New Talent System

85 Human Rogue
08/31/2012 09:15 PMPosted by Irocain

Lol saying this won't help you. The talent system is a joke now.

Only to those who stubbornly refuse to give it a shot and continue to put outdated systems on a pedestal.

I've been trying it just about every day since patch time in BGs. I'm still not happy with it. Saying it's a joke is hyperbolic, but I still don't think it's as good as what we had pre-Cataclysm.
1 Human Hunter
08/31/2012 09:21 PMPosted by Irocain
The problem isn't change. It's the changes they made.

From the interview someone else posted, Ghostcrawler still thinks the system is fine. He tries to rationalize the system is okay because of certain design decisions, such as for reasons X, Y, and Z, but fails to realize that players dislike the system for A, B, and C. Players don't care about the design problems the developers face.

Ghostcrawler is really out of the touch these days.

As if those touting tbc talent trees as the end all be all of all trees aren't out of touch. Come on.
I have no idea how you got that from what I said. I think it might just be better if I ignore your responses now. Sorry
90 Orc Warlock
OKAY ! I THINK I GOT IT !

Maybe, just maybe...now correct me if I am wrong about this...

What if BLIZZARD is TRYING to make this game so uncomfortably irritating to the masses and giving us this excuse of " easy to learn, hard to master " because of a much bigger situation ?

This game is pretty old (2004). This was a cash cow once I can imagine and I am not one who has access to BLIZZARD's projected earnings for the game since it started. (Earnings per year for each expansion,market revenue for game products and subscriptions, etc...

Well, SOMETHING TERRIBLE HAD TO HAVE HAPPENED FOR SUCH DRASTIC CHANGE !

THE GAME NOT MAKING ENOUGH MONEY ANYMORE ? NEEDED IDEAS AND CHANGES FOR INCREASED REVENUE ONCE AGAIN ???

Either way somewhere in that boardroom someone got strong armed into going against their own gut and took the wad of cash instead of standing up for the game value. ( Or their head of department did, sorry they had to go through that)

"MAKING THESE CHANGES IS NECESSARY !", someone at BLIZZARD must have yelled out.

COULD BLIZZARD HAVE A SECRET PROJECT FOR RELEASE SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE TO REPLACE WORLD OF WARCRAFT ?

It's a valid question, after all, how many titles actually hang in there this long and survive through generations (gaming years) without losing its appeal ? Destroying World of Warcraft could very well entice those who hate the changes to go out and leave what they USED TO LOVE for the highly anticipated "WARCRAFT 4" (you know what I mean). You have got to set up for those kind of things. No one would leave World of Warcraft for Warcraft 4 if they STILL loved World of Warcraft.

NOW THE REAL QUESTION IS ??????????????????????????????

What other game titles are good out there lately since I have not played a damn thing on my PC other than World of Warcraft for the last 6 years ?

Because I will not play the junk that this game has turned into.

In the end we all have our opinions, and nothing will EVER, EVER, EVER be balanced...
I came here to state mine through this constant arguing of GENERATION X vs. GENERATION Y.

P.S.:

I have 10 level 85s

I am posting this on the very first character I created.

Account active since July of 2006...well...not anymore.

( I was being serious about other game suggestions )
Edited by Loctarogar on 8/31/2012 9:33 PM PDT
100 Night Elf Priest
Personally, I think at least Blizzard is interested in what players can share with it about legitimate issues in an articulate manner. Having posters attack those of us trying to take the time to do what it has expressly requested is not helpful. I would not be posting like this if I did not care, and if I did not want MoP and Blizzard and even future xpacs to be successful. I am invested in this game.

As for what was different about my spec, I speced without A/AA and was a powerful tank healer. Otherwise, whether you took haste or faster available shadowfiend in the shadow tree, and whether you took Desperate Prayer and whether you were fully speced into Inspiration, or only partially, were all totally legitimate differences in a discipline priest spec, and at one time or another, in differing gear and/or encounters, I used all.

I would already reforge and even respec for different encounters and/or assignments. HGWT made that very possible, and now it is gone also, seemingly because others think they will have more fun if it is removed and possibly causes us to spend more time in the great outdoors. Thats really great that what Joe wants is so much more important to the company I pay (and almost certainly more than most all those wanting it removed pay) to play like I want to play.

I have a lot of concerns. I am simply making some of them reasonably known. Just as requested by Blizzard.
Edited by Shylena on 8/31/2012 9:33 PM PDT
90 Pandaren Rogue
Overall, I highly enjoy the new talent system and I love it.

It is the talents themselves, depending on the class, that are kinda "meh". Some of the classes have good talent choices. They are interesting, useful, and actually feel like a choice, regardless of spec.

Then you have some which are "yawn" and/or are an obvious pick for your spec, which then don't feel like a choice.

I'll keep the system, but the develops need to take a vacation and come back with some fresh ideas on some of the actual talents.

FYI: I know this post isn't very constructive for any blues that may be reading, since I didn't give any specific explains of "good" vs. "bad".
90 Draenei Shaman
08/31/2012 05:10 PMPosted by Crithto
We don't think it's the right design to have very complicated rules that players struggle to understand. And the truth is that most of our players didn't experiment a lot with the talent trees anyway. They would just go online to check or ask their friends which talents they should choose. So it was hard to learn and easy to master which is kind of the worst game design to have.

And this is what blizzard thinks of it's players. That things like a talent system are too hard for them to understand. wow.
100 Night Elf Druid
[quote]
However, there are some circumstances where wild charge would be a much better talent, for example if you can master setting up shrooms in a desired location and then charging to them or using charge to get you to a stack point faster.

That is absolutely ingenious! I didn't even consider that as an option!
90 Night Elf Hunter
08/31/2012 09:41 PMPosted by Thorrende
We don't think it's the right design to have very complicated rules that players struggle to understand. And the truth is that most of our players didn't experiment a lot with the talent trees anyway. They would just go online to check or ask their friends which talents they should choose. So it was hard to learn and easy to master which is kind of the worst game design to have.

And this is what blizzard thinks of it's players. That things like a talent system are too hard for them to understand. wow.

I don't know where this whole trend of game designers shunning complexity started, but it sure is worry some, not everything needs to be "so easy a caveman can do it".
90 Draenei Shaman
08/31/2012 09:46 PMPosted by Ellisande

I don't know where this whole trend of game designers shunning complexity started, but it sure is worry some, not everything needs to be "so easy a caveman can do it".

I can't imagine that as developers it's satisfying having to design an rpg numbers game around people who can't figure out how wrath talents worked
100 Blood Elf Priest
08/31/2012 09:15 PMPosted by Irocain

Lol saying this won't help you. The talent system is a joke now.

Only to those who stubbornly refuse to give it a shot and continue to put outdated systems on a pedestal.

Again, why is it so hard for you to accept that people have genuinely given it a shot and just don't like it? That's not knocking your preferences or anything.
85 Draenei Shaman
So - are they dumbing down the game or streamlining it? Well, if they didn't have a history of the former, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt perhaps. But over the years, there have been repeated decisions made by the design team that have made the game a brainless exercise in almost all respects. I get making some things less tedious. But they have removed the essence of what an MMO is with their changes.

Difficulty is almost completely gone, and is utterly missing while leveling. Leveling serves no purpose whatsoever. It's just a few day exercise to get to max level. There is almost no point to levels 1-84 - what a terrible waste of a huge world and a ton of instances. CC is pointless. Marking mobs is pointless. Raids are a joke except on heroic.

There are more changes towards simplistic being added in MoP. I appreciate the dungeon challenges though, at any rate. But all in all, I can only take this move as another by Blizzard to dumb the game down to a level that takes absolutely no thought, no skill, no planning. Even if there were cookie cutter specs, many did not do that - you can tell just be looking at a random # of individuals you meet. Many are specced really.. oddly.

In other words, I think as the game ages, they are trying to make it so anyone can play this game and succeed. The wonderful new "everyone wins!" mentality the pervades society now. Everyone gets a ribbon - everyone does great dps.. everyone gets prizes and loot.. no one wipes ever. And now, even a drunk chimp could spec in this game.
Edited by Khanagi on 8/31/2012 10:03 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]