The 5.1 Feral DPS Guide

90 Night Elf Druid
I'm loving Heart of the Wild for dps at the moment. While I was initially saving the cooldown for if I needed to help tank or heal, I found the dps increase from just spamming wrath is quite high, especially during bloodlust/heroism.

Currently in my gear the highest hit I've seen with wrath is ~250k crit. I haven't done any reforging to my gear yet because I'm lazy, but I'm considering prioritizing haste and crit over mastery simply because of the 45 seconds of wrath spam.

And then during aoe pulls... managed to get lucky getting into a group for Salyis's Warband world boss group last week and when all the adds spawned during it, HotW + hurricane saw my damage skyrocket beyond everyone elses. I can't recall any of the actual numbers, all I remember was it was awesome!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

Level 30: Nature’s Swiftness. Nature’s Swiftness gives you an on-demand instant heal/rez, similar to Predatory Swiftness. (if you have PS up and use NS, the next cast will consume both buffs- beware!)

Not sure if this has been said yet but I guess they fixed this. I was testing it and if you have PS up and use NS your next cast will consume NS only and you will have a PS still.
Edited by Deluzion on 10/9/2012 8:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/05/2012 02:35 PMPosted by Dagglet
It also uses two long (comparatively) cd's for a similar effect to simply waiting the ~65-70s required for 2x NS HT. Of course, if you need the health NOW, it would be better...but I feel it'd be better to utilize CDs better than that.

When looking at the two options for a quick emergency heal, I think I'd rather a larger heal at a slightly longer CD. If you're just after a HT then you can do that every time you land a 5cp finisher - using NS is exactly the same thing but it heals a bit more and more on demand. I can't see many options during a raid where will need an emergency heal more than every 3 minutes (as in if you don't heal yourself you will die). Regular healing is not what we're about or we'd be healers. I think a single large heal that you can use maybe twice a fight is more beneficial than a bunch of average heals which you can do similarly with your instant cast procs, and which have to crit to be significant anyway.
Anyway, my point was more to express that Renewal should be considered a spec option if you use it correctly. Quick tests show me that Renewal + Might of Ursoc heals for about 150k+ (+100k from Might of Ursoc itself, I'm not sure if this is intended as it persists back into cat form), but yes, NS *crits* will heal for about 160k+. In an OH CRAP situation, I'd rather have a single large heal that will leave me in near full health when I go back to cat form then rely on critting with HT.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
@Alarron,

When you get a chance, I recommend adding these macros* somewhere in your guide:

NS+HT macro - expect to hit it twice in a row due to a known Blizzard bug
#show
/console autounshift 0
/cast Nature's Swiftness
/cast Healing Touch
/console autounshift 1

HT macro - it won't shift you out of cat form and simply won't cast HT unless either NS or PS are up. Note: it will allow you to cast HT if you are not in a stance.
#show
/console autounshift 0
/cast Healing Touch
/console autounshift 1

I think more people ask for a macro that will not shift them out of cat form while casting HT than any other question.

* or any of the more complex versions...
Note: I don't recall who contributed this solution, but thanks to whoever that was - it works great.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm trying to improve my DPS when I go instancing with my husband, so I was wondering how most of you start a fight.

I have Savage Roar glyphed, so I generally click that as I engage a single target encounter, then open with Ravage (or Shred if stealth isn't feasible), Shred again if possible, then Tiger's Roar...but what do I do with those initial four or five combo points? Should I extend SR or do a Rip?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm trying to improve my DPS when I go instancing with my husband, so I was wondering how most of you start a fight.

I have Savage Roar glyphed, so I generally click that as I engage a single target encounter, then open with Ravage (or Shred if stealth isn't feasible), Shred again if possible, then Tiger's Roar...but what do I do with those initial four or five combo points? Should I extend SR or do a Rip?

You should try to get Rip up as soon as possible. W/ TF in the opener is should be easy to get up a full 5point rip + a 2-3 (maybe 4) point SR and then manage your energy/CP from there.

You want to aim for 90%+ Rip up time, at all times.

If you're having energy issues try taking SOTF over FOC, makes the rotation much smoother.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

Always use rake before you shred and get a 5cp rip up first. you should have time after that to get a few cp's and extend SR after that.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Can anyone direct me towards an explanation of the DoC rotation please? I can't seem to find a nice 'How to' of it. Thanks :)
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid

I prefer Feline Swiftness over Wild Charge, so on a pull as tank goes in I; Savage Roar, Faerie Fire, (by now I'm at boss) Mangle, Rake, Savage Roar, Tiger's Fury, Berzerk, Shred to 5 combo points, Rip, Rake (to refresh since Tiger's Fury should still be up), Shred to 5 combo points Ferocious Bite. That is my opener, from there its just a matter of keeping Savage Roar up and refreshing Rip when need be. Usually after the Ferocious Bite, Rip is a about to fall off and Tiger's Fury is comming off CD, I like to line those up when ever possible and if possible get a TF affected Rake on target too. Rake ticks are awesome atm.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

I prefer Feline Swiftness over Wild Charge, so on a pull as tank goes in I; Savage Roar, Faerie Fire, (by now I'm at boss) Mangle, Rake, Savage Roar, Tiger's Fury, Berzerk, Shred to 5 combo points, Rip, Rake (to refresh since Tiger's Fury should still be up), Shred to 5 combo points Ferocious Bite. That is my opener, from there its just a matter of keeping Savage Roar up and refreshing Rip when need be. Usually after the Ferocious Bite, Rip is a about to fall off and Tiger's Fury is comming off CD, I like to line those up when ever possible and if possible get a TF affected Rake on target too. Rake ticks are awesome atm.

Not sure why you mangle in your opener. The bleed debuff is gone.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Probably because mangle does the exact same damage as shred when there's no bleeds on the target and costs 5 less energy.

I don't know if the starting rotation is similar to Cataclysm, but I spam mangle to get rid of energy at the start so I can Tiger's Fury a rake and rip easily.
Edited by Zulu on 10/20/2012 5:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

It's also hard to stop when you've had years of muscle memory to always start with a mangle :-\ I also still find myself hitting ravage every now and again after a charge.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

It's also hard to stop when you've had years of muscle memory to always start with a mangle :-\ I also still find myself hitting ravage every now and again after a charge.

I'll agree with the habit of hitting it in your opener, I sometimes even catch myself hitting it too. But you shouldn't be using it on purpose in your opener.

Probably because mangle does the exact same damage as shred when there's no bleeds on the target and costs 5 less energy.

Rake is a bleed, no? Open with Rake and Shred.
Edited by Help on 11/2/2012 3:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Curses! Too many druids are starting to use the t7 transmog now..
Edited by Ursamajor on 11/3/2012 7:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
11/03/2012 07:54 AMPosted by Ursamajor
Curses! Too many druids are starting to use the t7 transmog now..

I've had this set for years ;P
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
On boss fights should Thrash be used in the rotation?

Last night I met a feral who has a thrash rotation and he was pulling 120k dps on 25 man Elegon and I was in the 80's which was really amazing considering he was in all blues.

I am not use to using that in a rotation and the guy logged so I couldn't find out more info, I tried doing it myself on a heroic training dummy with subpar results.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
What is the preferred secondary stat order?

I saw in a section where it said they are all close but didn't see a clear winner. Any advice?
Edited by Kittybuns on 11/5/2012 9:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Hit/Exp (If you want, my personal suggestion is to cap them) > Mastery > Crit > Haste
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I was just curious as to what my rotation I should be using and also, I know it's kinda difficult, but with looking at my gear, how much dps should I be doing with my current gear? I only respeced from Guardian to Feral today and prior to this, I haven't been feral for years.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]