Get Spell Off of Cursor?

100 Tauren Druid
Is there any way in a macro to cancel the blue glowy hand you get when you cast a spell without a target? It seems that with 5.0, some actions that used to do nothing but cause an invalid target error (this is happening to me with Swiftmend) are now putting the spell on my cursor, meaning I have to manually get rid of it by pressing Esc, or right clicking, or left clicking someone who is a valid target. I can't even just use my regular keybind on someone else.

I'd love to discover that there is a /cancelblueglowyhand slash command that I just haven't thought of. Or maybe this change is actually caused by some new option?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I think (not 100% on this) people get around the blue hand (like with weapon enchants) by doing

/cast [@none] spell
Edited by Sedivy on 8/31/2012 7:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
I think (not 100% on this) people get around the blue hand (like with weapon enchants) by doing

/cast [@none] spell

[@none] actually forces the spell to bring up the blue hand instead of casting on a unit. There's no built-in slash command for this, but it can easily be done using an invisible secure action button.

If you want an all-macro solution, use this in a macro:/run if not InCombatLockdown()then SB=SB or CreateFrame("Button","SB",nil,"SecureActionButtonTemplate")SB:SetAttribute("type","stop")end
/click SB

You need to run this macro at least once out of combat to create the button, then you can safely use it in combat.

If you'd prefer to have the support code in an AddOn, copy/paste the code blocks below into their own empty text documents and save them with the specified name/extension (capitalisation is important). Make sure you don't save them as .txt files. Once you have both files, move them to a new folder called SpellStopTargetingButton in your Interface\AddOns\ folder.

You can use /click SpellStopTargetingButton in a macro with this AddOn enabled to cancel the blue hand.

SpellStopTargetingButton.toc## Interface: 50001
## Title: SpellStopTargeting Button
## Version: 1.0
## Author: Choonster
## Notes: Cancels the "blue hand" cursor when you use "/click SpellStopTargetingButton" in a macro.

core.lua

core.lualocal b = CreateFrame("Button", "SpellStopTargetingButton", UIParent, "SecureActionButtonTemplate")
b:SetAttribute("type", "stop")
Edited by Choonster on 8/31/2012 7:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Ah figures I got it wrong.
This is actually really really cool:

You can use /click SpellStopTargetingButton in a macro with this AddOn enabled to cancel the blue hand.

As I often get blue hand if target dies mid-cast of my Bind Heal and Esc is too far away and brings up the menu I got to get rid of then. Or I accidentally start casting it on me and get it.
Definitely doing this on at least that spell.
Can I incorporate it after

/cast Bind Heal
/click SpellStopTargetingButton

for auto cancelling blue hand if it happens or will that mess up the cast if I don't put it on a separate button?
Edited by Sedivy on 8/31/2012 7:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Wow thanks! I'm experienced with making addons, just never messed with any secure stuff since it always seemed too restricted to be worth learning.

This was annoying me so much last night I was almost ready to just decide to tank in MoP instead of heal! This is a relief.

Edit: And it works beautifully.
Edited by Navlevar on 8/31/2012 7:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
Can I incorporate it after

/cast Bind Heal

for auto cancelling blue hand if it happens or will that mess up the cast if I don't put it on a separate button?

You should be able to do that.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Awesome ty much, trying this out tonight :)
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Is there a macro that will correct this for Power Word Shield? Specifically when using Clique.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
After making the addon, just include
into your desired macro and should work fine.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
ORRRRRRR

#showtooltip Swiftmend
/cast [@mouseover,help,nodead] Swiftmend etc etc blah blah spell stuff
/use 1

fixed
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
That doesn't always work, I've tried. This has less chance of failure.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
Is this downloadable anywhere as an addon?

If not, I would like to toss this up on Curse so my guildmates can download it. may I have your permission Choonster?

I'll put it up myself if there's a demand for it.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
Is this downloadable anywhere as an addon?

If not, I would like to toss this up on Curse so my guildmates can download it. may I have your permission Choonster?

I'll put it up myself if there's a demand for it.

It's now up on both sites, pending approval.

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info21638-SpellStopTargetingButton.html
http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/spellstoptargeting-button/
http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/spellstoptargeting-button
Reply Quote
62 Gnome Priest
There's no built-in slash command for this, but it can easily be done using an invisible secure action button.

If you want an all-macro solution, use this in a macro:

You, sir, deserve a sainthood for posting this! Thank you very much.
Reply Quote
70 Undead Priest
This fixed things perfectly, i don't have to hit esc when healing other and my pw: shield caused the blue borders. I still have a problem when casting shield on myself, casting again, getting blue border - at this point i still need to esc if i want to cast another spell on myself via alt selfcast. Is there a way to fix this?
Reply Quote
62 Gnome Priest
09/22/2012 12:35 AMPosted by Easyfrag
This fixed things perfectly, i don't have to hit esc when healing other and my pw: shield caused the blue borders. I still have a problem when casting shield on myself, casting again, getting blue border - at this point i still need to esc if i want to cast another spell on myself via alt selfcast. Is there a way to fix this?

Casting the shield on myself, and then trying to cast again was exactly how I tested whether this worked -- and I didn't get the blue borders. I basically just added the two lines suggested by Choonster to the end of all my shielding macros. And I make sure NOT to use the shield without having a macro containing those lines. I've only been in a couple of pvp bgs since making this change, but the blue lines have never come up.

The macro I used for self casting is:
/cast [target=player] power word: shield
/run if not InCombatLockdown()then SB=SB or CreateFrame("Button","SB",nil,"SecureActionButtonTemplate")SB:SetAttribute("type","stop")end
/click SB
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
A small update: Patch 5.1 has added a new (and undocumented) /stopspelltarget command that's functionally identical to this AddOn. This means the AddOn is now redundant and you can replace the /run if not ... /click SB and /click SpellStopTargetingButton lines with /stopspelltarget in all of your macros.

The new command also accepts macro conditionals. My /click version did as well, but I didn't publicise this.
Edited by Choonster on 12/11/2012 11:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Ahhhh ty kindly for the info. I was still running the addon.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]