6.1 Fire Mage PvE Guide

(Sticky)

12 Dwarf Hunter
To sum the guide up now, post nerf, the secret to fire dps is to reroll warlock.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Even more nerfs incoming... Check the tweet from GC.

".@Rick97950219 We are concerned that trinket nerfs were not sufficient in curbing mage and warrior burst. Discussing options."

As if cutting of the fun from the spec in PVE was not enough... They will put us to the grave this time.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
12/05/2012 08:16 AMPosted by Draagun
Why is there a Fire Mage PVE guide on this forum? No one uses that broken spec any more.

What is this "Fire Mage" of which you speak?
Reply Quote
Guide updated for the 5.1 hotfixes, so basically Critical Mass being brought up to a multiplier of 1.3, and us spreading DoTs to 3 other targets, so having DoTs on up to 4 maximum targets. I wouldn't recommend Fire on single-target fights unless you're not too concerned about it, and Fire is still good on cleave-like fights.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
there only one guide is http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=226427 too all fire mage
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
I only read the first page this was probably brought up already, but the glyph of combustion increases the duration, cool down, and DIRECT damage of the spell.. it does not affect the resulting DoT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
02/10/2013 07:40 AMPosted by Shadowbro
I only read the first page this was probably brought up already, but the glyph of combustion increases the duration, cool down, and DIRECT damage of the spell.. it does not affect the resulting DoT

You get twice as many ticks. It literally doubles the spell, and in some cases increases DoT damage very slightly because of haste breakpoints. It also is either equal to, or an increase to, the overall uptime of the DoT.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
I had a couple questions that I've run into while I'm trying to gear up my fire mage for raiding.

1. AoE rotation. Should I be re-casting my living bomb on multiple targets or just doing my normal single-target rotation with a flamestrike thrown in every now and then?

What's weird about the aoe rotation for fire mages is that if I start the rotation by casting living bomb and then immediately cast inferno blast to spread that dot, I don't spread a pyroblast dot. Then if Heating up procs, it seems that oftentimes my inferno blast is down. Throughout the rotation, I end up using the inferno blast to proc a pyroblast, but since I just used the inferno blast.........no pyroblast dot gets spread. Am I doing this right?

2. I have the ignite watcher from mage nuggets, and I noticed something. If I proc a pyroblast, time stop, cast the pyroblast, time stop again, pyroblast again, then the ignite watcher doesn't actually notice that the ticking damage is higher for about 1-2 seconds. My question is if I should instantly combustion after casting the second pyroblast, or should I wait for the ignite to tick at a higher amount. What does the combustion take into account?

3. Ultimately, after playing for a while as fire, is it truly a viable spec to arcane for damage? It seems like a lot of "ifs" in order to maximize dps. Isn't arcane a bit more balanced and steady on the dps output?

4. Lastly, I'm a bit confused about Living Bomb. If I re-cast before the effect ends, will it do the damage to all surrounding units? If so, why is a strategy to not just keep re-casting it on one target (I haven't done any math on this at all......just curious). If I'm aoeing on a group, should I always let the living bomb detonate before re-applying?

Thanks for the info
Edited by Skardd on 2/19/2013 10:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
1. Spread LB with glyphed Inferno Blast, but only as a byproduct of getting Heating Up. It's less important to have the full duration on a pack of mobs as it is to have it spread before the explosion.

2. I haven't had this problem with CombustionHelper. Remember that Pyro has a travel time and that you need it to LAND before the Ignite can be changed/refreshed.

3. Arcane is better on single target and Fire shines on cleave. In general, my single target DPS is just fine against the others in my raid group with similar gear, but Arcane is definitely more powerful in more situations... for now.

4. You want to refresh it after the second to last tick, but before the explosion. If you refresh it earlier than that you will not get the explosion. If you can't get that timing for whatever reason, it's better to be a little late than to refresh too early.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
i strongly strongly disagree with your enchant for feet.

Why in the world would i want 140 mastery over 175 hit?

makes getting hit cap that much easier.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
i strongly strongly disagree with your enchant for feet.

Why in the world would i want 140 mastery over 175 hit?

makes getting hit cap that much easier.

And makes not dying in fire a lot easier too since it also increases movement speed. Less time spent moving = More DPS.
Edited by Mageski on 2/20/2013 2:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Yeah, Hit is theoretically more damage, but the enchant Mageski talks about yields more survival, and depending on the amount of movement in the particular fight, can give more dps.

At some point I'm sure that Fire will break even with Frost and Arcane in T15 since a lot of the gear has Crit on it, but I need to go onto the updated Simcraft and play around with it to find the general gear breakpoint.

EDIT: Spelling is difficult.
Edited by Coopthefat on 2/21/2013 9:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Ok I got a question about Reforging, I use the Addon called ReforgeLite and everytime I Reforge my haste is off by like 6-8%. What I want to know is do anyone of you use ReforgeLite for Mage? I am certainly a Fire Mage, I am aware that Arcane is top charts right now. But I just need to know the numbers for ReforgeLite has Fire Mage.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
02/26/2013 07:28 PMPosted by Magemike
Ok I got a question about Reforging, I use the Addon called ReforgeLite and everytime I Reforge my haste is off by like 6-8%. What I want to know is do anyone of you use ReforgeLite for Mage? I am certainly a Fire Mage, I am aware that Arcane is top charts right now. But I just need to know the numbers for ReforgeLite has Fire Mage.

I'm confused as to what you mean by your haste being "off". I don't use ReforgeLite, but your reforges look correct to me.

Edit, strike that. You're reforging from Haste to Mastery on something... the weights are Crit > Haste > Mastery

Edit 2: You should gem prioritizing Crit over Int. Orange gems in red sockets, yellow in yellow, green in blue.
Edited by Mageski on 2/27/2013 2:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Here are the main changes that apply to us, some applying just to Fire and some applying to all three specs:

• Invocation talent makes Invokers Energy last for 1 minute and give 15% extra damage, compared to the previous 40 secounds duration/25% damage. Invoker's Energy also gives 50% mana regen, compared to the previous 0% mana regeneration.
  • Glyph of Evocation was slightly nerfed, now restoring only 10% health.
  • Greater Invisibility's CD was reduced to 90 seconds, so basically along the lines of other abilities like Dispersion.
  • Frostbolt cast by Mirror Images now deals 50% more damage. I'm assuming that mage spec doesn't enhance the damage of its images, so I'd say to glyph Mirror Images for Fire if you want more damage (feel free to correct me on this part).
  • Glyph of Fire Blast was replaced by Glyph of Inferno Blast, which lets us spread Ignite, Pyroblast, and Combustion to 1 additional target than before, allowing us to spread them to 4 other targets off the cleaved one (was 3 without the glyph), so in essence we can only have these DoTs on 5 total targets. I'm thinking that Living Bomb may become less potent for multidotting, but I have yet to test out the numbers.
  • Blazing Speed is now a Level 15 talent, replacing Scorch. This just means that Scorch is now a baseline ability that won't requiring speccing for.
  • Flameglow is a new Level 30 talent that takes the previous spot of Blazing Speed. It can absorb attacks equal to 20% of our spellpower, up to 30% of the attack. I didin't get the chance to test this out on PTR, so feedback on this is appreciated. However, it does save a GCD and seems to be good against periodic damage, so just based in intuition I'm assuming it's situational, just like most talents.
  • Ice Floes is now a 45-second CD that lasts for 15 seconds, reduced from a 60 second CD and increased duration from 10 seconds. Presence of Mind will still be our best option I think, now that Scorch is baseline for all Fire mages. Still situational.
  • Rune of Power now regenerates mana by 75%, compared to the previous 100%. In comparison to the Invocation changes, I really don't see much of a reason to take Rune of Power as Fire, unless the slightly longer cast-time on Evocation bothers you or something.
  • Pyroblasts direct damage was reduced by 10%.
  • Again, feel free to correct me if I forgot to mention something, or if some of the information is incorrect! Will update the guide to reflect the changes, of course pending hotfixes.

I also still need some mage streams that people can follow, if there are any. Currently I only have one stream mentioned in my guide.

EDIT: Misread the glyph of Inferno Blast changes. Patch changes and guide were changed accordingly.
    Edited by Coopthefat on 3/9/2013 7:03 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Dwarf Mage
    Hey Coopthefat,

I'd like to redirect fire viewers to this thread as another source for great information. I hope you do not mind the additional link in the PvP thread

Well done with the updates!
    Reply Quote
    100 Blood Elf Mage
    Here are the main changes that apply to us, some applying just to Fire and some applying to all three specs:

[li][b]Flameglow is a new Level 30 talent that takes the previous spot of Blazing Speed. It can absorb attacks equal to 20% of our spellpower, up to 30% of the attack. I didin't get the chance to test this out on PTR, so feedback on this is appreciated. However, it does save a GCD and seems to be good against periodic damage, so just based in intuition I'm assuming it's situational, just like most talents.

I tried flameglow last night pve and pvp. its garbage. rogues hit me for 10k throwing stars from 40 yards away and this still hits for 7k a pop a second. On the thunder king island there are swarms of mobs all over and I get hit for more then 15k at at time. this maybe blocks 3k so Im still getting hit for 12k times X amount of mobs.

so what you are saying is reroll a frost mage like everyone else?

you took away all my aoe and gave it to other classes.
    lets talk about this.

living bomb
    scorch
    fireball
    ( maybe heating up procs)inferno blast
    (hot streak)
    alter time
    living bomb
    pyro blast
    combustion
    alter time
    pyro blast

so when am I supposed to fight mobs on on one? I dont know if you have been to the thunder king island but there are mobs all over the place
    Edited by Redsox on 3/6/2013 5:21 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    Glyph of Fire Blast was replaced by Glyph of Inferno Blast, which only spreads Ignite, Pyroblast, and Combustion to 1 other target than the one we're spreading them from, so in essence we can only have these DoTs on 2 total targets.

This is incorrect. Inferno Blast (the spell) spreads Ignite, the Pyroblast DOT and Combustion to 3 additional targets. Glyph of Inferno Blast spreads those DOTs to 1 additional target. That's a total of five targets including the original. I confirmed this (for ignite at least) on some poor Gazelles as the tooltips don't always keep up.
    Edited by Magamon on 3/8/2013 6:25 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Mage
    Not sure if it's a bug or not, but I have been using inferno blast in conjunction with Living Bomb, and even with the glyph, it doesn't seem to be spreading beyond target #1
    Reply Quote
    100 Troll Mage
    This is incorrect. Inferno Blast (the spell) spreads Ignite, the Pyroblast DOT and Combustion to 3 additional targets. Glyph of Inferno Blast spreads those DOTs to 1 additional target. That's a total of five targets including the original. I confirmed this (for ignite at least) on some poor Gazelles as the tooltips don't always keep up.

Well I fail at reading changes, thanks for the heads up!

Not sure if it's a bug or not, but I have been using inferno blast in conjunction with Living Bomb, and even with the glyph, it doesn't seem to be spreading beyond target #1

It's intended for us to not be able to spread Living Bomb, though it does quite hamper our AoE damage.

I tried flameglow last night pve and pvp. its garbage. rogues hit me for 10k throwing stars from 40 yards away and this still hits for 7k a pop a second. On the thunder king island there are swarms of mobs all over and I get hit for more then 15k at at time. this maybe blocks 3k so Im still getting hit for 12k times X amount of mobs.

so what you are saying is reroll a frost mage like everyone else?

you took away all my aoe and gave it to other classes.
    lets talk about this.

living bomb
    scorch
    fireball
    ( maybe heating up procs)inferno blast
    (hot streak)
    alter time
    living bomb
    pyro blast
    combustion
    alter time
    pyro blast

so when am I supposed to fight mobs on on one? I dont know if you have been to the thunder king island but there are mobs all over the place

You should still be able to do dailies as Fire. We can't spread Living Bomb anymore, but that affects all three specs, not just Fire. I still prefer Frost for dailies, but I'm sure it's doable for Arcane and Fire as well.

Hey Coopthefat,

I'd like to redirect fire viewers to this thread as another source for great information. I hope you do not mind the additional link in the PvP thread

Well done with the updates!

Not at all, go ahead!

Also added Bombtracks stream to the stream list, he raids 10-man content with Rehabilitation Clinic.
    Edited by Coopthefat on 3/9/2013 6:57 PM PST
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]