5.2 Competitive Fire PvP (in progress)

Bloobungle
85 Dwarf Mage
Mediocrity in Motion

To infinite and beyond!

Bloobungle--you passion and enthusiasm are really appreciated.

I for one feel they have destroyed the mage for PvP--and given us the shaft.

Your posts make me feel like there is hope...though...i can only see a glimmer as it stands now.

Thanks for your ideas and info
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage

Enjoy the leveling race tonight. I'll be that fat slow kid catching up in the background. Slow and steady wins the race, right!?

I'm only level 87 and almost every one of my friends is level 90. *sigh*
Edited by Eluss on 10/7/2012 9:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
Reporting back in with updated news throughout the day! Original post will be modified to keep up with progression.

As for the bomb discussion:
I do agree that they are incredibly situational and depend on what you are looking to accomplish. Nether Tempest is great for a dot cleave style team. Living Bomb is awesome for a quick application and steady DPS. And Frost Bomb is your go-to spell if you want to line up some chunky burst. Keep in mind that you must remain stationary while casting it.. which I'm struggling to succeed at.

And because Blazing Speed was brought up recently, I thought I'd share a bit of my experience. For those who don't want to look back... Blazing Speed #1!!

Link to discussion (tier 2):
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6470848078?page=1#2
Edited by Bloobungle on 10/7/2012 11:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
My question is what does fire actually bring that arcane and frost doesn't. Arcane can get Frost Bombs hitting harder than Pyroblast's direct damage and Arcane Barrages hitting for double of fire's Scorch due to Mana Adept + Incanter keeping mana at 100%, with a spammable snare that also happens to weaken dots and hots (it seems that the 25% casting effect is a subtractive haste effect; Slow is able to remove some ticks from living bomb and nether tempest, as well as reduce the amount of mana recovered by Evocation), while frost can crit often and has a AoE root useable even if you are silenced or cc'ed in any other form.

10/07/2012 10:32 AMPosted by Bloobungle
Frost Bomb is your go-to spell if you want to line up some chunky burst. Keep in mind that you must remain stationary while casting it.. which I'm struggling to succeed at.

xD

Being an Arcane Mage, I'm more than used to it. And Frost bomb seems to be one of the best ways arcane can deal burst on demand anyway, so it's my favorite bomb.

One thing that I didn't see in your guide, Frost Bomb checks for damage buffs at the moment of the explosion, not when it is used (which is the reason why we don't have to freeze the target before casting it to get the Shatter). Popping a spellpower trinket right before the explosion improves its damage, and it works well if macro'ed with glyphed Inferno Blast.

09/01/2012 10:59 AMPosted by Bloobungle
Blazing Speed is in a world of its own. Close gaps, create gaps, and do it in style! I can preach all day about how useful this talent choice is but, I doubt it will persuade anyone to try it out. I mean, who's crazy enough to pass up on a comfort shield? Well I'll tell you this much... We didn't need a shield before and we still don't need one. Play your character well and you don't even need a lot of resilience. It's all about maintaining the upper hand.

I don't see Blazing Speed being that useful, given that snares persist after the run and every root/stun negate the talent. Most melees also have ways to keep good damage at range (ret with seal of corruption, DK's diseases, rogues with poisoned Shuriken, pets and so on) and can try to beat the Blazing mage by withering him. For creating gaps, Ice Ward seems better as it doesn't sacrifice the absorption of Ice Barrier.
Reply Quote
Tried frostbomb out in a few BG's and have decided that it is spectacular for encounters where enemies are sparse... that said, in rBG's I am generally sent where the action is thick (which is where a lot of enemies are). In this case, Living bomb is the boss. I've been trying to time three bombs going off so that you apply one to each of three targets every GCD. When the first is about to go off you freeze the target and pop your damage trinket, giving you a shatter crit on those targets, followed by another bomb blast from number 2. Just as bomb 2 goes off you inferno blast number 3 and it appears to apply that bomb's last second to the other targets as well, giving you even more 'splosions.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I wouldn't be using NT. It breaks poly's a lot.
(For arena)
Reply Quote
one thing i never understood... why did they make fingers of frost non-dispelable BUT you can dispel heating up procs all day long?

every time i face a mage 1v1 it's a friggin' spell stealing spam contest
Reply Quote
Id like to say that Invocation is extremely strong in bgs atm, the cast time in full dread is only ~ 5-5.5 secs which is easy street to get the channel off in even the most intense situations. Incanter's absorbtion(the dmg buff from incanter's ward) is stealable i didnt notice it until i was testing the 2 talents against each other and noticed that my dmg against other mages was leaps and bounds more than against any other class Spellsteal FTW. I think the bomb discussion is a moot point atm as NT is woefully unreliable when it comes to breaking cc constantly, FB is great for single target burst but is wasted as fire imo lacks the number of freezes to make it completely viable to the spec, LB is the pick here imo as its an insta cast and is comparable in dmg in the long run when kept applied to 2+ targets.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
10/12/2012 05:51 AMPosted by Copperbert
Id like to say that Invocation is extremely strong in bgs atm, the cast time in full dread is only ~ 5-5.5 secs which is easy street to get the channel off in even the most intense situations. Incanter's absorbtion(the dmg buff from incanter's ward) is stealable i didnt notice it until i was testing the 2 talents against each other and noticed that my dmg against other mages was leaps and bounds more than against any other class Spellsteal FTW.

I've never noticed (and I'm not able to even test this at the moment), but on this note, is our 40sec damage buff we get from Invocation also easily spellstolen/purged?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
10/12/2012 09:11 AMPosted by Jibbajabba
Id like to say that Invocation is extremely strong in bgs atm, the cast time in full dread is only ~ 5-5.5 secs which is easy street to get the channel off in even the most intense situations. Incanter's absorbtion(the dmg buff from incanter's ward) is stealable i didnt notice it until i was testing the 2 talents against each other and noticed that my dmg against other mages was leaps and bounds more than against any other class Spellsteal FTW.

I've never noticed (and I'm not able to even test this at the moment), but on this note, is our 40sec damage buff we get from Invocation also easily spellstolen/purged?

No, it's not. I use it in 2's sometimes.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
10/12/2012 10:37 AMPosted by Nukaazul
No, it's not. I use it in 2's sometimes.

Hmmm, that's actually a good thing and great to know.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
one thing i never understood... why did they make fingers of frost non-dispelable BUT you can dispel heating up procs all day long?

every time i face a mage 1v1 it's a friggin' spell stealing spam contest

Aside from stealing their ice barriers I generally just go offensive on other mages. If they want to spend their globals stealing my buffs they're welcome to them.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
It's a little more frustrating to have an enhancement shaman run forward and purge you to death while their weapon automatically hits you 19 times a second. I can live with the mage spell stealing as most of them are too oblivious to the fact that we can steal the buff back. I don't think I've ever seen a frost mage run a /cancelaura or manually remove the buff.

In either case, I think the bigger problem here is purging in general. I remember a time prior to Cataclysm when Blizzard promised that cleansing/purging would be completely revamped so that it would be a burden to continually spam. Look where that's taken us! I don't know about the rest of you but, I think I would have to use Time Warp to run out of mana hitting Spellsteal.

I like the idea of Invocation in a battleground setting. It's still a bit weak to me though because the fights are always on the move and finding an opportunity to slip out for 5 seconds is rather difficult. Being reactive to what is happening is more my style.
Reply Quote
5 Human Paladin
Dwarven mage.. sigh I see human is once again the OP race for pvp.
Reply Quote
yeah humans can get almost 5% more pvp power with that extra trinket... so much for blizzard claiming they were going to address this problem. but hey! i get more crit % with my pvp trinket! yay!
Reply Quote
You make me moist, Bloobungle.
Edited by Insanity on 10/17/2012 11:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Eagerly awaiting Bloo's reaction to the 5.1 pyro change.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
Current proposed 5.1 changes on PTR

1. A new Minor Glyph has been added: Discreet Magic. This glyph prevents Nether Tempest, Living Bomb, Frost Bomb, Arcane Barrage, and Inferno Blast from affecting targets more than 5 yards away from the primary target.
    Sweet!

2. Water Elemental New Pet Ability: Water Jet. Water Jet channels a jet of frigid water at the target, dealing Frost damage over 4 seconds. Frostbolts cast by the pet's owner that hit the target while it is being blasted with icy water will grant a charge of Fingers of Frost. This ability has a 24 sec cooldown (shared with Freeze) and a 1 second cast time.
    What is this nonsense? I assume frost mages in PVE need some sort of tweak to obtain more fingers of frost?

3. Mage Armor now reduces the duration of harmful Magic effects by 25% (was 35%).
    Bring on the CC train! See what I care. I can't play my character most of the time anyways. Even more so when I chunk 60% of my HP to certain abilities.

4. The damage absorbed by Ice Barrier has been reduced by 25%.
    Sucka's! As if that even matters. The shield is either purged or broken within seconds. Blazing Speed for life!

5. Pyroblast now has a 3 second cooldown. This cooldown is reduced by spell haste.
    Riding my bicycle from New York to wherever Blizzard is located to punch someone in the teeth.

6. Ring of Frost and Deep Freeze now have a 45 second cooldown (was 30 seconds).
    Gross. I guess we have more time to setup the kill when Deep Freeze is back? Oh wait, refer back to #5. I'm also going to kick that person in the teeth. That is a poor way to address burst. The Ring of Frost thing I can understand. Accepted and approved.

7. Combustion's periodic damage is now based only on the current Ignite, instead of both Ignite and Pyroblast. Damage has been increased to bring it up to approximately the same level as before.
    Makes PvP Combustion a little more easier to use. I'm cool with that. I'll still be using it after a Pyroblast crit anyways. In all honesty, I wish I could use Glyph of Combustion and use it to help burst. The DoT effect is quite horrible.

8. Blazing Speed may now be triggered after recieving damage in any amount.
    Cha-Ching! Please reduce the cooldown a bit though. How about 20? I'll take 20.

9. The mana cost of Spellsteal has been increased to 21% of base mana (was 7%).
    GOOD. DO THIS TO OTHER CLASSES TOO. HOLY BANANAS WHAT TOOK SO LONG.

10. Fixed an issue with Glyph of Icy Veins that could prevent all three bolts from firing.
11. Fixed an issue with Glyph of Icy Veins that could prevent the affected abilities from doing the correct damage.
    You think I got where I am today dressing like Peter Pan over here? FORGET ABOUT IT
Edited by Bloobungle on 10/18/2012 9:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
midnight munchies misclick
Edited by Bloobungle on 10/18/2012 9:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
5. Pyroblast now has a 3 second cooldown. This cooldown is reduced by spell haste.

Riding my bicycle from New York to wherever Blizzard is located to punch someone in the teeth.

^ i feel the same way

i really don't understand this change...it's really hard as it is to get double hotstreaks and plus, dude...it gets dispel off easy, makes me sick. it feels like a pve change...i just...can't...figure...it...out

i complain about it in my guild chat to get others opinion about it and all i get is "shut up mage"
Edited by Sifting on 10/18/2012 11:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]