How do I <Shoot> a gun/bow post 5.0.4

85 Orc Warrior
Because patch notes aint worded to your satisfaction you open tickets that tie up blizzard over ppl who have account situations that actually matter? I see why your being ignored by the blues.
Reply Quote
11 Goblin Shaman
08/31/2012 07:11 AMPosted by Annathene
Ranged weapons no longer exist for other classes.

Could you Pleae provide some reference to the source document you base your statement on. Thats the point of my question.

I don't care whether its release notes or just a post response from a Blizzard Staffer or GM. Just where can I find it...

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7080372/World_of_Warcraft_504_Patch_Notes-8_28_2012

Relics, ranged, and thrown items

The slot in which ranged, relics, and thrown items were previously equipped has been removed. All weapons should now be equipped in the weapon slot.
Ranged weapons, including wands, have been adjusted to be more powerful.
Ranged weapons no longer have a minimum range.

The above is from the patch notes.

The ranged slot no longer exists.

While other classes, like warriors, may still be able to equip ranged weapons in their main hand slots, their abilities require melee weapons so they will not actually be able to use them.

Items that used to go in the ranged slot are now main hand weapons for hunters and have been buffed accordingly.

Other than class specific abilites, like Herioc Throw for warriors, the only "ranged" ability is Throw which will hurl a dagger (that you don't actually have equipped or anything) at your target.

I haven't played around yet with any of my casters, so I'm not sure what, if anything, you can still do that would be similar to, or involve, wands.
Reply Quote
Nezne
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7080372/World_of_Warcraft_504_Patch_Notes-8_28_2012

Relics, ranged, and thrown items

The slot in which ranged, relics, and thrown items were previously equipped has been removed. All weapons should now be equipped in the weapon slot.
Ranged weapons, including wands, have been adjusted to be more powerful.
Ranged weapons no longer have a minimum range.

The ranged slot no longer exists

Yeah, the range slot disappeared, so what.....

These notes say three things .
Firstly, that the ranged slot has been removed and you must use the primary weapons slot.
- This works fine and Warriors and Rogues can equip a ranged weapon in that slot. the
same way my Preist or Lock now puts their wand in that slot to use them.
Secondly, that ranged weapons, including wands, are now more powerful.
- This appears to be true, at least for wands (about bows and guns, I can't tell)
Thirdly, that the minimum range restriction has been removed.
- and if you participated in the test realm conversations, you know that this is more for the
benefit of Hunters.

What they don't say, is that the <shoot> ability has been removed from the Rogue and Warrior Classes. Which is what appears to have happened.

Nor do they hint at any change to the use of ranged weapons by these classes, in any way.
I don't know, something like a simple "Warriors and Rogues no longer get to fire ranged weapons" or "with this patch, Ranged weapons are now cosmetic attachments for Warriors and Rogues" but no, there is nothing of the sort.
This makes it an Un-Documented change, regardless of how many non-blizzard players may comment on it, and any undocumented change to the game is a BUG, until such time as Blizzard document it (or at least aknowlege it), at which time it can then be called a New Feature ;-)
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Oy. Enough already.

In Mists of Pandaria, bows, crossbows and guns would be considered hunter-appropriate weapons. In LFR, a rogue or warrior would never be offered a bow as a loot reward. Rogues and warriors will still be able to equip ranged weapons, but they would be very sub-optimal for doing so (sort of the equivalent of a warrior wearing cloth). We left the ability to equip weapons for role-playing reasons and because some existing rogues and warriors have epic or legendary ranged weapons, and it would be mean if they could no longer equip them at all.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4217173624?page=18#345
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Mage
08/31/2012 01:44 AMPosted by Annathene
if your on your rogue there's an ability called thrown and that's your ranged. the only difference is it doesn't require a thrown weapon like it used to

Yes, I agree it's "A" form of ranged, and fighters have the same ability, (always had it), but thats not the point... Throwing a dagger is not the not the same thing as using a bow, crossbow, or gun, and has neither the range or hitting potential.

My question still remains, are these classes of weapons meant to be un-equipable by Rogues and fighters (and therefore RED), or has someone forgotten to put back the <shoot> ability ???

Anyone who can speak for Bliz ?

what is your IQ? 70? less?

you can equip them as a rogue or warrior, but you cannot under any circumstance use it. that is all there is to it. bows/guns/xbows are now HUNTER ONLY, upset? play a hunter!
Reply Quote
11 Goblin Shaman
What they don't say, is that the <shoot> ability has been removed from the Rogue and Warrior Classes. Which is what appears to have happened.

Nor do they hint at any change to the use of ranged weapons by these classes, in any way.
I don't know, something like a simple "Warriors and Rogues no longer get to fire ranged weapons" or "with this patch, Ranged weapons are now cosmetic attachments for Warriors and Rogues" but no, there is nothing of the sort.

Maybe they figured most players would understand that by taking away the slot for the weapon they were also taking away the ability to use it?

For warriors and rogues, ranged weapons have just been stat sticks, they served no real purpose. Yeah you could shoot/throw to pull something, but both classes have abilities that allow them to do that without using a ranged weapon.

If you are one of the few that actually used your ranged weapon as a rogue/warrior, then you'll just have to adjust. Use the Throw ability they left in. Or use your class abilities that do the same thing.

It's not a bug, it's working as intended. They don't always, or have to, spell out every little change. They let us know way in advance that warriors/rogues would be losing ranged weapons, logic dictates that no longer having a ranged slot means no longer using a ranged weapon, unless of course you are a hunter.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Rogue
So unless a blue said specifically that the ability shoot is being removed from the game, you think its a bug?

Even when they said everything just short of saying its being removed from the game, and made it obvious that it is?

And btw, when everyone in the thread is saying that its been removed and its working as intended, thats not an opinion...
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
S/he just wanted to see the blue text referring to the change, guys. It's OK.

08/31/2012 08:42 AMPosted by Weran
And btw, when everyone in the thread is saying that its been removed and its working as intended, thats not an opinion...

To be fair, a lot of people like to state opinions as though they're facts. :) People also like to make conclusions about game changes and then treat them like they must be right, only to find themselves corrected by blue posts down the road.

I ain't saying it's remotely possible that the Shoot ability being removed from the game for melee classes was accidental. Just that, for a person who's deeply (perhaps even a little bit obsessively) skeptical to begin with, us random Joes and Joettes on the Internet aren't going to convince them simply by saying it's fact.
Edited by Rfeann on 8/31/2012 8:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
"There are two types of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data…"

Personally, it felt to me like a logical extension rather than an omission. Still, perhaps a CSFA will have an understandable way to convey the nuances.
Reply Quote
08/31/2012 08:33 AMPosted by Rfeann

Thank you, this is all I was after.....

If it ain't Blue.. It ain't True....
Reply Quote
10 Goblin Rogue

One of the dumbest things I've ever read.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_apIbmsUwU
Reply Quote
Sorry, used to work for IBM in another life.....
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Rogue

Hey Annathene, thanks for being persistent in chasing down a solid answer for this. I've been trying to find a solid source/reference to explain & confirm this change as well.

~ G.
Edited by Ghelor on 9/25/2012 7:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
holy !@#$ this op is an idiot
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
09/24/2012 02:37 PMPosted by Ghelor

Hey Annathene, thanks for being persistent in chasing down an solid answer for this. I've been trying to find a solid source/reference to explain & confirm this change as well.

~ G.

What am I, chopped rogue?

Hmph.
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Rogue
Hi Rfeann. No, not chopped rogue... maybe just another example of how no good deed goes unpunished? ;D

I did appreciate that you were able to provide her with the reference she was looking for, which, of course, also helped me. So thank you for that.

But, I appreciated even more that you'd offered a bit of balanced perspective to the exchange, highlighting the distinction between opinion/inference & fact, as well as why someone might prefer to see & evaluate the source material for themselves. So thank you even more for that... :)

~ G.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
This was the best meal my already-overinflated sense of self-worth has had in a long time. :)

We're piggybacking on a mini-necro here, but I do wanna note that I could see how it might be tough for a player to trust what any particular person in our forum posts, especially if they don't visit the forum regularly and have no sense for which of us are more trustworthy than others. So I empathize with that desire to get a peek at the horse's mouth.

I mean, don't get me wrong -- part of me gets frustrated and a little indignant that people wouldn't just automatically take my words at face value. (My hat basically exudes a sense of trust, yesno?) But given that these forums don't really provide folks with a way to tell a "trusted" poster from a less-trusted one (and rightfully so, I think), I respect the urge to get source confirmation. Heck, that's one of the foundations of my own approach to research; how could I knock it in others?
Edited by Rfeann on 9/25/2012 1:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
I'm having the same issue of not being able to shoot. Anyway, it would have been nice if it were more clear that Rogues are no longer able to use a gun. And you should really chill when people are asking questions. We aren't trolling for people to piss off or looking for trouble. We just want legitimate answers to our legitimate questions. After all we pay for this game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]