5.0.4 Performance Issue (Similar to D3 Beta)

(Locked)

90 Human Rogue
09/09/2012 10:56 AMPosted by Arenvald
projected textures? What does this even -do-?

It's things like - when you cast Swiftmend, the healing circle that appears on the ground would be considered a projected texture. With projected textures turned off, you can still see a green glow and leaves where the circle would be. Or with Consecrate, the ground doesn't have the crackly yellow glow without projected textures. I think it's the same with Chakras, etc.

It's not important to have it turned on for questing, but it can be a life or death decision in raids, because many bosses cast ground AoE that will only appear via projected textures (Lich King, Warmaster, Valiona & Theralion, etc.)

My pretty new / pretty updated desktop struggles in live, even with me limiting my FPS to 30 and lowering most of the settings. But I'm hoping to see a difference once I jump back on beta; like you, I really don't want to miss our first chance at seeing the Theramore event :]

EDIT: I hopped on the beta and it's running smoothly. I was getting up to 150 fps before my fans even kicked on, then I limited it to about 50 and it's been running really well!
Edited by Carroway on 9/9/2012 11:25 AM PDT
90 Gnome Warrior
Ah, okay, that's why I didn't see anything when I was fussing with it. It used to be called 'spell effects' or 'spell detail'... something along those lines. I'll turn it back on. I'm not suffering too much in FPS loss.
90 Troll Druid
I tell you this, though. This patch better hit on Tuesday and NOT 'with retail' or I'm going to be really angry. I've already missed two weeks of practice with the newly redesigned classes, taming new pets, and Darkmoon for the month. If I miss the Theramore release event too, I'm going to be furious.

Basically sums up my thoughts at this point.
91 Dwarf Paladin
I tell you this, though. This patch better hit on Tuesday and NOT 'with retail' or I'm going to be really angry. I've already missed two weeks of practice with the newly redesigned classes, taming new pets, and Darkmoon for the month. If I miss the Theramore release event too, I'm going to be furious.

I'd use the temporary fix provided by Sunxai then, if for some reason, it doesn't appear this Tuesday. Heck, use it now already.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6490399674

I have it working on my Mac, i'll try to help you get it working on yours.
Edited by Dwarftude on 9/9/2012 1:19 PM PDT
90 Gnome Warrior
I appreciate the offer, but I am paranoid and somewhat of a luddite when it comes to the inner workings of my computer. As a result, I am terrified to get in there with terminal and start fiddling with things because with my luck I'll break something, and let the magic smoke out of my computer, and it's too old to have AppleCare anymore.

I'll just wait. And play minecraft. And be impatient until it's fixed.
100 Worgen Druid
If it doesn't hit Tuesday, I'll be working with Sunxai to make the workaround 100% bulletproof - all you'll need to do is double-click an icon, and it will report "Success". Check Activity Monitor and verify, and you should be good to go.

We can even package up the few command line tool files needed, since they're open source (and don't take up very much space). Should be perfectly compatible across OSX versions.
90 Troll Druid
09/09/2012 01:15 PMPosted by Dwarftude
I'd use the temporary fix provided by Sunxai then, if for some reason, it doesn't appear this Tuesday. Heck, use it now already.

This doesn't seem to be an option for everyone, since it requires xCode and command line tools, which are not available for 10.6.8, which I have =(
90 Gnome Warrior
Yeah, I'm on 10.6.8 too and like I said... it's all scary coder stuff I don't want to mess with. A buttonclick would be awesome but I don't think it'd work on my end. (I could, however, be wrong. All I remember is something about there being no xCode for 10.6, or that you had to backflip through a bunch of hoops and sign up for things on other sites and download mysterious things and.... yeah.)
Edited by Arenvald on 9/9/2012 3:15 PM PDT
91 Dwarf Paladin
09/09/2012 01:51 PMPosted by Arenvald
I appreciate the offer, but I am paranoid and somewhat of a luddite when it comes to the inner workings of my computer. As a result, I am terrified to get in there with terminal and start fiddling with things because with my luck I'll break something, and let the magic smoke out of my computer, and it's too old to have AppleCare anymore.

I'm a luddite myself as far as programming. But, it's an automated workaround. All you do is double click the script to run it. It opens WoW, waits 45 seconds, identifies the problem thread, and suspends it.

I had to make one edit, because I installed WoW to a "games" folder in Applications instead of the default. Other then that the install instructions are harmless and straight forward. Xcode installs right off the Mac App Store.

You can totally do this :)
91 Dwarf Paladin
09/09/2012 02:59 PMPosted by Svartberg
This doesn't seem to be an option for everyone, since it requires xCode and command line tools, which are not available for 10.6.8, which I have =(

Really? Oh poo D:
Edited by Dwarftude on 9/9/2012 3:17 PM PDT
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
Xcode for 10.6.8 contains the command line tools. Those were only separated in Lion and later. You do however, have to dig in the developer site to even find the last XCode that 10.6.8 can run.
90 Draenei Shaman
his doesn't seem to be an option for everyone, since it requires xCode and command line tools, which are not available for 10.6.8, which I have =(

I'm running 10.6.8 as well.. crossing fingers they finally fix it by Tuesday
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior

this is a common misconception.

10.6.8 does not have STAND ALONE command line tools, because they are included in xcode. the difference here is that to get command line tools on 10.6.8, you need to download several gigs of uselessness if you don't intend to use xcode or read the documentation that comes with it. or the bloated iOS sdk. it'll be like 4 gig download on 10.6.8, none the less, you can get command tools

10.7 and 10.8 just split xcode from command line tools, making it possible to download JUST command line tools in a small package withou all the bloat, for something as simple as this.

the question is, how fast is your internet and how much disk space you willing to waste for a full xcode suite?
100 Human Warrior
09/08/2012 09:37 PMPosted by Sqweet
Running on beta server on my rMBP. I had not capped my FPS and was still seeing high temperatures (though still lower than before).

found your problem, not capped?
this is just gonna cause the machine to purposely run at max load. with no cap, you're basically telling wow to run it "as hard as this machine can take"..that's essencially saying "please, use all my cpu/gpu". Basically, instead of using all that power for bnet function, it's using it for frivolous fps instead. so yes, you can still run hot like that. always cap your fps unless you just want to do some short term benching. no higher then 60fps (as it's pretty pointless on a 60hz laptop screen). 40fps is probably even better.
Edited by Omegal on 9/9/2012 6:05 PM PDT
100 Night Elf Hunter
Omegal did you not read thru all of Sqweet post:

Just an update.

Running on beta server on my rMBP. I had not capped my FPS and was still seeing high temperatures (though still lower than before).

Once I set the MAXFPS to 35, I saw a huge improvement. Temps are hovering between 75C and 85C on the CPU and 70C and 78C on the GPU. Before capping the FPS, I was still seeing temps between 90C and 100C on the CPU and 85C to 95C on the GPU.

Turns out I was getting insanely high FPS on the beta server. Over 60 in many cases.

At least for me, anything over 35 is pretty unnecessary and the game looks great at 35.

Another piece of feedback. Running at 2880 resolution, I can see very little difference between Good, High, and Ultra settings. To be honest, it's so slight its not noticeable. I saw very little difference in heat between Good, High, and Ultra settings as well.

Once this patch is live, I am going to be delighted. The Retina display at 2880 makes this game gorgeous. Unlike anything I ever saw on my old PC or prepatch on this new rMBP. They did an excellent job of utilizing the capabilities.

One more issue though, the graphic "noise" that squirrels all over the screen continues to be an issue. I saw on the beta forum that they are waiting on feedback from Apple and the hardware manufacturer for the video card to try and nail that one down. Annoying but certainly something you can play through.

He/she saw the improvement after he set his/her frame rate to 35 fps, is that not a cap? if not please explain in your great wisdom.
Edited by Galorfinor on 9/9/2012 7:09 PM PDT
85 Human Mage
I don't seem to get any visual feedback on the slider when I change my FPS settings. I just have to mouse over the system icon and watch the framerate change. Am I missing something?
100 Blood Elf Priest
If it doesn't hit Tuesday, I'll be working with Sunxai to make the workaround 100% bulletproof - all you'll need to do is double-click an icon, and it will report "Success". Check Activity Monitor and verify, and you should be good to go.

We can even package up the few command line tool files needed, since they're open source (and don't take up very much space). Should be perfectly compatible across OSX versions.

Thank you to the both of you for your hard work and diligence regarding this matter. I hate to seem as if a glass-half-empty type of girl, but I get the feeling that our salvation will not be released on Tuesday. And even if it is, I fear it might not be the full-answer we're looking for.

But! I am still hopeful. And my manually-controlled fans and coyote-keen eyes that remained attentive to my baby's temperature look forward to a fix that'll make us all feel quite normal again.
43 Human Paladin

I would love if you could do this if it doesn't hit. I don't trust my terminal skills.
85 Gnome Priest
The bug is fixed in the current beta build...
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
09/09/2012 07:07 PMPosted by Galorfinor
He/she saw the improvement after he set his/her frame rate to 35 fps, is that not a cap? if not please explain in your great wisdom.

i did read that, and i did see the temp difference. but i still felt it worth mentioning WHY it was so hot uncapped. as the post considered it an ISSUE. when it fact, that's always been the case as long as wow has been out, that if you didn't use an fps cap, especially on a laptop, that it'd run hot. about the only system that won't run hot from no fps cap is a mac pro. I also read their post on the beta forums too reporting the game as too hot too. So they were clearly under believe running without an fps cap shouldn't run hot and were reporting it as a bug. So my reponse was fully thought out and indeed logical.

And here I was coming here to report the good news that blizz uploaded build 16048 to live patch servers earlier this morning (meaning it's set to deploy any day once they flip a switch, probably tomorrow although that's not an official confirmation, just the "wisdom" of a good dataminer who pulled the new files in my scripts this morning confirming a patch is imminant) and i still find hostility in this thread going on. :\

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]