Unable to solo Stonecore Normal?

86 Night Elf Druid
So pre-5.0 I was able to kill the first four packs in Stonecore normal and then stealth to the second boss and kill the boss with "ease". Now I'm just getting destroyed by the packs, I don't have enough rage to use Savage Defense enough... am I doing something wrong or did we just get nerfed that hard?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
I just did this the other day, though I was using NS + HT instead of Renewal. I just had to make sure and keep SD up and burn stuff down as fast as possible. Incarnation really helped on some of the packs with summoners. I am reforged for DPS and not dodge, however, as I rarely tank on this character anymore.
Edited by Leafywinds on 9/6/2012 3:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
63 Night Elf Druid
Reforging to hit/expertise and crit will help your rps.

You can't Maul with impunity in your rotation as your survival depends too much on rage now. You're just gonna have to find the balance between dpsing and surviving. These solo clears are going to take much much longer now.
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Druid
Super... I actually enjoyed tanking on my druid before, looks like another char goes to DPS as it's once again easier and less annoying!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Uh...
Without cooldowns, I find myself spending the majority of my rage on maul for those packs.

A few things:

Why are you using SD? FR ftw.
Are you pulling those little 4k health adds and not killing them? They're by far the most dangerous trash in there, they quickly stack an armor debuff.
Are you letting the earthshaper change forms and spam his aoe? It lowers chance to hit and will kill your rage generation.
Did you ever think to root the melee adds and pull the casters away? Did you move away when the berserker spammed his whirlwind? Did you burn Milhouse first since he dies the quickest?
Reply Quote
If you don't like tanking on a druid, you will probably not like tanking at all, everyone has that active mitigation style to some extent now. No more just standing around and (maybe) hitting a big cd when needed.
Reply Quote
63 Night Elf Druid
09/06/2012 04:26 PMPosted by Alifer
If you don't like tanking on a druid, you will probably not like tanking at all, everyone has that active mitigation style to some extent now. No more just standing around and (maybe) hitting a big cd when needed.

To be fair, soloing dungeons isn't really tanking per se.

It's just a matter of accepting that the dps capabilities of bear tanks have been drastically reduced and adjusting to the fact that 1) druids have no absorb anymore and will be subject to spiking damage and 2) rage is no longer just for damage.

It's a huge difference from what ferals were before. Unlike DKs who barely notice any difference in mechanics. It's just not as easy to adapt to losing so much dps and the new spikiness of hp if there's not enough rage to AM.
Reply Quote
I guess what I meant was "the playstyle of a guardian druid"

outside of spec/class flavor, the basic concept behind all the tanks is the same at this point, build a resource to fuel AM, and time that AM correctly to survive.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
09/06/2012 05:07 PMPosted by Suumva
It's just a matter of accepting that the dps capabilities of bear tanks have been drastically reduced

You and I have a very different definition of the word "drastic". Before I switched over to stam post-patch (something I'm frankly regretting), it was about 10-ish% lower, maybe.

Speaking about raid bosses in Naxx/Ulduar, here. Some giving as little as 3-4k vengeance :P. Anything that gives that little vengeance also gave piddly rage pre-patch, though, so it balances out a lot.
Reply Quote
63 Night Elf Druid
the basic concept behind all the tanks is the same at this point, build a resource to fuel AM, and time that AM correctly to survive.

Offtopic: Does GC realize how absolutely BORING that is, I wonder. Lots of people rushed to BrM because of the new coolstuff and the ability to use said coolstuff, but with the recent nerf... TROLLFACE!!
Reply Quote
63 Night Elf Druid
09/06/2012 05:16 PMPosted by Ahanss
It's just a matter of accepting that the dps capabilities of bear tanks have been drastically reduced

You and I have a very different definition of the word "drastic".

Well in 5 mans, which is what this is mostly about (or what I'm talking about), my dps isn't as nice as before.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Other than those few fights where cat form came into play (which, in general, have little incoming damage and thus little vengeance), I'm not feeling a decrease in 5-mans either.
Though I'll admit to having spent most of my 5-mans boomkin healing.
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
Am I the only one who doesn't hate the new tanking model?

On easy content I can still play the same mash heroic strike 900000 times a second warrior I've always played.

On anything that challenges tanks, I can actually do something for my survivability besides "Yell at the healers to heal me harder"
Reply Quote
I enjoy the new model, I just wish blizzard would actually take a look at brewmasters and listen to the input from some of the better minds on the forum, and at least acknowledge the math and work they've put into proving their points.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Demo

I like the model on my paladin, i donno about druid or warrior, i kinda ran around for a while on my druid overjoyed for some reason i could turn into a tree in guardian spec for some reason

but i have to admit that it's about as far as i got with it

If it's anything like the other classes get rage, hit button shouldn't be a really hard model to follow..
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
09/06/2012 08:20 PMPosted by Bittermoon
Taking away the Bear's absorb and replacing it with a dodge boost is dumb as it is vulnerable to the vicissitudes of RNG where an absorb is not

09/06/2012 08:20 PMPosted by Bittermoon
This promotes a negative play style, as you can only do offensive moves when you have more than 60 Rage.

So what you're saying is, you hate this new design for classes you clearly don't play?

And I have to ask, whose AoE TPS was actually nerfed? I know blood boil got a major buff, so not DKs.

Anyway, personally I'll have to see how things go this week. For the most part I enjoyed tanking last week. The biggest issue I had was the occasional scenario of having SD down and no rage (e.g. use SD, still get hit anyway, use FR to recover from multiple hits in a row as SD fades). Baseline mitigation was so low that it felt terrible trying to build back up to 60 rage, I felt like I needed to pop a CD while I built rage, spam FR for what heals it could give me, or just pray I got enough heals or that rare dodge that happens without SD up.
Faster rage gen+thick hide change should definitely help that, though.
Edited by Ahanss on 9/6/2012 8:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
09/06/2012 09:45 PMPosted by Feanorion
Hammer of the Righteous and its 20% Weapon Damage says hi.

Not quite.

20% Physical to primary target, 35% Holy to everything in 8 yards. Still worse than what it used to be, though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]