Living Bomb vs. Nether Tempest vs. Frost Bomb

As a frost spec in PvE, is there any reason that Frost Bomb would be better than the others? It would only make sense, but....

It doesn't seem that any talent makes it so. The Brain Freeze extra effect with Frost Bomb is also shared by Nether Tempest and Living Bomb.

In addition, as frost we no longer have the specialization bonus of extra frost damage. It is just all magic damage.

Does this mean we are taking whichever is better DPS-wise?

As I frost mage, I would like to be using a Frost Bomb. Not any of the others. Perhaps the developers could remove Nether Tempest and Living Bomb from the Brain Freeze passive?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
As a frost spec in PvE, is there any reason that Frost Bomb would be better than the others? It would only make sense, but....

It doesn't seem that any talent makes it so. The Brain Freeze extra effect with Frost Bomb is also shared by Nether Tempest and Living Bomb.

In addition, as frost we no longer have the specialization bonus of extra frost damage. It is just all magic damage.

Does this mean we are taking whichever is better DPS-wise?

As I frost mage, I would like to be using a Frost Bomb. Not any of the others. Perhaps the developers could remove Nether Tempest and Living Bomb from the Brain Freeze passive?

So do it.
Edited by Spicytaco on 8/31/2012 10:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
You're free to use Frost Bomb. This is good.

Removing Brain Freeze from the others would force you to use Frost Bomb whether you wanted to or not. This would be bad.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Mage
You're supposed to be able to do what you want.

Come on man, it's like Footloose. You wanna dance? Just dance. Don't worry about those stodgy old people telling you not to dance.
Reply Quote
It's kind of funny how so many people aren't sure what to do now with these talents (talents in generally, not specifically this tier). I guess it goes to show Blizz really did do a good job of eliminating the cookie cutter builds. Sure some talents are better for certain situations, but all in all everything is preference. The only thing I'll say specifically to this post is that a Frost Bomb going off during a Deep Freeze hits like a truck. But that doesn't really pertain to PVE since most things are immune to Deep Freeze.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
08/31/2012 11:52 AMPosted by Dumbleditz
The only thing I'll say specifically to this post is that a Frost Bomb going off during a Deep Freeze hits like a truck

Very true. But it's play style choice: would you rather be more bursty, or have more sustained damage with nether tempest or living bomb? It's a good system
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
I'm amazed how frost is giving me more dps than any other spec in my 2 year old crap gear.
Reply Quote
So the three are probably extremely balanced it seems.

Burst is nice. Frost bomb it is.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
08/31/2012 12:31 PMPosted by Xiltheria
From what I read Frost bomb has better AOE numbers.....but keep in mind it hasa cast time where the other two don't.

Yeah — I feel that the rotation flows better with the cast time, but it will have a bit of an impact on mobile performance.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
08/31/2012 11:52 AMPosted by Dumbleditz
The only thing I'll say specifically to this post is that a Frost Bomb going off during a Deep Freeze hits like a truck. But that doesn't really pertain to PVE since most things are immune to Deep Freeze.

The same concept can be used in PVE. On a pack of mobs use Frost Bomb on one of them. Just before it explodes, use your pet nova to freeze the entire group. The bomb will benefit from shatter on all of them. Frost "Bomb" really lives up to its name in this scenario!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
08/31/2012 10:38 AMPosted by Bavok
Perhaps the developers could remove Nether Tempest and Living Bomb from the Brain Freeze passive?

WHY
Reply Quote
well i think differently now, because i thought maybe some guy does the math and say nether tempest is the best dps talent choice even for frost. That'd be awkward.

But I guess just going by preference can't hurt anything. However I highly doubt they all do the exact same DPS lol....
Edited by Bavok on 8/31/2012 3:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
For PvE I've definitely come to apprecite a rotation with Frost Bomb. It seems to be the most fluid, but that could just be for me too. Everybody plays different. Try all 3 and see what you like best, OP!
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
08/31/2012 04:20 PMPosted by Lunarlife
Unless there's another mage in the group with it.

Well at least you're open to options!
Reply Quote
I have to admit, Frost bomb is a big part of my damage in arcane spec, With my crap gear, pulling up to 15k dps is kind of a surprise to me.

What i can tell you is, Frost bomb might be one of those "Required" talents in most specs for mages.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
You should feel free to pick whatever bomb you wish to use the most. Blizzard has made them close dps wise so that there would not be a mandatory choice. So far, with 1-3 targets, I have found that Living bomb can yield slightly better damage, but frost bomb is pretty close. with 5+ targets, Frost Bomb will yield the highest dps. I personally prefer frost bomb in all situations, strictly because I like the flow of the cast time.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
It's all about feel. I like frost bomb. I play fire, and theoretically I've heard nether tempest is the best. After a few tests of my own on a single target, Frost Bomb consistently did more damage for me.

It just flows for me. And I'm happy that I get to make a choice as to what I want to use without losing enormous amounts of DPS. Just go with what feels right to you.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
As Fire, I definitely prefer Frost Bomb. It makes keeping Pyromaniac up very easy.

For Frost, I much prefer Nether Tempest as I'm used to the random nature of Frost and like the unpredictable proc rate on Brain Freeze.

To each their own, really.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]