Only wide resolution?

Blizzard Employee
Hey Calmd,

I understand the concern, but this is probably something that may be updated in a future build, so it probably won't be immediate unless issues arise that cause technical issues.

I know there are someways to make this happen tin a 4:3 ratio aspect to get what you want. Do you happen to have the ability to connect a display in a 4:3 aspect? I have one connected to mine, and I switched to have the main display be the 4:3 aspect, though presenting some non-wide resolutions that I can do in Windowed mode.
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Priest
HI. Thanks for your interest in my situation. The game looks great and I am still enjoying it. I am able to adapt to the resolution issue. This is just one of those things that make you say "bummer". Since it's the only complaint I have, I would say I am doing rather well. I will keep looking forward to updates and keeping my fingers crossed. Anyway, thanks for your hard work and a great game, Calmd
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Hey Calmd,

I understand the concern, but this is probably something that may be updated in a future build, so it probably won't be immediate unless issues arise that cause technical issues.

I know there are someways to make this happen tin a 4:3 ratio aspect to get what you want. Do you happen to have the ability to connect a display in a 4:3 aspect? I have one connected to mine, and I switched to have the main display be the 4:3 aspect, though presenting some non-wide resolutions that I can do in Windowed mode.

Most people that are in this thread are looking to have a non-widescreen resolution available for windowed use while on a widescreen display for the ability to have the game open but still have viewable (and workable) space elsewhere.

If possible, a way to fix this would be to add a working toggle that lets you switch between 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratio resolutions when the game client is in Windowed mode only. This would allow users that want to have more space for out of game apps visible to have what they want, while still maintaining widescreen native capabilities for people that play in Windowed/Windowed (Fullscreen) modes who don't necessarily need out of game space. Fullscreen would remain as-is, since it automatically detects the proper resolutions AFAIK with regard to the main display in use.
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Priest
Hey-o, still me. Still checking. Tia, right on. Oh how I miss that feature. Anyway I still be keeping an optimistic outlook . Although I am sure it is not designated as a bug, it is a feature I have only played with for the last few years that is hard to give up. Non-wide resolution in a windowed display in every pot will be my platform. Oh well, still only one vote. ciao
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Just wanted to point out that Calmd isn't the only person who misses this feature. I've given up hope that it will be restored, though.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
Just another note from someone wanting this fixed - when resizing in windowed mode the aspect ratio is fixed to that of the display. Widescreen aspect ratios with the WoW camera style are just really aesthetically unpleasing to me - feels like I can't see what I'm doing with so much of the vertical space taken up by the UI.
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Priest
Looking forward to the expansion in a couple of days. I wonder if I will be able to play in a non-wide windowed mode. Hope springs eternal. I don't want to make a fuss, but I really, really miss it. I know you all are going to be very busy with the launch of MoP, perhaps this issue could be resolved prior? Anyway, bring on the pandas.
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Priest
On my mind now. Functionality. That's what it is. That's what I, and it seems others, miss. The ability to play this marvelous game in a windowed aspect ratio that allows us to take advantage of the computer screen real estate that provides the best functionality, i.e. non-wide. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Priest
Howdy. Still Here. I am enjoying the expansion, yet still miss the ability to view a windowed screen in less than a wide mode. Again, thank you for your interest in this in this matter and I look forward to a resolution ( no pun intended). Slightly funny.
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Priest
Remember in Princess Bride, "I'm waiting"?

I am thinking of that right now. Loving, loving the expansion. It is superb so far in my opinion. You and everyone around you should gather together in a group hug. Good work. Now, if only, we could solve this little problem of not making available a non-wide option in windowed made for this humble, lowly mac user. Por favor. Thank you (just to be redundant)
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
This is something that is planned in a future update, but no ETA. When this is changed, we'll communicate it in patch notes or in a sticky.
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Priest
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! That would add another layer of awesomeness to this 6 layer dip. Mmmmmmm, 7 layer dip. Can't wait, Thanks again
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warlock
Again, was this really a problem that needed to be fixed? If someone had black bars while they were playing in full screen, all they had to do was change the resolution. Now, for people who want to play in a non native aspect ratio, they don't even have a choice. More options are almost always better than fewer.

Why not put it back like it was where you could see all of the display resolutions for which you have in your Mac Display Preferences? I bought a program called SwitchResX so that I could add the aspect ration I wanted to my Display Prefs. The only reason I did this was to get the aspect ratio I wanted in Warcraft. Silly I know but it worked...for YEARS! Now, the ability gets taken away, for seemingly no reason, and it is called a feature. Bah.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
This also fixed other bugs, like clipping issues, hotcorners and other things, which is why this was changed.
Edited by Machkhan on 10/13/2012 11:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
I miss even having just a lower resolution possible. As it stands, I can only play in 960x600 windowed, and can't resize the window any smaller. In 4.x I had the option of 800x600, and could resize it even smaller on my macbook. With a maximum resolution of 1280x800, I don't have any space for the browser I used to have up next to it.

What I don't understand is why this was "fixed" for mac users, when the windows client can use either wide or 4:3 aspect ratios, and resize down to about 320x240. Not that I want to go that tiny, but you get my point.

I understand if you want to prevent users from screwing up their settings on accident, but at least let us power users get what we want via a config file or something. Heck, my Config.wtf file still has gxResolution "800x600" from long ago, yet it does nothing. Let it do something!
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
You should try the PTR.
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Priest
Woohoo. It looks like the patch gave me the option of 800X600. I'll take it. thanks for giving me that availabilty and I am loving this expansion and pet battles. Thanks again for all the work y'all do. Cheers!!!
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
:)

Use a sheep as your main pet lol. Just kitten.
Edited by Machkhan on 11/28/2012 12:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Death Knight
I don't play on a mac I have a pc laptop, but I play in windowed mode cause it lags less and I truly dislike playing in widescreen because the spell bars are separated instead of connected. I played on a low non wide resolution so I could play the game. Now I hope no one notices me in a LFR and live with disliking my button set up >.> is there a way on any setting to not have to play in widescreen?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]