Absorb > healing explanation?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
This thread makes me itch.

Riôt
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
09/06/2012 02:43 PMPosted by Kaels
I'm 100% absolutely certain that PoH was party-targetable 2 days after I hit 80, because that's when I got dragged into a Naxx pug despite my protestations of newbieness and the party-targeting mechanic was explained to me. So that's...June 8, 2009, as a lower bound.

That would explain it, then. I was in the process of leveling Reta at that point, and was in the middle of...well, I've told you, I think, about that situation. Anyway, once I did go back to playing Tiriel, the spell hit for so little as Disc (and took so long to cast) I couldn't see much of a point in using it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
09/06/2012 02:43 PMPosted by Kaels
I'm 100% absolutely certain that PoH was party-targetable 2 days after I hit 80, because that's when I got dragged into a Naxx pug despite my protestations of newbieness and the party-targeting mechanic was explained to me. So that's...June 8, 2009, as a lower bound.

That boggled me, because I remember putting a priest in each group for Lothaeb and this toon hit 80 just a few months before that. It was April 14: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/patch-notes/3-1-0

Disc didn't feel that powerful to me before ICC. I remember quitting a group very frustrated because I couldn't even keep a tank alive through H Gormok's impale. I also clearly remember the day my Flash Heal finally exceeded 5k.

Also, don't forget that we couldn't reduce Weakened Soul in those days. I used to have to Pain Supress a tank just because the paladin was moving.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
09/06/2012 03:40 PMPosted by Marathel
Aw come on guys. The cagefights doesn't start until raiding begins again in MOP.

You ruin all of my fun, Marathel :-P
Reply Quote
09/06/2012 03:40 PMPosted by Marathel
Aw come on guys. The cagefights doesn't start until raiding begins again in MOP.

But if they don't practice they will get fat an lazy and be in no shape for cage matches!
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
09/06/2012 08:26 AMPosted by Aycil
Overhealing is irrelevant until it's coupled with mana issues

Overhealing is also wasted time.

Time casting a heal that could have been spent on something else or someone else.
And mana spent on someone else or something else.

Basicly too much overhealing means that you are not performing optimally.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
As I see it, absorbs are less risky because the damage never happens in the first place.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
09/06/2012 05:46 PMPosted by Kirse
As I see it, absorbs are less risky because the damage never happens in the first place.

The only annoying things, to me, about absorbs are a) the sometimes-wonky way that the engine decides which absorb effect gets consumed first (especially annoying with DKs and Bears prior to the patch), and b) absorbs that don't actually have a visual effect so that you can SEE there's one there (Illumination comes to mind).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
09/06/2012 08:48 AMPosted by Asharian
max out the Spirit Shell and continue to stack Divine Aegis

Don't believe you can do this actually... Correct me if I'm wrong, but DA and Spirit Shell don't actually stack unless you still have the bubble going after the CD is over.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
09/06/2012 09:00 AMPosted by Aycil
Because only disc priests have the ability to drop a shield anywhere near that big, the designers can't rely on a raid having it and will have to continue to factor in traditional tank CDs and reactive healing.

You're kind of venturing into the area of "needing" absorbs rather than staying on track of absorbs being "better". Because what the person you replied to is pointing out is that absorbs are better, not that they're needed.
Reply Quote
09/06/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Fleurs
Don't believe you can do this actually... Correct me if I'm wrong, but DA and Spirit Shell don't actually stack unless you still have the bubble going after the CD is over.

You can /cancelaura when you are finished stacking and then stack DA.

eg: If I wanted both on a tank for impale for example..

My macro for SS is:
/cancelaura Spirit Shell
/cast Spirit Shell
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

So I tap my keybind, gheal x 2, tap again IF/GH and whatever else I feel i need to cast.
Edited by Morenn on 9/6/2012 8:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
Interesting, I guess when you're specifically using SS for impales that would make sense. But I wouldn't typically see much reason to cancel SS simply because it's so awesome.
Reply Quote
09/06/2012 08:33 PMPosted by Fleurs
Interesting, I guess when you're specifically using SS for impales that would make sense. But I wouldn't typically see much reason to cancel SS simply because it's so awesome.

No doubt, and personally I don't use it for Impale anyway as I am of the belief that unless it would be life/death (and it's not) it's wasteful to do it single target.. why do 92k on one target when I can do 92k on 10 targets. :P
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
;)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
people are forgetting that Dpriests still do our fair share of overhealing. Whenever we spam PoH to proc DA on the raid, we're overhealing anyone and everyone who's topped of or close to topped off via the initial heal of PoH.

There's been fights where I just spammed the heck out of PoH almost 80% of the time because we were coasting through. I overhealed the shaman by a CRAP ton larger gap than the actual healing output gap between us.

Granted this is rarely the case, but it does happen. Sure, PW:S and PW:B don't cause us to overheal, but we have several abilities that still can.
Reply Quote
09/07/2012 07:59 AMPosted by Asharian
people are forgetting that Dpriests still do our fair share of overhealing. Whenever we spam PoH to proc DA on the raid, we're overhealing anyone and everyone who's topped of or close to topped off via the initial heal of PoH.

I doubt anyone has forgotten, just that will no longer a viable playstyle assuming you want to actually have mana for more than 30 seconds, so it's not really a point of contention anymore.

That said, yes, disc was prone to higher overheal (intentional in most cases), unless paired with other classes that are also, by nature, high overheal.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]