Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide (5.2)

90 Worgen Druid
LEVEL 90 Raiding/PvE Guide
Last updated 12/14/12

Please "like" ALL the pages of the main guide! \o/
(So they stand out and come up in searches. Thank you! <3)

How to get advice/help
1. Read the entire guide, and make sure that your armory reflects that you have done so (have generally correct gems, enchants, reforges, spec, glyphs).

2. Make a post on your druid (or provide an armory link) while logged out in your balance gear and spec.

3. Give information that is relevant to your problem. Descriptions of your rotation, raid make ups, combat logs, extenuating circumstances... the more you tell us, the better our advice will be.

4. Be polite to the people helping you. Even if you disagree with them, they took time out of their lives to help. Being rude or defensive will make it less likely that people will want to help you.

If you, for whatever reason, wish to contact me privately, you may send me a PM at themoonkinrepository.com. My user name is Eluial and I check there about every 1-2 days. Please do not send me an in game mail asking me to add you as a real ID friend or to find you on your server - I likely won't do either.

General notes
As World of Warcraft is an ever evolving world, all the information in this guide is subject to change. As gear, encounters and game mechanics change, so will numbers and assessments of talents, items, etc. I will be updating this as much as possible when new information comes out, but if you find anything that is inaccurate, incomplete or simply missing, please let me know in a reasonably polite way. I am not attempting to misinform anyone on purpose, but it's very possible I missed something, or even that I just mistyped it, or that the scary real-life-monster has delayed my updating of the guide. Feedback is always welcome, but trolling is not.

To Do:
Continue work on current raid tier tips
trinket rankings SOON™
Advanced rotation tips - DoTs and Mooncatting

Table o'Contents
I - Talents, Glyphs and Symbiosis

II - Stats

III - Gems, Enchants and Reforging

IV - Professions and Consumables

V - Gearing and Rep Gear

VI - Spells and Rotation

VII - Advanced Rotation Tips

VIII - Macros and UI

IX - Current Tier Tips and Videos

X - Frequently Asked Questions

XI - Mists of Pandaria Leveling Guide

Some spec-specific abbreviations I use:
MF - Moonfire
SnF - Sunfire
SF - Starfire
SS - Starsurge
NG - Nature's Grace
CA - Celestial Alignment
AC - Astral Communion

Shout Outs
I may be the one doing the actual writing (and the OCD-esque organizing) of this guide, but this is by no means a one-person project. There's no way I could get all this information out without the help of the greater moonkin community, including people on these forums, The Moonkin Repository and Elitist Jerks.

A lot of people have helped in one way or another, but for me there are some who especially stand out: Tagartou and Cyous, for their countless contributions via conversations, suggestions and (most importantly) maths; Hamlet and Tecton for their tireless work on WrathCalcs, my most favoritest spreadsheet ever; and Graylo for his ever-informative blog. Thank you.

Moonkin Spotlight
I thought it would be cool to spotlight some neat or informative moonkin blog or site every so often (depending on how often I remember to change it).

Do you have a suggestion for the next moonkin spotlight? Send me a PM at themoonkinrepository.com!

Current spotlight:
Who: Cyous
What: Brawler's Guild strategy guide!
Where: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7273267877

For all you chickens lookin' to duke it out in the Brawl'gar Arena, this one's for you! Cyous goes over each fight, including strategies, symbiosis recommendations and more! And apparently there are videos on the way.

Recent Changes
Current patch: 5.1
Complete patch notes: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7922040/51_Landfall_Now_Live_and_Patch_Notes-11_27_2012
Important changes that affect Balance druids:
Symboisis on tanks will give the tank a defensive CD.
Symbiosis cast time down to 2s.
Solar Beam's duration has been lowered to 8s.
Glyph of Solar Beam increases the radius to 10 yds (up from 5 yds).
Gear can now be upgraded using justice or valor points.

Change log:
12/14 - VP gear upgrades, new rep items, crit v haste discussion
12/3 - added more boss strats, mouseover dot macro, moonkin spotlight
11/30 - 5.1 updates & new tank symbiosis spells
11/2 - finished up the MoP leveling guide, started on HoF tips, other misc fixes
10/10 - reworked gem section (again!), started raid boss tips, updated HotW/mooncat stuff
10/3 - updated for symbiosis tank spell changes
10/2 - typos, rotation tips, spell usage, other misc updates
9/26 - some random updates and moonkin spotlight
9/19 - became a sticky!
9/12 - started updates for level 90
Edited by Eluial on 5/8/2013 8:26 PM PDT
90 Worgen Druid
I. TALENTS, GLYPHS AND SYMBIOSIS

Talents
In this section I'm going to be evaluating the talents and making recommendations. For more in depth explanations of how to use the DPS related talents, see the Spells and Rotation section, here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6490460582#7

For the druid talent tree and tooltips of all the talents, look here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/talent-calculator#Ua!

Tier 1
  • Feline Swiftness - Stacks with boot enchant, but this talent + boot enchant is overkill for PvE. You can use a pure +stat boot enchant if you have this talent.
  • Displacer Beast - Useless for moonkin PvE.
  • Wild Charge - Potentially useful in some encounters, but if you use Symbiosis on a Warrior, you get intervene, which can be used in a similar fashion to this talent.

Tier 2
  • Nature's Swiftness - Mandatory if you decide you want to take Dream of Cenarius in Tier 6. Otherwise, still a pretty strong choice for this tier.
  • Renewal - Has a longer CD than NS and is only usable on yourself. If you want an instant heal, I'd recommend taking NS and macroing it to Healing Touch.
  • Cenarion Ward - Could be useful for certain encounters where periodic healing would be more useful than a single big burst heal, since it has a shorter CD than NS.

Tier 3
This tier either has no bearing or will be very encounter specific in PvE. Take whatever you think makes the most sense for your setup.
  • Faerie Swarm
  • Mass Entanglement
  • Typhoon

Tier 4
  • Soul of the Forest - Great for leveling and 5-player heroics. This is a fairly strong talent overall, but the problem is, Incarnation just has too much synergy with other abilities and talents. There may be specific haste levels where this beats Incarnation, though (more on that at later date). SotF *might* be the go-to choice for any movement-heavy fight, though (so long as there also isn't an important burst-DPS phase).
  • Incarnation - All around strong talent. It's great because it stacks with Celestial Alignment and Nature's Vigil (if you choose to take that), and just generally gives really good bang for your buck. Especially on any fight that requires burst phases, Incarnation really comes out ahead.
  • Force of Nature - At low haste levels, these guys are pretty weak. At end-tier haste levels, though, they can get up to 9 wrath casts each, which makes them start to look a lot better. The problem is, though, that they seem to have very strange auto-cast behavior (testing done by Tecton) and will sometimes not do all the casts that they supposedly can. For now I'm recommending not picking this talent for competitive raiding.

Tier 5
This tier either has no bearing or will be very encounter specific in PvE. Take whatever you think makes the most sense for your setup.
  • Disorienting Roar
  • Ursol's Vortex
  • Mighty Bash

Tier 6
  • Heart of the Wild - I recommend using this for 5-player instances and general questing just to have the passive damage boost and the occasional strong heals if necessary. For raiding, it was recently nerfed so isn't as strong as it once was. Stick with DoC (high haste levels) or NV.
  • Dream of Cenarius - The talents in this tier all sim very close to each other. DoC is a rather complicated, and frankly, annoying, talent to get the most out of, though. On a standstill fight it might have a theoretically higher maximum than Nature's Vigil, but getting there requires precision play. For expert players looking to squeeze out the most DPS possible, this may be the route to go. But for most cases, and especially on burst-oriented fights, my recommendation is to use NV. DoC seems to perform especially well at higher (heroic raid) haste levels.
  • Nature's Vigil - This talent is much easier to use than DoC. It also has very good synergy with Incarnation, Celestial Alignment and any on-use trinkets (or things like Synapse Springs). Because of this synergy, NV also really shines any time burst DPS is important to a fight. Stacking CDs allows you to get more out of them than you otherwise could get out of each one if used individually. NV's stacking potential is its strength.

Glyphs
Glyph of the Moonbeast is the only mandatory moonkin glyph.

Other relatively useful ones are:
Glyph of Rebirth
Glyph of Stampede
Glyph of Stampeding Roar

Symbiosis
Symbiosis - 2s out-of-combat only cast - http://www.wowhead.com/spell=110309
Creates a symbiotic link which grants the Druid one ability belonging to the target's class, varying by the Druid's specialization.

Also grants the target one Druid ability based on their class and combat role.

Lasts 1 hour and persists through death. Cannot be cast on other Druids. Effect cancelled if Druid and target become too far apart.

Your Symbiosis button will turn into the spell you get from your partner, so no need for 2 separate slots on your action bars. Your partner will have a spell in their spell book called symbiosis that turns into the ability they receive when Symbiosis is active on them.

As a general warning, a lot of these abilities are different from their parent ability. The wowhead link below provides spell tooltips for all the abilities we both gain and give, so I recommend reading them before making a decision on what you want to take. I've provided a brief summary below the table of the abilities that we get, though.

For a prettier table, go here:
http://www.wowhead.com/spell=110309#comments

Class What you get What they get
Death Knight Anti-Magic Shell DPS: Wild Mushroom: Plague
Tank: Might of Ursoc

Hunter Misdirection Dash

Mage Mirror Image Healing Touch

Monk Grapple Weapon DPS: Bear Hug
Healer: Entangling Roots
Tank: Survival Instincts

Paladin Hammer of Justice DPS: Wrath
Healer: Rebirth
Tank: Barkskin

Priest Mass Dispel DPS: Tranquility
Healer: Cyclone

Rogue Cloak of Shadows Growl

Shaman Purge DPS: Solar Beam
Healer: Prowl

Warlock Unending Resolve Rejuvenation

Warrior Intervene DPS: Stampeding Shout
Tank: Savage Defense

Damage Reduction
Anti-Magic Shield - 5s, 45s CD, 30% magic damage reduction, prevents application of magic effects
Cloak of Shadows - 5s, 2m CD, magic immunity, prevents the application of magic effects
Unending Resolve - 12s, 3m CD, 50% damage reduction and interrupt immunity

Dispels
Mass Dispel - 1m CD, defensive and offensive AoE dispel
Purge - offensive single target dispel

Threat Management
Mirror Images - 30s, 3m CD, threat freeze while active (and they do minimal damage)
Misdirection - 4s, 30s CD, threat transfer while active

Random
Grapple Weapon - 10s, 1m CD, disarms the target (40 yd range)
Hammer of Justice - 6s, 1m CD, stuns the target (10 yd range)
Intervene - 30s CD, 25yd range, runs you to a friendly player and also makes you take the next melee/ranged attack aimed at them

In PvE these are all going to be extremely situational. Which one you use will depend first on what classes you have available in your group, and second, on the needs of your group for that particular fight. In my opinion though, the two that have the most DPS-related advantages are Intervene and Mirror Images.

Mirror Images have a 3m CD, which lines up perfectly with our CDs. Once every 3m you're going to be putting out insane burst damage, and ideally the first time you do that will be at the very start of the fight. So having a threat freeze when you do that can be incredibly helpful, and at the start of the fight allows you to go all out without frustrating your tank and causing wipes.

Intervene is a mobility perk. The talent Wild Charge allows us to have an intervene of sorts by shifting to caster form, but it takes 2 GCDs to make that work. Intervene lets you charge to the location of another player to get to group-up spots or out of the fire faster. And the faster you get to where you need to be, the longer you can spend DPSing. However, I do think if you take Wild Charge, this ability becomes redundant, because you can get a similar effect by just using moonkin charge and positioning your character properly.

Table of Contents: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6490460582
Edited by Eluial on 1/30/2013 2:37 PM PST
90 Worgen Druid
II. STATS

Secondary stat priority:
Spirit/hit/exp til cap > Crit > Haste > Mastery

Why the sudden change? Read more here (in the crit v. haste section):
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6490460582?page=1#6

You should always check WrathCalcs for your own personal stat priority!
http://elitistjerks.com/f73/t130885-balance_mists_pandaria_5_0_guide_discussion/#WrathCalcs

Intellect and Spellpower
Int gives us spell power and spell crit.

Spell power as a stat is found only on caster weapons and some trinkets now. Its function is unchanged (increases the damage of our spells).

Int converts to SP at a 1 to 1 rate. However, int is affected by stat-multiplying buffs like Mark of the Wild and Leather Specialization, so that 1 point of int is actually worth slightly more than 1 point of SP.

Spirit and Hit
Hit rating allows your spells to actually land on your target. For all intents and purposes, spirit and hit are pretty much the same thing now (for hybrid casters). The only differences are that Spirit actually will contribute to out of combat mana regen, while hit gives you melee hit in addition to spell hit.

Expertise also gives spell hit for casters, now. As a moonkin there shouldn't really ever be a reason to reforge to expertise, but it is an excellent option for getting hit while still matching red gem sockets.

You want to try to get as close as possible to the hit cap without going over it (this wastes stats) or being under it (makes you have a chance to miss your targets).

340 hit rating = 340 spirit = 340 expertise rating = 1% hit
Raid hit cap = 15% = 5100 hit rating

Crit
Spells that critically hit do extra damage. With Burning Primal Diamond, our critical strikes do 2.06x (or 206%) normal spell damage.

Moonfire and Sunfire periodic damage criticals have a 30% chance to proc Shooting Stars. Starfire, Wrath and Starsurge criticals increase the duration of our dots (spell school dependent) by 2s (1 tick).

You want to reforge excess stats into crit when possible.

600 crit rating = 1% crit

Haste
Haste decreases cast and channel times of our spells, and gives us extra DoT ticks without changing the overall duration of the DoT*.

We get 5% haste from our moonkin aura and 15% haste while Nature's Grace is active.

In the current tier, for most fights, the 5273 BP (without 4pc) and the 8089 BP (with 4pc) are not worth losing significant amounts of haste or crit for.

425 haste rating = 1% spell haste

Haste breakpoints where we gain extra DoT ticks (assumes Moonkin aura and Nature's Grace):
Base # ticks = 7
8th tick - automatic
9th tick - 228
10th tick - 5273
11th tick - 10289

Our T14 4 set bonus adds 2s to the base time of our dots, which changes our break points
Base # ticks = 8
9th tick - automatic
10th tick - automatic
11th tick - 3706
12th tick - 8089

The ratings you see are what you need to have on your character sheet when you mouse over the spell haste stat. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT PERCENTAGES! Nature's Grace and Moonkin aura are already accounted for.

Break point spreadsheet (courtesy of Tagartou of Blackrock)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtT3sAEBV2QfdEtWeThnVWx4X3NoT29ZRGJjbkxjS0E#gid=0

*The duration does actually change a very small amount depending on your haste, but will always be close enough to the standard 14s duration that you don't have to worry about it.

Mastery
Moonkin mastery is Total Eclipse, which increases the bonus damage you get from being in an eclipsed state (including Celestial Alignment).

Mastery is, for the time being, our dump stat. This means it's the stat you'll use to reforge into other stats to meet various caps.

600 mastery rating = 1.875% eclipse bonus damage

Edited by Eluial on 12/15/2012 8:37 AM PST
90 Worgen Druid
III. GEMS, ENCHANTS, AND REFORGING

Gems
I'm only listing the blue quality gems here, which is what you should be using for raiding. If you think your gear doesn't justify that and you want to use green gems, just follow the same pattern. Also, all the green quality gems have "perfect" versions that are blue quality and have the same stats as the other blue quality gems (just FYI since that's a new thing).

The double stat budget for secondary stats makes a wider range of gems acceptable for us. In general (and especially at non-heroic BiS gear levels), 2x secondary stat is better than 1x int as far as gems are concerned.

As always, if you're unsure whether you should be using a certain gem, you can check with WrathCalcs!

Blue slots:
Misty Wild Jade past the haste break point
Energized Wild Jade need haste

Red slots:
Potent Vermilion Onyx hit capped and past the haste break point
Reckless Vermilion Onyx hit capped but need more haste to reach the break point
Crafty Vermilion Onyx need hit but not haste
Wicked Vermilion Onyx need hit and haste
Brilliant Serpent's Eye JC only

Yellow slots:
Smooth Sun's Radiance hit capped and past the haste break point
Quick Sun's Radiance hit capped but need more haste to reach the break point
Crafty Vermilion Onyx need hit but not haste
Wicked Vermilion Onyx need hit and haste

Prismatic slots (belt buckles and Blacksmithing sockets):
Smooth Sun's Radiance past the haste break point
Quick Sun's Radiance need haste
Brilliant Serpent's Eye JC only

Meta:
Burning Primal Diamond
Revitalizing Primal Diamond

About Jewelcrafting gems - since the secondary stat JC gems only have 1.5x the stat budget of the primary stat gems, as a JC it's still optimal to use the Brilliant cut for your JC-only gems. All your other gems should follow the normal gemming strategy, though.

Basic strategy:
In general, you can just match the socket colors using the guidelines written next to the gems above and do just fine. Use your blue gem slots to get hit capped as much as possible, since all the ideal gems for that slot have hit on them.

A little more in-depth strategy on matching socket bonuses:
Int bonuses - Match if:
Always.
Basically, the raid gear bonuses are high enough that it's always a fair trade to do so.

Spirit/hit bonuses - Match if:
Not doing so prevents you from reaching a haste break point (because of haste -> spirit reforges).
You would have to gem additional hit to meet the hit cap.
You are still reforging crit -> spirit and the bonus hit you get is enough to undo one of those reforges.

Crit bonuses - Match if:
The socket is yellow and you need to use a haste gem for a haste break point.
The socket is blue and you need to use a spirit gem for hit cap.
>>If neither of the above are true, see the "really in-depth strategy" explanation below.

Haste Bonuses - Match if:
You need it to reach a haste break point.
>>If the above is not true, see the "really in-depth strategy" explanation below.

Mastery Bonuses - Match if:
>>See the "really in-depth strategy" explanation below.

Really in-depth strategy:
We have rather complicated stat priorities right now. For crit, haste and mastery bonuses, what you really want to do is find your relative stat values for your current gear set. You can do this using WrathCalcs or another modeling program (Rawr and Simulation Craft are other options).

So say I was trying to determine whether it was worth matching a 60 crit bonus for a yellow socket with a Potent Vermilion Onyx.

RSV = relative stat value
160*intRSV = the value of putting Brilliant Primordial Ruby in the socket
80*intRSV + 160*critRSV + 60*critRSV = the value of putting Potent Vermilion Onyx in the socket

The bigger number is the one you want to go with!

Enchants

Head: No more head enchants!
Shoulder: Greater Crane Wing Inscription
Cloak: Enchant Cloak - Superior Intellect
Chest: Enchant Chest - Glorious Stats
Bracers: Enchant Bracer - Super Intellect
Gloves: Enchant Gloves - Superior Mastery or Enchant Gloves - Greater Haste
Belt: Living Steel Belt Buckle + a yellow gem (see above)
Legs: Greater Cerulean Spellthread or Greater Pearlescent Spellthread
Boots: Enchant Boots - Pandaren's Step or Enchant Boots - Greater Haste
Weapon: Enchant Weapon - Jade Spirit
Off-hand Enchant Off-Hand - Major Intellect

Reforging
With reforging, you can turn 40% of a certain stat on your gear into another stat, with the following exceptions:
>Primary stats (Stam, Agi, Str, Int) cannot be reforged, nor can resilience be reforged.
>You cannot reforge a stat into something that’s already on the gear (but you can have both spirit and hit on the same piece).

Reforging made easy:
  • Go to wowreforge.com and type in your character name and server. Once you load up your character, make sure all your gear is up to date with the proper gems/enchants (sometimes armory can take a while to update).
  • In the bottom left hand corner of the page you'll see some drop down menus where it says Cap#1, Cap#2 and Cap#3. Set
    • Cap#1 [Hit] [Exactly] [5100] over cap weight: [0]
    • Cap#2 [Haste] [At Least] [rating of the break point you want to reach (if any)] over cap weight: [1.91]
  • Where it lists the stat weights, you have to change crit to 2 and haste to 1.91 (basically swap them).
  • Hit the Optimize button.
  • You can change gems, enchants and even your gear itself right in wowreforge to try to get closer to caps or get a more optimal set up.

If you're old school and prefer to do your reforging manually, you want to do your best to convert mastery into haste or hit before you start dipping in to crit to meet your various caps. Keep in mind the best reforge setup might require you to reforge out of one stat only to reforge back into it on another piece of gear.

Note: As of 12/14/12 wowreforge is not recognizing VP upgrades (this is because WoW official tooltips don't recognize them either). Hopefully this will be fixed soon, but in the mean time you can manually adjust the hit cap down to accommodate for your actual extra stats.

Edited by Eluial on 12/26/2012 3:00 PM PST
90 Worgen Druid
IV. PROFESSIONS AND CONSUMABLES

These are simply the stat bonus perks that the different professions give. All professions give extra benefits that can be fun or make life easier, but those perks are not listed here.

Professions
Gathering:
Mining – Toughness Rank 8 - Increases stamina by 480
Skinning – Master of Anatomy Rank 8 - Increases crit rating by 480 (.8% crit @lvl 90)
Herbalism – Lifeblood Rank 9 (2m cool down) - Increases haste by 2880 (6.7%) for 20s (Avg of 480 rating, 1.13%)

Static Gains:
Alchemy – Mixology - Flask of the Warm Sun gives 1320 Int (increase of 320 Int). Elixirs all give +240 more of their stat.
Leatherworking – Fur Lining: Intellect (Rank 3) gives 500 Int to bracers (increase of 320 Int)
Enchanting – Enchant Ring - Greater Intellect gives 160 Int (Increase of 320 Int)
Jewel CraftingBrilliant Serpent's Eye (increase of 320 Int by using 2 JC gems over Brilliant Primordial Ruby)
InscriptionSecret Crane Wing Inscription (Increase of 320 Int)
Blacksmithing – Socket Bracers and Socket Gloves let you socket 2 more Brilliant Primordial Ruby (Increase of 320 int)

Proc Gains:
Tailoring – Lightweave Embroidery (rank 3) has a chance to give 2000 Int for 15s. 20% proc rate, 60s ICD, averages to about 500 Int. Comes out to an average on-paper gain of 320 Int compared to the normal cloak enchant.
Engineering – Synapse Springs: Glove tinker that increases Int by 1920 for 10s, 1m CD. Averages to 320 Int on paper.
Goggles: Camouflage Retinal Armor and 2 Tinker's Gears. Smooth Tinker's Gear and Fractured Tinker's Gear or Sparkling Tinker's Gear depending on your gear. Total stats from the helm would be 1035 Int, 600 Crit and 600 Mastery or Hit, plus meta gem benefits.

Profession assessment:
The leather working bracer enchant discrepancy has been fixed, so all the static gain professions give the same amount of int. One probably insignificant (but still worth mentioning) advantage that BS and JC have is that you can choose to increase secondary stats with them as well. With secondary stats having a higher stat budget on gems, that makes BS especially powerful. JC lags a little behind BS in this department due to the decreased secondary stat budget on JC-only gems as compared to normal gems.

The engineering and tailoring bonuses average out to +320 Int, but both can see effectively higher numbers depending on the timing of the proc and the nature/length of the fight.

Timing Synapse Springs with our other cooldowns makes it worth much more than the on-paper number of 320 Int. Synapse Springs will put any on-use trinkets on a 10s CD, meaning they cannot be macro'd together (or, you can just hit the macro again 10s later). The engineering goggles are very good pre-raid, but they are a worse option than our regular tier helm.

The Lightweave Embroidery should generally line up with our CDs as well, since it's on a 1m ICD. But since you have less control over it you're more likely to lose some of its effectiveness due to an early or late proc, movement, or delaying CD use slightly to line it up with a more important phase of the fight. However, tailoring is a very strong profession and is on par with or slightly better than the static int gain professions.

For high-end raiding, engi is the clear winner, and if I had to pick a second place I'd pick tailoring. However, all the crafting professions provide fairly similar bonuses, and which one you choose is more a matter of preference for most people. The gathering professions are fairly worthless in a raiding environment. Skinning and herbalism give very minor DPS increases, while mining gives a survivability increase.

Consumables
Flask: Flask of the Warm Sun
Elixirs: Mad Hozen Elixir is fine for instances, but in raids you should be using flasks. Plus there's no good guardian elixir for us.
Potion: Potion of the Jade Serpent Time this with heroism/lust and our personal CDs. For an extra DPS boost, you can double pot by using one just before combat starts.
Food: Mogu Fish Stew or one of the Banquets. However, banquets only give 250 Int (275 if you have maxed out the specialization of that banquet), while Mogu Fish Stew gives 300.

Edited by Eluial on 12/18/2012 2:05 PM PST
90 Worgen Druid
V. GEARING AND REP GEAR

Gearing
To check whether a certain item is an upgrade for you, use Wrathcalcs, the moonkin spreadsheet, which can be found here:
http://elitistjerks.com/f73/t130885-balance_mists_pandaria_5_0_guide_discussion/#WrathCalcs

When choosing gear:
>You want to be sure you are using all leather pieces to get Leather Specialization, which gives +5% int for moonkin. Generally speaking, there is not going to be a single cloth piece that is worth breaking Leather Specialization.
>Remember that you can always reforge a less desirable item into a more desirable one.

Crit V Haste
In recent weeks this has been a really big debate in the moonkin community. Evidence is coming down hard on the side of crit, however. What this means is that for the majority of T14 fights, stacking crit and ignoring the haste break points will actually yield better DPS.

At all gear levels you should actively be gemming and reforging to crit. With the T14 4pc you'll want to get the 3706 break point, but this should be easily achievable with little to no changes in your gemming and reforging. Even at heroic BiS gear levels, the 8089 break point is not worth reaching.

So why the sudden change in ideology? Well, basically, for a pure single target fight, a crit set up is going to come in slightly below but very close to a haste break point setup. But when you throw in multiple targets, movement or both crit is going to come out ahead (and this is something sims have trouble modeling). Given how close the two setups are at BiS levels (and below) for single target, and crit's superiority everywhere else, AND then throw in the fact that there are no patchwerk type fights this tier (Feng perhaps comes closest), crit becomes the obvious choice.

Some sources cited (for you skeptics):
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1204273-Balance-T14H-BiS-list?p=19367488&viewfull=1#post19367488
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7004698423#15
http://elitistjerks.com/f73/t130885-balance_mists_pandaria_5_0_guide_discussion/p15/#post2229295

Tier Gear
The 2 and 4pc set bonuses are worth getting, but don't downgrade ilevels to do so. The offset piece is going to depend on the rest of your setup. For heroic BiS, pants (Fear-Blackened Leggings) will be offset. But helm (Hood of Stilled Winds) and shoulders (Eternal Blossom Mantle) can be viable offset options at different gear levels as well.

Eternal Blossom Cover
Eternal Blossom Shoulderwraps
Eternal Blossom Vestment
Eternal Blossom Gloves
Eternal Blossom Leggings

Trinkets
Still no particular order for now. Just listing. I've put the correct stat numbers next to each one, since wow tooltips are horribly wrong right now.
Relic of Yu'lon 965 int/3027 int for 15s, 50s ICD
Essence of Terror 1152 int/5079 haste for 20s, 105s ICD
Light of the Cosmos 1079 haste/2539 int for 20s, 45s ICD
Jade Magistrate Figurine 1079 crit/2822 crit for 15s, 1m CD
Blossom of Pure Snow 1079 crit/2822 crit for 15s, 1m CD
Zen Alchemist Stone 751 mast/4561 int for 15s, 55s ICD
Mithril Wristwatch 904 crit/5082 SP for 10s, 1m ICD

Valor Gear Upgrading
As of 5.1 you can spend Valor Points (or Justice, Honor or Conquest) to upgrade your gear. VP upgrades are done in 2 steps, costing 750 VP each. Each upgrade gives you 4 ilevels on the item (for a max of 8).

There are a lot of factors that go in to deciding which slot to upgrade first (ilvl, likelihood to replace soon, is it BiS or not, etc). However, assuming all else is equal...
1. Weapon because it has spell power in large quantities and it has one of the bigger stat budgets.
2. Trinkets. Their procs are affected, too.
3. High stat budget items (Chest, Pants, Helm).
4. Medium stat budget items (Cloak, Shoulders, Hands, Wrist).
5. Low stat budget items (Neck, Rings).

Reputations
Valor point items now have reputations attached to them as well. The 4 main reputations all have good items for Moonkin.

I've included the justice point items here as well, even though they no longer require rep to buy.

Golden Lotus
Necklace of Jade Pearls
Wandering Friar's Gloves
Mistfall Robes
Whitepetal Shouldergarb
Leven's Circle of Hope

August Celestials
Cloak of Ancient Curses or Pressed Flower Cloak (same thing)
Vestment of the Ascendant Tribe
Boots of the High Adept
Clever Ashyo's Armbands
Ogo's Elder Gloves

The Klaxxi
Sudden Insight Bracers
Wire of the Wakener
Klaxxi Lash of the Harbinger
Wind-Reaver Greaves
Amber Spine of Klaxxi'vess
Amber Scythe of Klaxxi'vess

Shado-Pan
Brambleguard Leggings
Etched Golden Loop
Cloak of Snow Blossoms
Snowdrift Helm
Blossom of Pure Snow

Operation Shieldwall/Dominance Offensive
Band of the Shieldwall / Dominator's Band
Loop of the Shieldwall / Dominator's Loop
Soothing Straps / Bambrick's Striking Strap
Statue Summoner's Treads / Treads of Rejuvenating Mists
Shock-Charger Medallion / Static-Caster's Medallion

Cooking
Individual food gives 50 more int than the group banquets (or 25 if you've also maxed out the specialty of that banquet type), so it will be important to always have a stack of Mogu Fish Stew on you. If you want to cook these yourself instead of buying them, you want to finish the Way of the Pot cooking sub-specialty, with Mei Mei Ironpaw.

Edited by Eluial on 1/23/2013 1:11 PM PST
90 Worgen Druid
VI. SPELLS AND ROTATION

Basic Moonkin Spells
Some of this is pretty basic, so feel free to jump down to the Cooldowns section if you feel comfortable with the basics.

The moonkin rotation is driven by our eclipse bar. The "goal" is to bounce the arrow back and forth, switching between solar eclipse and lunar eclipse. Solar eclipse buffs all nature spells (sunfire, wrath, hurricane, mushrooms) while lunar eclipse buffs all arcane spells (moonfire, starfire, astral storm, starfall); both eclipses buff starsurge's damage.

Our "nukes" (starfire, wrath and starsurge) move the eclipse bar. Starfire always moves the arrow to the right (20 energy), wrath always to the left (15 energy). Starsurge will move the arrow in whichever direction you're going (20 energy). All nukes generate double their normal eclipse energy when you're NOT in an eclipsed state.

Damage over time spells (DoTs): Moonfire (arcane) and Sunfire (nature)
Nukes: Starfire (arcane), Wrath (nature), Starsurge (spellstorm)
multi-target/AoE: Hurricane (nature)/Astral Storm (arcane), Starfall (arcane), Wild Mushroom (nature)

Starfall (spell): Drops up to 20 damage-dealing stars total on all in-combat targets in range (single-target, only 10 stars). This will break any CC it hits. Its 1min CD is reset every time you enter lunar eclipse or use CA.

Lunar Shower (passive): Increase the direct damage of MF and SnF for 3s after you cast either DoT, and stacks up to 3 times. This is one of the tools we've been given to deal with movement DPS.

Wild Mushroom Detonate (spell): Detonates any active mushrooms, dealing nature damage. Also leaves fungal growth, which slows targets that walk through it. Mushrooms are not very strong right now, and should typically only be placed either before combat, during a pause in combat, or on the move. You pretty much always want to use them in Solar eclipse (or during CA) only.

Astral Communion (spell): A channeled ability that will generate 25 eclipse energy per second for 4s, or until you reach an eclipse.

Nature's Grace (passive proc): A 15% haste buff that lasts for 15s. It is triggered by reaching an eclipse or using Celestial Alignment.

Euphoria (passive): Doubles the eclipse energy our nukes generate while outside of eclipse, so Starfire = 40 energy, Starsurge = 40 energy, Wrath = 30 energy.

Eclipse bar mechanics
Whenever you die, zone in/out of an instance or log into the game your eclipse bar will be at full neutral. The arrow will be in the middle of the bar, and will point both ways, like this: <>. This means that you can move the bar in either direction, depending on which spell you cast. Until you hit an eclipse it is possible to backtrack when the arrow looks this way.

If you change talents or glyphs, the arrows will be able to move in either direction, but will keep their current position on your bar (so they'll be <> but will not move to the middle of the bar).

At full neutral, both SS and AC will always move you toward solar eclipse by default, unless you cast a wrath first.

When the eclipse bar direction is locked (the arrow points only one way), you can only go one way. Casting the "wrong" nuke will not move the eclipse bar. (So, if you are in solar eclipse and you cast starfire, the arrow will stay put).

Cooldowns
I will discuss our various DPS-related CDs and their usage here. If you're unfamiliar with the abilities, please visit the links posted so you can read the tooltip.

All these explanations are merely descriptive. If you want suggestions on which talents to take, check out the talents section here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6490460582#2

Celestial Alignment - baseline lvl 68 - http://www.wowhead.com/spell=112071
  • What the tooltip doesn't say: Activates NG and resets the CD on starfall. Moves your eclipse arrows to the middle of the bar, but keeps your direction for when CA expires. If you have Soul of the Forest, your extra 20 energy will be applied after CA expires. The bonus damage from CA is the same as that of our normal eclipses.
  • Usage: Because of the way this makes our eclipse bar jump to the middle, you always want to use it when you're already AT the middle (that is, right after an eclipse). The best "standard" way to use CA is during Incarnation (if you have it), right after lunar eclipse expires. You want to spam starfire, but always use SS as a proc or a hard cast as soon as it is up. If you have any haste on-use effects (trinkets or Berserking), using them during CA is best, since it is basically a timed eclipse.

Nature's Swiftness - talent lvl 30 - http://wowhead.com/spell=132158
  • What the tooltip doesn't say: The main thing to know about this spell is that if you have it in a macro with, say, healing touch, and you try to cast it while moving you will have to hit the macro twice. This isn't really a bug, it's just a technological limitation on instant casts and server/client communication. If you're standing still it will just take one button push, however.
  • Usage: You can always cast NS before a fight starts and have the buff active. It will stay active until you cast a spell that triggers it. Using NS to cast rebirth saves you several seconds if you're required to rez a bad party member. Less time wasted getting them up = more time DPSing. Also, if you decide to take the Dream of Cenarius talent, NS becomes mandatory. Once a minute (should be roughly every other eclipse cycle), you will want to use a NS/HT macro (see macro section) instead of hard casting healing touch.

Incarnation - talent lvl 60 - http://www.wowhead.com/spell=106731
  • What the tooltip doesn't say: This is a shapeshift, therefore it has a 1.5s GCD that is not lowered by haste. This can be discombobulating, so make sure you pay attention to whether your next spell actually started casting or not. Damage stacks multiplicatively with eclipse (and CA) bonuses.
  • Usage: You want to use this at the start of lunar eclipse, along with any on-use trinkets (except for haste ones - save those for CA), and Nature's Vigil (if you have it).

Force of Nature - talent lvl 60 - http://www.wowhead.com/spell=106737
  • What the tooltip doesn't say: For moonkin, these guys auto-cast wrath and entangling roots. They scale with our total haste, hit and crit, and 20% of our spell power, and do not benefit from eclipse. Apparently they snapshot our haste when they are cast (not sure about crit - would be a pain to test), but as before they scale dynamically with SP.
  • Usage: Because of the haste snapshot, you want to make sure you always use them while NG (and any other haste procs) are already present -- otherwise, just use them as close to CD as you can manage. For PvE, you want to make sure to turn off the roots autocast. You can do this by right clicking on the spell on the pet toolbar so that the border animation turns off. ((NEED TO TEST HEROISM BEHAVIOR))

Nature's Vigil - talent lvl 90 - http://wowhead.com/spell=124974
  • What the tooltip doesn't say: ??
  • Usage: You want this macro'd to Incarnation (if you have it) and damage on-use items (see macro section). This is a straightforward damage boosting CD with a nice healing perk attached to it.

Dream of Cenarius - talent lvl 90 - http://wowhead.com/spell=108373
  • Usage: You want to cast a healing touch before you apply your dots when you have this talent. Use Nature's Swiftness every time you can to make that healing touch instant (once a minute).

Heart of the Wild - talent lvl 90 - http://www.wowhead.com/spell=108288
  • Usage: This talent can either be used as a utility option (help the raid with extra healing or tanking for 45s) or as a DPS CD, where you go cat form for the duration of the spell (called mooncatting). The best methods for mooncatting are still being discussed, but the basic idea is that you shift to cat form when HotW is active, and your goal is to keep Rake up, Mangle for combo points, and use Ferocious Bite when you have 5 combo points and >50 energy. For more discussion about how to mooncat, see the advanced rotation tips section.

Rotation

Before Combat Starts
  • Use Astral Communion to move your eclipse bar to be one wrath away from lunar (wrath generates 30 eclipse energy when outside of eclipse).
  • Place 3 mushrooms under where the boss or other relevant mobs will be tanked (this might not be possible for every fight).
  • If you have the talent Dream of Cenarius, cast Healing Touch no more than 20s before combat.
  • Use an intellect potion 1-3s before combat starts (ask your tank for a countdown).

Opening Rotation
Things like ((this)) mean changing state.
X > Y means prioritize X over Y when possible.
For the macros, see the Macros and UI section here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6490460582?page=1#9

Starfall
Wrath
((Lunar Eclipse))
Incarnation ("30s CD" macro)
SnF
MF
Starfall when the previous one expires
SS > SF
((Eclipse ends))
DoC only - Nature's Swiftness + Healing Touch ("NS/HT" macro)
Celestial Alignment ("Celestial Alignment" macro)
SnF or MF
Starfall when the previous one expires
SS > SF
SnF or MF before CA and heroism/lust (if applicable) end
((CA ends))
SS > SF
((Solar Eclipse))
DoC ONLY - Healing Touch
MF when old MF has <2s remaining
SnF when old SnF has <2s remaining OR you're about to exit Solar
SS > Wrath

General Rotation notes
Continue on as above, cycling through eclipses, refreshing dots 2s before they expire or before you exit eclipse (for the eclipsed dot only). Your dots may get out of sync with one another - that's OK.

Dream of Cenarius - Generally speaking, you'll want to cast healing touch at the start of eclipse. This will allow you to refresh your dots at any point during that eclipse, as is necessary.

Movement
We have 3 ways to deal with movement DPS, and they're all pretty weak.

First, if you get lucky, for short movement you can use a shooting stars proc. Also, if the movement is predictable and you know it's coming, you can save a proc to use during the movement (don't want to do this for more than 4-5s, though).

If the movement is longer, you can place shrooms while on the run to detonate when you next get to Solar or CA. This requires knowing where the boss or relevant mobs will be for an extended period of time, though, so it may not work very well for all fights.

Finally, you can use the tool we've actually be given to deal with movement DPS, which is Lunar Shower-buffed DoT spam. Which DoT you spam will depend on your eclipse state; if you're eclipsed, you want to use the eclipsed DoT. If you're not eclipsed, you want to use the DoT that is not eclipse-buffed on your target. So, for example, if I just left Solar and I need to DoT spam, I would want to use MF, so I don't overwrite an eclipsed SnF with an uneclipsed one.

Just an FYI: when you spam a DoT, only the direct damage portion gets buffed. You also still get the period damage ticks as you normally would.

AE situations
For low health, burst AE situations (say things that last less than 10-15s or so), Starfall + Astral Storm is actually pretty strong. Even though Starfall is not technically an AE spell, it still hits really hard and will hit multiple targets, and you can have it running while you use AS.

For longer-lived adds or just longer AE phases, solar is still the place to be, though. If you can have mushrooms pre-placed without interrupting your DPS, then do so -- otherwise, don't worry about them. If you're waiting for adds to be gathered up you can DoT them up with SnF (as long as doing so won't make the tank lose threat), but once they're all grouped up just spam Hurricane, Hurricane and more Hurricane (sounds fun and engaging, no?).

You can always drop an Ursol's Vortex on the tank just to help keep them all together, too.

Edited by Eluial on 11/2/2012 2:46 PM PDT
90 Worgen Druid
VII. ADVANCED ROTATION TIPS

Dot clipping
when to clip both eclipsed and uneclipsed
during CA

This requires maths that I have not had time to do yet... If you're desperate for advice, what I've personally been doing is as follows, but I'm going to put a giant disclaimer on it:
I HAVE NOT MATHED THIS OUT SO I AM IN NO WAY GUARANTEEING IT'S THE BEST WAY TO DO IT!

Eclipsed dot: I clip just as I'm about to exit eclipse or before NG expires, whichever comes first. I then let it expire (<2s left) before reapplying once I leave eclipse.

Uneclipsed dot: If I need to move I refresh it, or if it is about to expire when I'm refreshing the eclipsed dot.

CA: I always clip the old dots and apply CA dots as soon as CA starts. Then I clip them before CA/NV/Inc run out, and they usually last half way through solar that way.

Starsurge Usage
During lunar eclipse (and the transition between lunar to solar) it doesn't matter when you use starsurge, since it has the exact same amount of energy as starfire. It will always take you 8 casts (unless you have Soul of the Forest, then it will take 7) to go from start of lunar to start of solar.

Because of this you want to always use SS on cooldown whenever it comes up between lunar and solar, with one small exception: don't use it as the last cast just before solar. The reason is because how SS affects our eclipse bar on the solar -> lunar side.

On the solar side of things it gets a little wonkier. Wrath gives 15 energy during eclipse and 30 outside, while SS still gives 20/40. Because of this it's possible to exit eclipse with varying mounts of energy.

Without SotF
You want to make sure you cast only 2 starsurges during eclipse, and one of those has to be your last cast of eclipse. This will let you leave eclipse with 15 extra energy while still giving you 7 total eclipsed casts. It'll take you 3 casts to get to lunar from there, assuming either 3 wraths or 2 wraths, 1 SS. Because wrath and SS have the same cast time and using a SS won't reduce the number of casts you need at this point, you should only use a SS in the solar -> transition if it's a proc (to save you some time). Otherwise save it for lunar.

With SotF
If you have SotF, it gets a little more complicated. There are two ideal options.

The first option is you only cast one SS during solar eclipse, and use a second SS during the solar -> lunar transition. This gets you a total of 7 eclipsed casts (1 of them is SS) and only 2 uneclipsed casts.

The second option is to use the non-SotF method, where you cast a SS early in eclipse and then use a proc (or the CD coming back up) to use SS as your last cast of eclipse. This way you still get 7 eclipsed casts, but 2 of them are SS. The problem here is, it will take you 3 casts to reach eclipse unless you get another SS proc (and at this point you really are relying on a proc).

Sometimes the gamble can pay off and you get 2 buffed SS and only 2 uneclipsed casts. But most of the time the tradeoff is going to be between slightly more eclipse damage (the difference between a wrath and a SS) and less time spent outside of eclipse.

Cooldown Usage
Sometimes people are inclined to use their CDs separately, to stretch them out or something. In PvE this is a big mistake. Whatever can be lined up should be, because of the way damage-increasing cooldowns interact. Most cooldowns increase your damage by some multiple, and these things stack multiplicitively, meaning that together they are stronger than they are alone (think Captain Planet...).

This is also the reason why the combination of Incarnation and Nature's Vigil can beat out something like Heart of the Wild (though with cooldowns, your total benefit is pretty fight-length dependent).

So things like trinkets, potions, profession abilities and CDs should be lined up as much as possible.

Mooncatting with HotW
Coming soon to a Moonfarespam near you!

Miscellaneous points
Velaniz pointed out that if you're forced to move while Nature's Vigil is up, using NS + HT on a target in melee range does damage roughly equivalent to a LS-buffed MF. Using it on a character that has some sort of healing-increase talent (like feral druids) should increase the damage even more. This is a nice trick to make the best out of a crappy situation (cause I nerd rage every time I have to move when I have CDs popped).

If you are applying both dots at the same time (which isn't always the case anymore), apply the uneclipsed dot first, so that the eclipsed dot gets a slight direct damage buff from lunar showers.

In the middle of the fight when your CDs come back up, hold off using your starfall on the cycle BEFORE you use your 3m CDs again, so that you can set it up the way you do that the start of the fight (starfall before hitting lunar, then again during lunar, then again during CA). (Suggested by Treespring on the EJ forums).

Edited by Eluial on 10/18/2012 1:22 PM PDT
90 Worgen Druid
VIII. MACROS AND UI

Macros

30s CDs
Cast Incarnation, Nature's Vigil, and activate trinkets. Trinkets used here should be int/SP, crit or mastery. Do not use on-use haste items here (save them for CA).
#showtooltip
/cast Incarnation
/cast Nature's Vigil
/use 13
13 = your top trinket slot, 14 = lower slot
Engineers replace /use 13 with /use 10 for synapse springs.

Celestial Alignment
Cast Celestial Alignment and use any on-use haste items or trinkets.
#showtooltip
/cast Celestial Alignment
/cast Berserking(Racial)
/use 14
13 = your top trinket slot, 14 = lower slot
Berserking is Troll only
Engineers: if you used synapse springs in the 30s CDs macro, you can use an on-use trinket here.

NS/HT
Cast Nature's Swiftness and Healing Touch in one button (you will need to hit it twice if you try to use it while moving). Just be aware that if you macro it to cast one someone else and they are not in range, HT will not go off and you will not get the bonus damage if you have DoC.
#showtooltip
/cast Nature's Swiftness
/cast [@XXXX] Healing Touch
XXXX = your preferred target. Player = yourself, Focus = your current focus (must be friendly) or type in a specific player's name (e.g. your tank).

Focus Swap
Current target becomes your focus, and ex-focus becomes your target.
/stopmacro [@focus,noexists]
/target focus
/targetlasttarget
/focus
/targetlasttarget

Focus Modifier DoTs
Casts DoTs as normal, unless you have a modifier button held. Then it will cast DoTs on your focus.
#showtooltip
/cast [nomod] Moonfire; [mod, target=focus] Moonfire
Replace "moonfire" with "sunfire" to do the same for SnF.

Mouseover DoTs
Will cast your dots on your mouseover target. If you don't have a mouseover target, it will cast them on your selected target. Really nice for multi-dot fights and works with unit frames, too (like boss frames).
#showtooltip
/cast [target=mouseover,harm] [] Moonfire
Replace "moonfire" with "sunfire" to do the same for SnF.

Solar Beam
It's nice that SB is off the GCD now, but it's still hard to fit it in as a caster, because we should always be casting. This macro will interrupt your current cast and get your solar beam in when you need it (NOW!).
#showtooltip
/stopcasting
/cast Solar Beam

User Interface

What does a Moonkin need to know?
There are lots of different things that we could clutter our screens with very easily, as any addon addict will tell you. But there are 5 specific things that Moonkin need to be able to see in a concise and clear manner to be able to make better decisions.

1. Your DoTs! You gotta know their duration on your target, and if applicable, your focus. Timer bars are usually the easiest way to visualize this, but some people prefer icons or counters.
2. Eclipse energy! How far away from procing or leaving eclipse you are, and which direction you're headed, are very important facts to keep track of and will definitely affect all sorts of decisions you need to make on the fly.
3. Your cooldowns! When is starfall back up? Can I use my trees now? What about starsurge? Innervate? The default UI shows this pretty clearly, but if that's not enough for you, there are a variety of options for making your CDs much more obvious.
4. Procs! Shooting stars procs are really important to keep track of, but you might also want to keep track of things like owlkin frenzy and trinkets. You should definitely spend some time thinking about which procs you really care about (hint: shooting stars) and which ones you don't really need to see.
5. Your health and mana! This may seem like a no brainer, but I figure it's worth mentioning.

PS don't forget that you want to be able to actually see the game you're playing, too. ;)

Recommended addons:
If you have any questions about how to best set up any of these addons, feel free to ask.

Balance Power Tracker http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info18000-BalancePowerTracker.html
BPT is a customizable eclipse bar mod that replaces the default one. The main features are predictive energy and a text warning on your screen when your next cast is going to trigger eclipse. I'd say this is probably the single best Moonkin addon out there, and I highly recommend it.

Raven http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/raven
Raven is a (de)buff tracker add that is *highly* customizable. You can use it to track your main buffs and debuffs, as a dot timer, a proc timer, a cooldown timer -- pretty much anything that involves buffs or debuffs, you can see it with Raven. I highly recommend this addon as well.

Weak Auras http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/weakauras
Weak Auras can be configured to show you procs, cooldowns, really whatever you want as a visual and/or audio display. It is incredibly customizable, but can be a little overwhelming to set up if you're not comfortable with addons (though it does come with a tutorial). In addition to your standard auras, you can make timer bars, use 3D textures from in game, and do other really, really cool things (including making an eclipse bar!).

Quartz Cast Bar http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/quartz
Quartz is a highly modular cast bar that shows a cast latency bar, too. It's a classic caster addon that can be used to show a variety of timers for things like cooldown durations, DoTs, debuffs, etc. But the best part of it is definitely the cast bar with the latency bar added in.

Symbiosis http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/symbiosis
I haven't personally used this addon, but I've seen several people recommend it and there seems to be a demand for something like it. It will tell you what you give/get from different classes, remind you to cast the spell, and also sends a whisper to the recipient telling them what they get.

Edited by Eluial on 12/3/2012 4:15 PM PST
90 Worgen Druid
IX. CURRENT TIER TIPS AND VIDEOS

My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/perturbedpenguin
Cyous' youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/cyousxillidan

I am going to start updating this as I experience the various fights. Because my guild only raids 2 nights a week, our progressions isn't always super fast, though, so I welcome any insights other moonkin have had regarding these fights.

The EJ druid forums also have a new thread that basically covers the same thing I'm trying to do here. My intention isn't to copy what they're saying, but you'll see a lot of similarities between here and there. The EJ thread will also contain some discussion about the boss fights, though, so it is definitely worthwhile to check it out. You can find the thread here:
http://elitistjerks.com/f73/t130963-balance_encounter_mechanics_t14/

For the talent suggestions, I'm typically only going to make tier 1 and tier 6 suggestions. I assume you're taking Incarnation, but if not adjust your strat accordingly.

MOGU'SHAN VAULTS
The Stone Guard
  • Talent recommendations: Feline Swiftness due to the fairly constant but randomly timed and short distance movement. Nature's Vigil because of the crazy cleave burst we can put out with 2 stacking CDs active.
  • Symbiosis recommendation: Mage or Hunter for the threat management, because you'll want to pop starfall on the pull, and the tanks might not have full aggro on all 3 mobs. Alternatively, DK or Rogue for the spell immunity can allow you to pop the ice traps if they get to be too numerous.
  • Strategies: This is a great cleave fight for us. Keep dots running on both the targets that are being tanked together (don't worry about the one that's separated, due to the immense damage reduction it has).

Feng the Accursed
  • Talent recommendations: Wild Charge because the movement is predictable, long distance and needs to happen fast. Nature's Vigil OR Heart of the Wild can work well here. If your guild uses heroism on phase 2 or 3, where healing can be intense, taking NV lets you help with healing while you're also putting out insane burst DPS. However, this is a pretty good fight for mooncatting, since it's single target and has phases where it's good (or even necessary) to be in melee range anyway. HotW can also be used as a healing backup, but if you do so, you lose a big chunk of its DPS boost.
  • Symbiosis recommendation: DK or rogue for the magic debuff remover, which allows you to DPS during Epicenter, and to reduce P2 and P3 damage.
  • Strategies: Make sure you use your CDs wisely here. There are lots of things that can prevent you from getting the full benefit from them (Epicenter, running for fires, etc), so keep an eye on the timers. Otherwise, this fight is pretty rotational and is more about minimizing your movement while still avoiding bad stuff than anything.

Gara'jal the Spirit Binder
  • Talent recommendations: meh. Whatever goes.
  • Symbiosis recommendation: DK, rogue or warlock for damage reduction.
  • Strategies: The most obvious thing is, if you go downstairs, make sure you're multi-dotting like mad. Having starfall up downstairs is nice, too. As a moonkin you can also help out with healing if, for whatever reason, your group decides to send 3 DPS down. Otherwise, it's a straightforward fight. It might be worthwhile to go downstairs just before your CDs come back up (though the first time you should just use the right off the bat, as usual).

Spirit Kings
  • Talent recommendations: Wild Charge because the movement is predictable, long distance and needs to happen fast.
  • Symbiosis recommendation: Again, going to default to DK, rogue or warlock for damage reduction. Nothing special about this fight.
  • Strategies: Do everything you're supposed to do as far as the encounter goes while minimizing movement and doing the single target rotation. Really straightforward fight.

Elegon
  • Talent recommendations: Feline Swiftness and Nature's Vigil. This fight requires staying at range a lot, and has pretty heavy burst requirements.
  • Symbiosis recommendation: Rogue or DK! (surprise!) The magic damage reduction helps a lot with the exploding adds in P1, and the insane damage in the last P1. For P1 adds, you can actually switch back and forth between barkskin and AMS (from a DK) to have a CD up for each add. A DK with symbiosis can also plant a shroom during P2 and spread their dots to all the shrooms as they spawn.
  • Strategies: The biggest thing is you can stand right at the edge of Elegon's bubble and simply jump up to drop your debuff. This removes unnecessary movement and DPS downtime. You want to make sure that every single spell you cast (except for pylon phase spells) is buffed by the bubble.

For orb phase, plant shrooms on your side where the orbs spawn, and channel hurricane before they spawn. Let the orbs take a tick of damage, detonate shrooms, use your eclipsed dot and then start nuking. Save starsurge for orbs only, and save your starfall for the last 2 rounds of orbs.

For pylon phase, dot up all 3 pylons on your side (you can reach the far one by standing right next to the middle pylon), and then nuke the appropriate one.

Will of the Emperor
  • Talent recommendations: Feline Swiftness for sure. I think a good argument could be made for either Heart of the Wild or Nature's Vigil here.
  • Symbiosis recommendation: Warrior for intervene! Getting behind the courage adds ASAP is important, so extra mobility is really nice. A damage reduction CD (DK or Rogue) can also help with Titan Gas phases, if that's a problem for your group.
  • Strategies: DoT ALL the things! No, really, do it. Keep your dots running at minimum on the two main boss guys and whichever add you happen to be currently nuking down. But the more dots you can manage to keep up, the better, because with enough dots you'll be using starsurge almost exclusively to push your eclipse bar around.

HEART OF FEAR
Imperial Vizier Zor'lok
  • Talent recommendations: Feline Swiftness - helps with platform swaps, avoiding discs and getting to your bubble faster. I went with Nature's Vigil, but I've seen people recommend Heart of the Wild, and either use it to cat DPS during a disc phase, or to get a super buffed tranquility out of it during a P2 bubble phase.
  • Symbiosis recommendation: Warlock for damage reduction. All the damage is physical, so Unending Resolve is the only option.
  • Strategies: You'll use your CDs twice here: first when you get to the first platform, and second when heroism is used in the second phase. Use stampeding roar to help your group get between platforms, and use barkskin/symbiosis CD as much as possible to help out your healers. For the disc phase, if you have HotW and don't need to save it for super heals, you can go cat form and DPS him while avoiding discs. Otherwise, spamming an eclipse-buffed dot for LS damage is the best you can do (and SS procs, of course).

Blade Lord Ta'yak
  • Talent recommendations: Feline Swiftness *or* Wild Charge - Each has pluses and minuses. FS is really, really nice in P2, and also just helps for avoiding tornadoes and stuff in P1. Wild Charge is good for getting into or out of stacking for Unseen Strikes, and you can also kitty charge the boss in P2 when you're close enough. For tier 6, Nature's Vigil gets the job done, but either of the other two talents are fine (since there's almost always going to be a loss of uptime for NV due to unseen strike).
  • Symbiosis recommendation: Any of the damage reduction ones (DK, lock, rogue) would be fine, especially if P2 survival is an issue, but my best pick for this fight is definitely Warrior. Macroing Intervene to a trustworthy melee is really nice for grouping up for Unseen Strike.
  • Strategies: This fight is definitely rough for us. Lots of movement and loss of NG uptime when he disappears really hurts. The key is to minimize movement as much as possible by using things like Intervene or Wild Charge, and to really keep an eye on the timers. Try to time your CD usage wisely -- sometimes it might be a better option to use Inc/NV during solar than to try holding it all the way to lunar. Try to use instants on the move as much as possible. For P2, help out your healers by throwing out rejuvs and using stampeding roar. Also, being able to use NV during P2 helps a lot, too.

Garalon
  • Talent recommendations: Feline Swiftness - If you're kiting, you definitely want FS. If you're not it doesn't really matter. Nature's Vigil is a decent option here, especially if you're running up against the enrage, cause you're likely to be able to use your CDs 3 times. HotW is also decent just as a passive damage booster, since you'll be multi-dotting.
  • Symbiosis recommendation: Warlock if you are not kiting pheromones, DK or Rogue if you are kiting.
  • Strategies: If you're kiting, you want to use either AMS or Cloak of Shadows every time you *pick up* pheromones. This is because you're likely to get stunned in a puddle (or a puddle will drop while you're stunned) so hit the CD right before the stun goes off. Use barkskin for other crushes. If you're not kiting, you want Unending Resolve from a lock to use for crushes, because the crush damage itself is physical. Use it and barkskin whenever you can.

The basic strategy here is to keep the legs and body dotted up while you nuke the body. If you don't usually run with a high crit gear setup, this is a good fight to consider switching to crit for if your guild is having issues with the enrage. Don't bother chasing down legs to stand in unless it's right next to you (in which case, switch to that leg and nuke it until it's no longer convenient to stay in its zone). If you're kiting, you want to just spam an eclipsed dot and SS procs at whatever is in range of you while you're moving.

Wind Lord Mel'jarak
  • Talent recommendations: Feline Swiftness and Nature's Vigil.
  • Symbiosis recommendation: Most of the damage here is physical, so a Warlock's Unending Resolve is going to be pretty nice, especially in P2. Another option, depending on your group's needs, is getting Mass Dispel from a priest. Of course, the CD for our Mass Dispel is too long to get every single haste buff, so you'd still need to trade off with the priest on who does it. And this will only benefit you for part of P1.
  • Strategies: Rotation suggestion by Cyous: Start one cast away from lunar with shrooms pre-planted. Once everything is in place, Starfall, hit lunar, Astral Storm until Starfall falls off, Apply Starfall again. CA -> multi-DOT and SS on CD (and detonate shrooms). Get to Solar, Incarnation/NV and Hurricane for as long as you can (hopefully the remainder of the phase. Don't forget to use Starfall when it comes back up. Shrooms go under the pack when you're forced to move.

If you have to CC, use this macro and make your CC target your focus. You don't have to be facing the CC target for the spear to work.
    /tar focus
    /click ExtraActionButton1
    /targetlasttarget

Edited by Eluial on 12/5/2012 11:42 AM PST
90 Worgen Druid
X. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Q: HALP! Where did my talents/idol/insect swarm/omen of clarity/whatever else go?!
A: There are a lot of new changes in the game. Please read the whole sticky before you panic about anything new or missing.

Q: Why is Incarnation on the GCD? And why is its GCD so slow?
A: That's two questions, but I'll let it slide just this once. Incarnation is considered a shape shift, so even though it's a omgwowsupercoolbutton, it is on the global cooldown. Additionally, shapeshift GCDs are not affected by haste, which is why it seems a lot slower than your normal GCD (it seems that way because it IS that way!).

Q: What are some good addons or other tools you use to help you moonkin better?
A: For a discussion about addons and what a good moonkin UI should have, see the UI section here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6490460582#9

There are also a variety of out-of-game tools that can help you improve your DPS or get a better sense of what gear to get, etc.
  • Chardev http://www.chardev.org/?c
    An online dressing room. Import your character and play around with gems, enchants and different gear sets, or just build your dream character from scratch.
  • Wrathcalcs http://elitistjerks.com/f73/t130885-balance_mists_pandaria_5_0_guide_discussion/#WrathCalcs
    THE moonkin spreadsheet. You need to learn to use it and love it. It can answer almost any gearing question you have (is X item better than Y item) as well as help you refine your rotation, gemming, spec, etc, and also build a BiS set for yourself. For now, the most updated version of the sheet can be found in main body of that thread (closest to the end).
  • Wow Reforge http://wowreforge.com/
    Is a fairly decent reforge optimizer. Just be aware that while it's good, it's not always perfect. So if you want the absolute optimal reforging, it's always best to double check what the program spits out.

Q: Can you recommend any other moonkin websites, guides or blogs to read?
A: Of course!
  • Hamlet's Elitist Jerks Moonkin Guide/Thread:
    http://elitistjerks.com/f73/t130885-balance_mists_pandaria_5_0_guide_discussion
  • The Moonkin Repository:
    http://themoonkinrepository.com/
  • Graylo's Blog (includes gear rankings):
    http://graymatterwow.blogspot.com/

Q: LOLMOONFARESPAM
A: Indeed.

Edited by Eluial on 9/26/2012 12:20 PM PDT
90 Worgen Druid
XI. MISTS OF PANDARIA LEVELING GUIDE

This is to help Moonkin who are leveling from 85-90 in MoP zones. It is not a comprehnsive leveling guide! For younger Moonkin looking for advice, please check out Lissanna's excellent Druid leveling guide here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/969937119.

OK, so the verdict is in. Moonkin leveling in Panda-land is drawn out and painful, right? Our nukes suck, we're squishy and the eclipse mechanic is just SO BROKEN, AMIRITE? Nope, not even close. Moonkin leveling can be fun, engaging and downright deadly to your foes. Here's how you do it!

Talents
Tier 1 - Feline Swiftness
Why? Wild Charge is versatile, and can be a decent option, but it requires at least 1 GCD to use, where as the bonus from Feline Swiftness is always there. Use a run speed enchant on your boots for an extra fast chicken.

Tier 2 - Nature's Swiftness
Why? Faster CD than renewal, more versatility and healing than Cenarion Ward.

Tier 3 - Typhoon
Why? Faerie Swarm is single target and Mass Entanglement, like roots, break on damage. Typhoon is the superior option for keeping a pack of slavering mobs who hunger for your chicken blood away from you.

Tier 4 - Incarnation OR Force of Nature
Why? I think the little tree dudes can be pretty good companions if used frequently, both for their roots and for their damage. Incarnation is a really good power CD to use if you find yourself in a sticky situation, however. SotF is nice, but the other options are going to help you out more.

Tier 5 - Disorienting Roar OR Ursol's Vortex
Why? Well, DR breaks on damage, but it has a really short CD to make up for that. It can be used to get you out of a really bad situation if you find yourself surrounded and low on health. UV, however, is a better pre-planning option. Typhoon + UV can keep a group of mobs off of you for a rather long time. Mighty Bash is just single target, and therefore pretty weak for leveling.

Glyphs
Glyph of the Moonbeast
Glyph of Stampede

Gear
As before, you're focusing on leather int gear and trinkets with int, crit, mastery or haste on-use/procs. Avoid spirit procs.

There's no need to do full reforges every time you upgrade an item. Do try to stay hit capped for mobs 1-2 levels above you, though (If you plan on doing instances, 2 levels is a good idea. Otherwise, for just questing, 1 level above is probably enough).

DPS strategy
1. Pre-pull: Use Astral Communion to position your eclipse bar to your advantage. There are several options here:
  • 1 cast away from solar. Advantages of this are more mushroom damage, more hurricane damage (hurricane?! wat?! ...it's ok, keep reading). Disadvantage is that your starfall might be on CD and solar won't reset it.
  • 1 cast away from lunar. Advantages of this are you'll get starfall (and if starfall is already up, you can double starfall). Disadvantages are weaker shrooms/AoE.
  • In general, I like the lunar approach better, but sometimes you might be in a hurry and don't have time to AC your bar all the way back to lunar. The reason you start 1 cast away from eclipse is because you don't want to trigger NG and have it be wasted while you're running over to the mobs.

2. Tagging mobs: OK, now you want to find yourself a place where you can tag at least 3 mobs. In the beginning it's best to start off slow until you get the hang of things. 6-7 mobs (or more if they're weaker) at a time isn't an unrealistic amount to pull.
  • Plant 3 shrooms in a central location and don't stack them all on top of each other. You want the fungal growth area to be pretty wide.
  • Find your first mob, cast a nuke at it to get you to eclipse, and then dot it. Then start tagging other mobs with dots (as many as you feel you can handle at once). Make sure you have dots running on all of them all the time (using an addon like Tidyplates can help you keep track of this).
  • Once you have all the mobs you want, hit starfall.

• 3. Killing: The goal here is to keep mobs off you while maintaining DPS on them.
  • Gather everything up, using barkskin if they start banging on you, and run them to your shrooms. Detonate and run away.
  • Once they run through the fungal growth, typhoon them back through it, making sure to keep up dots and use SS procs when they occur.
  • Drop an Ursol's Vortex on the far edge of your fungal growth so that when they get sucked back in they have to run through FG again.
  • Meanwhile, MOAR DOTS and SS procs. Nuke if you have the time to do so. Keep yourself healed with rejuv and NS + HT if things get dire.
  • If you've pulled enough that after the combined CC usage above, things still aren't dead, it's time to start kiting. Use Stampeding Roar as necessary, drop shrooms, detonate and kite the mobs through the Fungal Growth. Make sure you're keeping dots up at ALL TIMES!

4. Oh crap, I pulled too much!
  • Save Celestial Alignment for when things go really bad. Say you accidentally pulled too many, or crazy respawn rates screw you over. Pop CA, Starfall, and dot everything up. If it's really bad, use Inc here too (or trees if you picked those guys).
  • Worst comes to worst, travel form, stampeding roar, or cat form + dash (and darkflight for worgen, shadowmeld for night elves) will save your big feathery butt.

• Table of Contents: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6490460582#1
    Edited by Eluial on 11/9/2012 1:36 PM PST
    90 Worgen Druid
    It was going to be another silly song. Hrmph.
    Edited by Eluial on 9/26/2012 12:17 PM PDT
    90 Worgen Druid
    switching genres...

Don't hide yourself in regret
    Just love yourself and you're set
    I'm on the right track, baby
    I was born this way, born this way!
    90 Worgen Druid
    I just made this
    I know I'm crazy
    But I'm all done now
    So post here maybe
    90 Troll Druid
    I just made this
    I know I'm crazy
    But I'm all done now
    So post here maybe

I approve of this thread.
    90 Worgen Druid
    09/05/2012 05:41 PMPosted by Bootsy
    I approve of this thread.

:D

From the old thread:
    So I have a question to throw out there for some people, so I have Heroic Cunning, RF Will of Unbinding, and Bottled Wishes, I have been using Heroic Cunning and RF WoB, which should I be using now? Would Bottled Wishes be better if used with Incarnation?

The fights I can make fairly firm recommendations would be as follows:
    Madness and Yorsahj - cunning
    Spine, Ultraxion and Hagara - BW

the others, meh, probably cunning just for its ilvl. But since we've never seen a single one drop I have no idea what its relative strengths/weaknesses are.
    90 Troll Druid
    09/05/2012 05:50 PMPosted by Eluial
    the others, meh, probably cunning just for its ilvl. But since we've never seen a single one drop I have no idea what its relative strengths/weaknesses are.

Great for AOE
    Not so much single-target
    90 Troll Druid
    Didn't they increase the post limit to be huge? I hope that balance doesn't get so complex that we need 15 posts to describe everything.
    Edited by Tagartou on 9/6/2012 5:21 AM PDT
    Edit: deleting these links because my rendition of Eluial's and Cyous's rotation is in this thread now. =)
    Edited by Phaydre on 9/6/2012 1:37 PM PDT
    This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]