MoP almost didn't happen

100 Human Priest
Apparently they were already planning another expansion before they decided to focus on Pandaria!
World of Warcraft's upcoming expansion, Mists of Pandaria, almost never was, according to the massively multiplayer game's senior producer, John Lagrave.

The team at Blizzard were in the process of designing an entirely different expansion before they turned their focus toward the Pandaren race, first seen in Blizzard's Warcraft real-time strategy series.

"We actually had pitched an entirely different expansion to the team," Lagrave told Polygon during this year's Gamescom conference in Cologne, Germany.

"We got them all to say this idea was cool and this was interesting, just when we decided not to do it."

Lagrave stated the team were as far as "initial planning and background lore" before they changed direction. He would not detail what the undeveloped title comprised of, explaining:

"I'm going to hold that one, put it in that bucket where I might pull it out for expansion eight or something."

Detailing why the team chose to move on to Pandaria as opposed to their original plan, he said Mists of Pandaria simply resonated with the team more.

"Pandaria resonated with us, and that had a gripping appeal so when we were like 'well we could explore this' and we could feel that vibe roll through the team saying 'I like this a lot.' We love that sense of adventure."

Lagrave added that despite the controversy over the apparent casual and cute flavor of Mists of Pandaria, the package goes back to World of Warcraft's roots more so than any expansion before it, thanks to a sense of exploring an entirely new area.

"We want [players] to have a sense of wonder where you are coming into this new land that is very different from Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms. Wrath of the Lich King sat there and took a story we were telling in Warcraft 3, or further than that, Death Wing pull back to Warcraft 2, maybe we are just pulling back from the deep bucket. The notion of pure exploration if the classic version of WoW, that's what you did from levels 1 through 60. That is it."

Lead encounter designer Ion Hazzikostas added that previous expansions carried with them areas that users would be familiar with as often they were referenced in earlier installments of the series, whereas Mists of Pandaria offers something outside of the original lore.

"I think with Vanilla people still had their preconceptions that they were visiting from the Warcraft series," he said. "'Oh I'm in Hillsbrad, I remember these places.' Whereas in Pandaria there is more of a sense of discovery."

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria is scheduled to release September 25th.

- http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/8/15/3244037/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-very-nearly-never-was
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Lagrave added that despite the controversy over the apparent casual and cute flavor of Mists of Pandaria, the package goes back to World of Warcraft's roots more so than any expansion before it, thanks to a sense of exploring an entirely new area.

They said this about Cataclysm as well.

Which was good until they started patching.
Edited by Lellex on 9/2/2012 6:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
09/02/2012 06:38 PMPosted by Lellex
Which was good until they started patching.

And wasted Deathwing with next to no development.
Reply Quote
I wonder what expansion idea they were working on.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
My guess would be South Seas expansion with the Vashj'ir build up+Zanadalari then switched the Zandalar plot to Pandaria when they changed their direction.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
09/02/2012 07:07 PMPosted by Vicara
My guess would be South Seas expansion with the Vashj'ir build up+Zanadalari then switched the Zandalar plot to Pandaria when they changed their direction.

My pirate expansion =(

Although you could replace all the "copying Kung Fu Panda" crying with "copying Pirates of the Carribean" crying and the pre-expansion discussion would have been the same. Even if both are true.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
This could of been the expansion with High Elves. Smh.
Reply Quote
09/02/2012 07:12 PMPosted by Karob
This could of been the expansion with High Elves. Smh.

09/02/2012 07:07 PMPosted by Vicara

If it was those, I would be so mad. I want Kul Tiras in the game and I want playable High Elves. *Pouts.*
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Rogue
Even if it was Kul Tiras (Which I want to see back), there'd be no way it would have been High Elves
Reply Quote
09/02/2012 07:59 PMPosted by Wrenchester
Even if it was Kul Tiras (Which I want to see back), there'd be no way it would have been High Elves

I know. I mean if it was either of those I would be mad.
Reply Quote
No pandas.....?

http://i.imgur.com/vmcCc.gif
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
oh lord, an expansion based entirely around trolls would be AWFUL
Reply Quote
09/02/2012 08:13 PMPosted by Altaiea
oh lord, an expansion based entirely around trolls would be AWFUL
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
Let's face it, Azeroth as seen on the map is running out of areas to make expansions in. I think they should do the unexpected. People have always hinted/wondered if there is another side to Azeroth that isn't viewable on the map.

Now, I'm not calling MoP bad, I like it a lot, but I never expected it, and would prefer anything else that's decent over it. The story is great, etc, but just like Worgen (Nothing against Worgen, they have awesome lore), Pandas don't have any place as a playable race. They're cool and all, but they're pointless as a playable race. It's like adding a kobold to the Alliance. What's the point?

I'd love some underground expansion, where the Cataclysm weakened some massive cave system or something, and eventually some earthquake opened holes into an underground content. Unexpected, and not really hinted at, but I always wondered if Azeroth had massive caverns that host an almost entirely new world. Nothing in lore hints its existence, but nothing disproves it could exist.

Just me rambling, but w/e
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Now, I'm not calling MoP bad, I like it a lot, but I never expected it, and would prefer anything else that's decent over it. The story is great, etc, but just like Worgen (Nothing against Worgen, they have awesome lore), Pandas don't have any place as a playable race. They're cool and all, but they're pointless as a playable race. It's like adding a kobold to the Alliance. What's the point?

How do Worgen not fit into the alliance, and how are they pointless as a playable race?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
I'd love some underground expansion, where the Cataclysm weakened some massive cave system or something, and eventually some earthquake opened holes into an underground content. Unexpected, and not really hinted at, but I always wondered if Azeroth had massive caverns that host an almost entirely new world. Nothing in lore hints its existence, but nothing disproves it could exist.

So basically you'd like the Underdark.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue

How do Worgen not fit into the alliance, and how are they pointless as a playable race?

I never said they didn't fit. They fit as Gilneans, but Blizzard only made them Worgen just so they would be different. Now, it would be stupid to have a second human race as a playable race. That's why they made Gilneans worgen, just to add variety. Lorewise, they being Worgen is just unnecessary, and just there to fill a slot, rather than fit in with the entire expansion.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Didn't they also say that WotLK was going back to the roots of Warcraft.

And then we had airships.

Pretty sure they say that about every xPac Post-BC just to make it sound profound and awesome.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
they said it about cataclysm

LOOKIE DERR
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]