How do I <Shoot> a gun/bow post 5.0.4

90 Human Rogue
Help, could I get some clarification from a GM or Blizzard staffer...
I've read all the PTR patch release note, get prepared guide, and everything else I could get my hands on, and I can't find anything that say's Blizzard intended to remove guns/bows from all classes except Hunters, but that appears to be the one of the outcomes of 5.0.4.

Yes, I can equip bows and guns in the main weapon slot, which suggests to me that as they're not Redd'ed out as 'un-equippable by class, that I should still be able to use them.

Problem is, that characters such as my Rogues and Warriors have lost their <Shoot> ability, so they have no way to use them. Primary attack functions all require/apply-to melee weapons only.

There is nothing in the know issues list, but there appears to be a problem of some kind.
Either it was the intention to remove these ranged weapons from these classes, in which case they should be marked as RED and shown as un-usable by class (and the Patch release notes updated to include something this dramastic), or the <Shoot> ability has been left out of the Spell Book UN-Intentionally, in which case I wish someone would aknowlege that it is a problem to be addressed.

If I'm missing something very basic, could someone please point me in the right direction....
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Guns and bows currently are only hunter weapons. The only other range wep (wands) are for caster such as mages, priests, and warlocks.

No other class has a useable range weapon.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7080372/World_of_Warcraft_504_Patch_Notes-8_28_2012

Look for the section under items.
Items
Spell Penetration has been replaced by PvP Power on existing items.
Head enchants removed
Enchants that modify the gear in your head slot have been removed from the game. This includes older head enchants of every type.
Relics, ranged, and thrown items
The slot in which ranged, relics, and thrown items were previously equipped has been removed. All weapons should now be equipped in the weapon slot.
Ranged weapons, including wands, have been adjusted to be more powerful.
Ranged weapons no longer have a minimum range.

Though is doesn't specify bows and guns are hunters only that seems to have been what they meant.
Edited by Ceidre on 8/30/2012 10:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Can't warriors still equip guns and bows?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
*shrugs* i don't know I went ahead and sold the range items on my melee toons.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
All weapons should now be equipped in the weapon slot.
Ranged weapons, including wands, have been adjusted to be more powerful.
Ranged weapons no longer have a minimum range.

Though is doesn't specify bows and guns are hunters only that seems to have been what they meant

I'm sorry, but I've read this a hundred times, and it still doesn't meantion anything like what you are suggesting. It tells you how to equip them now, and says that they are getting better...

Furthermore, as Fighters and Rogues can still equip these items and indeed, can still purchase these items from vendors, I am asking for some real clarification from Blizzard.

There was never any hint from Blizzard in the test realm discussions prior the release of this patch that such a dramatic change as removing whole weapon clasess from character classes was going to take place.

If it is the case, and I don't think it is, Blizzard just needs to say so, and then fix the items so they're not equipable.

I just want someone who REALLY KNOWs to say one way or the other....
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
if your on your rogue there's an ability called thrown and that's your ranged. the only difference is it doesn't require a thrown weapon like it used to.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
08/31/2012 01:34 AMPosted by Lurus
if your on your rogue there's an ability called thrown and that's your ranged. the only difference is it doesn't require a thrown weapon like it used to

Yes, I agree it's "A" form of ranged, and fighters have the same ability, (always had it), but thats not the point... Throwing a dagger is not the not the same thing as using a bow, crossbow, or gun, and has neither the range or hitting potential.

My question still remains, are these classes of weapons meant to be un-equipable by Rogues and fighters (and therefore RED), or has someone forgotten to put back the <shoot> ability ???

Anyone who can speak for Bliz ?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
My question still remains, are these classes of weapons meant to be un-equipable by Rogues and fighters (and therefore RED), or has someone forgotten to put back the <shoot> ability ???

Anyone who can speak for Bliz ?

It's intended. There's no way on a rogue or warrior you would be equipping a bow/gun as a main weapon. Stack sticks have been removed and bows/guns have been made main weapons for hunters.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
08/31/2012 02:05 AMPosted by Mizani
It's intended. There's no way on a rogue or warrior you would be equipping a bow/gun as a main weapon. Stack sticks have been removed and bows/guns have been made main weapons for hunters

Sorry, but I'm looking for a little more than an opinion...

Just because it's something you might not think or wish to do, doesn't mean others don't or won't. That's like saying Hunters wouldn't use melee weapons...

I often used the tactic of using a bow or gun at range (often to agro the mob) and then switch to a melee weapon as they got to close range. (Just as you would in real life.)
This still works even if you have to change equipment sets now, because of the requirement to main hand equip both ranged and melee weapons. In fact, when I occassionally forget to change back after doing Daily's, and find myself vainly trying to maul a mob with a fishing Pole,
I perform exactly that type of main hand equipment change in combat...

Even if it was something that wasn't used all the time, Fighters and Rogue could use these classes of weapons (and CAN STILL EQUIP them), so if it is meant to be removed can someone OFFICIALLY come out and say so... OR HOW do FIGHTERS/ROGUES Shoot post 5.0.4

Seriously, can anyone suggest that any form of Elven fighter couldn't shoot a bow? It is tantamount to saying all Night Elven Warriors need to become Hunters......
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
08/31/2012 02:39 AMPosted by Annathene
I often used the tactic of using a bow or gun at range (often to agro the mob) and then switch to a melee weapon as they got to close range. (Just as you would in real life.)
Well, since the minimum range has been removed, you no longer have to switch as a hunter to using a melee weapon. For non-hunters though, they do not have the same benefits with those guns or bows so a melee weapon is more to their benefit and DPS.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior

Spam throw will do more damage then oldschool "Shoot" Ability ever did. I dont have "Shoot" on my rogue or warrior spellbook, so its not just you. Its also not on beta warrior or rogue(Copied or not) so looks like its inteded to be gone as shocking as that is. Im pretty sure they left weps equiptable for flavor of xmogs or rp(And so warriors/rogues can still obtain the legendary bow feat of str). As for actual combat use? Nil. Would be beyond ineffecient, even considering how easy mobs of equal level of a char are to kill. If you wana argue you that further then your just a troll who is looking for attention from causing a fight.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
You're allowed to equip them for visual purposes. This is to ensure that Rogues and Warriors who got Thori'dal or any other ranged weapon they're particularly attached to are still able to show if off, even though it serves no gameplay purpose anymore.

I believe (but am not entirely certain) that Hunters are in the same boat so they can show off their Thunderfury or other melee weapon(s). I'm not 100% sure if their basic auto-attack has been removed or not, but I do know they no longer have any skills which use it.

If you need a ranged attack, Throw is what you have now. Otherwise it's display purposes only.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Throw is what you have now.

Thx for you whole post being a repost of mine, with no diff information
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
08/31/2012 02:39 AMPosted by Annathene
Sorry, but I'm looking for a little more than an opinion...

It's not an opinion. Ranged weapons are now hunter main hand weapons. Ranged weapons no longer exist for other classes.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
It was still a poor decsion on Blizzards part, I actually enjoyed using my throwing weapons on my warrior at times for fun, in low level areas, or to kill critters. Flipping some dagger at them with my new throw abilitiy just isnt the same level of enjoyment for me. Granted its not a game changer at all in a large way, but still its one more thing I miss.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Thanks everyone for your comments, but the situation remains the same.

I've been asking this in numerous places for some time now, even raised tickets (with no responses). and still I've seen no response from Bliizard, and no-one can point to a document or post from Blizzard that says this was an intentional out-come.

Yes I know that it "IS HOW IT IS" following the patch release, and I don't really care about discussing the merits or otherwise of the change, if it is intended, and If I did care deeply about the change, I wouldn't be discussing it in the Tech Support forums.

It is a significant change to the use of a class of weapons by two different character classes, and it is not documented anywhere by Blizzard, in or out of Patch Notes. The Ranged weapon range changes for Hunters is officially referrenced, but not this.

And No, it doesn't matter whether a thousand Players or 100 thousand players have commented or given opinion on the subject, a heck of a lot of us are still waiting to see a single response from Blizzard.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
08/31/2012 04:51 AMPosted by Mizani
Ranged weapons no longer exist for other classes.

Could you Pleae provide some reference to the source document you base your statement on. Thats the point of my question.

I don't care whether its release notes or just a post response from a Blizzard Staffer or GM. Just where can I find it...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]