Client Crashing While Loading Character/Realm

85 Night Elf Rogue
My game client has been working fine since 5.0.4, but today, after a routine realm restart (I'm on draka), the client crashes every time I click enter realm for one of my characters. The loading bar will get about a quarter of the way across the screen before freezing and eventually crashing. I have a 2009 Macbook Pro with an Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB graphics card. I am running Mac OS X 10.8.1.
I am getting an error message saying (excerpt):

Assertion Failed!

App: /Applications/World of Warcraft/World of Warcraft-64.app
File: (unknown)
Line: 0
Error Code: 0x85100086
Time: 2012-08-31 09.55.15 EDT

Assertion: Failed to read file from local.

Details: (Streaming Status: Enabled / Mfil Rdy / Data Rdy, Build: 16016)
[127] err=0 text=SFileReadFile - WORLD\WMO\AZEROTH\BUILDINGS\STORMWIND\SW_DWARVENDISTRICT_054.wmo - Data\world.MPQ
[126] err=87 text=mopaq_read - fail to repair offset 0 amount 79174
[125] err=87 text=InitializeAndRead - fail to repair offset 0 amount 79174
[124] err=1006 text=RepairFile - Failed to re-read the bad section: offset = 0, length = 28
[123] err=1006 text=ValidateRead - InitializeMD5Buffer fail 1 0
[122] err=1006 text=ValidateBlock - ValidateBlock fail - m_length:35433 m_baseOffset:1179104789 blockIndex:0 length:16384, retry:3
[121] err=1006 text=ValidateBlock - ValidateBlock fail - m_length:35433 m_baseOffset:1179104789 blockIndex:0 length:16384, retry:2
[120] err=1006 text=ValidateBlock - ValidateBlock fail - m_length:35433 m_baseOffset:1179104789 blockIndex:0 length:16384, retry:1
[119] err=1006 text=RepairFile - Failed to re-read the bad section: offset = 0, length = 28

I have tried reinstalling the wow client.

Any thoughts?
Edited by Mythremian on 8/31/2012 7:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I'm experiencing the same issue. Game ran beautifully yesterday, but this morning, I am unable to log into any of my toons. Load screen gets to about 90-95% and then freezes.

I've tried switching realms, making toons on various continents, but nothing helps.

I do not, however think this is a Mac-related / hardware issue, as I'm seeing similar threads on the other Tech Support forum. My only assumption is that something in the restart went wrong... at least that's what I'm hoping, and that it's something that can be addressed quickly.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I've been having basically the same problem, the only difference for me is that this issue has been consistent since the patch actually hit on tuesday.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
I think I've managed to fix the problem (at least its working for me atm).

Go to the Wow folder in applications, and delete the catch, interface, and WTF folders. Then go into the data folder (in the same directory), and delete the Cache folder there. Next go to your shared folder (search it in finder or find it under users) and delete the battle.net and blizzard folders there. Now open the launcher and let it load to at least optimal, then try launching it.

I hope this works for you as well.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I have this same problem. I tried deleting the cache, interface, WTF, and the blizz shared folders but still no luck. I don't know what the issue is. Hopefully it is only a restart issue.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I have deleted all Interface, WTF, Cache folders as well as move Battle.net folders just to check if that would make a difference (which the forums pointed out) however nothing is currently happening. My 9 Characters get stuck on the initial loading screen at 90% then disconnect 30-60 seconds afterwards. However, if i make a new character on the same realm (making it the 10th char.) it works perfectly fine including perfect FPS and latency. Iv'e done everything the forums have suggested and im thinking theres a problem within my account because iv'e done everything i could possibly do to solve this problem including launching the 32-bit client and setting all graphics to the lowest setting!
Realm: Ysondre and all my 9 characters cannot get past loading screen
Please help! This is the 8th day this has been happening and i'm losing valuable time and money.
And on another note it says to access files /Applications/World of Warcraft/Errors but in my World of warcraft folder there is no error folder inside.
Specs:
iMac 27-inch
Processor 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 10 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB
Software Mac OSX Lion 10.7.4
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Death Knight
Having the same issue
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
If its loading to 90 - 95% my best guess is that its addon related, make sure all your addons are up to date. If they are try running the game in 32 - bit mode.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Hunter
Definitely not just a Mac issue. Having the same problem.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Same problem here, I can pick my toon and then it will load about 90% and crash and give me an error 134. I have all updated drivers the computer is new build. All was working great before the patch after the patch cannot get on at all.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Oz
Add another.

& I use 0 addons
Edited by Echoics on 9/6/2012 10:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Now I have a new problem none of my characters show up when I log in...
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Oh good, it's not just me. I'm in the process of completely reinstalling wow (as i thought it was my fault for closing wow during the 5.0 download).

I'll let everyone know if it seems to work better afterwards.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Oh good, it's not just me. I'm in the process of completely reinstalling wow (as i thought it was my fault for closing wow during the 5.0 download).

I'll let everyone know if it seems to work better afterwards.

After a full reinstall, Everything seems to be running MUCH smoother. No crashes yet, and no bugs.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
After a full reinstall, Everything seems to be running MUCH smoother. No crashes yet, and no bugs.

Ugh, I was hoping a reinstall was not what I needed to do, but I'm starting to think that's the only option (other than nixing my subscription altogether). I'm getting pretty sick of the constant advice to delete the cache, WTC, battlenet folder etc. I've now done that multiple times on 2 different machines, and within 24 hours WoW will start having problems again. I've re-downloaded the world.mpq file multiple times, for example, and it's apparently become corrupted multiple times...

Latest issue is that I've had 3 toons attempt to enter a BG only to have the game crash and then then the toons become inaccessible -- if I try to load them again the game just freezes.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The only error log I see posted in this thread is from the original poster.....and that error is due to a corrupted data/world.MPQ file. The solution for that is copied from the following thread:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6490399415

Looks like another corrupt world.mpq file :(

You will need to have the game redownload this file.

This will require a ~3.37GB redownload.

1. Delete the world.mpq file in /Applications/World of Warcraft/Data folder.
2. Delete the Battle.net folder located in Users/Shared
3. Launch World of Warcraft Launcher
This will now rebuild the Launcher tools, and force the launcher to re-download a new world.mpq file. It may stay stuck at "initializing" for a bit, but after a min or 2, it will download.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
Right... and my problem is that in forums and thru support tickets I've now been told to reinstall the world.mpq file multiple times, and every time it's become corrupted again. Totally exasperating.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
idk...sorry....my issue was a corrupted data/texture.MPQ file. I had issues even getting to download at all from blizzard (followed the instructions from a blue post and everything...which is actually the same instructions for the world.mpq file). What ended up working for me was copying my texture file from my working beta file over to my live file. Not sure if this fix will work for the world.mpq file though
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
09/07/2012 06:01 AMPosted by Kolyma
Right... and my problem is that in forums and thru support tickets I've now been told to reinstall the world.mpq file multiple times, and every time it's become corrupted again. Totally exasperating.

Are you crashing with the same error every time ?

An error report coming up mentioning world.MPQ in it (like the OP's crash report) ?

Or is it another MPQ file that it's mentioning ?

Let's try something new.

First off make sure Agent is NOT running. You should be able to see this in Activity Monitor. If you can't find it or find the process of looking for it to quit it Restart but don't open any Blizzard programs once you've restarted

Secondly grab yourself a decent download manager like iGetter or something similar.

Next look at the latest error report you. Should find a copy in the Errors folder.

Open it and look for to see if it has a "Assertion : failed to read file from local" line

Just underneath will me a long string of text starting with "SFileReadFile" followed by the name of some asset file then the name of an MPQ file.

Next using the links below download the appropriate file.

texture.mpq & world.mpq :

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lpEyCrJIkKKnq6je_9R3ZnzKeQ_cuIJgNz7Btroqqvk/edit

wow-update-base-16016 & wow-update-enUS-16016 :

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G_exw-6jfRJsAj9cnqzBuSbsNWixawSIOUYsrodsWe4/edit

Now before you drag them into the locations indicated by the docs make sure you take a backup copy of them.

This means if they do corrupt again you can just copy them back in with (hopefully) freshly downloaded non corrupted versions.

Finally do not enter game until you've fully downloaded the game. Make sure you're not streaming any data or downloading anything at the Launcher before pressing play.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
What ended up working for me was copying my texture file from my working beta file over to my live file. Not sure if this fix will work for the world.mpq file though

It should do.

Beta world.mpq / texture.mpq is exactly the same file used in Live. Same size , same patch base.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]