Failed to read a required file...

85 Undead Mage
08/28/2012 01:40 PMPosted by Dotsgonewild
Hey guys, I was having the same problem myself. I just took the Data, Errors, Logs, Updates, and Temp folders out of my wow folder and threw em on my desktop. It is now downloading as intended. I remembered, I had to do it for another recent patch. Give it a shot let me know if it worked for you as well.

didnt work for me :(
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Taking the Data, Errors, Logs, Updates, and Temp folders seemed to make it so i can open the launcher without the "failed to read a required file" box poping up. But now its stuck... Bottom left hand corner just says "Initializing"
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
08/28/2012 02:08 PMPosted by Crenix
Taking the Data, Errors, Logs, Updates, and Temp folders seemed to make it so i can open the launcher without the "failed to read a required file" box poping up. But now its stuck... Bottom left hand corner just says "Initializing"

mine still says failed to read a required file
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
WTB a blue on this. but at least beta let me in by bypassing the launcher
Reply Quote
08/28/2012 02:09 PMPosted by Flintloc

mine still says failed to read a required file

Same thing happening for me! :/
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
BlizzardCS on twitter just posted yet another delay till 3:00pm on maintenance. it says that all servers and server options will be offline,
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
okay i found out that this issue is caused by a corrupt game file in the data folder. it could be any one of the mpq files in your folders. try taking a few out at a time then starting the launcher. when you remove the corrupt file the launcher should resume working normally.
for me it was a corrupt "expansion-speech" file in the enus folder. wish u all luck
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
okay i found out that this issue is caused by a corrupt game file in the data folder. it could be any one of the mpq files in your folders. try taking a few out at a time then starting the launcher. when you remove the corrupt file the launcher should resume working normally.
for me it was a corrupt "expansion-speech" file in the enus folder. wish u all luck

removed whole data folder and nothing
Reply Quote

removed whole data folder and nothing

same, wtb blue
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Tried in safe mode, nothing. Disabled all programs through msconfig, nothing. Disabled my antivirus permanently, nothing. Uninstalled programs that I thought might disrupt or interfere, nothing. Attempted to reinstall WoW, same error message.

Didn't have this problem until I recently tried to download this patch. Ridiculous.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warrior
All I did was delete the Temp folder (read: backup into new folder elsewhere) and it seems to be working.
Reply Quote
87 Orc Warlock

I did this as well.. took out the epansion-speech 1-4 files out of the folder as you said, and started up the launcher.. now it's downloading the missing 800meg's. here's hoping it works out.
800megs is better then 20gigs on a 100kps download speed connection =)
Reply Quote
87 Tauren Druid
anyone working on a fix?
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I'm just gonna reinstall blizzard obviously doesn't give a !@#$. and alot of people are having success when they reinstall.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter

I did this as well.. took out the epansion-speech 1-4 files out of the folder as you said, and started up the launcher.. now it's downloading the missing 800meg's. here's hoping it works out.

ive only got expansion-speech 1-3 o.O also will try and the sugesstion above
Reply Quote
87 Orc Warlock

Doh, spoke too soon.. after 2 min of waiting i recieved the "failed to read a required file" again... now to try the temp folder as stated..
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
just deleted the temp/wtf/cache folders , see if it works
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
nope didnt work
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
did both nothing at all also i dot relly have the option to reinstall unless i want to wait till november for it to compleetly finsh
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Found this in a different thread. Worth a shot.

Current FIXES

Kill all agent.exe processes in your task manager

Delete your C:\ProgramData\Battle.net folder (Vista/7) ---XP users this is in your C:\Documents and Settings\AccountName\ApplicationData

This is a Hidden Folder, so you will have to turn on "Show Hidden Files and Folders" in Windows (Folder Options in control panel - Vista/7. View/Folder Options - XP)

I just deleted mine and it forced a redownload of Agent.exe (the main launcher process)

This bug happened for both Diablo 3 and the MoP beta

After you delete this folder, Right click your launcher and RUN AS ADMIN

Uninstall the Beta!

In your WoW directory, Goto the Compatibility Tab on all the exes and Enable Run this program as admin
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]