5.0.4 Performance Issue (Similar to D3 Beta)

(Locked)

Do you see 100% CPU usage on the login screen, even completely disconnected from the network? No? Then this thread is not about your problem.

You can't see the forest for the trees.

Yes, I can. The forest is this forum. The tree in question is this specific issue. If you'd like to discuss PC overheating problems, please take that to your own thread. I'm trying to triage a very specific problem. From the original post:

After starting up WoW 5.0.4, the CPU usage goes up to 100% at the login screen.
It uses a whole single core just to display the login screen.

If you're not seeing that problem, then this thread is not for you.
Edited by Htaed on 8/29/2012 4:04 PM PDT
So I just checked my Activity Monitor. NEvermind that I'm running at 178º sitting in Dalaran on my thumbs, but apparently WoW now wants to use 175% of my CPU. I'm not even sure how you can HAVE 175% CPU usage.

Since I didn't say last time, I'm using a:

27" iMac
OSX 10.6.8
3.06 GHz Intel Core2 Duo
4GB 800mhz DDR2 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS

I have my FPS limited through /console to 32fps (but there doesn't seem to be any appreciable difference between 32 and 45 which is where I had it capped in Cata.)
Edited by Arenvald on 8/29/2012 4:18 PM PDT
85 Troll Hunter
Arevald, i'm with you 166% on this.

Raid begins in 15 minutes and i'm clocking record breaking CPU usage...almost REALITY breaking CPU usage.

I'm in Tb stammering around like a wasted chicken. Yet...nothing else I run on my computer is affected even slightly, it's like, WoW is in its own universe, accessing a CPU from a distant planet. My computer doesn't act like it's open, it isn't overheating anymore...WoW just thinks it's using 180% of my CPU when it is extremely obvious that I'm not (how could I have my web browser open taking up another 5%...)

Are you experiencing this as well?
85 Tauren Shaman
Just adding my name to the list of people experiencing this issue; I'm on an OS X 10.6.8, 2 GHz intel core i7...
Although specs don't seem to matter too much, as the issue seems to happen to anyone using a mac.
2 Gnome Warlock
08/29/2012 04:28 PMPosted by Lovehandlez
Just adding my name to the list of people experiencing this issue
90 Blood Elf Priest
08/29/2012 04:31 PMPosted by Myrnaminkoff
Just adding my name to the list of people experiencing this issue
And another for the list:

MBP 7,1 OSX 10.8
2.4 ghz
8 gigs ram
geforce 320m

Just tested with istat and while sitting on login page;

Temp jumped from 130 - 175 and kept climbing up to 188
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I normally read the tech forums but i can't stay silent about this. My computer is boiling 190 to 200 degrees because of this issue. Also wow is using 170% of my cpu which is insane.

My comp specs

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,4
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.49f2
Hardware UUID: 9D00F8B9-760D-5799-8BCE-5F53C8D98962
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0863
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3448
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E53)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 23:15
Edited by Netsuke on 8/29/2012 4:42 PM PDT
85 Troll Hunter
Bump this for days.

Tried to request sticky "You already have done that"

No, No, No I haven't.
90 Night Elf Hunter
C'mon guys, you know Blizz won't ever admit to the problem until they have a fix for it. In a few days, we'll download a hotfix for an "audio issue" and suddenly our problems will be fixed.
85 Tauren Hunter
Just adding myself to the list:

I’m playing an older Macbook Pro
OS X 10.6.8
2.33 GHZ Intel duo core
4 GB 667 Mhz DDR SDRAM

It’s always run pretty warm while playing WoW, but now, even with all the settings turned down to a minimum and fps limited to 20, I can’t play without burning myself on the keyboard.
90 Undead Mage
Bump this for days.

Tried to request sticky "You already have done that"

No, No, No I haven't.
85 Human Mage
La La La ; Same issue.
90 Worgen Druid
For all you non-programmers - multi-core/multi-processor systems have more than 100% CPU available. Each core is 100%. My iMac with Intel Core i7 is a quad-core processor chip, and also has "hyper-threading". Hyper-threading appears to the OS as if each core is 2 processors, so in effect I have 800% CPU available.

Most of the things you do on your computer probably take no more than 5-10% of a processor, so if WoW is taking up 70% of your total processing power, you'll still have plenty left to do things like open a web page, edit a document, or even watch a video. Most of the time you're loading a web page, for example, you're waiting for network traffic.

However, many systems, especially laptops, are not really designed to be run at such high CPU utilization for long periods of time, the extra capacity is so it can finish off things like re-sizing a photo quickly so you don't have to wait. The speed of processors these days is really amazing, most systems are way overkill for what most people ever use them for.

That's why a thread that's using up an entire OS-visible processor (i.e. 1 of the 8 on my hyper-threaded system) can be such a problem, since it is ALWAYS running. Most CPU processes are waiting on things like network or disk data, the CPU goes idle, required power drops, heat produced drops.

When running with limited FPS (including vertical sync), the CPU should simply be going almost idle between frames; even with unlimited FPS, it will still be spending a fair bit of time waiting on the graphics processor (higher graphics settings can actually lead to LOWER CPU usage, but higher GPU utilization).

BTW, I've verified that it's a single thread that's chewing up all the CPU time, but haven't had time to go in and see what it's up to.
90 Undead Mage
Record 102c recorded when I prodded it just now! Standing outside org!

That was within ten seconds of the game being fully loaded.
1 Blood Elf Paladin
Let's see who can get the highest recorded temperature before this gets fixed. Screenshots to prove it. Winner gets a broken computer.
Edited by Krackrocks on 8/29/2012 5:33 PM PDT
90 Human Mage
Throwing in my name as also experiencing a similar issue. For a minute I thought it was Curiosity landing back on Earth. Nope, just my poor little fans.
90 Gnome Death Knight
Performed a clean install on my older machine, including deleting both Live and Beta versions, Diablo III as well as all and any Blizzard, Battle.net related files in ~/Library/Application Support, ~/Library/Preferences (just to be absolutely thorough on my clean install).

Absolutely no effect on this issue. CPU usages still 100% at login window and well above 150% in game.

More than willing to volunteer the use of my machine to the Mac devs or even just fetch them coffee until this problem is resolved - Irvine is just minutes down the road.

Let me know.
90 Human Paladin
Okay so what changed?

Since I first logged on today I have almost gone back to normal, what changed? Only thing I have touched was starting to use the 64-bit client

CPU is 140% and fans on 5300 keeps me at 160F to 170F

I am on a two week old 2012 Macbook Air. 4gig of Ram.

Not saying it is fixed, but a lot closer to home.
90 Worgen Druid
The thread that's using 100% of a CPU, on the login screen and while logged in, is running GetBattlenetAllocator()...ok, can you fix it now?

Oh, and I'm usually running the 64-bit client, but the 32-bit client shows the exact same behavior.
Edited by Growltiger on 8/29/2012 5:54 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]