Prot Warriors Stat Priority as of 5.0.5

85 Tauren Druid
Mercenaryz your stuff may work for you, but in the long run capping hit/exp to 7.5% each will prove to work out better. If you aren't, you're subject to the constant RNG of hitting/missing. Do you see casters not hitting the 15% hit mark because before they did they weren't missing very often? No, they reach the cap because one miss can screw a rotation. Timing dots correctly and having it miss and falling off as a result will hurt.

You said your tank you were healing died from a stomp, so let's work with the mechanics here. That stomp should have 5 people in it for heroic(assuming 10man raiding), if your tank got 1 shot by a stomp chances are your healer(s) isn't/aren't keeping him up, or your group is not in range of the stomp(probably the more common issue after the 35% nerf). Is it possible he was Shield Blocking the stomp instead of using the Barrier? Absolutely. Would that have been the death of him? Maybe if he was at 30% or if one-two people were out of the range of the stomp, sure.

Not let's try Ultraxion, he got gibbed you said, as in 100% to dead damage spikes. Regardless of you saying that with or without the fading light debuff that happened, I can guarantee you that was the result of your other tank failing to taunt and also not having shield block up. No way in hell a tank would have got one shot because he didn't have his AM up with no Fading Light debuff on him. Or maybe he didn't even hit his button for Fading Light, entirely possible. But again, he would not have died for not having up block/barrier with no Fading Light debuff on him.

Try other fights too, let's talk about Hagara. If you're eating the Focused Assaults(which there's no reason not to be now), and you need that one Shield Slam or Revenge to hit to get enough rage for a nice Barrier and it misses, you're gonna get squashed without calling for an external or having one of your own. Hit/exp gets rid of that RNG to ensure that your hit will land. Can it still get parried? Yeah, but that's better than also having the chance of it being dodged and missing.

Blizzard said themselves they want Hit/Expertise to be interesting stats for tanks, and I'm pretty sure that's the way it will still be in MoP, especially since you (hopefully) won't be using those strength gems and whatnot anymore due to the doubled secondary stats on gems. For anyone reading this, listen to Gilbert, his backing is solid and the proof is in his posts. Get the parry/exp caps of 7.5%, it'll pay off in the long run with consistency, really.
Edited by Algekevin on 9/9/2012 2:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
@Algekevin -

I am not saying I am against using the hit/exp method it's just that at the moment I don't see the reason why if my moves are not missing, but again, testing this in the current state of content is rather gimping the actual results I am looking for.

As I said on an earlier post that during beta I had my gear forged as it was for 4.3 and was doing fine all the same.

If I find when I hit 90 that my Shield Slam/Revenge starts to miss more often I will gladly switch my stats to that of hit/exp primary but for now I will test my theorized stat priority in this coming week's lockout.

This past week I utilized the 4.3 method before checking Noxxic and Mr Robot and starting this thread.

@Gilbert - (who seems to have a major issue with my theory)

09/09/2012 11:23 AMPosted by Giibert
As you are telling people to stack strength.

How long have you been a warrior? Strength gives parry. So using my...

09/09/2012 10:31 AMPosted by Mércénáryz
But I am recommending the Str>P>D>M>H>E one

own advice, strength gives the stat I am recommending as primary now,

however if you check my armory me youll see that I am not gemming strength in anything but the red/blue sockets (thru the use of the str/stam gem) because in terms of gem choices.

Parry/Stamina & Parry/Mastery give less parry than a Pure Strength gem

09/09/2012 11:23 AMPosted by Giibert
If you are not at the cap, you will miss nearly every hit

09/09/2012 10:31 AMPosted by Mércénáryz
Hits were landing

If my hits are landing fine (which they are) I dont need hit and expertise but rather actual mitigation stats since rage generation is not an issue which you seem to claim that it is.

I am not trying to argue, I am simply stating my theory there is no reason for you to automatically dismiss it as wrong. But simply allow me to theorize as I see fit and you are more in your own right to do the same without being so hostile.
Edited by Mércénáryz on 9/9/2012 3:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
I finally am sort of able to play, wow is installed at 30%. Since I probably dont have dungeons installed I haven't tried to que up. I regemmed and reforged, although there were only a few stamina ones. I did hit/exp to 7.5, then Stamina>parry>mastery>dodge. Seems like what most people are doing.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Str ~~ Parry simply because in Cataclysm, gems have equal amount of Strength as they do Parry (see Bold Inferno Ruby and Flashing Inferno Ruby). After the stats Buff (Mark of the Wild and Blessing of Kings), strength provides around .98 avoidance as 1 point of Parry does, plus the additional AP for damage (and the residual AP from the AP Buffs for Shield Barrier).

However, in Mists, Parry Gems will have twice as many points on them as Strength (see Flashing Primordial Ruby and Bold Primordial Ruby), which will make Parry Gems far more attractive for reducing overall damage. That being said, this is the case for Gems. It looks that enchants are not going the same way, so it could be feasible to enchant for Strength instead of avoidance and still be the optimal enchanting method.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
09/09/2012 03:22 PMPosted by Mércénáryz
If my hits are landing fine (which they are) I dont need hit and expertise but rather actual mitigation stats since rage generation is not an issue which you seem to claim that it is.

With no hit cap, you only have a 7.5% chance to miss. That means most of the time you won't miss. But sometimes you do. Unless you have hit cap. If you don't have hit cap, then you will sometimes miss. Expertise is the same way.

The reason you go for hit and expertise caps is not because of their value in a mathematically projected fashion. You go for them because being rage starved at the wrong time could wipe a raid. It might be unlikely, sure. But it's just like being 1 point under defense cap pre-4.0. You might think you're fine and dandy, you'll never get crit, until the following video happens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmqP1VPZhiE
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
oooh ooh i want in...
Stam>hit/exp>str~parry>everything else

try and keep parry 2.5 times higher than dodge for better DR results.

also
ALL THE STAMS!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
if you have a better stat priority than
stam>hit/exp>parry(str depending on scaling at 90)>mastery>dodge please share it with reasonable proof, not lol at 35% in normal madness i can solo tank just fine....link a log showing us some data which will prolly have to be a screenshot or vid since wol is down.

all you guys trying to derive from whats generally agreed on as the optimal priority are just trying to be forum heroes so you can go back to basic guilds and say you had input in prot wars now you is sooooo good. all you are really doing is creating more bad tanks to make us who do it properly look even better.

btw im in a mediocre guild by my standards, so dont flame me for my achieves as i dont claim to be hot !@#$, just smarter than half the prot wars out there atm
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
stam>hit/exp>parry(str depending on scaling at 90)>mastery>dodge please share it with reasonable proof, not lol at 35% in normal madness i can solo tank just fine....link a log showing us some data which will prolly have to be a screenshot or vid since wol is down.

And where is your data to prove that is the way to go? If you have it link it to prove your point.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
At the moment it's lookin like the 2 main stat priorities that ppl have been useing are

1. Stam>hit/exp>strength/parry>mastery>dodge
2. Stam>hit/exp>Mastery>strength/parry>dodge

as you can see the only real difference is mastery or parry. Which is more optimal? I don't have the answer, but I'm personally prioritizing mastery above parry because, even though my base block doesn't go up all that much with mastery, my crit block still gets a considerable increase from mastery, and as long as I can keep my SB up as often as possible (thanks to Hit/exp) I should be able to see a considerable increase in the amount of dmg I mitigate through crit block

The discussion should not be about whether or not Hit/exp is needed, as that's already been determined. I'm curious as to which stat, parry or mastery holds more weight and why?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
[

I converted from:

Mastery>Stam>Parry=Dodge>Hit=Exp pre 5.0

to:

Stam>Hit Cap=Exp Cap>STR>Parry>Dodge>Mastery

And it made a world of difference.

Just did this. Problem fix'd.

Thanks
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
off topic

what would be the stats priority for a pvp prot trying to maxime damage? and stats priority to maxime survivality?

(edit: /sits on a corner holding his chin still wondering what the answer is... but please carry on! thanks I guess lol)
Edited by Prophexor on 9/13/2012 8:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
off topic

what bould be the stats priority for a pvp prot trying to maxime damage? and stats priority to maxime survivality?

This is entirely off topic and should be kept out of the thread.

Anyway, OP quoted Noxxic as stating Stam first. They say that but then they go and contradict the hell out of it in the minor explanation, and that is they say the stam you have on your gear from DS is enough, and you don't really need to gem for it. I agree with what they are saying in that respect, but I do not agree with the way they convey it. Instead of really telling the reader why the priority is like that they more or less say to do it this way or you're bad.

Anyway, ignoring stam since it's on your gear and most likely at least one trinket, I go for mastery>exp/hit>parry>dodge

I am near expertise hardcap as well as hit cap, total combined is about 20% or so. I have 69% mastery and about 26% parry along with roughly 7% dodge.

Mastery is important as both a rage generating stat and a melee damage absorption stat. I'll elaborate, because I can't recall if it was even covered in this thread;

Yes, the dual roll and DR on the block stat (not mastery, not crit block) is the reason we can't cap CTC. It's not that big of a deal, we just need more rage to stay alive. Keeping enough rage to keep shield block up on melee-heavy fights causes me to crit block quite often, which enrages the warrior and generates 10 rage. It also doubles the block value to 60%, meaning before armor you are taking less than half of that swing. Now parry is nice, sure. Refreshing Revenge is nice, too. Avoiding a hit entirely? Where do I sign up? Well, frankly avoidance is somewhat low, and even at higher levels is subject to such nasty RNG (this part I know was covered) that you can avoid quite a few attacks, and then subsequently miss each Revenge that procced from it if you're unlucky enough. It's spiky. Spiky has never been the way to go with protection warriors, in any expansion. We have always served our purpose best to take the chances out to the best of our ability and funnel damage properly, rather than relying on a random chance to possibly roll the right number.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
I will be testing the 7.5 Hit/ 7.5 Exp > Parry > Dodge > Mastery stat priority later on today when I form a pug. Will edit this with results of any real issues.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
FYI Noxxic updated prot stat priority:

Stamina > Melee Hit (7.5%) > Expertise (7.5%) > Mastery = Parry > Dodge
(as of 2:34pm Central Time)
Edited by Anumesh on 9/12/2012 12:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior

I'm going to hop into my boat, sail up river, and slap the site owner of Noxxic so hard.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I'm not bothering to change up stats.

1. I have no desire to do more Cata content
2. I'm not going to spend any gold on gems or re-reforging gear that I'll be replacing in two weeks
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior

And where is your data to prove that is the way to go? If you have it link it to prove your point.

if youre too stupid to see why hit and exp are better, and why revenge popping for 15 rage is better than a block for 10 rage, i pity your guild....

hit/exp mean you get 15 and 20 rage for your abilities that gen rage vs relying on a chance to crit block out of a chance to block(which will most likely be a lot lower since stat%'s drop always during the first tier of a xpac vs end of the prior)

and why parry>mastery? when i parry revenge pops back up. mastery just makes my chance to crit block better but it is still harder to get as high as parry point per point.

so please think of something clever rather than try and make me put my own foot in my mouth, because ill keep on skipping that and making you put yours in yours instead...
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Not sure if anyone actually read the new ratings post that Thek made on sacred duty for warriors....but i will sum it up for you

(this info below is based off physical damage fights)
Hit and Exp combined should be at 9% (IMO exp to 7.5 then hit to 1.5 to wipe a complete "miss" chance off the table), Anymore than that and you flood your rage (exceptions will be listed below). That will maximize block up time allowed by the charge system of 66.6% of the fight. then parry and dodge will become secondary as to maximize revenge procs (aka rage gain).

for none physical fights like Lei Shei in MoP then you want hit and exp cap to maximize barrier uptime

regardless of everything. I don't know why this keeps coming up, the stats priority hasn't changed for a long long time for MoP and prot warriors. The importance of 1 over the other may have with the change to dodge cap and parry cap and what not
Edited by Ethica on 9/13/2012 10:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
From Noxxic...

Stamina >= Mastery > Parry > Dodge > Melee Hit (7.5%) = Expertise (7.5%) > Crit

From Mr Robot...

Str > Parry=Dodge > Mastery

I dont reforge as Mr Robot says, I simply look at it for ideas.

Considering before 5.0.4 both sites stated about the same information, yet now they are both clearly going in different directions

Which is it?

As usual. ask Mr Robot isn't correct.
Parry for warriors is far from equal to dodge. Parry is better for obvious reasons.
I'd say Noxxic is closer to being correct, though I question why they put hit and expertise soft cap at least important. Misses and dodges= less rage= less shield block /barrier up time. And why is crit even brought up?

Now this is more like it. Makes sense to me.
Edited by Gervasio on 9/13/2012 8:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior

still wrong...a lot better but wrong
http://sacredduty.net/2012/09/10/l90-mitigation-stat-weights-for-warriors/

read that and you will better understand the priority

for MoP right now my priority is:
(Physical)
Stamina > Expertise (7.5%) > Melee Hit (1.5%) > Parry > Dodge > Mastery
Dodge is not that far below parry, the %'s will be way different, but I will raise them equally to DR at same rate

(Magical) Lei Shei style fights
Stamina > Expertise (+7.5%) > Melee Hit (7.5%) > Parry > Dodge > Mastery
I will aim for as much exp as I can to hard cap since avoidance and mastery just about do nothing on that fight. The adds that come out will barely live for 6-8 seconds, not enough to override me wanting to maximize incoming rage for shield barrier uptime
Edited by Ethica on 9/13/2012 10:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]