Save Your Chat Logs

Community Manager
With the upcoming release of patch 5.0.4, all items within the Logs Directory for World of Warcraft will be deleted. It is advised that if you have WoW Combat Logs or WoW Chat Logs that you would like to save, that you do so prior to the release of the patch.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
nethaera, I beg your pardon but I have no idea about what exactly you mean... what items in logs are you talking about??

(I'm kind of ignorant when it comes to computers and the behind the scenes of games lol)
Edited by Mdarkskull on 8/24/2012 12:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
These are logs a lot of people use either for RP purposes or combat parsing through their addons. (Generally speaking.) If it's not something you use or save specifically for your use, this won't impact you. :)
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
So generally speaking .. if you don't know what the combat log/chat log is ... you don't need to do anything.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
well, that's good... not doing anything is usually my favored course of action :3

anyway, thanks nethaera and dransha for the help X3
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Why are you deleting the files in that folder? Is there a change to the contents or the format of these files? I did not notice any change on beta.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
just rename your current log folder as Logs_old and it will not impact you if you do not want to move the location of the folder or move its contents
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I had an entire page that took me nearly a half hour to write documenting how to do this on Windows XP, Vista & 7, Mac & Linux. I hit "preview" and it disappeared. Let me try that again. I'm not really sure why that happened.

Let's all make sure we copy everything to a regular text editor with an auto save before previewing.
Edited by Kcvfhtog on 8/24/2012 1:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Hearthstone
90 Tauren Paladin
I had an entire page that took me nearly a half hour to write documenting how to do this on Windows XP, Vista & 7, Mac & Linux. I hit "preview" and it disappeared. Let me try that again. I'm not really sure why that happened.

Let's all make sure we copy everything to a regular text editor with an auto save before previewing.

A whole page? What? Why?

Windows 7/Vista

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft
Rename the folder "Logs" to whatever you want, except "Logs"

Windows XP/Linux

Go to C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft

Mac

*name of computer*/Applications/World of Warcraft
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Will zip files with archive folders of logs be safe (like from world of Logs) or all files in the logs folder in danger?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
For those who don't know exactly where this directory is, http://www.wowpedia.org/World_of_Warcraft_File_Locations explains:

World of Warcraft Installation Locations

MS Windows XP and earlier

All versions of MS Windows up to and including XP installed by default in a subfolder (called "World of Warcraft") of the "Program Files" folder. For 32bit versions of MS Windows this can be found by going to Start - Run and typing "%ProgramFiles%" (this is an Environment variable). For 64bit versions of MS Windows this can be found by going to Start - Run and typing "%ProgramFiles(x86)%". If you are unsure if you have a 64bit or 32bit version of windows try the "%ProgramFiles(x86)%" folder and if it errors you must have a 32bit version of windows.

MS Window Vista and later

The location of World of Warcraft's installation folder after MS Windows Vista and later (including Windows 7) can vary. You can check check the same locations for Windows XP (mentioned above) but it should be location in the folder "Public" (use the Environment variable "%PUBLIC%" to find this) then the subfolder "Games" then again the subfolder "World of Warcraft"

Alternative Methods

Another way to locate your World of Warcraft installation folder is to right click on the World of Warcraft icon you use to start World of Warcraft and goto "Properties" then in the new window that opens click "Open File Location" or "Find Target..". This will open an new Explorer window with the World of Warcraft installation folder open.

However, there are several other ways of doing this.

Windows XP
Open up a file manager, Explorer, from the program menu or click on any folder and navigate to "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Logs" and rename it or right click and copy & paste it anywhere but remember if you're pasting it in another directory that it's the backup copy.

Windows Vista and later
Same thing but go to the Public folder and then the Games folder within that. You should see this on the left hand side of your file manager.

Mac OS X
Finder /Applications/World of Warcraft/

Linux & BSD
By default it will be in your .wine folder. Open up Nautilus, Dolphin, or Thunar.
/home/(users)/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft/

The ". means it's a hidden directory so you won't see if when you open up the folder. With most file managers you can hit ctrl+H and it'll show them or unshow them. Or go into the window menu and under "view" is the option to "show hidden files".

Command Line:
Essentially you'll be doing:
"copy-command name-of-source-directory name-of-destination-directory"

Windows:
xcopy "C:\Program Files/World of Warcraft/Logs" C:\Program Files/World of Warcraft/Logs backup"

Go to the application menu and either choose "run" and type "cmd" or go into Programs -> accessories or system, I forget which.

*nix (Mac, Linux, BSD)
cp "/home/(users)/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft/Logs" "/home/(users)/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft/Logs backup"

Either hit "alt+F2" and type "xterm" or any of your other terminals such as "gnome-terminal". Or go into the program menu and find one under accessories.

The "mv" command will work too. cp is copy, mv is move.
Make sure you use the quotes because there's a space in the directory names and without quotes it'll skip all but the first word resulting in errors.
I think if you don't specify a directory it will copy to the current directory you're in which is probably your /home folder. That's fine too, just remember to move it back later.

Remember, if you do any of this now to do it again just before you install the patch on Tuesday.

Another note: on Vista and later C:\ may be D:\ if the prior was used for recovery data or the system boot files.
If you're wondering why it's not A:\ or B:\ it's because those used to be for tape (floppy) drives.
Edited by Kcvfhtog on 8/24/2012 2:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
08/24/2012 01:36 PMPosted by Angelflavor
Will zip files with archive folders of logs be safe (like from world of Logs) or all files in the logs folder in danger?

Doesn't sound like it, safer to just copy what you want to keep somewhere else.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
That's a lot of text.

Anyone who needs help figuring out how to rename a folder probably doesn't have any logs worth saving, if they have any logs at all.

Not necessarily. Many people who'd like to keep a record of everything may not know a whole lot about computers. It's unfair to assume everyone knows all the details on how to do things with computers just because they often play games on them. We're far past the days of having to program your own!

Even when using an addon to keep a history of everything, such as Prat, it doesn't back up everything automatically. if you know of one that does this please let me know.

08/24/2012 01:36 PMPosted by Angelflavor

From what it sounds like the entire /Logs directory is being over written so everything inside will be deleted. If you have these files somewhere else then you might be safe. Either way you're safer by manually backing up your data.
Edited by Kcvfhtog on 8/24/2012 5:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
08/24/2012 12:44 PMPosted by Mnemonic
It happens every expansion. They just decided to actually tell us this time. I lost many logs converting from BC to LK.

Is that where i lost 90% of my RP logs? This explains that. Still mad.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I think for all those who think the few bad examples of humanity in the game are representative of the player base, the people in this thread taking the time and trouble to help others should be refreshing.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
08/24/2012 11:57 AMPosted by Nethaera
WoW Chat Logs

Where can I see these? I'm looking at the logs folder right now... All I see is
Connection, Cpu, Downloader, FrameXML, GlueXML, gx, Launcher, Sound, WoWCombatLog, Blizzard Updater Log, World of Warcraft Install Log. Hm...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
http://www.worldoflogs.com
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
WoW Chat Logs

Where can I see these? I'm looking at the logs folder right now... All I see is
Connection, Cpu, Downloader, FrameXML, GlueXML, gx, Launcher, Sound, WoWCombatLog, Blizzard Updater Log, World of Warcraft Install Log. Hm...

It should only show up if you use the /chatlog command in game or an addon that automatically logs it for you.
Edited by Alonsius on 8/24/2012 6:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]