5.0.4 Performance Issue (Similar to D3 Beta)

(Locked)

100 Human Warlock
08/29/2012 10:56 AMPosted by Ceredonis
If this doesn't get corrected fairly quickly

...it took them three weeks to fix Diablo for mac users... three whoooole weeks...
90 Troll Priest
I have a temporary solution to the problem.

Like everyone else in this thread, my performance and idle temperature while World of Warcraft is active has jumped from 75-79 C to 88-93 C with the patching of version 5.0.4. My logic board has already been replaced due to overheating but it was covered by a warranty (replaced in 2011), and I am not willing to sacrifice my MBP for another two weeks; since that time my foreground FPS has been locked at 35FPS.

Edit your config.wtf file to reflect the following changes:

SET coresDetected "1"
SET gxApi "opengl"

restraining WoW to one CPU core should be sufficient until proper optimization occurs.

with these changes, while in the foreground I havent gone above 85 C.
I also have to mention I stopped using the 64-bit client. I really like it, but I don't think it follows the rules of config.wtf
90 Undead Warlock
Mac-mini here getting very poor fps around 20 when I should normally be getting about 45. During combat it can drop even lower than 20. I've tried lowering the settings a ton, but even on the most garbage graphics settings possible, these issues are still there just like when D3 was released.

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MM31.00AD.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.35f1

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0861
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3362
Displays:
Acer E211H:
Resolution: 1280 x 720 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Edited by Pryydrom on 8/29/2012 11:12 AM PDT
64 Goblin Priest
Blizz always has problems with Mac OS. I had been running WoW just fine on my fairly old mac pro but when I saw that the patch was not going to run on 10.5 I knew I was going to have to run WoW on the windows half of my computer even though I run Lion. I'm sorry you guys are experiencing this. Runs just fine on my Windows partition, I didn't even bother with the Mac OS.
Edited by Ojafanzviq on 8/29/2012 11:13 AM PDT
85 Undead Priest

Like everyone else in this thread, my performance and idle temperature while World of Warcraft is active has jumped from 75-79 C to 88-93 C with the patching of version 5.0.4. My logic board has already been replaced due to overheating but it was covered by a warranty (replaced in 2011), and I am not willing to sacrifice my MBP for another two weeks; since that time my foreground FPS has been locked at 35FPS.

SET coresDetected "1"
SET gxApi "opengl"

restraining WoW to one CPU core should be sufficient until proper optimization occurs.

I also have to mention I stopped using the 64-bit client. I really like it, but I don't think it follows the rules of config.wtf

Hmm thats a good idea to at least get in and piddle around however the SET coresDetected "1" didn't seem to work for me even with the 32 bit client...I am still using over 200% and overheating after logging in and standing idle.
90 Blood Elf Paladin

SET coresDetected "1"
SET gxApi "opengl"

Does it matter where in the config.wtf file you put this code?

Can you let me know how to not use the 64-bit client? I think using only the World of Warcraft app (as opposed to the one labelled World of Warcraft-64) should be doing it but I'm not sure. :/
1 Blood Elf Paladin
Can anyone else confirm 5.0.4 running normally, or at least considerably better, in bootcamp?
Edited by Krackrocks on 8/29/2012 11:29 AM PDT
31 Night Elf Mage

Thank you for the suggestion Agav. I gave it a try and unfortunately, it didn't work for me. CPU usage stayed up at 130% and temp quickly went from 136F to 212F. I shut down the game at that point.

Should I consider running a bootcamp instance just for WoW? Seems like a bit of work for a game...
Edited by Ceredonis on 8/29/2012 11:36 AM PDT
31 Night Elf Mage
08/29/2012 11:01 AMPosted by Gawddess
If this doesn't get corrected fairly quickly

...it took them three weeks to fix Diablo for mac users... three whoooole weeks...

Noooo!!!
90 Orc Warrior
Adding another name to the list, late 2011 i5 8gb ram MBP, blah blah same specs, same problems, I cannot raid. It is like 5 fps.

Thanks
Edited by Jocheim on 8/29/2012 11:46 AM PDT
1 Blood Elf Paladin
Quite a bit of work, indeed. Not to mention the need to own a copy of Windows.

At the moment, I've been chillin' in Org running back and forth between AH and bank and passing tons of other players on the way. My graphics are very laggy and seem to have the rubberbanding effect every few seconds. However my temperatures are staying between 165-185 degrees with SMC running my fan at 6200rpm.

Definitely not experiencing the Molten Dual Core temperatures that most of you guys are facing, but definitely suffering from a huge performance loss (11fps with settings on low.)

Late 2009 Macbook Pro
Processor 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
Running on 10.7.4 and using the 32 bit client.

It might just be my imagination or wishful thinking, but the game seems to be running at a more comfortable level than it was last night when I was running 64 bit with no fan settings. I still have a horrible fps but it's much better than the freeze frame comic book I was seeing last night.
Edited by Krackrocks on 8/29/2012 11:53 AM PDT
90 Troll Priest
that is correct, the app with 64 suffix is the 64-bit client
64 Goblin Priest
08/29/2012 11:28 AMPosted by Krackrocks
Can anyone else confirm 5.0.4 running normally, or at least considerably better, in bootcamp?

yes I installed WoW onto windows in a bootcamp partition last night. My computer did not sound like a jet engine and the game ran smoothly. It can take some time loading windows, though. Also OS X Lion will only allow you to make a partition with Windows 7 or higher (which is just silly, I had to reinstall snow leopard so I could load windows xp). I am the type of guy who will fiddle with such things until they work.
Edited by Ojafanzviq on 8/29/2012 11:55 AM PDT
90 Troll Priest
another thing, setting the processor core to 1 should have immediate effect on that log-in screen problem.

im using OSX 10.7.4 / 2.2 Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 8600M GT 128MB GFX
btw
1 Blood Elf Paladin
Quick update. As I stated above I'm now running the 32 bit client, still using both cores, fan spinning at 6200rpm, with ALL addons running in Org. Averaging about 26 fps with a quick dip to 11 every 10 or so seconds.
90 Human Paladin
The overheating isn't a Mac only issue.
100 Human Warlock
08/29/2012 12:01 PMPosted by Wooyayhoupla
The overheating isn't a Mac only issue.

The 100% CPU usage in a thread - which is causing the overheating - is.
Edited by Htaed on 8/29/2012 12:07 PM PDT
90 Undead Mage
Is it possible the rolling restarts might be silently addressing the issue?
1 Blood Elf Paladin
Whoa, do NOT play with our hopes and emotions like that.

I'm sure everyone here was thinking that, but didn't want to jinx it. If the restarts don't fix this then I'm officially blaming you.
Edited by Krackrocks on 8/29/2012 12:16 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]