Can my system handle Mists of Pandaria?

I'm using a mid 2010 13" Macbook Pro. I've been having the overheating problems (often beginning with the login screen) as some other users have pointed out. My question is, will this system be able to handle extensive WoW play anymore? My scroll of resurrection is almost up and I don't know if I should invest in a subscription and the expansion as much as I would love to.

I explained all of this to a representative and was told that I should be fine, but I can't help but think he might have been trying to get me to shell out a few bucks. He also said my graphics card was below minimum requirements, which isn't encouraging.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
You should be able to run WoW fine. The team is working on some additional fixes to correct issues like the CPU % high usage that has been reported that can contribute to overheating.

Have you tried some of the additional suggestions that are listed in our overheating Mac article?

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/preventing-overheating-for-cpugraphics-card-mac
Reply Quote
Thank you for the response. I should replace my defective chillpad, but other than that I adhere to everything on that list. I'm also currently running the client on the lowest possible graphics settings. Does this really help mitigate my graphic card's weakness and overall performance (overheating, crashing, etc.)?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
If I am correct, your video card should meet the system requirements. I believe you have the following:
NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

I'm not sure why someone told you otherwise :(

I personally have that on my Mac Mini at home, and it runs fine. What specific issues are you having, as you mentioned you're crashing and etc. If we troubleshoot other symptoms, it may help overall performance.
Edited by Machkhan on 9/3/2012 2:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah, that is my graphics card. The person I spoke to on the phone told me it is now obsolete, but thanks for the great news! The game itself runs wonderfully even without being on low graphics settings (I had been playing on recommended settings prior to patch 5.04). The overheating and extremely loud fan are what concern me the most. My computer has never shut off due to the temperature, but I don't know if that is because I always stop playing if I feel it is heading in that direction.

I also experienced some random crashes within the past couple of days. Some in instances on 80-85 ish characters, which is sort of understandable I guess, and once on a level 20 roaming around in Duskwood. Deleting my WTF folder seems to have fixed this for now.

It seems like my problems should be fixed by the incoming patch for Macs.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Can you post some of the recent crash logs to be sure? This might explain somethings.

Error logs can be found in Applications/World of Warcraft/Errors
*Make sure you remove your computer/user name from the report.
Reply Quote
I do not see that file. The handful of times that this occurred I was not given an error message. I also had another question regarding my graphics card. While finishing up Wells of Eternity the graphics started to become distorted so I turned off my computer. This also happened to an iMac I had many years ago (the White, plastic looking ones). How can I avoid this? I had not been playing for very long at all.

I've already paid for one month of WoW, but things like this really make me hesitate about upgrading to MoP. I want to but not at the expense of my computer.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
If I can be of any help, I've played through the whole beta with the same setup as you, Achu, and I'm playing the 5.0.4 right now as well. Things don't get much harder on the GPU at Pandaria, as far as I've played (on the last beta builds I had to manually cap my FPS at 28 not to go over 90ºC, but then, they are using the same engine as the now live 5.0.4)

I've been through earlier beta builds without that much stress on my CPU and GPU - meaning, going to Pandaria and not getting over, or near 90ºC - and since this CPU/GPU "heavyness" is a known issue on the Macs on this current build, it will probably get reverted to a normal state (80ºC something degrees on heavy AoE environment, fair to good settings).

Not that our setup shine on a 25m raid composition, but I'm confident on doing my 10m just as I did on Cata.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the reply, Tronic. The problem occurred again this morning. I guess I'll just have to wait until the patch to see if the Mac issues are rectified. I've also heard that it has already been implemented on the PTR. Is this true? If I could run around for the PTR for about an hour and not have this problem I will upgrade to MoP today.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
It should be updated for Beta and PTR, as I think they are on the same build. I don't know for sure if PTR is open at this time.
Reply Quote
I was just about to ask that. I'm not sure how to even check. The last time I was on a PTR there was no centralized Battle.net.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I see that the PTR forums are up and running. Most times this indicates that PTR is up. Though I can't verify for sure, as any test accounts I attempt to use, the PTR always seems to not reflect if its up or not. I guess it is the curse of the internal client.
Reply Quote
I was able to successfully load the PTR and create a pre-made character. According to trade chat the Mac issue has not been fixed. I ran an instance and faced the same heating issues, which seem to corroborate what I was told.

Though that could have also been because I was also downloading the client while running it.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Can you run activity monitor and see what your CPU usage is? The fix was to address CPU usage.

Also, can you post your system specs?

1. Launch World of Warcraft and log in.
    2. Put World of Warcraft into Windowed Mode if it is not already in Windowed Mode.
    3. From the system menu bar, select Help > Copy Support Information: http://i45.tinypic.com/foodww.png
    4. Paste the contents of the copied system information here (Command-V)

What graphic settings is your slider bar at?
Reply Quote
Using the PTR. I've suspended my account on live until this is sorted out. Below is the information you requested. I made sure to wait until the end of the instance I was running to collect the information as that is when the fan spins the fastest/computer becomes hot.

I turned graphics to to the lowest setting. Forget what it is called, just clicked the left most option on the slider. Also, what is activity monitor? Is that something provided by Apple or a third party program?

Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E53)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.0
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 12:44

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP71.0039.B0E
SMC Version (system): 1.62f6
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Graphics/Displays:

NVIDIA GeForce 320M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 320M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x08a0
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3533
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.US
Keyboard Layout: ANSI
Edited by Achu on 9/10/2012 7:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Try later today, as patch 5.0.5 was released, which has this fix in it.
Reply Quote
I'll be booting up the PTR client in just a moment. It is the same version of the game as live at this point, right? As I said before my account is frozen until all of this is sorted out.

Though I hope I get to re-sub and upgrade to MoP today, wish me luck. Thanks a ton for your help and advice (ditto to you Tronic).
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
09/11/2012 04:27 PMPosted by Achu
I'll be booting up the PTR client in just a moment. It is the same version of the game as live at this point, right? As I said before my account is frozen until all of this is sorted out.

Right now there are at the same build and same version as Live.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]