Account-wide Pets with Patch 5.0.4

90 Tauren Druid
08/25/2012 11:27 AMPosted by Drakloki
My wife and I have several pets that we have purchased from the Blizz store. Will we be keeping them or are they all goin away if so I would like to know so that I can contact customer service. Plz let us know.

Your purchased pets will still be there, in your journal. You'll no longer have to fish them out of a mailbox when you create a new toon. Any that previously had to be mailed to new toons, will no longer need to be shared that way. They'll all be in your journal.
90 Night Elf Druid
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, but the basic idea is that we will have one big pool of pets, accessible by all of our characters. So instead of logging in and seeing different pets on each toon (like we do now), we will now see the same collection of pets, regardless of which toon you logged into.
The part that confuses me is that if we have a centralized pool of pets, why would we want three orange tabby cats instead of just one...
Maybe I'm not getting it.
90 Tauren Druid
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, but the basic idea is that we will have one big pool of pets, accessible by all of our characters. So instead of logging in and seeing different pets on each toon (like we do now), we will now see the same collection of pets, regardless of which toon you logged into.
The part that confuses me is that if we have a centralized pool of pets, why would we want three orange tabby cats instead of just one...
Maybe I'm not getting it.

Its not so much about 3 of a purchased pet. The way pet battles work, you can go out into the wild, battle a pet, tame it. If you tame pet A, and come up on another of the same kind of pet, you can then capture it as well, in hopes of taming a better quality pet. Say, pet A is a common quality pet, pet B is a rare quality pet. You'd have a better "fighter" with pet B. So if you could only have one of each, you'd have to release pet A, to tame pet B. This way, you can hang onto them to choose which quality you'd rather have.
We need a handy reference sheet of all pets and what function they serve post-patch. If I have a polar bear learned on one character, will all my characters now know it? If I learned a TCG pet on one character, will they all know it? What about Recruit-A-Friend and Scroll of Resurrection mounts? People understand tables and spreadsheets, put some out!
90 Draenei Shaman
08/25/2012 12:24 PMPosted by Rhianah
If I have a polar bear learned on one character, will all my characters now know it?

Yep.

If I learned a TCG pet on one character, will they all know it?

Yep.

What about Recruit-A-Friend and Scroll of Resurrection mounts?

These are also account-wide. :)

Kaivax stated in this post what pets aren't account-wide.
Every other pet should be. :p

As for mounts, the only mounts that aren't account-wide are class-specific mounts & arena/rbg mounts.
Faction-specific mounts remain faction-specific and do not convert to their faction equivalent.

If a mount does not fit the above criteria, it should be completely account-wide.
Edited by Novalas on 8/25/2012 12:33 PM PDT
85 Tauren Paladin
When Patch 5.0.4 goes live in the next week, we will be implementing systems that prepare characters for the Pet Battles system that is coming with World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria, and bringing account-wide non-combat pets to the game. During the patching process, non-combat pets will be migrated among your characters, with the final result being all of your non-combat pets available to all of your characters. This initial adjustment to your catalog of pets includes several changes that are worth noting.

1. There will be a limit of 500 pets, per player, that can be carried going forward.
  • Players will be allowed to go over the 500 pet cap during the 5.0.4 migration.
  • The migration will not convert more than a total of 1500 pets for a player.
  • Unique pets will be merged, so there will not be more than one unique pet on an account.

2. Pets that can only be used by characters of the other faction will be greyed out.
  • Such pets can only be summoned by characters of the proper faction.
  • Examples include: Balloons, Moonkin Hatchlings.
  • There are certain pets that will not be account-wide. Examples include: Guild Page, Guild Herald, Argent Squire, Argent Gruntling.

3. Players should not see more than one of any unique pets. Examles include: Lil' KT, Murky, and Frosty.

4. All standard pets will be merged, with a limit of three per type. Players who currently have more than three of the same pet across their characters will see a total of three after the migration. Examples of standard pets: Orange Tabby Cat, Brown Prairie Dog, Crimson Whelpling.

This makes no sense at all.
85 Gnome Death Knight

4. All standard pets will be merged, with a limit of three per type. Players who currently have more than three of the same pet across their characters will see a total of three after the migration. Examples of standard pets: Orange Tabby Cat, Brown Prairie Dog, Crimson Whelpling.

Actually, it makes perfect sense. If you have 1 toon total with a Dark Whelpling, then you'll have one across all your accounts. If you have like, a total of 10 with Chicken Egg (the westfall chicken), you'd come into 5.0.4 and find you'd have a total of 3 of them.
92 Night Elf Druid
A couple of questions that I need some clarification on?

1). What happens to the vanity pets on AH when patch day hits? Are we still going to be able to sell like we do now or do they need to be caged before they are able to be listed?

2). I take it with this patch we can "CAGE" the tradable pets and sell on the AH in the new pet battle tab?

3). Ok, say I have 10 toons with the same pet which I really do and I know they all get combind in your book and until MoP comes out we can go over the max limit, so does that mean all 10 will be in my pet book or only 3 and the other 7 mailed to each of those other characters?
92 Night Elf Druid

Actually, it makes perfect sense. If you have 1 toon total with a Dark Whelpling, then you'll have one across all your accounts. If you have like, a total of 10 with Chicken Egg (the westfall chicken), you'd come into 5.0.4 and find you'd have a total of 3 of them.

I do not like that " If you have like, a total of 10 with Chicken Egg (the westfall chicken), you'd come into 5.0.4 and find you'd have a total of 3 of them" I think since I have 10 on all my toons, 3 shoudl go in my book and the other 7 mailed to me so at least I can have them so I can cage and sell the 3 and then relearn the next 3 and sell those etc...etc.... until I get down to a final 3 in my book.

Some of thoese pets took a lot of time to get and they are just going to say sorry you are only getting 3 and destroy my other 7? BS!
92 Night Elf Druid
Also that makes we wonder why they are going to do with the vanity PETS we have NOW in the guild bank, are they going to auto be caged or put in our spell book and once again if we have more than 3 of something we are going to lose them?

I have been stocking up on vanity pets in my guild bank, I have a guild bank tab full of them so I really like to know what/how are you going to handle those ON AH and in a person GUILD BANK on patch day, give me some clue so I can do something with them before patch day or wait???
90 Draenei Shaman
Also that makes we wonder why they are going to do with the vanity PETS we have NOW in the guild bank, are they going to auto be caged or put in our spell book and once again if we have more than 3 of something we are going to lose them?

I have been stocking up on vanity pets in my guild bank, I have a guild bank tab full of them so I really like to know what/how are you going to handle those ON AH and in a person GUILD BANK on patch day, give me some clue so I can do something with them before patch day or wait???

A pet is not a pet until you actually learn it. Any unlearned pets you have in the guild bank, your personal bank or your bags will be treated like every other item you have. The merge will not affect it.
92 Night Elf Druid

A pet is not a pet until you actually learn it. Any unlearned pets you have in the guild bank, your personal bank or your bags will be treated like every other item you have. The merge will not affect it.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and give a decent answer.
89 Blood Elf Death Knight
08/24/2012 07:37 PMPosted by Adiathna
Hey Bliz...I have to agree with pretty much everyone here...this is about as vague and confusing as it could have possibly been. Any way we can get a Blizzardeeze to English conversion of this announcement? It seems to assume that all players have participated in the beta and are intimately familiar with every concept remotely related to the topic. Bad assumption. This is total greek to those of us who did not participate in the beta. Please be way more verbose and use way less legaleeze...and assume the audience doesn't have a clue what you are talking about (because we don't). Thanks guys.

Very well said. Blizzard, non-vague English please; or at least be kind enough to address some of the responses. You'd think it was a free game or something ...
Community Manager

The key is to differentiate between pets that your characters have learned, and potential pets that you have as items in bags or banks or in the mail or on the AH.

Pets that your characters have learned are going to be merged, and will be account-wide thereafter.

Pets that are items will be unaffected.
89 Blood Elf Death Knight
I am totally confused, and if someone could clarify, that would be awesome.

As I had understood it, pets would be account-wide, period, meaning, that if one character had it, all characters in that account would. Simple enough, right?

Sooooo ... what is this example of the three-cat thing? Why would I want three of the SAME pets on an acct.?
90 Tauren Hunter
Dear Kaivax and Blizz,

What happens when I log in with 2 WOW accounts that are using the same pet bank?

This seems like a major problem that nobody wants to address. Will we be able to battle each other with the same roster of pets? Will pet battles be disabled for one character? Will we be able to capture and level up pets simultaneously in different parts of the world? Will we be able to do the quest lines more than once?

This problem has not been testable on the beta!!!!

My son and I play together. If we can't do pet battles together, we will be very upset.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]