Achievement Pane Filter List

90 Orc Shaman
Hello,

Obviously by the number below my name, I love collecting achievements. You can imagine how elated I was when you announced account-wide achievements.

Now that the patch has gone live, my really big problem with it all is that achievements you earned on other characters still show up when you filter "Incomplete". For me, this really ruins the whole cross-character play-whatever-you-like type of mentality. When your mindset is 'clear the list of achievements' (while having it filtered on Incomplete), this is not possible unless you continue to do it on a singular character (and the specific achievement is not account-wide). I still feel restricted to earning achievements on my Shaman; and furthermore I feel restricted to continuing to play the same toon - because the achievements are being shown that they aren't earned by that character.

So yes, the number shows that you have said achievement. The frame is a different color. But the filter is still telling me that I don't have it.

I understand that Blizzard wants to preserve the ability to track achievements per character. That's amazing. I'm all for having that option, and I'm sure there are several people (myself included) that appreciate that option. But I'd also like the option to turn that off - at least at the personal level. Give others the ability to see you didn't get it on that toon (such as raid achievements, PvP, whatever). I'm fine with all that.

Solution:

You could make a "Character" filter option. This will only show the achievements that the specific character has completed and has yet to complete. Basically, it's the old version. It seems as if all the data and framework is still there (because it shows Achievement earned by XXXXXXX and NOT [primary character name]) to make that happen. And revert the "Incomplete" filter option to only show achievements you don't have account-wide.

There are other obvious solutions and implementations of that idea, but this I feel was both the easiest to implement and the most efficient. You could give an option in Interface to "Show Achievements as Account-wide" or on the Achievement Pane somewhere (similar to how there's a box on your map to show Archaeology dig sites). Something along those lines. You could fix it to where filtering "Incomplete" doesn't show completed achievements on other toons, but that removes the option to show which you'd need for that character without a lot of work hovering over achievements - and would likely make others unhappy.

For me, that solution will truly make achievements account-wide and not per-character. I also feel it works for everyone. There's nothing being "removed", and I doubt it would make anyone upset. The default filter system should be willing to count the achievement as "earned" without any drawbacks (even if it was earned on another toon, etc) if achievements are truly going to be account-wide. Right now, I don't think you've achieved that goal. Just my opinion.

Thank you,
Blindside

TL;DR: The default filters for the Achievement UI should show Account-wide, with an option to show character only. Right now it feels very awkward, you're trying to show both with the same amount of filters. I don't believe it captures the essence of what you're trying to do with account-wide achievements.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Yep, totally agree. The achievement interface is now very confusing on a number of levels and is different from what they showed us previously.

I like the account-wide achievements but the manner in which they are displayed is really bad - earlier beta builds indicated a battlenet icon would appear for those account-wide achievements versus those achieved on an individual basis (which would appear as normal).

However, that is not happening. Instead the achievement is shown as done without displaying that it has been accomplished as an account-wide achievement. You have no way of seeing if an individual character has done the achievement unless you click on it and the progress bar will be empty. It would be nice to be able to display individual achievements as well as the account-wide ones and filter them in some way. There is an option to do this for other players when they inspect you so they only see the individual character achievements so why not for the player itself?

The strangest part is some things I accomplished on another character on a separate account show a blue bar to indicate account-wide status (such as acquiring Deathcharger's Reins) and yet my "Sergeant" title (again acquired on another account) does not have the blue bar. Go figure.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Hunter
I agree. I would like to see additional filter options. Something like the following would suit me just fine.
"All", "Earned", "Incomplete (By this character)" and "Incomplete (Account wide)".
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you click on incomplete, it is showing you every achievement you do not individually have on that toon. So yes, it may still be lit up as having been achieved, but it is still being filtered correctly.

For example, this toon has all the "explore XXX" achievements. If I click on Incomplete on this toon, my window is completely blank and shows no achieves listed at all. If I click on Incomplete on an alt, my window is lit up with every achieve, but they're still shown because the alt hasn't gotten them yet.

Also, I can mouse over the shield/number icon and it tells me what toon originally earned the achievement and if I have it on my current toon or not.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I agree. I would like to see additional filter options. Something like the following would suit me just fine.
"All", "Earned", "Incomplete (By this character)" and "Incomplete (Account wide)".

It already does this....
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
If you click on incomplete, it is showing you every achievement you do not individually have on that toon. So yes, it may still be lit up as having been achieved, but it is still being filtered correctly.

For example, this toon has all the "explore XXX" achievements. If I click on Incomplete on this toon, my window is completely blank and shows no achieves listed at all. If I click on Incomplete on an alt, my window is lit up with every achieve, but they're still shown because the alt hasn't gotten them yet.

Also, I can mouse over the shield/number icon and it tells me what toon originally earned the achievement and if I have it on my current toon or not.

09/06/2012 09:25 PMPosted by Amaranthas
It already does this....

No it does not. If you actually the read the thread you'd see that they're already aware that the incomplete filter shows all achievements not completed by the character but are completed account wide. They understand how this works but want an additional filter to hide those which seems like a great idea.

Please read and understand what is being said before commenting.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
No it does not. If you actually the read the thread you'd see that they're already aware that the incomplete filter shows all achievements not completed by the character but are completed account wide. They understand how this works but want an additional filter to hide those which seems like a great idea.

Please read and understand what is being said before commenting.

Please understand the functionality of the video game you are playing before spouting sanctimonious platitudes at someone.

You can show All... which lists... all of them. The ones lit up, you have account-wide, the ones not lit up, you do NOT have account-wide.

You can show Incomplete, which lists all the ones incomplete on the current toon. The ones lit up, you have account-wide, the ones not lit up, you do NOT have account-wide.

If your goal is to get achievements that NONE of your toons have... on any filtered list, go get the ones not lit up. It hasn't changed at all from before 5.0.4.

You have all the functionality of seeing a current toon's progress and your account's progress in one window without having to go through a barrage of drop-down menus and weeks/months of bugged code.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin

It already does this....

No it doesn't.

You clearly do not understand what is being noted, and requested: the ability to track progress on a single character. Everyone (noted here) understands how it is working, but it is inadequate in it's functionality.

What is wanted is the ability to see the achievements for an individual character without it being 'polluted' by the achievements of other characters.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Edited by Amaranthas on 9/7/2012 7:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter

You clearly do not understand what is being noted, and requested: the ability to track progress on a single character. Everyone (noted here) understands how it is working, but it is inadequate in it's functionality.

What is wanted is the ability to see the achievements for an individual character without it being 'polluted' by the achievements of other characters.

No actually, YOU do not understand how it works, it's perfectly simple. If you go to 'incomplete' it shows ONLY the achievements that you can complete on that character. That is what you're asking for, that is what it gives.
If you have that filter open and it shows an achievement as incomplete, you haven't done it on any character.
If you have that filter open and it shows as complete, you have done it on a different character but NOT the one you are currently on.

The functionality of the filters works perfectly. Your understanding of how to use it however is flawed.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
So... If I have that filter open and it shows complete, I have done it on another character but not the character I'm asking for... How do I know which character I've completed it with and How do I know how to differentiate from one character to another?

I've got loads and loads of 60's, 40's and 50's but only 1 85 character which I was bound and determined to get ALL acheivements with, and now... I can't tell which character did what?

Does the frame change color? Does it list the character it was completed with? It lists the date but I don't keep track of which character I played 2 years ago on that specific day and time...

A little insight would be appreciated!!
Reply Quote
100 Undead Hunter
There seems to be some argument. Yes the information we want is there and I personally don't have a problem with the way things are now. I'm simply suggesting an extension. I (we) do understand that the new system can already show us the difference between achievements completed by a particular toon and those completed by alts. Take this screen shot for example.

http://imgur.com/GrfT3

I can easily see that "Needy" has been completed by my account but not by Vivax. I'd just like to see another level of filtration so that, if I choose "Incomplete (account wide)" all that I''ll see are greyed out achievements that none of my characters have completed.

Renastia the picture might help you too. If you have "incomplete" selected then hover over an achievement, that one of your other characters has completed, you get a little pop up.
Edited by Vivax on 9/8/2012 12:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Vivax! Thank You!! I don't play often, and when I don't keep up on changes, it can be confusing!! I appreciate the screenshot!! :)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin

No actually, YOU do not understand how it works, it's perfectly simple. If you go to 'incomplete' it shows ONLY the achievements that you can complete on that character. That is what you're asking for, that is what it gives.
If you have that filter open and it shows an achievement as incomplete, you haven't done it on any character.
If you have that filter open and it shows as complete, you have done it on a different character but NOT the one you are currently on.

The functionality of the filters works perfectly. Your understanding of how to use it however is flawed.

No, I understand how it actually works, as, I believe most people here do.

But how it works - the changes - do not allow you to track the incomplete quests on an individual character if it has been already completed by another character. For example, '30 tabards': it shows yellow, obviously completed by another character, but it cannot be tracked.

The request for a filter 'by character' seems quite reasonable - as that is what we had previously - as well as an 'account wide incomplete', which would make sense, since the whole point of the change is to make account wide achievements. Likewise, I'd like to have the achievement points per character back, to compare progress by one character to another (this will hopefully at least get my spouse back playing again).

Again, I understand how it works, but am saying that it is an incomplete changeover from what we had previously, to what we have now.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/09/2012 02:53 AMPosted by Mattybrunco
But how it works - the changes - do not allow you to track the incomplete quests on an individual character if it has been already completed by another character. For example, '30 tabards': it shows yellow, obviously completed by another character, but it cannot be tracked.

That is more than likely a bug. Some achievements you can still track (the exploration ones comes to mind) even if they've been completed by another character. Some are still buggy (like the quests completed ones last time I checked -- one zone it worked, another it didn't).

Likewise, I'd like to have the achievement points per character back, to compare progress by one character to another (this will hopefully at least get my spouse back playing again).

Your spouse should be on a separate account per the ToS and this shouldn't be an issue, just fyi.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Hunter
Has any one heard anything official for or against this idea? It is tiresome, while on an alt, having to scroll through page after page of achievements completed by my main in order to find achievements my account hasn't done yet.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
i agree that it 'works,' and i understand how to see what a certain character hasn't achieved, etc. but i also feel an extra filter or two, or perhaps another achievements book just for a character would be really nice. i too would like making viewing and tracking individual achievements easier.

-- i do understand though this can be done right now, but i just feel it could be done in a different or alternative way.
Edited by Develynn on 11/27/2012 11:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
91 Human Death Knight
i still want to see my completed achievement that are completed by just my alt whitout seeing all my charqacters, henceforth the by character filter which would end up the same as before.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
By all the comments, I see the system is confusing to others than just myself. I only want to know my current toon's achievements. The account-wide is nice for some, I suppose; I was sad to see that change. As a casual player, which places me at the bottom of the pond, the influence of my opinion is weak. Nevertheless, here it is: I would like to be able to toggle the account-wide tracking of achievements on and off. Then I would toggle it Off.
Edited by Helicatt on 1/21/2013 12:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Likewise, I'd like to have the achievement points per character back, to compare progress by one character to another (this will hopefully at least get my spouse back playing again).

Your spouse should be on a separate account per the ToS and this shouldn't be an issue, just fyi.[/quote]

If they log into different licenses under the same battle.net account they still get achievement bleed, just like mounts and pets. So where exactly is the ToS violation?

Also, I'd love a feature that would simply hide the achievements earned on a different toon that show 'incomplete' yet are highlighted as 'earned by xxx' on said 'incomplete' list.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]