5.4 Fire Mage PvE Guide

(Sticky)

90 Gnome Mage
Glyph of Combustion- Increases the CD, duration, and direct damage all by 100%, meaning it now lasts for 20 seconds, does 100% more damage on the initial direct damage, and has a 1.5 -minute CD. This glyph is recommended if it helps to line up better with vulnerability phases. However, if it's possible to squeeze in more than double the amount of Combustions in a fight than you would with the glyph, then it's a good idea to leave it unglyphed, unless there's some sort of vulnerability phase.

Another situation reason to glyph is that for many add fights ( wind lord ) having this glyph will allow you to spread combustion to more targets even if the last IB spread only ticks a few times..you will still get more damage out of combustion then if it wasn't glyphed.
Reply Quote
03/11/2013 05:04 PMPosted by Illwai
Glyph of Combustion- Increases the CD, duration, and direct damage all by 100%, meaning it now lasts for 20 seconds, does 100% more damage on the initial direct damage, and has a 1.5 -minute CD. This glyph is recommended if it helps to line up better with vulnerability phases. However, if it's possible to squeeze in more than double the amount of Combustions in a fight than you would with the glyph, then it's a good idea to leave it unglyphed, unless there's some sort of vulnerability phase.

Another situation reason to glyph is that for many add fights ( wind lord ) having this glyph will allow you to spread combustion to more targets even if the last IB spread only ticks a few times..you will still get more damage out of combustion then if it wasn't glyphed.

I guessed I never noticed this in the guide.

You will never be able to squeeze in extra Combustions by leaving it unglyphed. The only reason to ever leave off the glyph is if you're using it on targets that will die before the full duration has run out.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Just did some sample math on how many combustions you can get out in a fight for both the glyphed and unglyphed scenarios, and assuming you use the first one pretty early in the fight, you're correct. I apologize for not doing the math to confirm this before. That section is now edited.

Also added Glyph of Counterspell to the list of recommended major glyphs.
Edited by Coopthefat on 3/16/2013 2:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
wow!been playing for 6 years and still learned something great thread
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
After talking to some of the more geared mages on my server there was an issue I couldn't find throughout this post about a "gear requirement." I've preferred fire as a top raiding spec since WotLK (I still live in ICC days) as opposed to arcane but as of recently frost seems to be more efficient at doing damage especially with the new PTR 5.3 notes of the SP ratio of Frostbolt being buffed, however most of my gear is for frost now. Is there a crit "softcap" or an average item level we should be shooting for to make the switch back if you were one of those people to go to frost from fire due to the similar gear requirement?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
After talking to some of the more geared mages on my server there was an issue I couldn't find throughout this post about a "gear requirement." I've preferred fire as a top raiding spec since WotLK (I still live in ICC days) as opposed to arcane but as of recently frost seems to be more efficient at doing damage especially with the new PTR 5.3 notes of the SP ratio of Frostbolt being buffed, however most of my gear is for frost now. Is there a crit "softcap" or an average item level we should be shooting for to make the switch back if you were one of those people to go to frost from fire due to the similar gear requirement?

The general requirements I've seen have been about 510 average ilvl on gear, assuming that a lot of it has crit. This might be 35% crit when buffs ans whatnot are taken into effect, but honestly I'm not sure. I stopped raiding, so with LFR gear I might just stay Frost, depending on how high I can get with rep gear.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I have a quick question regarding stat priorities. If this has already been answered and I missed it, I apologize.

I understand that crit > haste > mastery, but is there a minimum amount of mastery that we should shoot for? Or conversely, is there a set amount of haste that, once hit, mastery would benefit more than haste? Obviously if you can get crit you're going to want to do that, but I'm talking about when the piece already has crit on it so you can't reforge any more crit onto it.

I've looked online for an answer to this and can't seem to find anything on it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
The general requirements I've seen have been about 510 average ilvl on gear, assuming that a lot of it has crit. This might be 35% crit when buffs ans whatnot are taken into effect, but honestly I'm not sure. I stopped raiding, so with LFR gear I might just stay Frost, depending on how high I can get with rep gear.

I'm currently at 514 ilvl and was fire until recently. After doing some test runs on a target dummy and applying some of my past experience at this ilvl, I would put much more weight on the crit % than on the ilvl.

I understand that crit > haste > mastery, but is there a minimum amount of mastery that we should shoot for?

No. After excess hit, mastery will be the first stat you should consider reforging in to a stronger stat. Of course if you are below hit cap, mastery should be the stat you should consider first to reforge in to hit.
Edited by Enygmah on 4/5/2013 3:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Can anyone offer any insight on how Relic of Yu'lon fits into this tier's trinkets? Is it still competitive dps-wise, or should I move on 522s from ToT?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
It still says in your guide that critical mass is a 1.3 crit multiplier. I am seeing it currently as 1.2 though.
Reply Quote
It still says in your guide that critical mass is a 1.3 crit multiplier. I am seeing it currently as 1.2 though.

Tooltip error. It's 1.3.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I'm curious I'm check a lot of fire mages armories and their ilvls are <520 and around <35% crit wondering what kind of dps you guys are pulling? Logs prefered
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
This might sound dumb,but, I have tryed to learn this game as many different toons. I like my mage, he has the best i can get gear wise, with gems ,enchants, etc.. My dps at ilev476 is around 20k. I learned on my own what i could , i can't seem to find what i'm missing. Any help would be nice.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
This might sound dumb,but, I have tried to learn this game as many different toons. I like my mage, he has the best i can get gear wise, with gems ,enchants, etc.. My dps at ilev476 is around 20k. I learned on my own what i could , i can't seem to find what i'm missing. Any help would be nice.
Reply Quote
This might sound dumb,but, I have tried to learn this game as many different toons. I like my mage, he has the best i can get gear wise, with gems ,enchants, etc.. My dps at ilev476 is around 20k. I learned on my own what i could , i can't seem to find what i'm missing. Any help would be nice.

Read the guide again. You have over 17% hit and your gems/enchants are all over the place.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
This toon is an alt of mine. I did the math and after changing gems/reforging, I'd have ~31% crit with Molten Armor and Brilliance. Is that enough to go Fire? I had read 500 ilvl and I have 499 at the moment(I know I'm using cheap enchants on bracers and weapon and missing one on shoulders at the moment, currently broke since this toon is on a diff. server from my main).
Reply Quote
This toon is an alt of mine. I did the math and after changing gems/reforging, I'd have ~31% crit with Molten Armor and Brilliance. Is that enough to go Fire? I had read 500 ilvl and I have 499 at the moment(I know I'm using cheap enchants on bracers and weapon and missing one on shoulders at the moment, currently broke since this toon is on a diff. server from my main).

It'll hurt, badly. I didn't really feel like it was performing to potential until I reached 37-38%, and even then... I'd suggest 40% unless you're really good at Fire. Otherwise, Frost is probably your best bet.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
05/13/2013 09:05 AMPosted by Mageski

It'll hurt, badly. I didn't really feel like it was performing to potential until I reached 37-38%, and even then... I'd suggest 40% unless you're really good at Fire. Otherwise, Frost is probably your best bet.

Thanks(this be my main).

I really love Fire but I'm starting to get a lot better playing Frost and not hating it like I used to at least.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Semester is finally over, life of the physics major. Will be updating this guide for more clarity over the next few days, including the outdated sections.
Edited by Coopthefat on 5/18/2013 6:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Patch 5.3 Changes:

General
- Arcane Brilliance had its mana cost reduced to 1%, down from 4%.
- Arcane Explosion now deals 40% more damage.
- Blizzard now deals 40% more damage.
- Dalaran Brilliance had its mana cost reduced to 1%, down from 4%.
- Flamestrike now deals 100% more initial damage. Periodic damage remains unchanged.
- Mirror Image creates copies that no longer cast Fire Blast, but their Frostbolt do 10% more damage.
- Teleport: Vale of Eternal Blossoms and Portal: Vale of Eternal Blossoms now have new icons.

Talents
- Flameglow now absorbs damage from each attack made against the Mage equal to 15% of their spellpower (down from 20%).
- Incanter's Ward now allows the Mage to gain up to a maximum of 15% increase to spell damage, down from 30%, but the effect now lasts 25 seconds, up from 15 seconds.
- Living Bomb periodic damage has been increased by 121%. Its explosion damage has been reduced by 78%, but now scales with additional periodic ticks added by haste, and hits all nearby targets (up from 3).
Edited by Mageski on 5/20/2013 9:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]