HELP! Patch 5.0.4 ruined my game client!!

(Locked)

90 Gnome Mage
I have a question that hopefully Blizzard can answer; will I still encounter this problem if I set up a boot camp and load everything up in Windows? or will it still be all messed up on the ground due to my graphics card?
90 Night Elf Druid
08/29/2012 07:11 AMPosted by Coggling
I have a question that hopefully Blizzard can answer; will I still encounter this problem if I set up a boot camp and load everything up in Windows? or will it still be all messed up on the ground due to my graphics card?

Thats a good question and your theory is good also, unfortunately the windows side uses nearly the same driver as the mac side for the video card (if not even more generic). So it would essentially have the same effect running on either OS with that chip. A very good attempt though :)
85 Tauren Shaman
After playing from the very start of WoW up until yesterday, I am now unable to play. No D3 or SC2 either. Guess my gaming days are over since I can't afford to buy a new machine just to play on. Very sad day that so many long-time customers get booted from what they would still continue to purchase.

/cancelWoWsubscription
90 Night Elf Druid
I just got a brand new macbook for college and it works fine now, but if blizzard is going to make it completely useless in the next year while PC users are supported on computers 7+ years old, that's just ridiculous. I can't afford to drop $1,500 every 2 years on a new computer just to play wow, and i'm not going to go buy a non-mac just to play wow on either because that's just stupid
90 Worgen Warlock
Just wanted to add that I will be canceling my subscription now since the game I was enjoying two days ago is now completely broken on my computer. Thanks Blizz.
81 Night Elf Druid
The sad part is, this is identical to modern politics.

Why would they care: they're getting paid!

Start date: 8/20/2005
End date: 8/28/2012

Why? Well apparently millions of customers leaving do not matter in the grand scheme of corporate agenda.

The least Blizz could do is offer a downgrade back to Cata, and allow us to play Cata happy without MoP XPack.

/Happily_Canceling_WOW_Account

Goodbye greedy crooks.
90 Human Rogue
08/29/2012 07:51 AMPosted by Materia
Thats a good question and your theory is good also, unfortunately the windows side uses nearly the same driver as the mac side for the video card (if not even more generic). So it would essentially have the same effect running on either OS with that chip. A very good attempt though :)

Do you know this for a fact? Or is this conjecture?

The part that makes me doubt this (nothing personal) is the statement, "the windows side uses nearly the same driver as the mac side..." It's possible, but there's such a richer API (DirectX) on Windows that I'd be surprised to find that the drivers are nearly identical.

Not saying this isn't true. Just asking to make sure it is absolutely true. Because if it isn't, I recommend anybody having this problem and willing to solve it to try this.

I stopped running WoW in OS X with 5.0.x dropping, opting instead to Bootcamp Windows and run it there, and I'm happy with the results so far.
90 Night Elf Druid

Do you know this for a fact? Or is this conjecture?

The part that makes me doubt this (nothing personal) is the statement, "the windows side uses nearly the same driver as the mac side..." It's possible, but there's such a richer API (DirectX) on Windows that I'd be surprised to find that the drivers are nearly identical.

Not saying this isn't true. Just asking to make sure it is absolutely true. Because if it isn't, I recommend anybody having this problem and willing to solve it to try this.

Very nice argument :)

But still... have to remember that drivers are controlling hardware, directx isnt directly controlling hardware without the communication from the driver in between.

It would be only one of these two things if its not working on your chip/card:

1. The driver - if left alone and not updated to new game standards (which blizz seems to set now) it would be the driver to blame because it isn't being called upon by the client.... which I guess would really be the client's fault.
2. The program/client - the new patch doesn't have the code written to work with the driver you use to control your hardware (either because blizz thought it wouldn't run well or they just cut development because of laziness).

So I guess it all comes down to blizz... as usual.

think of it this way.... if i'm sending you a message and their is no mail service... you could of course still get the message but are unable to because of the service being down... blizz is the boss of the mail man (your video driver)... causing him to go on strike for not being fair and giving him what he needs to do his job :P

I just ran the patch on my bootcamp, windows 7 ultimate, nothing running other than wow... still looks just as bad, and it makes my temp go way up. hmm... :(
100 Undead Priest
Isn't it awesome when a customer helps fund their own obsolescence? It's not like customers have a choice to upgrade or not...
85 Worgen Hunter
Blizzard this is the worst thing you have done to your clientele. Talk about loyalty to your game players! I've been on this game 6 years with no problems what so ever on this computer. Now since the new patch hits I'm getting all enviornment details looking like triangles glitching into black nothing-ness.. Seriously you couldn't have warned us better or even made an option for us? Now I need to go out and buy a WHOLE NEW COMPUTER!? No, I think I'd rather stop playing for good. Thanks. If you so happen to find a solution to this epidemic of a problem feel free to contact me. Until then.. Goodbye to all my characters.
85 Blood Elf Mage
im having a problem using my launcher it says internal error. but i can launch through the wow folder. how do i fix this problem? im using a mac
85 Worgen Hunter
Read this thread.. u will find out whats going on.. Blizz is kicking us all out
85 Blood Elf Mage
is the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M supported?
85 Blood Elf Mage
ok sweet. but im still having launcher issues saying something about internal error? do you know how i could fix?
90 Tauren Druid
I have a 9 months old macbook pro and this is bs ive been playing since 2005 and i cant play anymore cuz my wow seems to "lag" or just massive lag spike ever 5 seconds when i move, even on lowest graphics.
i even tried to set the FPS low and now its massiv laggspikes every 7 seconds.....this is just frikin great, i was really waiting on MOP but u need to fix this fast because i cant rly play because of the lagg spikes.
my internet isnt the problem nither my computer, its the new patch ive never had this problem, i really need you guys to fix this....
90 Worgen Hunter
I own a Dell Compaq that is only 2 years old desktop with 2 Gigs of Ram on Windows XP 32 bit edition with a PNY GeForce GS8400 512MB Graphics card with all updated drivers and I have to literally drop my viewing distance to the lowest possible with the crappy !@# fog you cant see farther than 50 meters which means I cant do pvp at all, and If i have all settings on Low except viewing distance on fair I only get 10 FPS cause of Blizzard saying FU to all players who dont have a powerful system. I have a medium range computer based on MOP System Requirements page and meet it exceedingly and still get a huge Frame rate loss that makes the game unplayable. A day before the patch came out I was getting almost 45-60 depending on the area I was in to playing the patch to the crappy 10 FPS. Blizzard needs to let players stay with the graphics on what Cataclysm was on not to alienate millions of players who dont have the best systems because I play casually. I cancelled my subscription to wow for this huge $%^- up that Blizzard did to players and I swear that I wont come back to the game until they dont force people in a very short time to upgrade there systems!!! Whatever graphic crap they added with MOP is slowing alots of peoples graphics and they say it cause they are trying to be competitive with other games...Blizzard, how many other *!@#ing games that are MMOS do you know that has 9+ million players on that pay your fees? are you guys that stupid or are you trying to work with some sort of payoff for upgrading to make money off computer manufacturers to buy new computers or something? Fix this or dont be surprised you end up a very short time another Star Wars that crashed and burnt since EA didnt listen to the masses but only to what some idiot thinks will make you money!!! Bring us the option to get back to CATA graphics or get ready to lose millions of players like you did in the last year!!!!
Edited by Madruck on 8/29/2012 6:17 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]