Thoughts on the patch

90 Human Warlock
So, now that we've had some time to play around with things, what do you guys think about the patch?

Pros:
Arcane is a lot of fun.
All the account wide stuff is awesome!
I like the talent and glyph changes. I think we have far more freedom now than we have in ages if ever.

Cons:
Ret was surprisingly dull. I'm pretty disappointed in it.
Im not in love with the changes to my warlock as well, but I'll admit that Demo is neat.
The boring use of HoT and t13 gear models in the new Scholo/SM.

Neutral:
Several specs didn't change in any meaningful way, so idc.
I've yet to try healing, but my druid looks to be in good shape and Disc looks fun. I'm unsure about the changes to mana pools.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Pros:
I get access to my old titles and mounts.

Cons:
Warrior tanking is REALLY REALLY REALLY slow. I have no intent of playing a prot warrior ever again.
None of the warrior minor glyphs actually do anything. Druids can turn into mounts and mages can hear other languages, but i only get to levitate for 1 second when i shout. what.

Neutral:
Warrior DPSing is ok, i guess?
Edited by Kerrath on 8/29/2012 10:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
08/29/2012 08:48 PMPosted by Lèah
So, now that we've had some time to play around with things

Jeally.
Reply Quote
Kerrath...right now i've noticed that ALL tanking is Really slow...even my druid i feel like im not actively doing anything half the damn time cuz of no pulverize and rage starving Maul.

I'm actually thinking about glyphing back to cheetah for my travel form, this stag is kinda retarded.

Other then that here's my feedback:

Pro's:
1.Mage:Fire is amazing tastic
2Shaman: Totems now feel useful again rather then just lay them down and forget about em
3.Warrior: Clunky but i feel more AoE viable now (cant explain just do)
4.Priest: Disc is fun as !@#$
5.Pally: Not much here
6.Rogue: survivability is retarded high,
7.Warlock: Affliction is fun again ZOMG NEW MINIONS
8.Druid:Tanking is okay, but 6 cooldowns is really excessive (yes thats a pro).
9.Hunter: Pets having any talent build is pretty sweet.

Con's:
1.Mage: frost is a little more of a skill cap (/shrug),
2.Shaman: most of our talents are defensive in nature,
3.Warrior:Rage capped with nothing to do
4.Priest: Personally i dont like shadow anymore
5.Pally: Ret feels slower and more clunky
6.Rogue: hits like a wet noodle, seriously
7.Warlock: Skill Cap +100 you wins the interwebs achieve
8.Druid: Tree of Life is the same cooldown, however now we have to sacrifice two other options, and all the other forms get "improved" versions, why not resto?
9.Hunter: Expertise, really?

Neutral: Achieves/mounts and titles,
COMMA'S
Alliance under every alliance name, cuz i totally didnt know a Human was alliance.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
The only reason why expertise feels awkward for hunters is because our gear doesn't have much of it yet. Non-issue at 90. To be honest, hunters had it good for years because we only had to pack half as many of the boring secondary stats. Now we have to just like everyone else.

08/30/2012 09:20 AMPosted by Gwarrâr
Alliance under every alliance name, cuz i totally didnt know a Human was alliance.

But will that panda you're standing next to be Alliance?

I miss HGWT. Not for raiding but for all the other fun little things I do with others. Cauldron flasks being back to one hour duration isn't a big thing since it still takes fewer mats to make 1 cauldron than 10 flasks and we're not going to have a new cauldron so better to get used to the short duration again.

It's fun having to learn to reheal because I have to pay attention to mana and omg the overhealing is crazy. Never thought the day would come I'd switch back to wanting to use Heal.

What I can't face the thought of is endless dailies.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
You do know that you don't HAVE to do every daily every day, right?

Also, I was kind of hoping the improved archaeology would be out this patch, but I haven't seen anything about it in the notes. Do I have to wait until MoP release? QQ
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
08/30/2012 10:40 AMPosted by Yellowflower

I know I wont be. haha

I do dailies maybe once a month. So the panda ones are going to last me a very very long time.

08/30/2012 10:40 AMPosted by Yellowflower
Also, I was kind of hoping the improved archaeology would be out this patch, but I haven't seen anything about it in the notes. Do I have to wait until MoP release? QQ

I know some changes were in this patch. I don't know what or how much has changed, but I know in guild someone said they were getting up to 6 dig sites per continent.
Edited by Lèah on 8/30/2012 10:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest

I know I wont be. haha

I do dailies maybe once a month. So the panda ones are going to last me a very very long time.

You have to have rep to buy VP gear.

You only get the needed rep via dailies.

How are you going to get geared for raid when raids are tuned for 476 and your dungeon blues are 463?

Endless dailies.
Edited by Joynal on 8/30/2012 12:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest

You should be able to get 6 digs in per site now.

Other than only getting 3 skill ups per solve instead of 5, that's the only real change. Was there something else you were expecting them to do?
Edited by Joynal on 8/30/2012 12:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
You have to have rep to buy VP gear.

You only get the needed rep via dailies.

How are you going to get geared for raid when raids are tuned for 476 and your dungeon blues are 463?

Endless dailies.

I'll probably take 2 months to get geared then. Oh well. :P
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Depends on how many days a week you can play.

The Klaxxi VP gear will unlock 11 sets of dailies after hitting 90 if do all their quest content in the Dread Wastes, that would increase to about 40 sets of dailies if you only do enough content to unlock their first 3 dailies and the quartermaster (dailies aren't unlocked via rep but another method I don't want to post because it would be a spoiler for some).

The Golden Lotus VP gear will unlock after 16 sets of dailies. You can only get 225 rep with them before hitting 90.

To access the dailies for Shado-Pan and August Celestials, you must get Golden Lotus to revered. You cannot access their dailies until then.

If you do all the Shado-pan quest content in Kun-Lai Summit and Townlong Steppes, you'll just barely be honored so once their dailies unlock, it's 15-16 sets of dailies to revered (they offer the least amount of rep per set of dailies).

August Celestials will be 16 sets of dailies to revered after their dailies are unlocked. You can only get 500 rep with this faction before hitting 90.

If you can play every day and do all the questing content that offers rep, you can have them all unlocked in a month. Your first faction should be unlocking before you hit the 3k VP cap so you would lose a minimal amount of VP at most.

If you play two days a week, it will take almost 4 months. If you're the type who tries to VP cap each week, don't bother unless you're also doing the content for other reasons, you'll lose a substantial amount before you're able to unlock even the Klaxxi.

I know that there is change with every expansion. Some I like and some I dislike. I generally don't bother worrying too much about the changes I don't like.

I loathe this one to the very bone because it's not dependent on the hours you play per week but the number of days you play per week. I've already ranted over this in the beta forums after Ghostcrawler replied to a related thread with "If things are too optional, they don't count." so I'll save the rant here but I really don't think this will be good for the game and there will be a lot of players quitting because they'll feel like it takes too long to accomplish anything.

Elitists might say this gear is optional and no one needs it to raid but reality is the majority of players will need it. Most guilds weren't getting past Ultraxion in DS until their gear was creeping up into the 393-395 range (not to mention at least a 10% nerf) and much of that usually came from several pieces of VP gear. There's no reason to think the new raids will be any better by comparison.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
joynal, it really ultimately comes down to this:

you can have the game be set up where there is always stuff to do no matter how much time you put into the game

OR

you can have the game be set up where you beat the game in 1 day every week and spend the rest of the week having no reason to log on

that's all there really is to it.

let's say it takes 4 months to grind out the required raid gear. is there something fundamentally wrong with that? so it takes 4 months. dragon soul has been out for like, 9 months ish. 4 months, when you consider that, isn't a whole lot of time.

and it's not as though there aren't alternative ways to acquire gear.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
let's say it takes 4 months to grind out the required raid gear. is there something fundamentally wrong with that? so it takes 4 months. dragon soul has been out for like, 9 months ish. 4 months, when you consider that, isn't a whole lot of time.

and it's not as though there aren't alternative ways to acquire gear.

Pretty much my thoughts. I play often enough, I just don't care to grind the same quests everyday. And there's nothing wrong with that or those that want to. I just prefer doing other things with my WoW time usually. So it will take me a while. It honestly doesn't bother me. Even if it means I'll be a little bit behind other people. This is BWR. If I wanted to be at the cutting edge of character progression I'd be somewhere else. XD

08/30/2012 01:28 PMPosted by Joynal
Most guilds weren't getting past Ultraxion in DS until their gear was creeping up into the 393-395 range (not to mention at least a 10% nerf) and much of that usually came from several pieces of VP gear.

Maybe on this server....that's kinda depressing though. I downed him before any nerfs in a group where most of us were 385-390 at the time. O.o
Edited by Sorya on 8/30/2012 3:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
well, dailies may well not be your thing. if it was up to me, there would be more emphasis on 5 mans all around but that's just because traditionally 5 mans have been my favorite content.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
You can do all the content there is to do in the game in a single day?

Not Blizzard's issue if you don't want to participate in all the content they provide. If you only want to raid, then log in that one day it takes you to raid and find other things to do the rest of the week.

But at the least you have the opportunity to clear that raid in that one day as much as other players have the opportunity to clear it in 2-3 days if that's how they want to play.

Someone who would like to get their rep for the week but only plays 2-3 days can't do while someone who plays 7 days can. That means it takes them more than 3 times as long to access gear, even if they're playing 16 hours a week while the person playing 7 days a week only logs on for 7 hours.

Is that fair?
Edited by Joynal on 8/30/2012 6:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
You can do all the content there is to do in the game in a single day?

Not Blizzard's issue if you don't want to participate in all the content they provide. If you only want to raid, then log in that one day it takes you to raid and find other things to do the rest of the week.

It takes about 1 hour to full clear 8/8hm dragon soul on a bad night, 1-3 hours to cap conquest points depending on luck with enemies, and from there, uh... well, I guess I could farm minipets, mounts, and other !@#$ that I don't actually want. So, that's 4 hours of content that actually improves my character on a bad week. Anything else I do does not actively improve my character.

But that's the thing. If they don't improve my character, then I don't want to do it because it doesn't improve my character. If they DO improve my character, then you'll want it to be that you can do it along with everything else that improves your character within that 10 hour maximum time slot.

Your goals are mutually exclusive from mine.

08/30/2012 06:44 PMPosted by Joynal
Is that fair?

Yes. You're making it seem as though there aren't alternative means of gearing up, too. There's LFR, and from my understanding, PvP gear will be less bad than it normally would be in PvE.
Edited by Kerrath on 8/30/2012 8:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Like running around in GS last night as orcas was doing anything to improve our characters?

Not everyone want to spend every available minute of their game time grinding things to improve their character. Some actually play just to have fun.

I'm not saying that Blizzard needs to take dailies out of the equation. But they need to do something so players spending equal amounts of time can get equal rewards whether that time is spread out over 7 days a week or just 2 days.

For you, it would still take up the same amount of your time each week, leaving you bored after that. It's also only going to last for you maybe 2 months into the expansion, at which point you're only going to be able to improve your character via heroic raid. LFR gear, VP gear, none of that stuff will improve your character anymore. Blizzard said they plan to push out new content when players have completed the current, but which players? The best in the world who will have the content cleared on heroic within 10 weeks of the expansion launch, or the average players who will need 5-6 months just to clear normal modes?

Blizzard didn't fix the issue of player boredom by changing the dailies system. They just made the system unfriendly to players who can't play daily.

As for gear:

LFR is a crap shoot. Gear is 476 coming from MSV and 483 from HoF/TES.

People could grind out Conquest gear (483) if they want but why? They shouldn't feel forced to PvP for gear anymore than PvPers should be feel forced to raid for better trinkets and weapons. You're also going to have the usual "you can raid if you're wearing PvP gear, it's useless for PvE" idiots. It won't matter how much you try to explain the system to them, they won't listen. It's still not going to help players who rely on pugs for their raiding.

Players still had these options for gearing in Cata but still they needed to turn to VP gear as well. And VP gear is now out of reach without rep grinding. If you can't play every day, you can't have access as soon as everyone else even if you put in the same net time. That's a problem.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]