Can't DL/Connect (Students Pt. 4)

90 Draenei Shaman
to SFA people :

"We receive numerous calls regarding students not being able to connect to World of Warcraft from the campus network. Recently the usual fixes stopped working. We had a suspicion that the culprit was that the WoW game client was using BitTorrent, a peer to peer (P2P) file sharing system that is severely limited on campus because it is used for illegal file sharing. So today we setup a computer with Windows 7, Microsoft Security Essentials and the basic WoW client and watched the IP packets between the computer and the internet. Even with the P2P option disabled, the WoW client was still using BitTorrent. Until Blizzard updates their WoW client so it does not rely on BitTorrent, WoW will not function on the SFA Network."

The TSC
100 Human Mage
Just tried to do a dungeon, but because of my 2k world ping, I had to leave because everything was completely frozen. This is the 4th time this week this has happened to me.

I'm on a college server, but I have no idea if its my colleges internet or if its the Blizz servers that are the problem.

I can't play like this. I mean I have to wait 40 minutes for a dungeon que since I'm DPS, only to be forced to either leave or be kicked by the party because they are all frozen in place and I'm frozen in place to them.
Edited by Hikuro on 10/2/2012 5:13 PM PDT
72 Blood Elf Warlock
I have the same problem today. It was first shown in the chat box like : "You have been disconnected from battle.net" and later "You are connected to battle.net" repeatedly. Just an hour later I notice the loot box won't pops up and the NPC message windows has no response.
And it is getting worst that I got discontinued and bumped to log-on screen.

Is that related to the rolling restarts? Or other thing else?

What realm are you attempting to connect to?
Draenor

Around what time are you attempting to connect?
1:00pm-4:00pm (within this range)

What time zone are you in?
Hong Kong Time (GMT +8:00)
90 Orc Rogue
My friend recommended i do a full reinstall, and now the launcher wont even start up. I get error code BLZPTS00002. I can confirm that it does work at multiple places around the campus using the "same" (called MyResNet) network, just not my halls network even though it previously worked before.
90 Human Warrior
Contacted my school's IT. The person I spoke to also plays WoW and assured me that the cause is no where on their end as they keep all of these ports open and do not sniff,shape, or sniff them. He also said this problem didn't occur until the patch in august...
10/02/2012 04:53 PMPosted by Glycerin
Until Blizzard updates their WoW client so it does not rely on BitTorrent, WoW will not function on the SFA Network."
ugh so i guess we are banned...
10/03/2012 07:47 PMPosted by Slacken
Until Blizzard updates their WoW client so it does not rely on BitTorrent, WoW will not function on the SFA Network."
ugh so i guess we are banned...

Thanks blizz!
90 Human Hunter
This getting !@#$ing ridiculous, using hotspot shield i get stuck on loading screens for hours, if i can even get passed them. Why hasnt this been fixed yet blizzard, you have our info, why would you do something to like this in the first place without testing it. You have our contacts and i want some damn results, dont leave us in the dark anymore. It's ridiculous that im paying for this game when I cant arena, cant bg, and can hardly level and thats only because im using hotspot otherwise I wouldnt be able to connect at all. Fix your %^-* blizzard or at least let us know wtf your thinking.
90 Human Priest
Money's in the bank. Blizzard couldn't give a f_ck.
75 Gnome Rogue
I still can't at Bentley University (Waltham, Mass). This getting to 90% and disconnecting started 3 days ago and i have no idea why. There has to be a solution in place because GMs are giving everyone the same talk about what to do troubleshooting wise. It clearly isn't working and is something to do on Blizzard's end...
Edited by Fallcon on 10/4/2012 11:18 AM PDT
90 Human Paladin
The only reason i'm 90 right now is the two days hot spot shield worked, then randomly stopped so i switched to smoothping and have to be dc'ed every 20 minutes. i can't raid like this blizz. the connection has to be fixed. im one of the lucky ones who can every play for the 20 minutes.

Dankorii is there any update whats so ever on this issue? Are they even trying to work on this?
90 Human Priest
10/04/2012 11:16 AMPosted by Fallcon
I still can't at Bentley University (Waltham, Mass). This getting to 90% and disconnecting started 3 days ago and i have no idea why. There has to be a solution in place because GMs are giving everyone the same talk about what to do troubleshooting wise. It clearly isn't working and is something to do on Blizzard's end...

@ Fallcon also at Bentley University. The IT guys provide 0 help. They've told me to reimage my computer probably 5 times and that is the worst solution and doesn't help, also that its a virus, which its not.. I've found a temp solution in Hotspot Shield but the connection is sketchy and doesn't always stay connected. Especially during raid >< (North campus btw)

No answer from Blizzard on top of this is very aggravating.
Edited by Lambie on 10/4/2012 12:12 PM PDT
90 Human Hunter
Since this is a business... and company, couldnt someone contact the better business bureau? that would put a fire under their !@#. Were paying for a service that they're not providing... which is room for complaint.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10/04/2012 11:16 AMPosted by Fallcon

I am at Bentley University as well and have the same issues, issues that weren't present until a few days or so ago. Small world (of warcraft) though Fallcon!
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10/04/2012 12:07 PMPosted by Lambie

@ Fallcon also at Bentley University. The IT guys provide 0 help. They've told me to reimage my computer probably 5 times and that is the worst solution and doesn't help, also that its a virus, which its not.. I've found a temp solution in Hotspot Shield but the connection is sketchy and doesn't always stay connected. Especially during raid >< (North campus btw)

Another Bentley wow player, awesome lol. I will talk to IT as well about the issue to try and put some more pressure on them.

But after running a tracert, it looks like the connection is stopping elsewhere than Bentley's ISP, (attlenet or something like that?).

So it really could be an issue on Blizz's side of things.
90 Human Priest
10/04/2012 03:12 PMPosted by Psychlon

Another Bentley wow player, awesome lol. I will talk to IT as well about the issue to try and put some more pressure on them.

But after running a tracert, it looks like the connection is stopping elsewhere than Bentley's ISP, (attlenet or something like that?).

So it really could be an issue on Blizz's side of things.

I called today and talked to the supervisor (since most of the students don't know what they're doing) and he put a request to the networking guys to look at the ports that WoW uses (specifically the BitTorrent ports) to see if they are blocking or throttling any of them. They are higher up and have access to more data. He said I should get an answer tomorrow, I'll keep you updated.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sounds good. Hopefully it's something they can resolve, or at least give us a VPN that works better than Hotspot Shield.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
To clarify, I am only having issues with certain realms.

For instance my primary realm, Darkspear, causes instant DC in the que and (when I get as far) on the loading screen after character select at 90%.

Otherwise, if I log into Doomhammer, I don't have any issues.

Can we get a blue to look into this?
90 Orc Rogue
I'm home from college for the weekend, and guess what. I'm STILL unable to connect. So I'm confirming for me its not my schools wireless. I'm also on a mac.
Edited by Makrestu on 10/4/2012 11:11 PM PDT
10/04/2012 07:04 PMPosted by Psychlon
Sounds good. Hopefully it's something they can resolve, or at least give us a VPN that works better than Hotspot Shield.

I will confirm that I've found VPN's that work better than hotspot shield.

Try to find one that mentions gaming, sadly the nicer ones are that much more expensive like 10-20 bucks a month expensive.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]