Account-wide Pets with Patch 5.0.4

I'm guessing, but what I think they're trying to say is that if currently, across all the characters on your account, you have two or more Murkys, then after this, all your characters will be sharing one Murky (for the purpose of the pet combat training system), and similarly for other named 'unique' pets. If you now have a total of one, two, or three Orange Tabby cats, then after this, your characters will be sharing a total of one, two, or three Orange Tabby Cats (which can then be given different names and training), but if, across all your characters, you had four or more Orange Tabby Cats, then you'll end up with only three Orange Tabby Cats. Similarly for other generic 'standard' pets.

It sounds like, if, after this, you still have more than 1500 pets, some will disappear when 5.0.4 hits, and if you have more than 500, at some point after 5.0.4 you'll get trimmed down to 500 (presumably you'll get to choose somehow -- I'd guess that's what the 'cage' or 'release' stuff is for). Of course, to get past 500, you'd need to have say 3 of each of about 150 generic 'standard' pets plus about 50 named 'unique' pets, which sounds hard even if you had several characters that were dedicated pet collectors.
Edited by Shaktâ on 8/24/2012 8:20 PM PDT
71 Undead Death Knight
08/24/2012 08:09 PMPosted by Nyssa
Just curious, since you brought it up... how could they take a pet off their their pet tab, cage it, and sell it? That sounds really odd to me.

It's part of the Pet Battles comming in MoP. Check out the Pet Battles forums under the MoP Beta forums.

I've played the pet battles in beta... obviously I wasn't paying close enough attention or playing seriously enough... so what you're saying is I'm battling someone else on my merged acct and I can cage or 'tame' their pet and then turn around and sell it? Forgive me but that sounds like a really stupid thing to do, especially since all pets save for a precious few are going acct wide. That to me would be like Blizz allowing duping in-game on their merchandise.

I will check out the forums just to get a jist of this duping ability (if I'm understanding you correctly). Thanks for answering my question.
Edited by Theoldman on 8/24/2012 8:21 PM PDT
08/24/2012 08:09 PMPosted by Nyssa
Just curious, since you brought it up... how could they take a pet off their their pet tab, cage it, and sell it? That sounds really odd to me.

It's part of the Pet Battles comming in MoP. Check out the Pet Battles forums under the MoP Beta forums.

Part of the problem is, people need to view the pet journal more as a pet 'bank', rather than a pet tab, because there is more interaction with the pet journal allowed.

If you have every pet on one character, all of those pets will be put in your pet 'bank' and you can summon them across your account.

If you have every pet on two characters, all of those pets will be put into your pet 'bank'. You will see multiples of the ones that aren't unique. You can take them out of the 'bank' by caging them.

If you have 5 characters with the same pet (eg. Crimson Whelpling), the pet 'bank' will only contain 3 of that pet and the rest will die a grisly death in some dark recess of blizzard's database void.
90 Human Paladin
It's probably safe to say, that his specific use of 'orange tabby cat', instead of 'cat carrier', means each color is considered separate from each other, meaning only Cat Carrier (Orange Tabby) will be merged with other Cat Carrier (Orange Tabby), rather than merging every Cat Carrier.

Exactly.

I have played a good amount of pet battles and have examined the system fairly thoroughly. A Orange Tabby cat is not the same type as a Calico cat. You can have 3 of each.

As for the 500 pet limit, if you have more than one of a type of pet, you can release one of them to free up a slot. So if you are worried about multiples of pets taking up all your 500 slots, don't worry. If you need to, you can always pare down to 500 completely different pets (though I don't think there are that many in game at this time).
71 Undead Death Knight
If you have every pet on two characters, all of those pets will be put into your pet 'bank'. You will see multiples of the ones that aren't unique. You can take them out of the 'bank' by caging them.

That to me sounds really dumb. Why have duplicates at all? It would make more sense to just make everything one of each on the tab, journal, or whatever someone wishes to call it. It would certainly deal with the over 500-1500 pets issue quite handily.

But multiples... think I'll buy stock in the ibuprophen and tylenol companies. I foresee major headaches for Blizz ahead.
90 Night Elf Rogue
I've played the pet battles in beta... obviously I wasn't paying close enough attention or playing seriously enough... so what you're saying is I'm battling someone else on my merged acct and I can cage or 'tame' their pet and then turn around and sell it? Forgive me but that sounds like a really stupid thing to do, especially since all pets save for a precious few are going acct wide. That to me would be like Blizz allowing duping in-game on their merchandise

I don't think you can capture another palyer's pets at all. Only the critters you come across in the wild can be captured. If you fight something in the wild and capture it, you can then cage it and put it in the AH.
90 Troll Hunter
The migration will not convert more than a total of 1500 pets for a player.

I have 186 pets right now on Demonae, and ten characters just on Cenarius, all 85th level. That is 1860 pets right there, right? And that is not counting any duplicates I have on the other 9 characters, which is a minimum of 15 each (my starter pets), so that is at least another 135 pets. So I would easily have over 2000 pets.

I am confused....

To borrow from Ruinsz' post below, it will only count 321 pets (186 + 15 * 9).

Think of it like a single bucket that all your pets go into, and that bucket is shared amongst all your characters.
Edited by Krewe on 8/24/2012 8:38 PM PDT
08/24/2012 08:28 PMPosted by Demonae
The migration will not convert more than a total of 1500 pets for a player.

I have 186 pets right now, and ten characters just on Cenarius, all 85th level. That is 1860 pets right there, right? And that is not counting any duplicates I have on the other 9 characters, which is a minimum of 15 each (my starter pets), so that is at least another 135 pets. So I would easily have over 2000 pets.

I am confused....

The system will basically check each of your characters and add the pets to a large list of pets on your account. If you have 186 pets on your main, but only 15 pets on each of the other 9 alts, you will only have 321 pets (186 + 15 * 9).

Of course, if you have 186 pets on each of your characters, then yes, you will have 1860 pets, but I assume that isn't the case.
08/24/2012 08:27 PMPosted by Theoldman

That to me sounds really dumb. Why have duplicates at all? It would make more sense to just make everything one of each on the tab, journal, or whatever someone wishes to call it. It would certainly deal with the over 500-1500 pets issue quite handily.

But multiples... think I'll buy stock in the ibuprophen and tylenol companies. I foresee major headaches for Blizz ahead.

I think the idea is, to not completely eliminate some player's hard work, in gathering up pets on multiple characters.
90 Night Elf Hunter
08/24/2012 06:16 PMPosted by Kaivax
Examples of standard pets: Orange Tabby Cat, Brown Prairie Dog, Crimson Whelpling.

How dare you call Eyonix standard! He is SPECIAL! >:(

/sob
90 Human Paladin
I am going to assume that the mounts will require the appropriate faction rep to use if they require it to purchase. I am hoping I am wrong in this assumption since I have ALOT of mounts that I would love to have access to on all my toons.

A little clarification on the whole "account wide mounts" would be an enormous help.
90 Human Paladin
08/24/2012 08:29 PMPosted by Nyssa
I don't think you can capture another palyer's pets at all. Only the critters you come across in the wild can be captured. If you fight something in the wild and capture it, you can then cage it and put it in the AH.

Wild caught pets have been specifically excluded from caging to prevent people from capturing level 25 pets and then trading/selling them to others, which goes against the idea of leveling a team on your own

The pets that can be caged are mostly the vendor, rare drops and holiday pets. This will also allow trade of many current BOP pets, such as Lumpy, Searing Scorchling, Sea Pony, Sprite Darter, the Children's Week pets and quite a few more.
75 Blood Elf Rogue
Why would you ever want 3 of the SAME pet on your character???
90 Gnome Mage
SO CONFUSING
85 Night Elf Death Knight
What do you mean by standard pets? What about pets that you have in your inventory that you can currently sell which you haven't learned? Are you saying that any unlearned pets that exceed 3 will go away. For example, if I had 10 Sinister Squashlings across my account that I have not yet learned and which I can currently sell, are you saying I will only have 3 of them after the patch? If so, it seems unfair to not give much notice.

Also doesn't this conflict with the other information previously given that you could go above 3 for certain pets (6 Wolvars as the example given) at the time of the conversion?
Edited by Suraah on 8/24/2012 9:30 PM PDT
85 Worgen Death Knight
08/24/2012 07:49 PMPosted by Heavycream
4. All standard pets will be merged, with a limit of three per type. Players who currently have more than three of the same pet across their characters will see a total of three after the migration. Examples of standard pets: Orange Tabby Cat, Brown Prairie Dog, Crimson Whelpling.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6307802778#2 Mumper said:
Pets will still be merged on MoP launch, but instead of placing them in your bags or mail they will be placed directly in your pet journal. You will be allowed to have more than 500 and 3x per pet during this process. Any pets that are flagged as unique will be merged into one and also placed in your journal. (Unique pets are from Achievements, Pet Store, Promotions and Guild) You will be able to cage any pets that are tradeable and you can release anything that you have more than one of.

A few examples:
  • A B.net account has a total of 6 Wolvar Pups across all of it's characters. On merge the B.net account would have 6 Wolvar Pups. This would be the only time an account is allowed to have more than 3x of a single pet.

• Could someone reconcile these statements for us, please?

Thanks for pointing this out.

I have five crimson whelps on both my accounts and I was going to use one of them to trade for a different pet, if I only have three after this merge I will be a sad panda because I wanted to keep three of them and trade one then give the other to my mom :/.
    90 Blood Elf Paladin
    When Patch 5.0.4 goes live in the next week, we will be implementing systems that prepare characters for the Pet Battles system that is coming with World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria, and bringing account-wide non-combat pets to the game. During the patching process, non-combat pets will be migrated among your characters, with the final result being all of your non-combat pets available to all of your characters. This initial adjustment to your catalog of pets includes several changes that are worth noting.

1. There will be a limit of 500 pets, per player, that can be carried going forward.
    • Players will be allowed to go over the 500 pet cap during the 5.0.4 migration.
    • The migration will not convert more than a total of 1500 pets for a player.
    • Unique pets will be merged, so there will not be more than one unique pet on an account.

2. Pets that can only be used by characters of the other faction will be greyed out.
    • Such pets can only be summoned by characters of the proper faction.
    • Examples include: Balloons, Moonkin Hatchlings.
    • There are certain pets that will not be account-wide. Examples include: Guild Page, Guild Herald, Argent Squire, Argent Gruntling.

3. Players should not see more than one of any unique pets. Examles include: Lil' KT, Murky, and Frosty.

4. All standard pets will be merged, with a limit of three per type. Players who currently have more than three of the same pet across their characters will see a total of three after the migration. Examples of standard pets: Orange Tabby Cat, Brown Prairie Dog, Crimson Whelpling.

Thank you so much <3
    90 Draenei Priest
    I spent about an hour in the beta messing around with the pet system because I had some questions too. This is based on that very short time, so I very well could be missing something.

To answer the question why would you want 3 of the same pet... You will be able to select 3 pets to battle for you. A pet battle is between your 3 pets and your opponents 3 pets. You can swap any of the 3 in and out during the fight. The victor is the first to defeat (kill) all 3 of the opponents pets. Don't worry though; you can revive you pets with a spell or by stopping by a stable master and paying like 10 silver. I do not believe you can loose any pet you have either. Anyways, back to the main question: why would someone want to use the same pets? I suppose because they really like that pet and want to have an army of them.

The better question is is it a good strategy to use the same 3 pets. To answer that you have to understand the mechanics of pet battles. Again, this is based on a very short amount of time spent battling.

Pets are grouped into categories like undead, water, flying, etc. Each class has it's strengths, weaknesses, and abilities. I do not THINK that specific pets have special powers (Mojo the frog will have the same spells as any of the frogs outside Stormwind). So, I THINK you want to select 3 different categories for pet battles. For example, I fought my crawling claw (undead pet) against a frog (water pet). After a few rounds, I noticed that the frog was stronger and more resistant against undead pets. So, I swapped in my cat and one-shotted the frog.

If anyone can verify this, I would appreciate it:)
    This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]