Help me get the lowdown on Disc/Atonement

90 Goblin Priest
The main issue with Atonement is that a lot of people refuse to NOT use it when they should. Smite isn't the iWin button, and if there's a lot of damage going out then the priest needs to switch back to direct heals. When this doesn't happen then people die, and the playstyle is usually blamed.

You can easily be an Atonement priest in poor gear and/or use Atonement without outgearing content, you just have to be aware of everything and be able and willing to use direct heals.

More haste = More damage = More healing
More crit = Higher possible damage = Higher possible healing
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
The main issue with Atonement is that a lot of people refuse to NOT use it when they should. Smite isn't the iWin button, and if there's a lot of damage going out then the priest needs to switch back to direct heals. When this doesn't happen then people die, and the playstyle is usually blamed.

You can easily be an Atonement priest in poor gear and/or use Atonement without outgearing content, you just have to be aware of everything and be able and willing to use direct heals.

More haste = More damage = More healing
More crit = Higher possible damage = Higher possible healing

Agreed. I've noticed I still have to drop out of it sometimes and throw a few penance/greater-heals and PoH's.

It basically fits into the "Three-Tiers of Tension" philosophy... where what you do during an instance run depends on overall group health.

Stage 1: DO WHATEVER YOU WANT! BOUNCY BOUNCY BOUNCY!
=========
=========
=========
=========
=========

Stage 2: LOLSMITE!
=======
=========
=====
========
=======

Stage 3: SAVE THE CHEERLEADER!
==
===
===
=
==
Edited by Snowfox on 8/24/2012 11:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I feel that how much atonement you can use, depends a lot on the gear of the group and the content. If the group is outgearing the content, e.g., lowbie leveling dungeons, or me healing HoTs and LFR, I could Atonement heal all the way with occassional PWS on people taking unexpected damage.

Otherwise, Atonement is more for taking the advantage of the healing buff by inserting damage spells to maintain Evengelism stacks. It takes practice to know when it's a good time to do it without Evengelism falls off.

I'm not quite sure how much this is changing coming in MoP. At 90, I just feel Atonement heals so little to be worth the mana cost. Maybe it will get better with gear towards the end of MoP xpac, as of now to allow healing out-geared content with Atonement when mana allows.

On the other hand, in MoP, with Atonement as baseline disc talent, every disc may be required to use it for the healing buff. I just don't know...
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Well, unless you're like me. Once you get decent gear you can basically do whatever you want in 5-mans.

Stage 1: LOLSMITE!
=========
=========
=========
=========
=========

Stage 2: LOLSMITE!
=======
=========
=====
========
=======

Stage 3: LOLSMITE!
==
===
===
=
==

Stage 4: Heal
=
=
X
X
X
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
08/24/2012 11:59 AMPosted by Subrosian
I'm a haste stacking baddie.

so gross.

And you're a dirty traitor to the Priesthood and you know it.

Panda Monk.

We must shun.
Shuuuuunnnnnnnn.
http://i.imgur.com/8PLgw.jpg
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of nerfs,
I will fear no pandas; For thou art with me, Subrosian.
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest

It's hard to say until we get into MoP. The problem with any "when you outgear the content" argument is that any healing build works when you outgear content. I could advocate stacking Int / Haste, Haste trinkets, etc.... and spamming Heal, and you could probably do that and clear Heroics and LFR no problem.

True. I meant to say that as a sort of "once you outgear content, all that matters is running it faster" - which is what disc/atonement seems great for.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
In the average group you can expect to do as much damage as a bad DPS'er, however, you could push the meters and be competitive with everyone else in the group at times.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

so gross.

And you're a dirty traitor to the Priesthood and you know it.

Panda Monk.

True, I am a dirty traitor. But in all seriousness, stat weights for disc are fight and strat dependent. I wore a spirit/mastery heavy set for some fights on progression, and haste heavy set for other fights. Sometimes numbers really ARE what matter, and haste is good for that.

I'm not the best person to talk about disc stat weights going forward though, because as you pointed out, I'm a traitor.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

We must shun.
Shuuuuunnnnnnnn.
http://i.imgur.com/8PLgw.jpg

I stood there in the valley of the MoP pre-patch, and I could hear them coming.

All around me, the sounds of Pandas. Monk Pandas. My brother Shadow Priest had already fallen, cleaved down in his prime by Warlocks, his raid spot devoured. My Shaman and Paladin companions had gone missing, and my hope for them dwindled as I heard screams from the adjacent woods.

...the Druids had overtaken them... I was too late.

As the onrushing mobs circled around me, dragging the chain-covered bench behind them, my Discipline faultered...but I knew all was not lost. Drawing the Holy symbols in the ground, I turned to face them and recite the message of my Priesthood:

Not today. Today I raid.

Hands down, best Subrosian post ever ;D
Reply Quote
87 Troll Druid
Does anyone know when atonement starts? The tooltip says lvl 60 but I see it showing up much earlier. Not sure but perhaps level 35 or 40.

Thanks
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Should you be stacking haste primarily for atonement heals?

I do not think so. Smite has such a low cast time for me at this level(1.12s), that it is essentially on the gcd anyway. Stacking haste primarily for faster holy fires shouldn't be worth it. Especially if you take the instant HF glyph.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Spirit > Intellect > Mastery > Haste = Crit

this is what noxxic says...although Int > Spirit imo...I mean Mindbender is up every minute with some legit mana return.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]