5.0.4 Performance Issue (Similar to D3 Beta)

(Locked)

90 Dwarf Rogue
You can add me to the list, too.

Brand new MacBook Pro Retina, 2.6gHz, 16GB ram, SSD. Previously ran 1920x1200 between 30 and 60fps with everything bar shadows and sunshafts st maximum settings.

Now, 5.0.4, no addons, no other software on the computer (it's just a gaming laptop for me), 180% CPU usage and 15 to 25fps on LOW graphics, just standing around in Twilight Highlands. This makes me a sad gnome :(
100 Orc Mage
Add me as well.

MBP 2010 2.66ghz i7 processor
4GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia 330M w/ 512mb

Ran WoW in 64 bit very easily last patch - not 100% highest settings, but close to it, with few issues. Now it runs very hot, the framerate is terrible (26-30 at absolute lowest settings, 18-20 at reasonable settings), and the framerate likes to stutter a lot.

Would really nice if we got a more optimized version than this. Cata ran far, far, far better.
100 Gnome Mage
Mid 2009 Mac here. 2.53 Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM, 9400M video (sadface for card).

Can play for about 3-4 minutes before heat reaches 210F and fan max at 5700RPM. All settings low for this patch and FPS goes from 30-40 to 8-10 with huge stutters every second.
Edited by Watamelon on 8/29/2012 6:28 AM PDT
100 Worgen Druid
Reposted from other thread:

27" iMac, iMac11,3, quad core 2.93GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB, Mac OS X 10.8.

Running in Windowed mode, smallest window it will go, graphics on minimum, FPS limited to minimum (8), it runs at about 109-115% CPU. This used to always barely blip the CPU meter, under 10%.

Switching it to FPS unlimited, running about 170FPS, it's using about 240% CPU.

Going full screen (2560x1440) in same location and same graphics settings, I still get about 170 FPS and about 240% CPU use.

Raising graphics slider to Ultra, still in full screen, gives me about 25FPS and 150% CPU (this is on clock tower, in 1st person, looking at SW Keep).

Ultra, full screen, FPS limited to 8, gives about 110% CPU.

Now, I love that it's running multi-threaded and able to use the multi-core processors, but it's obviously not doing something right. There's a thread that's busy-waiting eating up a full core, is what it looks like to me, even when almost nothing is happening.

Oh, and for the record, I removed all WTF, Interface, Cache folders before doing the patch, and I haven't yet added back any addons.
Edited by Growltiger on 8/29/2012 6:40 AM PDT
90 Goblin Shaman
Glad im not the only one that noticed this. I have the 15" Macbook Pro Retina, and noticed my fans just whirring away. THe game plays fine, its just the heat and fans that bother me.
31 Night Elf Mage
Just throwing my "me too" in. Exact same issues as other posters. I'm afraid to melt my Mac, therefore WoW will sit until this is fixed. :(

15" MBP Mid 2009
2.53 Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
running Lion 10.7

Please fix soon Blizz!
100 Human Warlock
"Me too" and I closed the game as soon as I noticed and won't play it again until it gets solved. Annual pass or not, I won't get MoP if it means it will fry my computer. Happened with Diablo and took you three weeks to figure it out performance to get only a mediocre improvement, which made me not play Diablo again.

I know I don't have the best mac available but the game didn't have this issue prior patch and was running flawlessly.

iMac 2.66 Intel Core 2 Duo
3GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce9400 (I know =P)
OSX 10.6.8
Edited by Gawddess on 8/29/2012 9:29 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Posting to provide another data point, all of these gathered between 10:45-11:20 CST on 8/29/2012.

2010 MacBook Pro
OS X Snow Leopard
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Memory
NVIDIA GeForce 320M

On sign-in screen for WoW my temps are 62ºC with fans at 3.2k rpm. Upon loading into Org my computer temps begin spiking to 88-90ºC with fans running 5.5k+ rpm. This is with graphics on the lowest setting and FPS limited to 30. CPU usage by WoW was between 165-180% while standing idly in Org at a non-peak time on a medium population server (i.e., there weren't more than about 20 people in Org at that time).

2011 Mac Mini with Dell S2230MX Monitor
OS X Lion
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6630M

On sign-in screen temps are 71ºC with fans doing 5.5k rpm and WoW using 105% CPU. Loaded into Org and almost immediately my temps jumped up to 90ºC with fans running at 5.5k rpm. CPU usage went to 175%. Graphics on lowest setting and fps limited to 30.

On both my computers I cleared the cache, moved the interface and WTF folders to the desktop, restarted my computer and tried both the World of Warcraft and World of Warcraft-64 application launchers. I had almost exactly the same results regardless of the order of restarting/cache-clearing/addon disabling/etc.
85 Goblin Rogue
Any news on this from Blizzard???

Can't believe this patch made the game unplayable for most Mac users due to excessive heat when everything was working great pre-patch...

Oh well, I'm sure you all have come to expect this poor support just as I have after experiencing previous patch launches and Diablo 3 on a Mac... sigh

Blizzard, you guys are doing a really good job giving Mac users reason to quit playing Blizzard games :(
90 Gnome Death Knight
Two more Macs showing unexpectedly high CPU usage and fans on full blast:

iMac 8,1 2.8GHz Core Duo, 4GB RAM, ATI Rad HD 2600 GPU

iMac 10,1 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, ATI Rad HD 4670 GPU

both running OS X 10.6.8

neither of these machines had any problems playing the beta.

Neither of us have a Windows install via Bootcamp, but if someone else does, it would be interesting to see if the WoW install on a Windows partition shows similar issues – a vast difference in CPU usage numbers between the two might seem to confirm that this is a problem within the Mac WoW client.
Edited by Rattleskirt on 8/29/2012 10:58 AM PDT
85 Troll Priest
I happen to have WoW on a Bootcamp Partition, albeit it is not updated. I will update it RIGHT NOW and see if the heat experienced on the MBP is a result of the operating system or the computer itself.
90 Human Paladin
Let us know. This could be a Mountain Lion Thing
1 Blood Elf Paladin
08/29/2012 10:31 AMPosted by Dräconian
Let us know. This could be a Mountain Lion Thing

It's not.
90 Human Paladin
You have tested this?

I am running a brand new Macbook Air and it went up 30 degress over night when at the login screen.

I would love to rule out windoz believe me.
1 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm on 10.7 experiencing the same exact issues as all the people on 10.8. Even 10.6 users are reporting the same problems.
90 Night Elf Rogue
Also having a few issues since the patch that I haven't experienced in my few months owning this particular Mac.
As stated by many, it's running a lot hotter than usual and the fans are working overtime. I've moved my characters to Ironforge and disabled all addons. (For reference, used to run 25 man raids on 'good' settings at almost max resolution before the fans would run like they are now).

A particular issue I didn't see mentioned in my skim of the thread regards experiencing a blurry line in the center or lower-portion of the screen when I run or fly and bank too fast. I have my FPS maxed at 60 as per usual so . . .

Here are the specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B00
SMC Version (system): 2.3f32

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fd5
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3688
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2880 X 1800
Retina: Yes
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort

System Version: OS X 10.8.1 (12B19)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.1.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal

Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
Time since boot: 3:02

Now, I love that it's running multi-threaded and able to use the multi-core processors, but it's obviously not doing something right. There's a thread that's busy-waiting eating up a full core, is what it looks like to me, even when almost nothing is happening.

Quoting this because it's a much more elegant re-statement of what I said above, and as someone who has managed software dev teams, think it's worth highlight for debugging purposes. If anyone at Blizzard would like me to sample the process or perform other diagnostic tools, I'm more than happy to do so.
85 Draenei Mage
I have the same problem. I also called Blizz. They seemed unconcerned and unaware about the problem. I have cancelled my subscription. Perhaps a mass cancellation of subscriptions will make Blizz pay attention.
Just chiming in that I'm also having problems. I keep my FPS capped at 60 but even when I hit 60, it looks like 20. And I get this weird "ripple" effect that starts midway on the screen and rolls downward from time to time. Solved that by re-enabling vertical sync tho. But it's pretty much unplayable. I deleted my WOW, WTF and Cache folder and experimented with different resolutions and in windowed mode...same result. My machine also became extremely hot to the touch (not just where the graphics card is) and CPU usage is near 150%. I'm running 10.8.1 and have had no problems before the patch.

I have the very latest i7 3.4 GHz 27" iMac with 16GB of ram and a 2GB video card. Specs below. I hope Blizz is working on a fix for this soon, and if I can provide anything else that might help, please let me know. All of the above problems happen in the 64 and 32 bit version of the client.

This happens every patch for mac users. Ever. Single. Time. I have to wonder if Blizzard does ANY Mac testing, or if they just let us paying users do it for them. If they need to hire Mac testers, I'll raise my hand for it. :)

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F
SMC Version (system): 1.72f2
Serial Number (system):
Hardware UUID: 8FCF51F7-1293-56D5-A86D-C2E92DBA4549

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6970M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 2048 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6720
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C2960K-152
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.507
Displays:
iMac:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort[/quote]
31 Night Elf Mage
I'm with Furymage. If this doesn't get corrected fairly quickly, I'm dumping my subscription until it is. No sense in paying for the game if we can't play it without nuking our machines.

I submitted a ticket to Blizz on this issue. Let's see if they respond.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]