5.0.4 Performance Issue (Similar to D3 Beta)

(Locked)

90 Undead Mage
Haha it is possible...guess we'll see in a couple minutes. DONT GET YOUR HOPES UP =P
90 Orc Warrior
08/29/2012 12:13 PMPosted by Upgrade
Is it possible the rolling restarts might be silently addressing the issue?

I dont think so. Unless its something on the server end. But my guess is that its something on the Mac client end, which would require a hotfix if not a patch
90 Undead Mage
I only just removed my boot camp install a couple days ago, now I wish I hadn't so I could test that as a possible workaround for those of us who have access to windows.
I've heard PC users complaining about this too, plus BootCamp creates its own load on the machine, so anything you might gain in efficiency by running it on windows will likely be eaten up by the strain of running BootCamp.
85 Troll Priest
Hey I just completed a full install of Wow on my Windows Bootcamp Partition and i can confirm that it is only barely better. it takes longer for the fans to kick in, 5 min compared to like 30 seconds. However, my MBP is still reaching unacceptable temps.... even in windows
1 Blood Elf Paladin
Ouch. Thanks for the confirmation.
Edited by Krackrocks on 8/29/2012 12:27 PM PDT
100 Gnome Mage

Didnt help here. :(
85 Troll Priest
08/29/2012 12:27 PMPosted by Krackrocks
Ouch. Thanks for the confirmation.
You can definitely use bootcamp, as it is without a doubt better than normal. But from my personal pref, even if a game runs smoothly, i just can't deal with airplane fans haha
90 Undead Mage
I wouldn't mind airplane fans at all if my temp was around 65-75 like it was two days ago instead of upwards of 100.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
08/29/2012 12:38 PMPosted by Upgrade
I wouldn't mind airplane fans at all if my temp was around 65-75 like it was two days ago instead of upwards of 100.

AGREED. :(
90 Undead Mage
Restarts, as expected, had nothing to do with our issue. Can confirm that it still exists. I have been playing with a bunch of config settings to no avail.

Also, I attempted to find a separate app that could be used to limit an application's cpu usage, to throttle it down in effect...but I have discovered that this type of app is rather complicated to install and run so that solution is out.
90 Undead Mage
I like how there hasn't been a blue post in this entire forum in about 24 hours...probably when they realized the mac application was totally effed up...now they won't show their faces in the thread because they have no idea what's wrong with it.

Sigh

Edit - there is a change after rolling restarts: The character screen now has a pretty Orgrimmar background on it.

Glad to see priorities are in order!!
Edited by Upgrade on 8/29/2012 1:07 PM PDT
90 Human Paladin
The overheating isn't a Mac only issue.

The 100% CPU usage in a thread - which is causing the overheating - is.

The problems related to this patch and overheating involves both Mac and PC systems. My wife's PC started overheating after the patch. Other examples of PC overheating related the 4.0.4 patch can be found by your good friend Google.
Edited by Wooyayhoupla on 8/29/2012 1:09 PM PDT
100 Human Warlock
08/29/2012 01:05 PMPosted by Upgrade
I like how there hasn't been a blue post in this entire forum in about 24 hours

This is just like with Diablo... they were in denial until they realized we were right, and they went radio silence for a week. Then they promised the upcoming patch to solve the issue which took other two weeks.

Don't hold your breath on them.
100 Human Warlock

No. When the issue occurs on the login screen and without a network connection at all, it's not server side. This is a client issue, and a Mac-specific one.
100 Human Warlock

The 100% CPU usage in a thread - which is causing the overheating - is.

The problems related to this patch and overheating involves both Mac and PC systems. My wife's PC started overheating after the patch. Other examples of PC overheating related the 4.0.4 patch can be found by your good friend Google.

Overheating can be caused by many issues. However, this thread is about a very specific performance issue - 100% CPU usage on the login screen, and then persistent CPU usage ~100% higher than it should be throughout the game. Such CPU usage in turn creates heat. This specific problem has not been observed on the PC according to any post, nor have I seen it personally with several Windows systems. I have seen it on every Mac system I have access to.

This is a problem with a single thread busy waiting or similar. That is the problem that is being discussed. Heat is a byproduct (though that heat is what then keeps us from playing the game).

Do you see 100% CPU usage on the login screen, even completely disconnected from the network? No? Then this thread is not about your problem.
Edited by Htaed on 8/29/2012 1:26 PM PDT
100 Human Warlock
08/29/2012 11:01 AMPosted by Gawddess
...it took them three weeks to fix Diablo for mac users... three whoooole weeks...

Of course, WoW is different since we're paying for that unplayable time. It's also aggravating since the game is about to undergo some massive changes - people won't be doing the same stuff in a month that they are right now.
Edited by Htaed on 8/29/2012 1:33 PM PDT
90 Orc Warrior

Overheating can be caused by many issues. However, this thread is about a very specific performance issue - 100% CPU usage on the login screen, and then persistent CPU usage ~100% higher than it should be throughout the game. Such CPU usage in turn creates heat. This specific problem has not been observed on the PC according to any post, nor have I seen it personally with several Windows systems. I have seen it on every Mac system I have access to.

This is a problem with a single thread busy waiting or similar. That is the problem that is being discussed. Heat is a byproduct (though that heat is what then keeps us from playing the game).

Do you see 100% CPU usage on the login screen, even completely disconnected from the network? No? Then this thread is not about your problem.

Funny how multiple people are coming up with the real reasons for this problem and blizzard says things like "emtpy cache" and "restart your comp." Clearly client side. I run iStat (monitoring for battery, fans, ram, cpu, temps, etc) according to my menus while SITTING at the login screen-

101-104% CPU usage. In game I see upwards of 160% all the time. I'm not a computer whiz like some of you guys (Htead) but the single thread waiting (from what I've read) is the most logical thing at the moment. So I'm curious as to why blizzard doesn't seem to be responding with "we're taking a look at threads being used, since that is the most likely issue right now." Don't they have people they PAY to deal specifically with these issues?
1 Blood Elf Paladin
In all fairness, they already said that the issue is being investigated. You can't force solutions out of them if they don't have them available yet, unless you want to have more reasons to be pissed off when those solutions don't do anything for you.
Edited by Krackrocks on 8/29/2012 1:37 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Druid
Adding my name to the list.

Very very hot after a few minutes of play, loud fan, etc., etc.

CPU usage is in the ranges of 104% as high as 150% (eep!)

Macmini4,1
2.66Ghz
8MB
NVIDIA GeForce 320M (^_^)

My Toshiba laptop is humming right along, zero problems and keeping cool and quiet.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]