WoW ruined my computer.

90 Human Mage
How can a piece of software ruin your computer. I'm not quite sure I understand the logic in all this.

Perhaps WoW, a piece of software, is having a conflict of some sort with other software and it's causing the system to be unstable? Is that more accurate.

Because I seriously doubt there is any real damage that "ruined" anything...

If anything, it's a major inconvenience because you'll have to re-install your OS. Which, lets be honest here, you were probably long overdue for anyways.

it is possible to damage computer hardware with programs (accidental or intentional). getting rid of the cause to enable repairs is the hard part.
Edited by Shadowmerc on 8/29/2012 1:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
A lot of people missed the fact that the MoP xpac will require a dual-core system. The current patch supposedly auto-detects whether or not your computer has a 64-bit client and if so launches that automatically.

This sort of thing has cropped up before and it has always been due to human error."

HAL9000 -- 2001: A Space Odyssey

I have a quad core system, running Windows 7, everything up to date. It's now e-waste thanks to this patch. Can't even boot Windows up.
Reply Quote
A lot of people missed the fact that the MoP xpac will require a dual-core system. The current patch supposedly auto-detects whether or not your computer has a 64-bit client and if so launches that automatically.

HAL9000 -- 2001: A Space Odyssey

I have a quad core system, running Windows 7, everything up to date. It's now e-waste thanks to this patch. Can't even boot Windows up.

what do you plan on doing?
Reply Quote
tried cleaning the graphics card, and still nothing. its almost even worse as this time i got to the log in screen and clicked on system and it immediately crashed..
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
08/29/2012 01:42 PMPosted by Snowfox
Its a mac, it was already a $2000 paper weight beforehand.

heh
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Jigsir, can you provide a DXDIAG:

Click on Start
Click on Run (Windows Vista/Windows 7; use the search function)
Type in dxdiag and press enter
Once it's done loading, click on save all info
Open the text file, copy the entire contents of it and paste it into your next reply
Reply Quote
I am trying but now I cant even get a screen to come up when I turn on my computer. When it does show up I will post it
Reply Quote
yup computers completely shot....
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior

IF I have to reinstall my entire OS, I'm done with WoW and Blizz, that's for sure. I put in a ticket late last night/early morning. The reply I got was less than helpful (provided a link to patch issues resolutions -- CS kind of missed where I said Windows won't even run now, much less WoW), so I reopened that ticket since no solution was provided. I expected there to be bugs, always happens with new software/patches/etc., but what I did NOT expect was for this patch to cause my OS to crash.
Reply Quote

IF I have to reinstall my entire OS, I'm done with WoW and Blizz, that's for sure. I put in a ticket late last night/early morning. The reply I got was less than helpful (provided a link to patch issues resolutions -- CS kind of missed where I said Windows won't even run now, much less WoW), so I reopened that ticket since no solution was provided. I expected there to be bugs, always happens with new software/patches/etc., but what I did NOT expect was for this patch to cause my OS to crash.

Yea i cannot get windows run now either. Im about to lose it...
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I had something similar happen to me last month. Turned out the motherboard was bad. The PCI-e slot I had my video card in died.

Luckily the Motherboard has a 5 year warranty. I sent it in and they sent me a new one.

Do you have more then one slot you could try your video card in?
Reply Quote
I had something similar happen to me last month. Turned out the motherboard was bad. The PCI-e slot I had my video card in died.

Luckily the Motherboard has a 5 year warranty. I sent it in and they sent me a new one.

Do you have more then one slot you could try your video card in?

I could possibly try that, thanks for the suggestion.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
Bump, Blizz needs to see this as many people are having this problem.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
hehe, back when WOTLK came out, i played the game about 45 min, then a black polygon impaled a npc and the game crashed 2-3 sec after. Restarted the game to see a beautiful and colorful login screen (textures were rendering in all kind of colors). After that I had to run windows in safe mode and even then, there were black doted lines on the screen.

Turned out my graphic card was burnt up, I was actually more mad at the fact that I had to wait 2 days to be able to play than the actual bill (=. Was it caused by the game? Might be, but this could happened with any games. If your car breaks, don't blame the road.

08/29/2012 02:21 PMPosted by Jigsir
tried cleaning the graphics card, and still nothing. its almost even worse as this time i got to the log in screen and clicked on system and it immediately crashed..

May I ask how you "cleaned" your graphic card? Electronic is very sensitive to static electricity, gotta use a duster or something alike.

And for everyone else that are still able to start their computer and get to windows, the new expansion doesn't support a wide range of old cards anymore. It would be nice if you provided more information on what kind of computer you are using. You know? simple stuff like cpu, graphic card, ram.

08/29/2012 01:52 PMPosted by Okriñ
Just re install everything, or buy a new computer.

because everyone has at least $700 straight up, right there.

Don't expect a 700$ computer to last very long in term of performance. Especially if you bought a laptop. Even if blizzard's game don't require much juice, the recommended specs are usually good to run the game at medium settings and this could change depending on your setup. General stores like Best buy or Wall mart will sell you what cost less for them, go to a specialized store and pay 200-300$ more. As weird as it may sound, a 1000$ computer built for gaming will still be able to play latest games on highest settings 3 years later. Lower the price by 300$ and you have to cut off on expensive parts like graphic card or CPU. Paying 500$ for a gaming computer is like buying a horse and expect it to go as fast as a car.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
for what its worth after attempting to install the patch yesterday afternoon my computer would no longer boot (even to bios). turns out something fried my video card and mother board. boyfriend replaced both and it installed the patch fine however the patch is still incredibly glitchy and constantly freezes my machine.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
08/29/2012 03:31 PMPosted by Rawlie
for what its worth after attempting to install the patch yesterday afternoon my computer would no longer boot (even to bios). turns out something fried my video card and mother board. boyfriend replaced both and it installed the patch fine however the patch is still incredibly glitchy and constantly freezes my machine.

My guess is that "something" is related to this patch. Too many reports of similar issues, computers completely shutting down, etc. after installing. Too many to just be coincidence. Anyone want to buy a cata pvp geared 85 orc warrior who has Thunderfury? Plus 7 other 85s on the account...I kid, but it's nearing that point for me. Heck, I couldn't play right now even if I wanted to, as my computer is now seemingly fried.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Well, it's a normal behavior to some point, the game requires more juice, the card works harder and dies faster. This kind of thing could have happened with any new game. Computer parts do have a life time, especially graphic cards. Like I said earlier, the same thing happened to me with WOTLK. They made a lot of graphic improvement on that expansion as well. Even if the graphic card can handle it, use it at its full capacity all the time for 2-3 years and it'll eventually die on its own.

When it comes to hardware issues, in many situations, the hardware is at fault before the software. Most hardwares will shut itself in emergency before any damage is done.

I just finished installing the patch on my computer and it even seems to give a better frame rate. Using a Geforce 9800 GT (3 years old card) on max settings.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Well, it's a normal behavior to some point, the game requires more juice, the card works harder and dies faster. This kind of thing could have happened with any new game. Computer parts do have a life time, especially graphic cards. Like I said earlier, the same thing happened to me with WOTLK. They made a lot of graphic improvement on that expansion as well. Even if the graphic card can handle it, use it at its full capacity all the time for 2-3 years and it'll eventually die on its own.

When it comes to hardware issues, in many situations, the hardware is at fault before the software. Most hardwares will shut itself in emergency before any damage is done.

I just finished installing the patch on my computer and it even seems to give a better frame rate. Using a Geforce 9800 GT (3 years old card) on max settings.

Yes, but I never even got to the full patch loading before my computer crashed. Had issues even getting patch DL to start, finally got to optimization screen, computer froze, attempts to reboot have failed. Windows won't even load. Too many others with similar issues for me to think it's just coincidence. I don't even care about the damn game working at this point, I just want my computer working again.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
dude i have the same problem
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
08/29/2012 01:45 PMPosted by Damurus
I have windows Vista.

Found your problem.

We're done here.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]