Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide (5.2)

90 Troll Druid
What is everyone's personal approach to Mel'jarak? I'm in a 10m and we're still on normal. I've attempted this encounter doing multiple strategies but still find myself near the bottom of the charts on DPS. I'm usually top on most fights, so I'm wondering if anyone has some insight on what's the best way to do this fight is.

Btw, I am designated to keep an add cc'd =/

Start Pre-Lunar, Starfall, Lunar Eclipse, Astral Storm til Starfall falls off, Apply Starfall again. CA -> multi-DOT and SS on CD, push Solar, Hurricane+Incarnation for a few minutes.
Edited by Cyous on 12/3/2012 10:41 PM PST
I take it we still want MH/OH than a 2H weapon?
90 Troll Druid
12/04/2012 12:34 AMPosted by Milkros
I take it we still want MH/OH than a 2H weapon?

Preferably, yes.
90 Worgen Druid
What is everyone's personal approach to Mel'jarak? I'm in a 10m and we're still on normal. I've attempted this encounter doing multiple strategies but still find myself near the bottom of the charts on DPS. I'm usually top on most fights, so I'm wondering if anyone has some insight on what's the best way to do this fight is.

Start Pre-Lunar, Starfall, Lunar Eclipse, Astral Storm til Starfall falls off, Apply Starfall again. CA -> multi-DOT and SS on CD, push Solar, Hurricane+Incarnation for a few minutes.

Also, if you don't have this already, make a macro

/tar focus
/click ExtraActionButton1
/targetlasttarget

And make your CC target your focus. You don't have to be facing the target for the spear to work. Position yourself so you're always in range of your target (not too hard, has a big range). This will save a lot of downtime in terms of CCing.
90 Troll Druid
12/05/2012 11:36 AMPosted by Eluial
And make your CC target your focus. You don't have to be facing the target for the spear to work. Position yourself so you're always in range of your target (not too hard, has a big range). This will save a lot of downtime in terms of CCing.

lol10mans. making druids CC.

...they make me mass dispel :(
90 Worgen Druid
12/05/2012 12:27 PMPosted by Cyous

I was doing that, too, in addition to CCing. Then we realized that our priest can actually cover every dispel, so I was like lolunendingresolveplz.
90 Troll Druid
12/05/2012 01:13 PMPosted by Eluial

I was doing that, too, in addition to CCing. Then we realized that our priest can actually cover every dispel, so I was like lolunendingresolveplz.

"Cyous, Mass Dispel"
"Can't"
"Why not?"
"Don't have it"
"Why not?"
"Priest DC'd."
90 Troll Druid

I did a decent amount of research on this fight. I've concluded that if you're CC'ing more than 3 targets, Hurricane/Astral Storm wasn't worth it and that you're better off multi-dotting.
90 Troll Druid
12/05/2012 08:07 PMPosted by Gretçhen
I did a decent amount of research on this fight. I've concluded that if you're CC'ing more than 3 targets, Hurricane/Astral Storm wasn't worth it and that you're better off multi-dotting.

Parses.
Math.

Need proof. Because all the top parses use Hurricane/Astral Storm spam.
Edited by Cyous on 12/5/2012 8:30 PM PST
90 Worgen Druid
12/05/2012 08:07 PMPosted by Gretçhen

You're probably talking about 10m? Because in 25m there's no way it's worth it to multidot.

Looking at the top 10m normal parses, the #1 guy, who beat out #2 by around 8k DPS, starts off with our normal single target opener, with the exception that he casts 1 astral storm as soon as he hits lunar. Then he starts multidotting and using SS, hits CA, continues to do so until solar. At solar he starts hurricane spam, interrupts it briefly for some multidotting (not sure why here, possibly because he had to move or something) and then continues on to hurricane spam til the end of P1.

Hurricane is 23.3% of his damage. Starfire actually comes next at 16%, with SnF and MF at 15.7% and 13% respectively.

The #2 guy's top 3 breakdown is SnF (17.2%), MF (16.5%) and Hurricane (15.6%). Like I said, he was 8k below the #1 guy.

It's hard to break down their parses very much, because one is in german and the other is in russian, but even for 10m it looks like hurricane spam is the way to go, apart from the opener.
90 Troll Druid
So I caved and went with a full crit build. I tried it a few times before at lower ilevels with "meh" success, but I think it's time to give it another shot. I have a couple questions regarding dots with lower haste levels, though...

With my haste build (5273) dots aligned with Eclipses wonderfully. I generally had to reapply after triggering Eclipse, and nuked so quick that I was able to each the next Eclipse roughly when they dropped off, making applications easy.

I tested crit again, on both a dummy and LFR, and my dots seemed... weird. Regarding the rotation post-cooldowns, I apply SF -> MF after hitting Lunar, nuke as normal, and find that my nukes are slow enough that Sunfire sometimes wears off as I'm exiting Lunar, or shortly after. The same seems to happen with MF while exiting Solar.

So for question #1, is it worth clipping the un-eclipsed dot before exiting Eclipse (assuming it's going to wear off then, and still benefits from NG), or just let it fall off for 4-6 seconds and book it to the next Eclipse?

Question #2; application. Whenever I browse random (crit) moonkin videos, I see a lot of them immediately clipping the un-uclipsed dot with the Eclipsed one the second they trigger Eclipse. I have not been doing this with my haste build due to what I explained up above. Am I supposed to be using this clipping method now, instead of reapplying after it expires? I get the idea behind it (crits -> extension), but I figured I'd ask before I start messing with my rotation.

P.S.- We got heroic Elegon down since my last HALP post, after a string of bad luck regarding the holiday and what not. With gear, the orbs became stupid easy for me. We got up to 7 per phase if I recall, and I didn't need much assistance!
Edited by Tree on 12/7/2012 5:25 AM PST
90 Troll Druid
With a Crit build, don't refresh non-Eclipsed DOTs if you'll reach the next Eclipse within 8 seconds. I'm reapplying Moonfire in Solar Eclipse generally at the 35-50 energy mark. You never ever, ever clip an Eclipsed DOT with a non-Eclipsed DOT. You also want to Starsurge on cooldown, unless within 1 cast of an Eclipse, with 4 DOTs rolling (personal experience findings). Single-target is more of your usual Eclipse cycling spellcasting.

The goal of a Crit build to to make Solar Eclipse last as short as possible, hopefully through Starsurge procs (Single-target). Believe me, when you're seeing 4 Starsurges in back-to-back Solar Eclipses, you're going to smile.
Edited by Cyous on 12/7/2012 7:01 AM PST
90 Worgen Druid
Just went through the BiS list and changed a few things around. The crit vs. haste BP build discussion pretty much fizzles out now. Should be a lot less division among chickens.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1204273-Balance-T14H-BiS-list?p=19367488&viewfull=1#post19367488
90 Worgen Druid
Just went through the BiS list and changed a few things around. The crit vs. haste BP build discussion pretty much fizzles out now. Should be a lot less division among chickens.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1204273-Balance-T14H-BiS-list?p=19367488&viewfull=1#post19367488

Amazing. Single handedly averted Moonkin War I.

No, but in all seriousness, thank you. That's awesome.
90 Worgen Druid
:o

What happened to the "where did I go wrong" thread?

(Well, I know what happened -- it got deleted. WAI, though?)
is there a new addon on you guys are using now that BPT is out of date and bugged because i cant find a good one
90 Troll Druid
12/10/2012 02:50 PMPosted by Primalfears
is there a new addon on you guys are using now that BPT is out of date and bugged because i cant find a good one

Bugged? Works fine for me. Just Load Out-of-Date addons.
it will show the bar going the wrong way on me and estimate it going the wrong way it gets annoying
90 Troll Druid
12/11/2012 12:20 AMPosted by Primalfears
it will show the bar going the wrong way on me and estimate it going the wrong way it gets annoying

Maybe you should update it? That was fixed many weeks ago. If the bug does occur, you should know which direction you're going along with being able to do simple math "I'm spamming Starfire, cost: 20, I'm currently at 60 Energy; after this cast, I'm at 40 Energy." I haven't had it bug out since the update a few weeks ago, regardless.
last night i got the elite dagger from protectors and after doing some wrathcalcs with it i came out with more dps then the sha touched mace from grand emp us this dagger gonna be BiS from heroics as well because i would feel silly not using a sha touch weapon when all the other classes do
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]