Prot Warriors - Initial Thoughts

90 Night Elf Warrior
First of all I would like to say I love the changes for the most part. I think this is a step in the right direction for tanking in general. The feel and play of prot warriors in this patch is much more interesting and engaging. I have been playing a prot warrior since very early classic and I can honestly say this is the most fun I've had in a long time.

If I were to offer any suggestions I will say that AoE does feel a little off in situations like Heroic Spine where we are picking up a constant flow of new adds. It is still very doable but I think it can be improved slightly. Even something as simple as changing Glyph of Resonating Power to instead allow our next cleave to hit all enemies within say 5 or 10 yards of our target following a thunder clap. I think that would be a nice quality of life boost in those dire situations where we are having to constantly pick up multiple new adds.

Either way I support the changes and I'm very excited for Pandaria. Big thumbs up from me!
Edited by Billet on 8/31/2012 10:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
I have the opposite opinion of the warrior changes. I find the complete lack of offensive ability resource use completely unengaging, and the "Pool to 60, press shield block/barrier" gameplay to be the most slow paced and uninteresting mechanic of any class I've played in this game.

I agree that something to fill the rotation on true AoE also feels necessary, and I also believe that the revenge CD reset mechanic needs to be rethought because it makes warriors excessively strong on 3 target cleave tanking if the mobs melee.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
08/31/2012 10:33 AMPosted by Dellingr
I agree that something to fill the rotation on true AoE also feels necessary, and I also believe that the revenge CD reset mechanic needs to be rethought because it makes warriors excessively strong on 3 target cleave tanking if the mobs melee.

I honestly do wonder what goes through the Devs' heads when they say "Hey, you know how Warrior AoE can be buffed? Destroy any reason why Protection would use Cleave outside of Ultimatum procs on content that hurts, and make Revenge hit one more thing."

I mean, we can still do the job and everything...but seriously?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
I find myself getting tons of Ultimatum procs which allow for the free hs/cleave, sure its not lul HS spam like before but where was the fun in that?

I do agree that an slight increase in rage gen from shield slam or a slight decrease in rage cost on shield block may feel a bit smoother. At the same time they don't want us having a massive uptime on shield block so I don't think a change in that department is needed.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Gotta agree with Dell too there. I wish I knew why they thought the rage-bucket was an awesome thing to do with rage. It works well for fury, but for prot, it just feels slow-paced and awkward.
-----
Combat tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
08/31/2012 10:52 AMPosted by Waniou
Gotta agree with Dell too there. I wish I knew why they thought the rage-bucket was an awesome thing to do with rage. It works well for fury, but for prot, it just feels slow-paced and awkward.

Yes, this. Rage gen feels painfully slow for me. I want to hit my new shiny active mitigation ability(s) but I can not because it takes a good 12-15 seconds to get there. I also feel unhappy and a bit punished if I let shield slam or revenge sit on cd for even one second once usable. As they are the only abilities that generate any rage missing or delaying them makes rage gen feel all that much slower. I really wish white damage would provide some amount of rage, it feels kind of sad when in between shield slam and revenge dev spamming and your rage bar doesn't move. Feels like I am wasting time hitting dev if it does not proc an S&B and does not contribute to our survivability unless it does.

Pooling resources such as a fury warrior does to dish out some major damage a bit latter, is a lot more of a noticeable result than hitting shield barrier and see it go away in a sec or shield block and the big numbers hitting you shrink for 6 seconds. Not that I do not find these abilities fun. I do like how they function. I Just feel we have a disproportionate result from our pooling of slow generated resources for minor effects. Unlike a fury warrior who's resources are generated and spent at a much faster rate for more obvious result. I miss the fast and furious game play of prot before, though I do like having control of my rage I want to generate and spend it faster.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
08/31/2012 10:33 AMPosted by Dellingr
I find the complete lack of offensive ability resource use completely unengaging, and the "Pool to 60, press shield block/barrier" gameplay to be the most slow paced and uninteresting mechanic of any class I've played in this game.

Bingo.

I've basically shelved my prot warrior, because warrior tanking is booooooooooooooriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing. I'm rage starved most of the time. I don't get to spam heroic strike/cleave, so my AoE threat is garbage. I can't hit my defensive cooldowns (shield block/enraged regen) when I need them, I need to wait 3-4 globals. And all my abilities have one flat 5% crit chance, so I have no excited OOMPH when I get a nice shield slam crit.

I've played more engaging flash games.
Reply Quote
73 Draenei Warrior
I have been having a great time with the new setup.

I have been playing with the rules of maneuver warfare trying out various setups and possible threat scenario tactic structures that maximize the speed of the instances. Doing the happy dance now that rend thunderclap is not the obvious simple answer.

That and using tools invented for fighter jet combat makes me feel extra special.

Observe Orient Decide Act Repeat.

Yeaaaa
Thank you John Boyd

08/31/2012 10:52 AMPosted by Waniou

I agree, the rage bucket feels bulky and cumbersome. How can you pretend that Maneuver Warefare is applicable with something that is bulky and cumbersome? -meh still having fun.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
i dont like the way it feels when i hit cleave without a proc, i feel like well i was almost able to hit my shield block but i went and cleaved instead oh well maybe next pull,
Reply Quote
My feelings are very similar.

There used to be a "play" in a prot warrior's Rage - a balance between how you gained it and how you spent it.

There's no play left - you gain Rage slowly, and spent it in big rushes. And spending it isn't even fun.

For all I know, theorycrafters may have mathed out whether Shield Block or Shield Barrier button is mathematically worthwhile, but ignoring the math, the buttons don't seem to be fun. Nothing really happens when I press the button, no pop, no flash, just a little click sound, and all my Rage is gone for nothing.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I too am annoyed with what they did to Warriors. I leveled this warrior up and now at 80, I feel stuck because I am trying to run some 5 mans and I cant hold AoE aggro very well anymore because of procs being needed.

The removal of the glyphs for Shockwave, Thunder Clap, and Cleaving are also making it hard to AoE tank as effectively.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
I have a warrior, DK and druid tank. I thought the druid tank would be the problem but its the warrior that seems to be broken.

Even with reforging to expertise dodge cap and almost to the hit cap its hard to generate any rage and hard to hold aggro and hard to survive.

Compared to my DK and Druid my dps is also horrible which probably accounts for a lot of the difficulty in holding aggro.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
I was recently tanking ICC on my warrior (retraining warrior tanking). Revenge was literally lighting up faster than I could use it. That was kind of hilarious.

However, offensively I felt nearly powerless. Not because I was (in fact, I quickly discovered that the deepwounds + thunderclap was actually damn near killing LDW's adds all on its own...was very shocked), but because I was pressing so few buttons. Effectively 1/2 of the "doing stuff" time was removed since HS and Cleave all but completely disappearing from my bar.

I miss the more active and aggressive tanking. Ultimatum in its current form just isn't enough. It needs to trigger from Shield Slam, Revenge, Devastate and Deepwound ticks. Slightly reduced proc rate (maybe 20-25% give or take), but from more things. I'd like for the average reuse time on them to be roughly the every 3-4 seconds we've all been accustomed to.

I mean, if they're worried we're just going to be spamming them to hell and back again, it DOES have a 3 second CD...

I'd also like for it to have a 100% proc rate chance from Charge. Charge = free cleave or heroic strike. Always.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
For all the people crying about the changes....

Stop spamming hs/cleave outside of Ultimatum procs and rage gen is completely fine.

As for threat, AoE threat is a bit off as I said in the original post but if you use Heroic Leap and Shockwave/Dragons Roar effectively you can get around that.

Single target is more than fine so if you are having issues with single target threat you are doing something completely wrong.
Reply Quote
08/31/2012 02:57 PMPosted by Billet
Stop spamming hs/cleave outside of Ultimatum procs and rage gen is completely fine.

I don't want "fine".

I want "fun".
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
08/31/2012 03:08 PMPosted by Inushi

I don't want "fine".

I want "fun".

Spamming a button without putting any thought into it is fun?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Seems very love it or hate it. Man I wish I could play...just a few more days!
Reply Quote
2 Troll Shaman
Warrior tanking is terrible atm. Warrior is shelved until such a time as they fix rage generation.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Frenetic gameplay with fast paced resource management (No, you didn't always press Heroic Strike if you were paying attention) was what drew me to the class. The current implementation has neither.
Reply Quote
08/31/2012 06:48 PMPosted by Dellingr
Frenetic gameplay with fast paced resource management (No, you didn't always press Heroic Strike if you were paying attention) was what drew me to the class. The current implementation has neither.

Yes, I share this feeling. Warrior was a class where you were balancing Rage intake against Rage expenditure on a move-by-move basis.

In the new design, you don't get to make those decisions. Instead you decide "have I banked enough Rage for one or two Shield Blocks". The rest of our abilities are metered out with cooldowns, where you just press the button as soon as it lights up.

Dissatisfaction with cooldown-focused rotations is the reason I swapped from Pally to Warrior (at the start of the LK pally redesign, remember the 969 rotation).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]