Assassination vs Combat PvP

85 Blood Elf Death Knight
I was wondering which is better as of now and if anyone could give a gist of the chosen specs rotation.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I think sub still is be the best choice. Shadow dance brings a lot of utility and can increase the skill cap on a team.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
^
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Every time I see a Sub rogue in a battle ground, that rogue's dps is the overall lowest. I suggest learning to play Assassination, it's a different play style but I'm getting a lot of damage and killing blows out.
Reply Quote
08/28/2012 11:40 PMPosted by Nausëa
Every time I see a Sub rogue in a battle ground, that rogue's dps is the overall lowest. I suggest learning to play Assassination, it's a different play style but I'm getting a lot of damage and killing blows out.

People just need time to adjust.

Stacking mastery I'm at 62% right now. I hate not being able to move talent points around to make a specifically non-backstab spec, but currently using hemo for fast cp generation to get lots of eviscerates off is very powerful. They hit extremely hard.

Although unless they do something about the shadowdance bar Sub is going to be annoying.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
All three specs need mastery for PVP at the moment.
Reply Quote
Now that 5.0 is live, I was able to do some basic dummy testing with my addons (I was pretty busy the past few months so I didn't get to use the beta as much as I'd like), and here's what I have found:

*note: When I say DPS, I refer to damage per SECOND, not necessarily bursts or overall damage.

ASSASSINATION
Our assassination (mut, for short) spec has always been notorious for being energy deprived, due to the high energy cost of our main attack mutilate. This doesn't change in MoP, but as is to be expected with mut, I am doing very high sustained DPS off the bat. This is not to say that the damage of the other two specs is bad, but speaking PURELY numbers and assuming that in PVP you keep a pure DPS-only rotation (which is quite unlikely that you will), you will be hitting higher numbers with mut spec.

COMBAT
On the dummy, while in combat spec, I did get to the same DPS numbers as mut, but it took some time to ramp up to it, which is natural for combat. However, in PVP I don't think you can ever really rely on pure numbers alone. When I'm just messing around on BGs, I will most likely just doodle around on mut, or sometimes even sub, but when I'm doing RBGs with my guild, I will most likely go combat, why? Combat is not as energy starved as mut and the new change to the RvS debuff, while it's numbers are too small to rely exclusively, is a nice boost to balance energy out a bit. With this extra energy, you will have more room in PVP to dump energy on stuns, recups, expose armors (we'll need it against warriors in MoP, seeing as to how they've become the !@#$ing Hulk now), etc.

In short, mut has higher numbers, but it is energy starved and combat (and sub, despite its nerfs) offers more utility, which is much more valuable in 98% of PVP settings, imo
Reply Quote
Just to reiterate from my comment above, I haven't gotten a chance yet to do extensive, in-field testing on 5.0, I just had 30 minutes to kill on dummies this morning before I had to head out. Most of my information so far is based on recount charts from dummy fights and theorizing based on what I've seen.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]