Holy paladins and regen

90 Blood Elf Paladin
With mana being capped and quite a few people having mana issues I thought it would be appropriate to post this (It would also be good if an actual smart person could look over it too because i'm no good at math).

Holy paladins have a passive ability called Holy Insight. It allows 50% of your mana regen from spirit to continue while in combat. We also have a glyph, Illumination, which grats 1% mana when your holy shock crits but you lose 10% return from Holy Insight. I have been trying to figure out whether I should glyph this or not, so (with a lot of help from my bf) this is what we have come up with:

This is going off my un-buffed stats
Having 3870 combat regen, during a 5 minute fight holy insight will tick 60 times giving total of 232,200 regen
(5 mins x 60 seconds = 300 seconds / 5 seconds = 60 ticks * 3870 = 232,200)

Glyphing illumination will reduce combat regen by 387 per 5 giving a total of 208,980 losing 23,220
(5x60 = 300 / 5 = 60 * 3483 = 208,980)

Holy shock will give a return of 1.2k every time it crits (even with illumination glyphed, holy shocks cost is lower then my combat regen per 5). with a 15% crit chance it will crit 7.5 times (round up to 8) giving approx. 9600 return if you have a 15% crit chance (a little RNG based though)
(5x60 = 300 / 6 = 50 * .15 = 8 x 1200 = 9600)

During a 5 minute fight
Without illumination glyph: 232,200 return
With illumination glyph: Approx 218, 580 return

During a 10 minute fight
Without illumination glyph: 464,400 return
With illumination glyph: Approx 437,160 return

Even if your Holy Shock crit 30% of the time (definitely), the return is still lower then (my) combat regen.

I did the same equation to a friend who has much lower ilvl & combat regen and it still wasn't effective and again with a higher geared holy paladin on my server with the same results.

TL;DR - Don't glyph Illumination, it's probably not worth it.

Feedback welcome :)
Edited by Rae on 8/31/2012 1:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I think the point of the glyph is to encourage a lower spirit style if you have decently high crit chance. Thus, measuring how much regen you lose when stacking spirit probably isn't the best way to go about evaluating it.

Its still probably not worth it but if you've got some reason to be running a crazy low spirit amount as a paladin trading it all in for throughput stats then, well, it might have some merit as a glyph when you don't need all that much longevity anyways.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
08/31/2012 01:54 AMPosted by Kitsueie
measuring how much regen you lose when stacking spirit probably isn't the best way to go about evaluating it.

I'm not stacking spirit, and this has been tested with lower ilevel players.

08/31/2012 01:54 AMPosted by Kitsueie
it might have some merit as a glyph when you don't need all that much longevity anyways

Thats def something to look into, I didn't consider any procs during divine plea either
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I'm using it right now to test, mainly, to see if it's even feasible to hit the Holy Shock per Minute requirement to make the glyph usable. I haven't seen it. The math behind the glyph is already pretty poor, and I don't see the glyph being good at all during progression.

Blizz would have to buff it in order to make it more attractive, as of right now it's a loss.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Holy shock has a base 25% chance to crit already built into the spell. You should take this into account during calculations. I believe the math has already been done at http://joeego.wordpress.com/tag/glyph-of-illumination/
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
08/31/2012 10:09 AMPosted by Minelle
Holy shock has a base 25% chance to crit already built into the spell. You should take this into account during calculations. I believe the math has already been done at http://joeego.wordpress.com/tag/glyph-of-illumination/

Thanks excellent post, this is the kind of reply i was hoping for :)

Edit:

From the website:
The most important information shown by this graph is the steeper slope of 50% Holy Insight means the glyph will always be outgeared as we increase our Spirit.

The usefulness of the glyph appears limited to stat ranges seen while leveling and gearing up through 5-man dungeons.
Edited by Rae on 8/31/2012 7:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It also shows potential with an extreme high crit/low spirit build, I really don't see anyone doing that in entry level tier 14 though.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
09/01/2012 02:43 PMPosted by Miskatonic
It also shows potential with an extreme high crit/low spirit build, I really don't see anyone doing that in entry level tier 14 though.

I can see Eloderung trying it. He's always had a sense of adventure and a knack for making odd builds work very well.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Nice post and break down.

I did the math myself and I personally didn't find it was worth it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]