Ask Creative Development — Round III Answers

(Locked)

90 Orc Death Knight
Q: Is there truly an Old God underneath the Tirisfal Glade?A: Nope! There’s something incredibly unsettling there, but it’s not an Old God. It isn’t recommended to go digging through the Glades, though.

Tell me moarrr, don't leave me hangin bro D:
91 Tauren Death Knight

And we see nothing like it in Silverpine and Hillsbrad, and this Cdev answer explained is that the reason we don't is because the Forsaken control them until their goals are accomplished before offering them the choice, and even then the choice is "serve us or die." No "or do your own thing" anymore.

Lillian Voss did her own thing.
91 Night Elf Druid
09/05/2012 01:34 PMPosted by Drailen
Aren't all the ancients spirits?

No. The ancients are physical beings. The only pure spirit one I can think of is aveena
100 Human Warrior
Q: Why do some Alliance soldiers raised by the Forsaken immediately become loyal to the Forsaken while others do not? Are they being mind controlled? If so, by whom: Sylvanas or the Val’kyr? How does this relate to the fact that the Forsaken cultural identity is based on their free will and rebellion against the Lich King?
A: Free will is one of the cornerstones of Forsaken culture, with the great capacity for both good and evil that it entails. However, some undead, especially those who die in combat or under extreme stress and are raised soon after, enter into a violent, frenzied state. Undead in this state are easily manipulated and their rage is often directed at the foes of those who raised them. After the effects wear off, if the risen corpse has not been destroyed, they are given the same ultimatum that other Forsaken are offered: join the Dark Lady or return to the grave.

This makes sense, but I wish it was shown in game better so it would quiet the debates (a little).
90 Troll Warrior
Undead starting area.

One person joins the Forsaken, one has a "I'M NOT A MONSTER! /flee" reaction and goes off on her own and one turns against the Forsaken.

And we see nothing like it in Silverpine and Hillsbrad, and this Cdev answer explained is that the reason we don't is because the Forsaken control them until their goals are accomplished before offering them the choice, and even then the choice is "serve us or die." No "or do your own thing" anymore.

I think you're grasping for straws, here. It's not that important for every aspect of the Forsaken "reproduction" to be reproduced in every example of it.
100 Human Warrior
Q: Wrathion constantly claims that he is the last black dragon, but what of Sabellian and the other black dragons in Outland (and even the Netherwing)? Did Wrathion somehow have them killed, or is he ignorant of their existence?
A: Wrathion states, “To my knowledge, I am the only black dragon who remains.” Thankfully, Wrathion is not omniscient, and he is simply ignorant of the dragons beyond the Dark Portal. Both the black dragons under his elder half-brother Sabellian and the Netherwing flight remain in Outland. There is also the possibility that some black dragons on Azeroth have managed to evade Wrathion’s detection as well.

So there might be other black dragons on Azeroth that might show up latter.

/readies evil laugh

/concludes that evil laugh was too much so instead just smiles
90 Troll Warrior
I'm seeing a lot of people state the Blood Elf green eyes question was "obvious" and "known" but found no clear or canon source on Wowpedia. And I do mean "or": the closest source, which isn't canon, only makes it clear for the Blood Elves that directly consume fel magic.
100 Night Elf Warrior
Out of curiosity, are there dig sites in Tirisfal?! :p
90 Orc Death Knight

Lillian Voss did her own thing.

That's really more because she was aimed at the Forsaken's enemies and it would be pointless and costly to go through to process of recruiting her just to tell her to do what she's already doing.
91 Tauren Death Knight

That's really more because she was aimed at the Forsaken's enemies and it would be pointless and costly to go through to process of recruiting her just to tell her to do what she's already doing.

Except that's exactly what we tried to do during her storyline in Tirisfal Glades.
100 Night Elf Rogue
Q: How does Cenarius view the Horde? Considering that Cenarius’ first instinct upon seeing orcs in his forest was to attack them, and Cenarius was killed by the father of the current warchief, it seems odd that Cenarius and his allies are so cordial to the Horde and orcs in particular in Hyjal.
A: Despite no longer having warlocks in their ranks, the orcs of Thrall’s Horde still carried within them the unmistakable mark of the Burning Legion upon their very souls up until the moment that Grom Hellscream defeated Mannoroth. Cenarius, as a being so attuned to nature that he can sense the slightest corruption, assumed that the orcs in Ashenvale were scouts of the Legion. This, ironically, sent the Warsong clan back into the service of Mannoroth and lead to the reestablishment of their connection to the potent fel magics that first bound them to the Legion. Cenarius’s spirit returned to the Emerald Dream after his defeat, and within it, he was able to sense the events of the Battle of Mount Hyjal. Cenarius saw the orcs defend Nordrassil hand-in-hand with the night elves and humans, and developed a growing respect for them. Cenarius saw that, despite their fel taint, they were allies against the Legion and defenders of the land (noting Garrosh’s father’s victory over his former enslaver in particular), so when both he and the Horde returned to Hyjal to defend the World Tree once again, Cenarius saw the orcs and their allies in a new light.

But what about the Orcs that are currently in Ashenvale - sorry, the Orcs that are currently destroying Ashenvale, and that have been at it ever since Vanilla WoW. You can't say that it's just "Garrosh's" orcs, as they've been attacking the Night Elves and the Spirits of the forest since WoW launched. Back in Warcraft III, the Demi Gods and the Spirits of the Forest were staunch allies of the Night Elves, and they helped in the effort to push back the Orcs. Right now, the Night Elves and the Orcs are at war; and now that the temporary pact at Hyjal has ended and Ragnaros is defeated, will Cenarius and the other spirits help the Night Elves push the Orcs out of Ashenvale, as they have done in the past?

Or will you be taking them away from the Night Elves, and making them into another neutral faction that tries to make peace between the two species? The actions of a few Orcs - and there were but a few at Hyjal, as the vast majority of the defenders there were either Kaldorei or Tauren, with the Kaldorei making up the bulk of the numbers - do not excuse the actions of the species as a whole. A few, individual Orcs may have gone to Hyjal of their own volition, but the vast majority of the Orcs were being sent not to Hyjal, but to Ashenvale - to continue the war against the Night Elves, and destroy the forest.

*Dons Kanye glasses.*

Cenarius doesn't care about Night Elves.

*Crowd gasps*

Honestly though, now that we're giving mana bombs and plague to the Horde, I think it's high time that the Alliance gets a super-weapon, or at least gets a step up in basis, and the Night Elves need something of that order fairly soon.

I'm not even talking about ancients either. How about we just go back to Night Elven tactics or take advantage of their new connections? Why aren't we seeing Night Elves link up their underground networks of barrows in Ashenvale to move troops and supplies? What ever happened to letting the enemy take a false stronghold so that you can besiege them from cover? What is so wrong with having partisan druids taking a stand to defend their homes and their families? Or hey, why not just amend the questing so it looks like we're actually standing a chance instead of giving us depressing garbage that we have to analyze for two weeks before we can figure out that it's more even than it looks?
Edited by Kyalin on 9/5/2012 2:39 PM PDT
90 Gnome Priest
I hope that one day Maeiv returns to the world of warcraft and i hope that someday Med'an can come into play. I find him a very interesting character, just as I did Medihv.
90 Gnome Mage
It's always great to see questions like this answered. Lore discussion was always my favorite panel at Blizzcon.
90 Dwarf Rogue
WHERE IS KUL TIRAS?
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
09/05/2012 01:24 PMPosted by Drailen
It's not without precedent in the lore for Arcane and Light to be mingled.

Fel and Arcane are far more often cited along the same exact line than the Light and Arcane. Regardless, two things cannot be mingled if they're the same thing to begin with.

Elune's power might be the closest thing to an Arcane/Light Hybrid power, but it's still distinctly its own power, wholly removed from that of the Naaru or the Light of humanity.
63 Draenei Paladin
As I said the realm of the Arcane(The Twisting Nether) is sometimes called The Void as such I am of the opinion that Arcane Magic is Void Magic while Shadow Magic is Psionic Magic and Light Magic is Willpower Magic.
90 Human Paladin

As for the wonderfully unique Med’an, no one has seen hide, nor hair of him following Maraad’s return to the Exodar, leading some to believe that he has traveled to a new world or plane to continue his training.

THANK YOU. This is the next-best thing to retconning that abomination out of the lore altogether.
91 Tauren Death Knight
09/05/2012 02:12 PMPosted by Ferlion
Aren't all the ancients spirits?

No. The ancients are physical beings. The only pure spirit one I can think of is aveena

They're referred to as Loa by the Trolls. They also have died, continued to exist in spirit form in the Emerald Dream, and then returned in physical form after a period of time. I would say that the Ancients are a mix of the spiritual and physical.
90 Human Warlock
I truly do not like that they hinted at Elune being a Naaru. Please Blizzard don't connect them like this. The Naaru are not "Gods/Goddess" in the Warcraft universe right? I remeber them just being similar to an angel like being that works with the light, hence why they can corrupt into void beings and then be reborn as light again.

Let Elune stay a Goddess. Maybe she actually leads the Naaru, but please don't let her be one.
90 Night Elf Priest
What a fascinating thread! I love learning about lore, thank you for posting! Saw this was #3, search found me #2 … where might I find #1? Thank you so much for doing this!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]