Sword Art Online

85 Blood Elf Paladin
If you're a WoW or Diablo player and an Anime fan, this show is absolutely perfect for you.

Originally a Light Novel in japan, It was eventually turned into an anime. It has seven episodes out right now.

Going through a small summary, it takes place 10 years from now, where science has perfected full immersion virtual reality. The show is about an MMORPG that uses this technology, and the characters are essentially trapped in the virtual world. If they die in game, they die IRL, and the only way out is to beat all 100 floors.

On thing I enjoy about the series is it occasionally pokes fun at existing RPG elements (Guys Pretending to be Girls for example)

In the anime, two years have passed so far and top players are at around the 60th floor out of 100.
How's that for hardcore progression Blizzard?! :P

You'll find all the information about the show on the Wiki
http://swordartonline.wikia.com/wiki/Sword_Art_Online_Wiki
I've also included the opening to the series as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2jIF0Y9o7o&feature=related
( I do apologize the spanish subtitled one is the only high quality version on youtube)
Edited by Enerrgy on 8/24/2012 6:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
You can check out the light novel on http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Sword_Art_Online.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
I have to confess to laughing my way through most of the loot drama episode. ^_^ The art is pretty nice though, too. I have a landscape screenshot from episode 5 as my desktop background right now.

Not sure if I'd call it immersive, but it's a good series.

There's also a manga being published concurrent with the anime, think it's up to 7-8 chapters.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Yeah I agree that it's a pretty good show, the world and the atmosphere in particular imo. Looking forward to the main plot coming back into play after all these side stories.

I would still have to say that there are a few shows I personally enjoy more this current season (Kokoro Connect, Tari Tari and Jinrui wa Suitai Shima!@#$a, imo). It's easily subject to change though, only a quarter of the way through the story so they still have a lot of time to change my opinion.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
08/24/2012 06:09 PMPosted by Enerrgy
On thing I enjoy about the series is it occasionally pokes fun at existing RPG elements (Guys Pretending to be Girls for example)

I loved that bit.

<poof> Everyone's avatars suddenly look like the actual players

"I thought you were a girl?"
"You said you were 18!"

There was another series a while back called Masters of Epic. Was more Skit comedy about MMOs touched on a lot of fun stuff: The disconnect between characters and players, Players Blocking access to the bank with their mounts, Hunter types treating their pets as fodder,

Lot of fun
Edited by Drakmor on 8/25/2012 3:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
Episode 8 reconnected with the manga, so the stand-alone episodes might be done.

PS: Also the fact that he's not wielding the sword he got in episode 7 isn't a continuity break, just in case anyone else noticed. What he's done with it will be a reveal in 2-3 episodes if they follow the manga.
Edited by Verelyse on 8/25/2012 11:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Yeah I'm pretty sure they ran out of side-stories to adapt (even though I think I heard there might be one more farther in but I could be wrong).

The eighth episode was a nice breath of fresh air after all the side-stories, I really enjoyed it. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this show from here on out.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Loving SAO. Never watched .hack but I'm being told this is done better.

I've also grown fond of Arcana Famiglia, Jinrui Wa Sawhatever the heck and Accel World.

But yeah, SAO is amusing as an MMO player. Pick up on a lot of little digs or nuggets of information you might not pick up on if you didn't play MMOs.

For example, the second episode or something mentioned resources being 'finite'. I assume he just meant the spawns would be camped so no one could progress.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
In my opinion, it's a really terrible series. The pacing is awful, the main character is a Gary Stu, characters are introduced one episode then completely forgotten the next, drama is forced, and the plot contradictions could fill a dictionary. It was a great concept, but it had horrible execution.
Edited by Scurge on 8/26/2012 10:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
I don't mind SAO, and I like it quite a bit more than the .hack// stuff I've seen (which admittedly hasn't been too much, so I may be missing out). The graphics are really nice and the characters resonate reasonably well, which is enough to keep me coming back every week at least. Which is nice, because Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate and Accel World both seem to've lost traction lately (imo, anyway).

Hope we get some good titles this fall in any case, spring and summer haven't been that great.

08/26/2012 02:12 AMPosted by Soeroah
For example, the second episode or something mentioned resources being 'finite'. I assume he just meant the spawns would be camped so no one could progress.

Depends on the MMO, several have toyed with finite resources or resource recycling systems (keeping track of the gold and raw materials on a server and not allowing them to go over a certain cap based on server population/other criteria). I haven't heard of anything like that recently, but it's possible it's a more common mechanic in Asian MMOs than we see over here.
Edited by Verelyse on 8/26/2012 8:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Two years worth of !@#$%
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
08/28/2012 08:32 PMPosted by Bluerose
Two years worth of !@#$%

There've been a couple decent ones in that time.

I'm sorry Guilty Crown wasn't as good as it could've been, though.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin

I'm kinda glad that I didn't bother starting Guilty Crown. From what I heard, it had amazing potential and great animation but it just ended up......well umm a possible contender for disappointment of the year?

Seems like I saved myself the time. Oh well, there are many more animes to watch. >.>
Edited by Surya on 8/29/2012 9:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
08/28/2012 08:32 PMPosted by Bluerose
Two years worth of !@#$%

GLOP
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
Episode 9 was really good. The "gameplay" and battles have become a lot more fluid/heroic.

I'm kinda glad that I didn't bother starting Guilty Crown. From what I heard, it had amazing potential and great animation but it just ended up......well umm a possible contender for disappointment of the year?

Seems like I saved myself the time. Oh well, there are many more animes to watch. >.>

It wasn't bad, per se. It just had a weird problem for an anime: they tried to do too much plot too quickly, and ended up with a lot of weird loose ends (example: who the !@#$ are Yuu and the Daath?!).

It was a good story, and they did some really interesting things with Shu's character (off the top of my head he goes from an anti-social high schooler to a reluctant hero to a savior to a dictator to a tyrant, gets betrayed and loses absolutely everything but then manages to redeem himself and ends the story as a tragic hero/martyr; which is a ton of turn-over for your main lead/protagonist to go through in 22 episodes).

They took a lot of risks with the story; some of them paid off and some didn't.

It was an interesting ride overall, though.

And it was simply beautiful when Shu gave Ayase her void in episode 13. That alone was worth the series.
Edited by Verelyse on 9/3/2012 8:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
09/03/2012 08:10 AMPosted by Verelyse
Episode 9 was really good. The "gameplay" and battles have become a lot more fluid/heroic.

Definitely agree, the last two episodes have really stepped it up. They have really revitalized my interested in the show.

I really like Asuna and I would have to say that Kirito has been growing on me which I kind of find amusing. Usually, a main character with an archetype such as his I would generally dislike due to the clearly thick plot armor, being borderline overpowered compared to the rest of the cast (*cough* Ichigo *cough*), etc. I somehow still like him as a character.

Maybe it's because of the nice counter-balance Asuna provides and his modesty.

It wasn't bad, per se. It just had a weird problem for an anime: they tried to do too much plot too quickly, and ended up with a lot of weird loose ends (example: who the !@#$ are Yuu and the Daath?!).

It was a good story, and they did some really interesting things with Shu's character (off the top of my head he goes from an anti-social high schooler to a reluctant hero to a savior to a dictator to a tyrant, gets betrayed and loses absolutely everything but then manages to redeem himself and ends the story as a tragic hero/martyr; which is a ton of turn-over for your main lead/protagonist to go through in 22 episodes).

They took a lot of risks with the story; some of them paid off and some didn't.

It was an interesting ride overall, though.

And it was simply beautiful when Shu gave Ayase her void in episode 13. That alone was worth the series.

Well I didn't really say that it was bad. I'm not one to go out and state that something is bad just because other people say it's bad without experiencing it myself. I haven't seen the show so I can't honestly say that it was bad.

I was saying that if anything, from what I've seen from reviews and taking into account the amount of hype it had, that you could possibly classify it as a disappointment. I mean of course that's somewhat subjective and this is just my point of view from an outside perspective.

It may be a show I will get around to watching eventually just for the sake of watching it, but my current backlog is long enough that I doubt it will be anytime soon.

On another note Verelyse, I find it amusing yet kinda of sad (wtb more civil anime fans) that basically you and I are the only ones still trying to have a any semblance of a discussion concerning the show.

I admit I may have caused a bit of a deviation with the Guilty Crown topic, but still find it interesting to have a discussion with someone else watching the show that has a civil, agreeable disposition. We need more anime fans like that. ^_^
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
Well I didn't really say that it was bad.

Sorry, worded that somewhat poorly. I didn't mean to imply that you did. :)

Just meant to clarify that even though I started off by criticizing it, I didn't think it was too bad overall.

I admit I may have caused a bit of a deviation with the Guilty Crown topic, but still find it interesting to have a discussion with someone else watching the show that has a civil, agreeable disposition. We need more anime fans like that. ^_^

Agreed!

I really like Asuna and I would have to say that Kirito has been growing on me which I kind of find amusing. Usually, a main character with an archetype such as his I would generally dislike due to the clearly thick plot armor, being borderline overpowered compared to the rest of the cast (*cough* Ichigo *cough*), etc. I somehow still like him as a character.

I think part of it is that the whole beater thing made him just enough of an anti-hero to be interesting. And that he's effectively a loner who trusted no one until he started running with Asuna. He deals with his own problems to the best of his ability, with an almost cynical recognition that he could get himself killed, but he'd rather take that risk than involve other people in his problems or ambitions (or be involved in theirs).

The characterization is a bit predictable, but his maturity still lets you take him seriously.

And then Asuna comes along and knocks a few cracks in his cynicism.

I haven't read any of the light novels, and we're about an episode or two away from catching up with the manga, so it'll be neat to see some new main plot material I haven't already read through up til now.
Edited by Verelyse on 9/3/2012 3:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Sorry, worded that somewhat poorly. I didn't mean to imply that you did. :)

Just meant to clarify that even though I started off by criticizing it, I didn't think it was too bad overall.

No worries. :) Looking back at my post, I did somewhat come across a bit harsh towards the show so I could see how you could see me as thinking it was bad. I probably could have worded my post a little better, too.

I understood what you were trying to say and can respect that you enjoyed the show overall but are still able to look at it objectively and point out its flaws. But I'll try to get back on topic, I think I've complimented you enough for one day hehe. ;)

I think part of it is that the whole beater thing made him just enough of an anti-hero to be interesting. And that he's effectively a loner who trusted no one until he started running with Asuna. He deals with his own problems to the best of his ability, with an almost cynical recognition that he could get himself killed, but he'd rather take that risk than involve other people in his problems or ambitions (or be involved in theirs).

The characterization is a bit predictable, but his maturity still lets you take him seriously.

And then Asuna comes along and knocks a few cracks in his cynicism.

I haven't read any of the light novels, and we're about an episode or two away from catching up with the manga, so it'll be neat to see some new main plot material I haven't already read through up til now.

Okay, first off I would like to say that I haven't read any of the light novels or the manga (even though I've been meaning to check out the light novel but keep getting distracted -_-); so these are my thoughts on the matter without knowing if they expanded on Kiritos feelings/thoughts/motives/etc any further in the original materials.

I agree with you for the most part concerning the bolded statements. The one thing I'm not sure on is the matter of "trust". I'm not so sure if it's trust issues that cause of him to insist on playing solo. I was thinking it was more of a fear issue.

I mean think back to the episode where he joined his first guild and became friends with them only to have them all get wiped out and have the guild leader commit suicide because they overestimated his abilities and thought that every little thing was going to be alright (damn it, now I have that song stuck in my head....) because he was with them.

I think that was an incredibly traumatic event for him and he took a serious blow to his psyche because of it. He is a guy that is fully aware of his capabilities and his limitations but may very well be afraid of people overestimating his capabilities and relying on him to much to the point of them completely lowering their guard.

I also think that due to that event, he may be afraid of losing the ones that are close to him so he just goes to the extreme of not letting anyone get close to him in the first place. He is a very overprotective person, to the point that if he fails at protecting them he blames himself very harshly and begins to hate himself. He would rather work alone and potentially die alone versus witnessing another friend die in front of him without him being able to do anything about it. It may be a little extreme and a little selfish but i haven't really seen anything to think that trust issues are involved, too. I could very well be wrong though. There could very well be some underlying trust issues that we don't know about or I've just completely overlooked.

It's a bit of an exception with Asuna though. He's fully aware of her capabilities and knows that she can kick !@# and take names with the best of them so he doesn't have to worry to much about her keeping up with him. She probably gets bonus points for being a master cook though; she has him eating out of the palm of her hand at this point in that regard hehe.

I could very well be over thinking this, too. It wouldn't be the first time.....Either way I'm going to end this wall of text for the sake of everyone else's sanity. *collapses in bed and falls asleep*.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]