[BUG] Monochrome Flag Crashes WoW

6 Undead Mage
If fonts have the "MONOCHROME" flag set via the SetFont function, WoW crashes when attempting to display them. The following sample code easily reproduces the issue:

local f = CreateFrame("Frame", nil, UIParent)
f:SetPoint("CENTER")
f:SetWidth(1)
f:SetHeight(1)

local fs = f:CreateFontString(nil, "ARTWORK", MasterFont)
fs:SetFont("Fonts\\FRIZQT__.TTF", 26, "MONOCHROME")
fs:SetPoint("CENTER")
fs:SetText("boom!")

Note that if you change the "MONOCHROME" to another flag such as "THICK" the crash does not occur.

I have verified this happens on both DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 using two different Nvidia graphics adapters (GTX 550 TI and a 9600 GT) with the latest Nvidia drivers. It's possible it happens on all video cards such as ATI as well since multiple people are seeing this issue when using fonts with the MONOCHROME flag set.
Reply Quote
6 Undead Mage
To add more information, this appears to be a null pointer deref. Here is some information from the crash:

This application has encountered a critical error:

ERROR #132 (0x85100084) Fatal exception!

ProcessID: 5140
Exception: 0xC0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 001B:00000000

The instruction at "0x00000000" referenced memory at "0x00000000".
The memory could not be "read".

WoWBuild: 16016
Version: 5.0.4
Type: WoW
Platform: X86
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I get no WoWError crash, no LUA error, just "World of Warcraft has stopped responding" through the Windows shell.

Windows 7 x64
NVidia GTX 560
Intel Q9550 2.83ghz quad-core
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
I have a 5770 Radeon 1GB graphics card, and an i5 750 Intel processor or something of the sort.

Not sure what version of driver I'm currently using, but I can tell you that with MSBT installed, as soon as I enter combat or even attempt to tool around with font settings, I get crashed out of the game with a Windows report message that says "World of Warcraft (Retail) has stopped working".

I would like to see some sort of official response to this, so I know that progress is being made towards being able to use my favorite addon and settings again.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
Temporary fixes etc

If you are currently having an issue with MSBT or anything monochrome font-related, just delete your WTF or the proper files within the account and settings folders to reset the data.

And then just don't pick monochrome font til stuff is fixed.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Necro_ing because this is still happening on my client:

/run UIParent:CreateFontString("t","OVERLAY") t:SetPoint("CENTER") t:SetFont("Fonts\\FRIZQT__.TTF", 20, "MONOCHROME") t:SetText("Hello World")
Edited by Dluffy on 3/4/2013 9:24 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]