Warlock tank.

86 Blood Elf Warlock
Block? we'd be modeled after dk/druid
parry? % of our haste turns into parry
dodge? % of our crit turns into dodge
mastery? oh wait.....with the glyph we have a tanking mastery.

All the tools are in play to make it happen, however it WILL NOT happen in MoP, potentially the next expansion but I'm thinking the one after that provided this game is still alive.
Reply Quote
1 Human Paladin
Lol. Still trying to be Warlock Tanks. Get over it. Not going to happen. So much of the game mechanics would have to change in order for it to happen. Where is your Block? Dodge? Parry? coming from?.
The game does not need another Tank class. There are enough. People simply do not wish to play the role, THAT is why the the times to enter dungeons and raids are so long. Blizzard could add 50 Tank classes and could not change people's desire to not play the class.

If you want to play a Tank so bad then roll a dedicated Tank class and enjoy.
Yeah, you tell them guy. This reminds me of those idiots in vanilla who wanted to tank as paladins LOL itll never happen. You cant have a tanking class without parry. Except druids. You cant have a tanking spec without block. Except for monks, death knights and druids. You dont even have a shield wall'ish ability to reduce 40% damage or a talent that works like tanking monks stagger. Active mitigation???? Definitely cannot trade 200 demonic fury for a 30k+ damage shield. Theres just no basis for warlocks becoming a viable tank.
Edited by Mmsammich on 9/5/2012 11:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Human Paladin
sarcasm aside, posting on phone cant use[Enter] to start a new paragraph lol.. Or change posting toons ftl. Anyways, Ive tanked all the dragonsoul 5 mans and a bit of the raid. We need our an active and passive mitigation buff and we'd be pretty much set. Well, that and we need to be actually flagged as tanks. Hagara definitely frost tombed me while I was tanking her :/
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
09/05/2012 11:17 AMPosted by Mmsammich
sarcasm aside, posting on phone cant use[Enter] to start a new paragraph lol.. Or change posting toons ftl. Anyways, Ive tanked all the dragonsoul 5 mans and a bit of the raid. We need our an active and passive mitigation buff and we'd be pretty much set. Well, that and we need to be actually flagged as tanks. Hagara definitely frost tombed me while I was tanking her :/

Well from what i have been reading people are finding ways to get better and better with tanking by stam stacking like blood dks and mastery stacking, as far as mitigation goes, i think there are a few we have.
Edited by Celamentoria on 9/5/2012 11:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Human Paladin
09/05/2012 11:54 AMPosted by Celamentoria

Well from what i have been reading people are finding ways to get better and better with tanking by stam stacking like blood dks and mastery stacking, as far as mitigation goes, i think there are a few we have.
I agree. I think gearing is a large part of the issue for many lock tanks atm. A prot warrior wouldnt go into a dungeon gemmed and reforged to to haste crit and AP, but since lock tanking is a lolconcept atm people try to tank in full damage gear and it hurts. We have some good cooldowns, but 30 second cooldown on our 'active mitigation' ability hurts.With a 200 DF cost it almost doesnt need a cooldown. We should also have at least one other AM abililty imo. I guess technically since we have very little dodge you could count harvest life as active mitigation since you dont lose much by channeling as a lock tank(3% dodge here lol) Id imagine bliz will buff our dodge if they decide to let us become 'legit' tanks. Just building our passive mit off mastery with no luck of dodge parry ect might juat make us too good lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Has blizzard said anything in regards to this lately?
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Death Knight
Lol. Still trying to be Warlock Tanks. Get over it. Not going to happen. So much of the game mechanics would have to change in order for it to happen. Where is your Block? Dodge? Parry? coming from?.
The game does not need another Tank class. There are enough. People simply do not wish to play the role, THAT is why the the times to enter dungeons and raids are so long. Blizzard could add 50 Tank classes and could not change people's desire to not play the class.

Unfortunately, I agree with Shailude (even though he's a bit of a troll).

Warlocks don't get the 6% reduced chance to receive a critical strike like other tank classes do. If you bring a warlock into LFR, you have a chance to be hit for over 100k, which isn't sustainable through a long fight.

If you just want to tank in dungeons, then go for it. As far as I've seen, it seems to work ok... The only problem I see with tanking in dungeons, is that you wont be able to need roll on tank gear. If you are able to procure some tank gear, thats great! However, you probably will only ever be able to use it to tank dungeons (Crit immunity in raids is essential).

I personally only do dungeons to improve my gear to be raid ready, so I wouldn't find tanking in them to be very useful (since warlocks cant tank raid bosses nearly as effectively as regular tanks). I know some people just enjoy tanking dungeons, but I think in general, most warlocks will want to just improve their dps gear so they can advance to the tier content.

All this aside, I think three changes would need to be made in order for us to be effective tanks:

1) Give us 6% Crit immunity like other tanks.

2) Change how Dodge scales so we can reforge to it for extra avoidance (currently Dodge scales horribly).

3) Change how Mastery scales to be competitive with how it scales in other tanking classes (currently you start at negative damage reduction from Mastery and gradually move to positive while reforging to a LOT of Mastery).

09/05/2012 10:43 AMPosted by Celamentoria
Dont shoot down our hopes and dreams.

Hopefully I didn't ruin someone's hopes and dreams... That's not my intention.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
^^
You did not exactly shoot them down towards the end, but i do agree that those are three things that would need to be and can be changed in order for warlocks to tank in raids, i really hope that blizzard adds warlock tanking in the game because i am having so much fun tanking dungeons on my 47 warlock right now.
Reply Quote
59 Gnome Warlock

I have played tanks,many classes of them and levelled them. I disagree,the more varieties of tanking classes and methods there are then the more people will take interest in the role. I for one want to level my lock more than anything now JUST because I can tank on him right now. It is one of the few redeeming features I have discovered since this big patch,and I think it is a great idea to maybe split demonology like feral,one spec for dps and one for tanking.Wouldn't be that hard,already nearly there.

I think we all pay enough for them to take the time to code in some defenses similar to monks,and split the demo tree like druids already are.But I have always enjoyed tanking and always wanted to level a lock...I very much think it would be a big step,along with the new monks,to shortening the queues by supplying the game with more tanks.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Yeah the getting crit is a problem and mastery is scaling per % of reduced damage is soooo low. Even if you got bis lock tank gear I'm not seeing over 23% mitigation.

Its still fun to kill the time till the next xpac anywho.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
I am GNOME!

I am LOCK!

I am TANK!

err..umm...*cough*...I meant I would like to kind blizzard.

Thank-you :)
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Let me put it this way and no trolling intended.
If I'm on my Resto Druid in a LFD and there's a Warlock that signed up as a tank I won't crack a heal on him. Period.

There are classes that are tanks. That are designed to be tanks. Blizzard has stated that at best they expect in a ten man or above that maybe a Demo Warlock can step up and buy a few seconds to get the main tank rezzed and going again.

They have not said anything any where that I have read of Warlocks being viable main tanks that can sign up as main tanks in LFD or LFR.

Again the reason for the long wait times in LFD and LFR for Tanks is people do not want to play that role.

For those of you who wish to play a tank and help mitigate the long wait times then step into the tank classes and help out.

I prefer to fulfil the traditional Warlock role.
Reply Quote
60 Human Warrior
09/09/2012 03:08 PMPosted by Shailude
They have not said anything any where that I have read of Warlocks being viable main tanks that can sign up as main tanks in LFD or LFR.

Blizzard doesn't know everything about their own game(no offense to them, but emergent gameplay is commonplace). They didn't intend voidwalkers to tank sarth+3 but that ended up being optimal because of Avoidance.

They didn't intend Obliterate to be more dps than Scourge Strike for Unholy back in late WotLK either, so they had to nerf it and buff scourge strike again.

There are plenty of times where something is way better than they intend or think, and it isn't until lots of people start using it that they realize it.

Whether they'll nerf it further or simple remove the glyph or actually rework it into something intentionally made viable is of course completely up in the air, but I am 100% certain that its effectiveness as it presently stands is significantly higher than they mean for it to be.

What actually remains to be seen is how long it takes them to realize it and what they choose to do about it.
Edited by Qaenyin on 9/9/2012 3:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
To be honest, I'm tired of warlocks in every run I go with my lvling tank, they separate, leave everyone else, and usually mess the whole run. I mean its nice they can do new stuff but wtf stop acting like little kids =/
Reply Quote
60 Human Warrior
09/09/2012 04:03 PMPosted by Taniara
To be honest, I'm tired of warlocks in every run I go with my lvling tank, they separate, leave everyone else, and usually mess the whole run. I mean its nice they can do new stuff but wtf stop acting like little kids =/

This happens any time a class gets a new toy. I'm sure brewmaster monks will be just as bad if not worse, just like when DKs first came out and you had idiots tanking in unholy presence or dpsing in frost presence.
Edited by Qaenyin on 9/9/2012 4:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
You talk abotu needing Block dodge and parry but gaurdian druids cannot block or parry and so they have high dodge and absorbs. Warlock tanks would work the same way if implemented.

Yes I think warlock tanking would be a great addition to the game, it's a new way to play and it's a very fun playstyle.

And I don't want to play a tank class in general, I want to play a warlock tank. It's something completely new and different and its quite a neat concept and it is an awesome concept, the demonic powerhouse who summons demons and pets to absorb damage and inflict punishment. Seems like lock tanking would add a exciting new flavor to the game.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
For those of you that are wondering:

Tanking raid bosses (especially the ones that require 2 tanks) is out of reach for us because of our taunt not working on them. If this is changed, we can definitely tank Alizabal and we can probably tank at least some normal DS bosses.

From what I can tell, DA warlocks have about the same ability to survive as a real tank 20ish ilvls below them if they are gemmed, reforged, and enchanted for tanking. In other words, to tank normal DS (assuming they fixed the taunt) you should have around 400ilvl. To tank HoTs you should be in the 370s at least. There is also a higher skillcap - less passive mitigation, more active mitigation and CD management.

Also, get relevant tank trinkets. Be careful to read proc trinkets because some of them only proc from melee hits and will not proc for us. Windwalk also will not proc for us (sadly). Also remember that parry is useless.

Stats:

Hit (15%) > Stam > Dodge > Int =? Mastery >>>>>> Haste (crit is useless)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Hit(17%) > Stam > Int > Mastery > A rock > Everything else.

Wouldn't that be more correct?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock

15% is the hit cap as of 5.0.4

You left out dodge. There's no way for us to get a lot of dodge but it is a useful stat to reforge into - more valuable than mastery anyway.

Haste and crit are both bad stats but haste is slightly better because you can generate fury a little faster. This basically only matters if you have an item with haste and crit, in which case you would reforge crit to dodge.

After reforging dodge onto everything you may only end up with 6%, but that's still 6% less damage taken overall. Every little bit helps.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

15% is the hit cap as of 5.0.4

You left out dodge. There's no way for us to get a lot of dodge but it is a useful stat to reforge into - more valuable than mastery anyway.

Haste and crit are both bad stats but haste is slightly better because you can generate fury a little faster. This basically only matters if you have an item with haste and crit, in which case you would reforge crit to dodge.

After reforging dodge onto everything you may only end up with 6%, but that's still 6% less damage taken overall. Every little bit helps.

6% more dodging but even then its so tiny I doubt it affects much.

I thought hit cap was 17%? >.>

Anywho good posts!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]