5.0.4 Performance Issue (Similar to D3 Beta)

(Locked)

90 Undead Mage
It's not the forum moderator's job to debug the game, it's their job to speak to the public in these forums. Any type of response at this point would be nice to know that we are even speaking to anyone.

Haha, I've never had an issue bother me so much that I tried calling Blizzard...when you try to reach tech support, a recording pretty much tells you "No." and hangs up the phone for you. Pretty funny and worth a laugh for anyone who's interested in passing the time, the number is 1800-592-5499.
90 Human Death Knight
Mine as well. My fan running at 6k RPM+ isn't anything new, but it going that high and taking up 100%+ CPU on the character screen is new. Started as of the 5.0.4 patch.

Also, when in game, after about 5 minutes everything moves in quick little bursts. If anyone has experienced that part, they'll understand, but its a little hard to explain. To simply put it, camera/FPS is moving in steps, and not smoothly. Probably related to the entire thing of high CPU usage, fans, and the broken client in general.
08/29/2012 01:37 PMPosted by Krackrocks
In all fairness, they already said that the issue is being investigated. You can't force solutions out of them if they don't have them available yet, unless you want to have more reasons to be pissed off when those solutions don't do anything for you.

Agreed. I'm actually fine just that they've acknowledged it and are working on it. Solutions don't come instantly. I'm just trying to keep the thread focused on one problem, and what things are likely to have an effect and what aren't. That said, I certainly hope they're able to fix it quickly - it seems like something that would jump out at you in profiling, and I'm a bit mystified that it wasn't caught prior to release.
08/29/2012 01:45 PMPosted by Niernen
Also, when in game, after about 5 minutes everything moves in quick little bursts. If anyone has experienced that part, they'll understand, but its a little hard to explain. To simply put it, camera/FPS is moving in steps, and not smoothly. Probably related to the entire thing of high CPU usage, fans, and the broken client in general.

I'm seeing the same behavior, especially when spinning the camera. I haven't mentioned it, as I also hope it's a mere side-effect of the CPU usage issue and not a separate report of its own. I guess we'll know once they squash this bug - hopefully they die together. :)
90 Orc Warrior
08/29/2012 01:45 PMPosted by Niernen

The "quick little bursts" is because your CPU is dangerously hot. Happens to me when I forget to change my fan settings. Well, that was before 5.0.4, now its to be expected...hence why I am not playing
90 Undead Mage
*Clicks request sticky for this topic*

"You have already requested that this topic become sticky"

...No, I didn't?
1 Blood Elf Paladin

...No, I didn't?

I'm convinced they just don't like you.

...No, I didn't?

I'm convinced they just don't like you.

Apparently they don't like me either. All I can assume is someone did, and it doesn't allow multiple "votes".
90 Undead Mage
Just to keep this going, I removed the regular contents of my WoW folder again, and have also updated OSX to 10.8.1...I didn't realize there was an update last week. No changes.

Anyone else tinkering around with things? Maybe a temporary workaround is out there, haha.
90 Human Paladin

The problems related to this patch and overheating involves both Mac and PC systems. My wife's PC started overheating after the patch. Other examples of PC overheating related the 4.0.4 patch can be found by your good friend Google.

Overheating can be caused by many issues. However, this thread is about a very specific performance issue - 100% CPU usage on the login screen, and then persistent CPU usage ~100% higher than it should be throughout the game. Such CPU usage in turn creates heat. This specific problem has not been observed on the PC according to any post, nor have I seen it personally with several Windows systems. I have seen it on every Mac system I have access to.

This is a problem with a single thread busy waiting or similar. That is the problem that is being discussed. Heat is a byproduct (though that heat is what then keeps us from playing the game).

Do you see 100% CPU usage on the login screen, even completely disconnected from the network? No? Then this thread is not about your problem.

You can't see the forest for the trees.
21 Night Elf Druid
Same problem as the rest of you. Running at blistering hot temps with fans howling. Early 2010 i5 iMac with mountain lion installed (great OS!).

I wont risk my machine by playing WoW until this is fixed, may give me time to break my addiction . . .

Will check this thread from time to time for new info and log into the game occasionally (briefly) in case there's a hotfix or patch to address the issue. Look at that! I'm already looking for excuses to log into the game! I really need to get this monkey off my back . . .
90 Gnome Warrior
The fact that the issue seems to be similar to what happened at the beginning of D3 should be a boon in this situation, hopefully it can provide at least a rough "road map" for how to fix this current issue. I don't use a mac, but several members of my guild do, all of which are completely unable to play the game (without wearing fire protection at least). Oh and I to have apparently requested this thread to be sticky'd as well :)
90 Undead Mage
I hope that is true Wren. Probably not however, things are never that easy.
85 Tauren Druid
Add another one to the list. MBP was running about 150 degrees pre-patch and now is running at 180 just sitting in an empty zone...
90 Tauren Druid
that post helped me alot man it works now
90 Undead Mage
I am having this problem now, when I open the game my CPU shoots up to 100% and not only does the login screen lag horribly (-1fps), my desktop and start menu do too (takes nearly 15 seconds for the taskbar to pop out when my mouse hits the edge of the screen) I think this might have something to do with addons, as it was working normally until I tried to install the 5.0.4 version of LUIcore, by replacing the Interface folder with theirs. I have since deleted the Cache and tried moving Interface and WTF to my desktop, but WTF needs administrator permission to do so, even though I'm on the Administrator (and only) account for my computer.
Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250
GFX: GeForce GT 430
RAM: 8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2
I hope I don't have to completely reinstall, as my ISP is ripping me off with 70Kb/s for $30 a month and it took close to a week to download it the first time.
Edited by Zenvivia on 8/29/2012 4:00 PM PDT
85 Human Priest
Same issue as everyone else, here are my specs if they help. 100% CPU at login screen and around 225% CPU in game. I have rebooted, moved all the folders around, the works. My computer feel like it is going to fry in game or take off on the run way strip(not sure which will happen first). In game the client becomes unresponsive for large periods of time if there is alot going on around me(in a major city, dungeons, etc.) I often have to close out or reboot to recover. My macbook ran WoW fine before update. Thanks for investigating the matter, please fix before MoP as I won't have access to my desktop(as if that was a concern to you lol).

Hardware Overview:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.68f96
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Intel HD Graphics 3000:
Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0126
Revision ID: 0x0009

System Software Overview:
System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
Boot Volume: Mac HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Edited by Peyronied on 8/29/2012 3:39 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Warrior
Huge drop in performance on my 2012 Macbook air.

Had to lower most of my video settings to low. I didn't have to do that to get 60fps pre patch.

On a side note, can't wait for thunderbolt external GPUs.
90 Undead Mage
I tried everything and nothing worked, then I changed back to Directx9 from Directx 11 and it went from 0.5fps to about 3fps. :D
85 Troll Hunter
I'm having some awful issues since this patch. (more like a wound than a patch but whatever)

I'm experiencing temperatures upwards of 95*C WITH an ice pack on my computer. WoW is running 180% CPU...Seriously? I've played every Blizzard issued game both past and present on this machine (2008 MBP 6GB ram, 10.6.8 OS) and have never seen the temperature go above 82*.

The strange thing is even with WoW using more than is logically possible of my CPU...every background program continues to run smoothly with no hesitation, including opening web pages, opening and playing OTHER games. WoW even runs perfectly fine until I am in a main city and I start to freeze, stutter, rubberband, do the hokey pokey and turn myself around...slowly.

The minute I encounter a Boss in LFR...the whole entire client freezes. Instantly, no stutter, no stammer, gone. Unplayable. Quit process and try again.

This happened yesterday, and after about 5-6 times of relogging, it must have 'kicked' the issue and I played for the rest of the night with no problems. When I logged in today, the issues restarted and I imagine in about 20 minutes i'll be off and along. (I better be, my raid is at 7:30pm)

All systems seem go, about 45ms Home and World, however it does say "0% of download complete" yet I have completely downloaded the patch. Perhaps this may be a clue to the issue?

Sincerely,
-Not impressed
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]