The 5.1 Feral DPS Guide

90 Worgen Druid
In need of more dps and not comfortable enough with DoC and mechanics to switch over yet. I don't think it's terrible for my ilvl (using tokens on horridon every week) but I'd like see more. Is the LFR rune of origination an option for me to net more dps then the shado-pan agility trinket?

Used correctly RoR gets better and better as your gear gets better (scales directly with your gear). However RoR is harder to use because of the reforging involved and the shorter duration of the buff. The Shado-Pan trinket isn't bad by any means, but just isn't as good as RoR used correctly in normal+ gear. So it's up to you on how well you track trinket procs and react to them.
Edited by Dysheki on 6/12/2013 5:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
06/12/2013 05:58 AMPosted by Dysheki
In need of more dps and not comfortable enough with DoC and mechanics to switch over yet. I don't think it's terrible for my ilvl (using tokens on horridon every week) but I'd like see more. Is the LFR rune of origination an option for me to net more dps then the shado-pan agility trinket?

Used correctly RoR gets better and better as your gear gets better (scales directly with your gear). However RoR is harder to use because of the reforging involved and the shorter duration of the buff. The Shado-Pan trinket isn't bad by any means, but just isn't as good as RoR used correctly in normal+ gear. So it's up to you on how well you track trinket procs and react to them.

I use WA to track trinket procs and always refresh rake/rip asap (refreshing at least rake at the end of the duration for max bleed crits) and try my best not to clip it early. It gives me a nice boost usually in the start of the fight where i can hit 160k or higher and then i just fall like a bag of rocks (esp on meg, but that's a 10m with no lock/rogue switching thing). I don't think there's really anything I can do about that?

I guess my only means of getting better n' more consistent dmg is gear? Right now i'm lucky to keep above 100k on meg without berzerk. I sit at like 95k usually.

Also for council style fights, i usually just do my single target rotation and then pop thrash when i have 3 or more of them around. Should I be trying to juggle rip/rake bleeds on them?
Edited by Naoyuki on 6/12/2013 3:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Okay so I got the LFR variant of RoR and am using it w/ hotw. I am able to refresh rake/rip so there's no problem with using it, but I am pretty much sitting at the same sustained dps on a target dummy (100-130k). The shado-pan trinket still gives me more burst in at the start, I feel.

Basically, am I doing it right? In terms of stats (i used ask mr robot, my haste is still low in comparison to crit/mastery, if that matters?).

I just got it, so maybe I need to give it more time. Or is the only perk to having RoR is that it just scales better with new gear and better wait till later?
Edited by Naoyuki on 6/18/2013 2:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Okay so I got the LFR variant of RoR and am using it w/ hotw. I am able to refresh rake/rip so there's no problem with using it, but I am pretty much sitting at the same sustained dps on a target dummy (100-130k). The shado-pan trinket still gives me more burst in at the start, I feel.

Basically, am I doing it right? In terms of stats (i used ask mr robot, my haste is still low in comparison to crit/mastery, if that matters?).

I just got it, so maybe I need to give it more time. Or is the only perk to having RoR is that it just scales better with new gear and better wait till later?

To take full benefit of RoR you need to align your stats as close to 1:1:1 as possible with mastery being the highest (you can gain thousands of points in mastery during the proc by doing this). Edgy has an amazing program to do this for you:

http://www.fluiddruid.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4574

And yes, RoR does scale very well with gear so it is possible you might not get the bump in DPS that you would have hoped to see.

This is just a very simple example but lets say you have these stats:

Mastery - 7,000
Crit - 5,000
Haste - 3,000

Right now with your RoR proc you would have 23,000 mastery with a proc. Calculated by: (5,000 + 3,000) * 2 + 7,000.

If you optimize your secondary stats to be something like:

Mastery: 5,001
Crit: 5,000
Haste: 4,999

Your RoR proc would give you ~25,000 mastery. Calculated by: (5,000 + 4,999) * 2 + 5,001.

The higher your gear item level is the greater the mastery proc.
Edited by Dysheki on 6/20/2013 8:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
To show you how much better the proc can be my stats are:

Mastery - 7,246
Haste - 7,177
Crit - 7,202

(7,177 + 7,202) * 2 + 7,246 = 36,004

If my stats weren't optimized and instead focused on mastery being on top:

Mastery - 12,000
Crit - 5,000
Haste - 4,625

My proc would only be: 31,250 (a 13% drop from the original number).

It's all about maximizing that proc and getting the most out of that tiny window you have available to you.
Reply Quote
80 Human Death Knight
My favorite guide on the internet. Excellently worded, it isn't too complexly worded, so a relative newbie like me can follow it, but not so simple I don't learn anything. I wish more were like this.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I finally got RoR I want to know if my reforge/gemming is correct, because it has me 1% short on hit.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I finally got RoR I want to know if my reforge/gemming is correct, because it has me 1% short on hit.

7.5% is the hit cap. Looks perfect to me.

Exactly 2550 for hit, just a bit over for expertise, 7139 for mastery, 7132 for haste, 7138 for crit. Can't get much better.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Ok, also do u unequip the trinket then equip it before a fight starts? or not
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Am I correct in saying Rip updates it's damage based on AP, buffs, etc when I refresh it before it runs out with either a new Rip@>25% or FB@<25%?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Abilities are snapshotted, not updated per tick when applied. When refreshing Rip with a FB, it's not 'updated' with current buffs/procs.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Ok, also do u unequip the trinket then equip it before a fight starts? or not

No, I do not. I cannot think of any advantage to prolonging the first trinket procs (when you equip a trinket the bad streak protection resets and it acts as if it just procced). I want the procs early and often =P
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I have a question again. I'll walk you through it so it's easier to understand.

I open up with:

SR to get the buffed opener.
Shred to 4 CP.
Rake.
Rip.
Tiger's Fury + NV + Berserking.
Shred to 5 CP (renew Rake if needed)
SR.

Now, what happens sometimes is I'll get to 5 CP, and Rip and SR are only halfway through their durations. What do I do? If I don't use either SR or Rip, I'll energy cap. If I FB, Rip and/or SR will drop off. Right now, I just renew which ever has the least time remaining. Is this the correct course of action?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Shred to 4 CP.
Rake.
Rip.
SR.

First of all: you're wasting your TF and NV if you don't use it on your first rip. Second, you should get up a rake ASAP. If you're using . . . . NV as your T6 talent I would imagine my opener would look something like:

Rake, shred until you can't shred anymore, TF + NV + Berserking, if you're at 4 or less CPs rake then use shred to get to 5 and rip - if you're already at 5 CPs use Rip then reapply rake. Then use a thrash. Then continue your berserk spamming routine.

Your SR will likely need refreshed shortly after that.

If you get up rake/rip before you use TF + NV you're wasting the cooldowns and your rake/rip (two of your more damaging spells) will be very weak in comparison to what they could be.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Shred to 4 CP.
Rake.
Rip.
SR.

First of all: you're wasting your TF and NV if you don't use it on your first rip. Second, you should get up a rake ASAP. If you're using . . . . NV as your T6 talent I would imagine my opener would look something like:

Rake, shred until you can't shred anymore, TF + NV + Berserking, if you're at 4 or less CPs rake then use shred to get to 5 and rip - if you're already at 5 CPs use Rip then reapply rake. Then use a thrash. Then continue your berserk spamming routine.

If you get up rake/rip before you use TF + NV you're wasting the cooldowns and your rake/rip (two of your more damaging spells) will be very weak in comparison to what they could be.

Thanks for this! On a side note, should Thrash be something else I try to keep up or only when Berserking?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

Thanks for this! On a side note, should Thrash be something else I try to keep up or only when Berserking?

Try to but don't worry much about it. Rip/SR/rake are more important.
Reply Quote
95 Worgen Druid
Thrash does comparable damage to a 50-energy ferocious bite, though, so generally you should worry about thrashes before you worry about ferocious bites (at least without DoC).
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
which are BiS trinkets I see some feral with Bad Juju instead of Renataki's Soul Charm and of course RoR
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
which are BiS trinkets I see some feral with Bad Juju instead of Renataki's Soul Charm and of course RoR

They're both great, not really a huge difference. I think technically Juju is better average DPS and Renataki's has the better theoretical max (higher variance because of the nature of the proc).
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Druid
Try to but don't worry much about it. Rip/SR/rake are more important.

The Icy Veins guide says nothing about using Thrash for single target, and it says it's updated for 5.3. Is it not actually an up to date feral guide?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]