the same thing reported here. My CPU with just normal work sits at about 109 degrees Fahrenheit, (42 centigrade [celsius]). Monitoring my cpu usage, the terminal itself takes up the most at about 4% cpu. If I launch WOW (64 bit client), with WOW just sitting in the login screen waiting for me to type in my password, WOW cpu usage is 102% and sits there. Presumably this is due to the ever so beautiful (I am not joking) subtle movements of the leaves in the bushes. Very organic. Clouds drifting in the background, a couple of flames... and sorry I got distracted. With nothing but the WOW login screen sitting there and hypnotizing me, my CPU temp jumps to 120 degrees Fahrenheit, (48 centigrade). Still, not bad. Annoying, but not dangerous. But should be fixed if possible.

Now if I log into WOW, into a fairly crowded and active zone, say Malfurion's Breach with the zillions of NPC in their never ending battle, CPU jumps to 184% and temperature goes to 131 Fahrenheit (55 Centigrade).

Intel says that I should keep my core I7 processor should be kept under 80 degrees Centigrade to be safe, so I seem to be well within the margin of safety. But boy can I feel that heat radiate from the back of this iMac 27" 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7.

Love 5.0.4! Can't wait for the madness of MOP to start! (cool off our machines, pretty please?)
90 Human Hunter
BTW, There is also a strange hiccup that occurs frequently throughout gameplay. I'll be playing around and the system, all sound, and everything will suddenly stop for like a fraction of a second, then start up again.

I've done all the normal things, resetting everything, getting rid of cache, wtf, and interface folders, but that weird problem continues. It "feels" like it's related to sound, but I'm not sure. This is all, of course, with nothing else running on the computer except standard ancillary processes and WOW. I'm on 10.8.1. Also.
90 Gnome Warlock
Is anyone else seeing a significant performance improvement on the Beta MoP server versus live? Standing in the same place, I'm getting a solid 50 fps on the Beta, but on live I get ~25 with a ton of chugging. Same settings, no addons.
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
09/08/2012 10:54 AMPosted by Nodderly
Is anyone else seeing a significant performance improvement on the Beta MoP server versus live? Standing in the same place, I'm getting a solid 50 fps on the Beta, but on live I get ~25 with a ton of chugging. Same settings, no addons.

I'll have to check this out. If it's true, that'd be awesome news for the Cata zones.
90 Draenei Shaman
09/08/2012 11:03 AMPosted by Tiapriestess
I'll have to check this out. If it's true, that'd be awesome news for the Cata zones.

Tia and Growl should seriously get paid by Blizz for being so helpful in this forum. They obviously care more about the other users than Blizzards' staff itself
82 Blood Elf Priest
So I've been using the temp fix that suspends the thread. It was working for me with no noticeable problems. Today I used it and it's making wow unresponsive. If I quit Terminal it allows WOW to work again but the activity monitor registers over 100%.

Has something changed that I'm unaware of?

Thanks.
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
So I've been using the temp fix that suspends the thread. It was working for me with no noticeable problems. Today I used it and it's making wow unresponsive. If I quit Terminal it allows WOW to work again but the activity monitor registers over 100%.

Has something changed that I'm unaware of?

Thanks.

We can't know whether or not something is wrong unless you describe exactly (and I do mean exactly) what you're doing today vs. what you did previously, step by step.
90 Worgen Druid
09/08/2012 10:54 AMPosted by Nodderly
Is anyone else seeing a significant performance improvement on the Beta MoP server versus live?

Yes, I noticed that as well. With reasonable settings, I can get 50FPS in typical areas. Since I normally run it capped at 24 or 30FPS, it runs very smoothly for me now, and runs a bit cooler than it used to (comparing to live with the thread suspended, of course; suspending the thread no longer necessary in Beta).

As for the workaround not working, it's possible that you did something not quite right. Are you sure you're suspending the correct thread? Are you setting to the correct frame in that thread and doing the finish step before suspending it? If either of those are being done wrong, WoW could become unresponsive; while it's possible to get it going again and do it over, it's probably easiest to simply force-quit and try the whole thing over again.

Using the automated solution should now be fairly safe, so if you're doing it by hand and messing up, you might want to try doing that instead. Or just wait until Tuesday and see if it comes out then (if it doesn't, I'll see if I can come up with an automated solution that works even better than the one that's already been offered).
Edited by Growltiger on 9/8/2012 3:36 PM PDT
85 Troll Death Knight
I have the 64-bit Client on my iMac (OS X Mountain Lion), The iTunes pop up (Track notification) is not working. I read it doesn't work in the 64-bit Version. When are you going to fix this?
90 Worgen Druid
09/08/2012 04:46 PMPosted by Hortraz
The iTunes pop up (Track notification) is not working. I read it doesn't work in the 64-bit Version. When are you going to fix this?

Wrong place to ask. They know it's not working, they're working on it, I'd rather they fix the more critical errors.

Heck, even for iTunes support, I'd rather they fix the volume control first, worry about the notification later. Almost everything I listen to, I already know what it is. If you're that interested, Command-Tab to iTunes for a second. The Command-Tab out of Full Screen mode is now super-fast, it works beautifully, it really does, wonderful job whoever worked on that!
82 Blood Elf Priest
Seems typing the "finish" command worked. Wasn't doing that before.

Thanks
90 Troll Druid
Using the automated solution should now be fairly safe, so if you're doing it by hand and messing up, you might want to try doing that instead. Or just wait until Tuesday and see if it comes out then (if it doesn't, I'll see if I can come up with an automated solution that works even better than the one that's already been offered).

If the patch doesn't release I'm happy to work with ya on it.
90 Goblin Warlock
Great improvement on the beta.

MBP Mid '10, same conditions that would give me 90ºC+ on live (FPS capped at 28, low to fair settings - as in, low shading details, low particle density, low water, sunshafts disabled, the new setting that I forgot the name disabled, and everything else on fair), won't get me over 70º something degrees.

If I go up to 33 FPS, I can go to 82-4ºC in heavy AoE condition on Org dummies. Won't go past 80ºC on the outside Pandaria world (maybe on the beginning, everybody questing together, sep 25th).

I only get to 89ºC if I go to 38 FPS (which would be the almost the same as not capping my FPS, except I don't have sudden FPS spikes when I cap) in Org - same conditions, heavy AoE dummies. Don't go past 80ºC in Pandaria as well, open world (even when my frame rate goes lower than 38 by itself, meaning, 38 is almost too high for my machine - it always has been, even on Cata, only difference is that I could go fair to good settings, but I guess that's the price to pay for having an outdated computer).

TL;DR: Even though my CPU goes higher than 100% (two cores, what can I say? - it's always been over 100% on Cata anyway), this new build is obviously WAY lighter be it on the CPU, the GPU or both. Coding stuff I don't understand. Thing is, it worked.

Edit: Also, I run the beta from my external FW HD. I don't know why, but running WoW from the external HD always made my computer hotter, so, chances are these temperatures can drop 1-3 more degrees, when this patch is deployed and installed on my "normal" WoW.
Edited by Tronic on 9/8/2012 9:34 PM PDT
90 Goblin Warlock
Just an update.

Running on beta server on my rMBP. I had not capped my FPS and was still seeing high temperatures (though still lower than before).

Once I set the MAXFPS to 35, I saw a huge improvement. Temps are hovering between 75C and 85C on the CPU and 70C and 78C on the GPU. Before capping the FPS, I was still seeing temps between 90C and 100C on the CPU and 85C to 95C on the GPU.

Turns out I was getting insanely high FPS on the beta server. Over 60 in many cases.

At least for me, anything over 35 is pretty unnecessary and the game looks great at 35.

Another piece of feedback. Running at 2880 resolution, I can see very little difference between Good, High, and Ultra settings. To be honest, it's so slight its not noticeable. I saw very little difference in heat between Good, High, and Ultra settings as well.

Once this patch is live, I am going to be delighted. The Retina display at 2880 makes this game gorgeous. Unlike anything I ever saw on my old PC or prepatch on this new rMBP. They did an excellent job of utilizing the capabilities.

One more issue though, the graphic "noise" that squirrels all over the screen continues to be an issue. I saw on the beta forum that they are waiting on feedback from Apple and the hardware manufacturer for the video card to try and nail that one down. Annoying but certainly something you can play through.
90 Draenei Paladin
WoD
When I got to that last line I totally face palmed. After doing some research I understand how this likely happened but I also know there is going to be more than one person that is going to look at that last line and go "You mean like the months of testing that gave us this bug in the first place?"

Well, this wasn't an issue that was in the months of beta testing, so no. It sprang up recently and considering that we're looking at (hopefully) a fix coming with retail (since the fix is currently being implemented in beta), I'd say this problem will have been fixed rather swiftly if it's fully resolved when MoP officially goes live. I myself posted sarcastically recently about Mac users getting low priority, and I feel pretty foolish for doing so now.
Edited by Zephus on 9/9/2012 7:48 AM PDT
90 Human Rogue
09/08/2012 09:37 PMPosted by Sqweet
Turns out I was getting insanely high FPS on the beta server. Over 60 in many cases.

I had 80 on average in Cata, without any overheating issues >_>
90 Orc Hunter
I am using an Early 2011 MBP. I set my computer on a laptop desk to help keep temps down. I run smcFanControl and set my fans on 4000RPM. I loaded and am running the public beta 16048. I set my FPS to 30 and turned the graphics to Good. I am running about 60 to 70 degrees C (as reported by smcFanControl) and Activity Monitor shows my CPU usage is down to normal ranges. I would still like the temps a bit lower but I am happy that this 16048 client seems to have fixed the biggest problem. I am seeing 80 to 90 degree temps on the live client 16016 with the same settings so this definitely helped.
Edited by Asukazil on 9/9/2012 10:45 AM PDT
90 Gnome Warrior
Currently, the Beta is fine; I run at about 130ºF with my fans where they have been prior. My settings aren't amazing, but I have them set with low things on the stuff I don't notice (projected textures? What does this even -do-?), and higher on things I do (water, shadows) and it works out all right.

I tell you this, though. This patch better hit on Tuesday and NOT 'with retail' or I'm going to be really angry. I've already missed two weeks of practice with the newly redesigned classes, taming new pets, and Darkmoon for the month. If I miss the Theramore release event too, I'm going to be furious.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]