Mentoring as it goes

90 Worgen Priest
In the first few hours of being the mentoring guild for the alliance on Ravencrest certain questions have been asked of us. Some were quite funny and others outright hostile but some were quite good.

1st people wanted to know if being a mentoring guild is broadcast for new people to see and join or ask question.
Not that I know of but we actively tell people who we are and invite them to join or come to vent or chat to cover what ever questions they may have.

2nd Why is a mentoring guild needed in the first place?
Good question and for me it was easy. So many guilds are what they want to be. They don't really want new members or want to be the ones that bring people along and train them. Nothing bad in this just not what they are in the game for. Our guild has always been a teaching guild. We came into existance in CATA though we were all in guild before that. We learned what we know from doing it on our own, good and bad. With this program others don't need to make the same misteaks we did.

3rd What can be learned from a mentoring guild?
We decieded to do this in three steps. First to cover the world and what there is to do whether it is PVP, quest lines, or dungeons and raids. Second we cover the toon and what it needs and how to get it as well as the importance of professions as they help make the toon better. Third we cover how a guild works from mats to level to working with a guild to get help and give help as needed.

That is the steps we are gonna approach this with and see how it works.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Troll Priest
I has a sad that some people were hostile at all. :/
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I think the mentoring guild idea is a great opportunity for new players. New players generally have a very poor experience trying to find people to group with if they don't know anyone else. As long as the mentor guilds are actually a group of friendly people who love alts or don't mind explaining things to people.

We would have applied, but over the summer our average members online was around 1.

Hopefully Blizzard has outlined what they hope to gain from this program, because just a home to put all the new players in doesn't have an apparent end goal.
Reply Quote
89 Worgen Hunter
So what's everyone doing to cast the net for newbies?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I was very happy to hear that the Covenant - AKA -Guild Mentor Horde (?) was chosen. You guys will do great! I have a hunter who refuses to get past level 21 - can I have a mentor?? :)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid

2nd Why is a mentoring guild needed in the first place?
Good question and for me it was easy. So many guilds are what they want to be. They don't really want new members or want to be the ones that bring people along and train them. Nothing bad in this just not what they are in the game for. Our guild has always been a teaching guild. We came into existance in CATA though we were all in guild before that. We learned what we know from doing it on our own, good and bad. With this program others don't need to make the same misteaks we did.

I'm sorry that people were hostile towards you and your guild. I think it's great that new players will have a friendly (and perhaps somewhat bizarre at times) place to go. But really, the bizarre times are some of the best ones! :D

Personally I think that mentor guilds are needed because there's just SO MUCH in WoW to learn. With faster levelling now, new players will encounter so much more stuff in a shorter period of time than I did when I started five years ago, about 8 or 9 months into BC, before 20-60 levelling was nerfed. For about the first 4-6 months of playing I kept that little game manual that came with classic WoW with me so I could refer to it as needed. I am not sure if the manual was updated or not, but it is still much easier to understand things when you have an actual person to help you out.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Troll Priest
09/01/2012 02:00 PMPosted by Royel
I was very happy to hear that the Covenant - AKA -Guild Mentor Horde (?) was chosen. You guys will do great! I have a hunter who refuses to get past level 21 - can I have a mentor?? :)

What are his reasons for not leveling?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Now that we have been at this a couple days, I have noticed a couple things. First that people have actually come to our guild for lots of reasons other than needing help. Active guild chat being the biggest. Second is that people do actually want help. This has ranged from not knowing how to redo there toons from the latest patch to helping them understand the dungeon finder and direction on how to level with and with out said dungeon finder.

With very little effort Katarida, our guild recruiter can bring 50 toons a day into the guild. Not just low levels but people with 85's and multiple toons just wanting a guild that will work with them.
This program may be a great idea.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
09/02/2012 09:14 AMPosted by Kimbatol
This has ranged from not knowing how to redo there toons

GUILTY.
I weep at the number of characters I like enough to want to continue playing. T_T
Edited by Kroovi on 9/2/2012 11:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]