Thrall

08/25/2012 08:05 AMPosted by Arberus
Actually it was already said by Metzen and Brack that Thrall would be Warchief again.

Not Entirely accurate.

Ealry on in Beta, when the question was asked, they said Thrall would be coming back. Not necesarily that he'd be warchief, but probably.

There was a huge backlash. Someone else from Blizzard came and said basically that 'not everything from that interview was entirely correct.'

He didn't elaborate which part was not true, of course, but it's possible Thrall won't become warchief again.

Personally, after Cata and The Shattering and all the mubo jumbo about him committing fully to a roll, and becoming World Shaman... it'd be just silly if he becomes warchief now.
Edited by Aurriastraza on 8/25/2012 10:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
How things will most likely go anyways:

Thrall- Hey guys, I know I kinda ditched you for the shaman gig and all, but seeing as Metzen would probably cry if I weren't an important part of the story anymore, I'm gonna go ahead and be Warchief again! :D In fact I think I'll just go ahead and be an integral part of the whole siege of Orgrimmar! :D
Reply Quote
I would rather have the Warchief be someone other than an Orc. I mean, I know Orcs are the "main" race of the Horde, but it would be interesting to have Sylvanas, Baine, Vol'jin, or someone else as Warchief. To be honest, I'm just tired with the Orcs. Garrosh is crazy, blinded by hate towards the Alliance, and completely in love with war. Thrall is a pacifistic, soft-skinned hippie. Could we have someone as Warchief that's a little more "in the middle", per se? I don't know. It may be a horrible idea, but I think that it's worth a shot...
Edited by Erezio on 8/25/2012 11:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
Only if Baine grows a spine.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
While Baine or Vol'jin would be great choices for Warchief, I doubt that the orcs would handle being replaced as the "main" race of the Horde very well.
Reply Quote
21 Blood Elf Rogue
08/25/2012 11:03 AMPosted by Deadfist
While Baine or Vol'jin would be great choices for Warchief, I doubt that the orcs would handle being replaced as the "main" race of the Horde very well.

That's what I'm worried about.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
08/25/2012 11:03 AMPosted by Deadfist

They don't have to be replaced. They could be brought on equal ground.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
08/25/2012 11:42 AMPosted by Spacemuffin
They don't have to be replaced. They could be brought on equal ground.

They could be, were it not for the fact that Warcraft at its core has always been (and still very much is) Orcs vs. Humans, I mean just look at our latest cinematic. I doubt that Blizz has plans to change this any time soon, regardless of the non-orc characters with good heads on their shoulders.
Reply Quote
26 Night Elf Druid
In the Garrosh raid the players need to beat him into the ground. Once he reaches idk lets say 0.5% it goes into a cut scene and the shadowhunters show up. Vol'jin puts an arrow through garrosh's throat and then sits on the warchief chair/throne or w/e. Or replace vol'jin and shadowhunters with baine and the shamans/druids/sunwalkers. Lets try and keep green jesus off the throne. I know metzen is leading it but it'd just be embarrassing to put thrall back on. Seriously lets develop some other characters, it'd be interesting to see a Baine horde. Honestly most of the orcs will probably be dead, or atleast they should be, for supporting garrosh and defending him. This should probably just be a lore point and not an in-game point but they should at least remark how many horde die in defense of orgrimmar.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
08/25/2012 09:56 AMPosted by Deadfist
Really all the fault lies with Blizzard's initial inability to decide between the "headstrong yet honorable" Garrosh and the "bloodthirsty and bigoted" Garrosh.

It's made apparent in ToW that they chose "bloodthirsty and bigoted" Garrosh.
Reply Quote
08/25/2012 08:13 AMPosted by Gollard
I like Garrosh be he actually acts like an Orc

Saurfang and about half of the Orc poppulation disagrees with you.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
08/26/2012 12:08 PMPosted by Môko
I like Garrosh be he actually acts like an Orc

Saurfang and about half of the Orc poppulation disagrees with you.

Actually its said most of the orcs support Garrosh. So yeah.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Actually....

*Thrall picks up the shoulderpads of Garrosh*
Thrall: The weight.... of such a burdon... it must be mine for there is no other to---

Me: Thrall! You hold the grim destiny of the horde in your hands brother but it is not your own....

*I am sitting on the Ogrimmar Throne*

Thrall: By all that is elemental......

Me: The Dark Shaman's creation SEALED MY FATE!!! The world of the Alliance... can no longer comfort me... Place the armor upon my shoulders Go'el and forever more I will be the jailer of the Horde....

Thrall: But I have to i jus---

Me: DO IT THRALL!!! You and Aggra really need to go away everyone is tired of seeing you... just go...

Me: You wont be forgotten human.....

Me: I must be forgotten!!! If the world is to live free from the fear that the horde will either attack or be lead by a peace loving hippie then they must never know what was done here today.....

*Thrall places Garrosh's shoulder pads upon me and the room begins to shake as my eyes turn green and green fire shoots out*

Me: Tell them only... that the Warchief is dead.... and tell them that... a random alliance player died with him.....

There ill become warchief ill take the burdon.

YES!, This is exactly what needs to happen!
Reply Quote
50 Human Rogue
Nooooo for the love of.... noooooo.

I like Garrosh be he actually acts like an Orc. And just giving the Horde Thrall will tick off more Alliance players because we had to help him through Cata and theres a lot of Horde who are just as sick of him. Anyone but Thrall please.

I wasn't aware that Orcs use mana bombs to kill entire cities from being bat-!@#$ crazy. I'm pretty sure Garrosh is going to isolated after this. Baine hates him A LOT, Vol'jin doesn't like him, either. No idea about the Trade Princess whats-her-face, no idea about the current Belf leader and Sylvannas has never really liked him, even though she probably laughed at the bombing.

Orcs, while they tend to be rather aggressive and violent, have completely shown they're capable of thinking and using higher powers. Garrosh doesn't think anymore. I seriously wouldn't be confused about anything anymore if he became a peon.

I personally don't really want Thrall sitting as Warchief again.. because he's a huge f*cking mary-stu, BUT, I definitely don't want Garrosh because he is NOT suitable to be a Warchief anymore. His actions have caused turmoil within the Horde itself and now, the Alliance are VERY angry. That isn't a good sign at all.
Edited by Jeliana on 8/26/2012 1:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Saurfang for Warchief, can't think of anyone more qualified that seems like an actually balanced character, and he's been Thrall's right hand man for a long time.
Edited by Fatpanda on 11/17/2012 1:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
08/25/2012 08:25 AMPosted by Gollard
Actually....

Old joke is old
Reply Quote
08/26/2012 01:07 PMPosted by Jeliana
No idea about the Trade Princess whats-her-face, no idea about the current Belf leader and Sylvannas has never really liked him, even though she probably laughed at the bombing.

Trade Prince Gallywix likes Garrosh because he sees profit to be made in War.

Lor'themar Theron has joined Baine and Vol'jin in hating Garrosh in patch 5.1.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I liked Thrall a lot. I still like him. However, there are some very compelling reasons that he shouldn't be war chief again, the most relevant being that many of the Horde's current problems are partly his fault. In many cases, Garrosh just exacerbated what was already present.

Thrall's flaw was that he couldn't figure out how to really set the Horde on a new course. He wanted, in essence, the orcs to behave more like humans, which was good. However, in attempting to inspire the orcs with stories of "honor", he had to reach back and mythologize some pretty horrible people.

Now, this might not have been so bad if he'd gone far enough back into orcish history, to the actions of historical figures whose actions were too distant to really matter, and which could easily be changed to a more convenient political narrative. However, he screwed up by making Orgrim Doomhammer the model for orcs to follow. Whether or not Orgrim was a horrible person, most of Azeroth certainly remembers him that way (and personally, I don't care how reluctant Orgrim was to go along with the Old Horde; he still went along with it, and was a monster for so doing).

So basically you have these orcs, fresh out of the brutally mismanaged prison camps, possibly still going through withdrawal, and finally being told that they could be great and honorable. This had to be amazing to hear; the possibility of redemption can be incredibly powerful.

The problem was that their only models for so doing were: Orgrim (a cruel and rapacious conqueror), Grom (only slightly better), and Thrall. The problem is that the orcish past was probably never all that noble, and was still mired in an iron age mentality of might makes right, a mentality that simply doesn't fit in Azeroth's more developed society (where might still makes right, but also allows for aspirational values [which can be profoundly powerful, if slow] of something better).

The peons are another example. Maybe the lot of peons was better under Thrall, but it still sucked for them. A society that allows the vast majority of its population to be spat upon is never going to be very healthy.

What Thrall ought to have done is to make the orcs realize that, if they were going to be redeemed, they had to actually break with the past. The average orc's knowledge of humans was probably pretty limited, so Thrall could have probably enabled cultural transformation to a more peaceable state without raising too many eyebrows, at least back then when the orcs were still vulnerable.

Instead, he took half-measures. All Garrosh did was take it to the next step, which Thrall would have probably been unable to stop by Wrathgate.

Thrall's probably even less suitable now; by embracing Aggra's essentialist identity politics, he'll be even more about these harmful notions of orcish tradition.

So no; Thrall's time is done. He did the best he could, and given his situation, it was impressive. It's time for someone new, however. I'm thinking Vol'jin (who will be pragmatic without falling into Thrall's confused idealism or Garrosh's idiotic machismo) or Baine (who will actually try to be good).
Edited by Felya on 11/17/2012 3:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
I wasn't aware that Orcs use mana bombs to kill entire cities from being bat-!@#$ crazy. I'm pretty sure Garrosh is going to isolated after this. Baine hates him A LOT, Vol'jin doesn't like him, either. No idea about the Trade Princess whats-her-face, no idea about the current Belf leader and Sylvannas has never really liked him, even though she probably laughed at the bombing.

The orcs have used WMDs before. Remember the red mist they used when they invaded Shattrath? There's no real difference between gassing innocent draenei and blowing up Theramore. At least the people of Theramore got a quick death.

Orcs, while they tend to be rather aggressive and violent, have completely shown they're capable of thinking and using higher powers. Garrosh doesn't think anymore. I seriously wouldn't be confused about anything anymore if he became a peon.

The orcs always rush into situations. That's what they do. Even the wisest among them like Thall rushes into situations without thinking about them: that's why Garrosh is on the throne in the first place.

I personally don't really want Thrall sitting as Warchief again.. because he's a huge f*cking mary-stu, BUT, I definitely don't want Garrosh because he is NOT suitable to be a Warchief anymore. His actions have caused turmoil within the Horde itself and now, the Alliance are VERY angry. That isn't a good sign at all.

Garrosh is more in line with the other Warchiefs we've had in the past. Thrall is the odd one out, really.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]