6.1 Fire Mage PvE Guide

(Sticky)

100 Troll Mage
Invocation- This talent is best used for encounters requiring a quick burn of a particular mob or mechanic. However, due to movement/getting interrupted by various mechanics, this talent is dangerous. You must complete the Evocation cast in order to get the damage increase, so if you’re forced to move before the time finishes, or get interrupted, then you completely lose out on the damage bonus.

Invocation also reduces the CD to 10 seconds, so if something goes wrong you can try again soon. The idea is to use it every 40 seconds to keep the damage buff up.

While up for debate, I'd say it's best for fights when surges of damage are more important, although probably not a very good Fire talent overall.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Glyph of Evocation- Causes you to regain 60% of your Health over its duration. Very helpful for self-healing; your healers will thank you. Highly recommended.

This also changes based upon the level 90 talents:
-With the Invocation talent, you instead gain 40% of your health upon completing an Evocation.
-With the Rune of Power talent, you gain 1% of your health per second while standing in your own Rune of Power.
-No change for Incanter's Ward.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Added an Abbreviations list, wrote some General Tips, and expanded the sections pertaining to Mage Bombs and AoE damage.

With the Invocation talent, you instead gain 40% of your health upon completing an Evocation.-With the Rune of Power talent, you gain 1% of your health per second while standing in your own Rune of Power.

Left out the 1% health on purpose, but I should probably put it back in.

09/05/2012 12:30 PMPosted by Mageski
Invocation also reduces the CD to 10 seconds, so if something goes wrong you can try again soon. The idea is to use it every 40 seconds to keep the damage buff up.

Originally I had read the talent as reducing the CD by, not to, 10 seconds. That changes things just a bit! Reworded that particular section.

And Mageski, thanks for the heads up on the 12% and the 1-second GCD bit. Added them in.
Edited by Coopthefat on 9/7/2012 7:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
Thanks for taking the time! I really needed this.
Reply Quote
87 Gnome Mage
Any help with the heroism phase? I just feel as though I can't keep track of my hotstreak procs and force myself to throw a random IB in hopes of getting the proc b4 the next fireball goes off..
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Added information pertaining to Alter Time, added a couple resources, and slightly elaborated on our AoE capabilities.

09/09/2012 05:49 PMPosted by Disock
Any help with the heroism phase? I just feel as though I can't keep track of my hotstreak procs and force myself to throw a random IB in hopes of getting the proc b4 the next fireball goes off..

As far as our priority system is concerned, Heroism doesn't really affect most of our abilities by considerable margins, albeit casting more spells within the same time interval.

Heroism does indeed make it more difficult to fit in IB's in order to proc more Pyroblasts. There really isn't anything you can do to avoid the extra difficulty of keeping track of Heating Up and Pyroblast procs with the increased number of Fireballs flying out.

Interrupting your spells mid-cast in order to use IB's would still be an overall dps loss, although this difference is indeed smaller when under Heroism than the difference without it. However, your dps will still increase substantially from the 30% extra Haste, so it's not something I would really worry about.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
If my fireball is a 1.9 sec cast and there's a 2.5 sec CD left on Frost Bomb, is it worth it to wait that 0.6 seconds for Frost Bomb or start up another Fireball?
Edited by Conceit on 9/11/2012 11:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Usually, it's best to go ahead and cast another Fireball, rather than wait for the CD on Frost Bomb to fall off.

The reason I say this is that, while 0.6 seconds in one instance is insignificance, over the course of a whole fight, that can add up to a significant amount of time you're not spending casting spells, meaning an overall loss in damage.
Edited by Coopthefat on 9/11/2012 4:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Nice guide! Thanks for doing it. I cannot believe this isn't stickied yet.
Reply Quote
2 Human Warlock
Great post, need sticky
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Isn't mastery stat better than haste rating once you pass about 13% haste?
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Isn't mastery stat better than haste rating once you pass about 13% haste?

Under debate. I personally still think Haste is better.

Edit: If you decide to try it, the haste mark is 1734 raid buffed with t13 and Combustion glyph.
Edited by Mageski on 9/13/2012 7:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Hey Mageski,

Thank you for the reply. I just find it very difficult to see the "Heat up" proc to follow up with Inferno Blast once I have a lot of haste rating + Hero, because you are casting fireball so fast. I'm not sure if I'm the only one who have this problem. I wonder if there are macro that could automatically fire Inferno Blast when Heat up is up.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I'm assuming you're talking about right now, as opposed to MoP. That's an interesting thought for MoP, one that can be answered once the simulations are up-to-date. However, it's unlikely that we'll have enough Haste on gear to reach 13% Haste during T14.

Also, edited the guide for basic housecleaning, fixed grammar/spelling, made some sections more concise and brief, and added a couple addons and tips.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Cauterize is now nerfed, only being able to absorb up to twice your health in damage: if you're damaged for more than that, you die. This doesn't change Cauterize's function on the majority of raid bosses, but it does weaken it for mechanics involving a ton of damage, typically some sort of mechanic you'd die from without a major CD, ice block, bubble, etc.

If purely damage mitigation is needed (ie. ice block not working for a particular mechanic), we can choose Invisibility instead of Cauterize, which will reduce damage taken by 90% while invisible.
Edited by Coopthefat on 9/14/2012 6:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Is combust spreadable to nearby targets? If I have LB up on three targets and then I combust, do I inferno blast each time to spread combust or?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Mage
KMA
Thanks for this guide man. I was away when patch 5.0.4 hit and didn't know what was good or not anymore. Allowed me to get my spells/talents/glyphs setup in only 30 mins. Requested sticky.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
09/15/2012 10:15 PMPosted by Herculenis
Is combust spreadable to nearby targets? If I have LB up on three targets and then I combust, do I inferno blast each time to spread combust or?

Yes, Combustion, Living Bomb, and the Pyroblast DoT can all be spread to up to three maximum targets via Inferno Blast, so basically two targets other than the one with the initial DoTs. Once you apply Combustion, no matter what, you should use Inferno Blast to spread the Combustion DoT. You only have to use Inferno Blast once to spread your Combustion to other targets.

Other than that, only use Inferno Blast to spread other DoTs when they appear, or to instantly activate your choice of mage bomb, if AoE is called for.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Added a couple FAQ questions, and added several addons to the addon list. I can't always catch every frequent mage question that is asked on the forums, so feel free to let me know if there's questions commonly asked that can be addressed through this guide!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]