Failed to read a required file...

I'm having issues on a Mac.
When you move update file 16016 to the desktop, it just reunpacks it from the installer file...
Then it tries to initialize, lasts all of 30 seconds before stating that it failed to read a req'd file.
Deleting WTF folder really didn't change anything either...

And the only reason I'm here specifically is because my game wouldn't update to the new content (would freeze at around 7%) and I figured a fresh install would fix it. Guess not
Reply Quote
86 Goblin Warlock
Almost a month and still not 1 blue post on this error? Absolutely pitiful.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
trying to download now and I keep getting the exact same error at 6%. can't even find the offending files. This is ridiculous.
Reply Quote
IMPORTANT MESSAGE:
-I fixed it!-

Some of you won't like this route, but it works.

Concerning Addons/Macros:
I know some of you might be worried, that your addons won't be set up the same when you reinstall. I assure you, most of your previous macros/addon's, are redundant; because the new class/spell setup causes them to become obsolete.

• 1)Uninstall the whole game, and erase all related files.
  • 2)Install CCleaner onto your PC, and do a registry clean. (Deleting/Cleaning all WoW registry entries leftover in your computer; plus other OLD registry crap slowing down your computers.)
  • 3) Download the newest client, and it will download/install/patch to the latest version.
  • 4) Log on, and feel the relief of finally being able to play again.

• Also, for anyone who hasn't played MoP yet, or the beta; your classes are quite different to play now. Expect a big change, but, it's actually quite a fun change.
    Edited by Xanrael on 10/22/2012 6:51 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    78 Night Elf Rogue
    Not sure if the solution has been posted yet:
    (not even thinking of reading through 16 pages lol)
    I just installed windows 8 from scratch and encountered the same problem when installing.

However the following worked for me:

Goto:
    C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Setup

delete the folder:
    "wow_enus"

Run setup again.
    Edited by Ayanui on 10/27/2012 3:24 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Gnome Death Knight
    Im not pc savvy, and i cant run the wow-64bit client, but when i clicked on the wow-64bit client and then clicked on the wow.exe. It ran a test to see the data requirements and everything worked find after that. good luck.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Paladin
    I still get the same issue with failed to read a required file (agent)...:S I tried what you just posted but it did not work for me...
    Reply Quote
    85 Human Mage
    Fixed this problem on a Mac. Used get info on the World of Warcraft folder, then selected read/write for all users, and clicked on the cog button to apply to all inclosed items.
    Reply Quote
    76 Human Warrior
    11/30/2012 09:57 PMPosted by Sageros
    Fixed this problem on a Mac. Used get info on the World of Warcraft folder, then selected read/write for all users, and clicked on the cog button to apply to all inclosed items.

For Mac users this is how you fix it
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Death Knight
    this is completely retarded blizz come on!!
    Reply Quote
    90 Worgen Death Knight
    WOOOOOOOOOOT found the problem for XP users Go to wow data folder and delete ALL of the file 16016 mpq dont remember the name but it also goes through more cache folder in the data folder delete those 1 at a time cause u cant delete all at once after that it should be good solved my problem :) also after you delete it u might have to download 1 gig but still 1 gig > 20 gigs ;)
    Reply Quote
    85 Goblin Priest
    12/09/2012 11:10 AMPosted by Eexecutioner
    WOOOOOOOOOOT found the problem for XP users Go to wow data folder and delete ALL of the file 16016 mpq dont remember the name but it also goes through more cache folder in the data folder delete those 1 at a time cause u cant delete all at once after that it should be good solved my problem :) also after you delete it u might have to download 1 gig but still 1 gig > 20 gigs ;)

This worked, ended up having to download all 20gb tho.
    Reply Quote
    fixed mine doing this: (im on windows 7)

Go to C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.1267\Logs
    (Check first if Agent.1267 is the latest number on C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\folder)

Search for a file called something along this lines:
    AgentErrors-20120831-185711193.txt
    (repair-on-demand.txt may also reveal the damaged file)

Open it a see if it says the name of the file thats causing the error, in my case it said this:
    #-----------------------------------------------------------
    # System started at 2012-08-31 17:57:11.1930
    # system: RandomNoobs-PC
    #-----------------------------------------------------------
    17:57:25.0314 Patch Application Initialization - Failed to open archive 'W:/World of Warcraft/Data/wow-update-base-16016.MPQ'
    17:57:25.0316 Updating Error: 2111

Notice the file name where it failed to open, what i did next is pretty simple, i went to that folder and renamed the file extension (you can cut it off if you want but a rename will do)

Try to re-run the launcher now.

**** all credits go to Knigthmare (Undead Priest of <AwoL> Stormscale (EU)) for the fix ****
    Edited by Auctìonhouse on 2/14/2013 9:40 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Warlock
    same issue and i have contacted blizz many times and they have been great trying to help but i still have the same issue its been 3 weeks and i have tried to re-install it over 9 times !!!!!!!!
    Reply Quote
    90 Troll Hunter
    5.2 release and i'm having the same problem everyone had on 5.0. Disgusted
    Reply Quote
    83 Blood Elf Warlock
    I right clicked the launcher .exe file and ran as Administrator. This worked for me.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]