Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide (5.2)

I know this is a PvE guide, but I can't find a up-to-date PvP guide anywheres >.<.

So I'm just wondering if any of you happen to know the stat prio~ for PvP. Is it the same/similar to PvE orr ...?

There is a PvP guide for 5.0.4 here:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6489880514
90 Worgen Druid
/stopcasting
/cast Starsurge

I have seen it proc 2-3 times in a row, and SS obviously hits a lot harder than both Starfire and Wrath, so it would make more sense for me to interrupt that long Starfire/Wrath cast to use SS. Until now I have just been moving to interrupt myself, and that takes 2 clicks, whereas this would take one.

This is actually a really bad idea. Yes, SS hits like a truck, but interrupting a cast to use it negates part of its strength. By interrupting a cast, the time you spent on that cast does 0 damage. So every time you interrupt a wrath or SF 1s, 1.5, .5, .4, whatever seconds into it, that time is completely wasted. Do that enough and it starts to add up. You're much better off completing the cast and then using SS, even if it sometimes results in a wasted proc (say because you get one in the time you were casting the other nuke).

09/07/2012 05:56 AMPosted by Phaydre
Are there any obvious-to-you macros you could share that might be not-so-obvious to those less experienced with the spec?

#showtooltip
/stopcasting
/cast Solar Beam

#showtooltip
/cast [nomod] Moonfire; [mod, target=focus] Moonfire
(and the same thing for sunfire)

#showtooltip
/cast [combat] Rebirth; Revive

and focus macros for all my CCs. That's pretty much all I use for moonkin.
90 Troll Druid
I find this to be necessary to maximize CA+DOTs
#showtooltip Celestial Alignment
/use 13 -- remove if unneeded
/use 14 -- remove if unneeded
/cast Celestial Alignment
/cast Berserking(Racial) -- remove if unneeded
/cast Moonfire
Edited by Cyous on 9/7/2012 5:00 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Druid
Is Nature's Grace still on a one minute cooldown? Like, if you were staying in an eclipse, and it had been over a minute since you entered it and you still hadn't left, would casting moonfire or sunfire give us the NG buff again? Or does the buff only come when we first enter an eclipse, and there is no way to get it again unless you reach the other eclipse?
09/07/2012 07:50 PMPosted by Ilithina
Is Nature's Grace still on a one minute cooldown? Like, if you were staying in an eclipse, and it had been over a minute since you entered it and you still hadn't left, would casting moonfire or sunfire give us the NG buff again? Or does the buff only come when we first enter an eclipse, and there is no way to get it again unless you reach the other eclipse?

No way to get it until you reach your next eclipse

http://mop.wowhead.com/spell=16886
"You gain 15% spell haste each time you trigger an Eclipse."
Eluial, your rez/brez macro works like mine, but in much simpler coding. lol

Cyous, yeah I created that macro after I saw it in your rotation post. It's a good idea; I just have to stop myself from casting Moonfire because the macro had already done it for me. lol
90 Troll Druid
Eluial, your rez/brez macro works like mine, but in much simpler coding. lol

Cyous, yeah I created that macro after I saw it in your rotation post. It's a good idea; I just have to stop myself from casting Moonfire because the macro had already done it for me. lol

Be careful using it after a Starsurge proc, as you may pop the macro, but Moonfire didnt go off due to the GCD.
90 Troll Druid
08/30/2012 02:12 PMPosted by Phaydre
Starfall resets upon entering Lunar eclipse, so that means you don’t have to hold off on casting it anymore until you’re in Lunar eclipse.

There is one exception to this. On a patchwerk, you want to hold back on casting the starfall you get in the Lunar eclipse before you pop your 2nd set of cooldowns. You will use this starfall once 1 cast away from lunar, cast wrath/starsurge (is it better to proc lunar with ss just to avoid having to cast another god-awful wrath?) and then fall into your cooldown rotation.

This should then play out exactly like the intial 25 second burst window for us. The reason for this is because it causes that starfall you save to be buffed by incarnation and Nature's Vigil if you take it, as well as your 2nd volcanic potion (2nd set of cds is when you will use your next pot in a patchwerk).
Edited by Velaniz on 9/9/2012 1:40 AM PDT
85 Night Elf Druid
Edited by Iollan on 10/1/2012 3:43 PM PDT
Ok people keep posting the sim website showing that Boomkin is really close to last in the rankings, so I looked a little closer at the stats on the gear of the tester. If I understand it correctly, our 5th dot tick comes into play at 4614 Haste, and the tester's Haste was at 4771.

Is it worth striving for that extra dot tick, or should the tester take another 750 Haste off their gear (bracers, legs, and back,) turn it into Crit, and see what happens? It might not put us in the top 5, but could it possibly take us up a couple notches?

http://www.simulationcraft.org/504/Raid_T14H.html
Edited by Phaydre on 9/14/2012 12:28 PM PDT
90 Troll Druid
I've stopped worrying about those sims. They are an easy thing to freak out over. But they aren't a good tool for comparing specs and classes to each other. I know from first hand experience now that we are kinda awesome late tier. And I believe lappe when he says that he's dominating meters in all of T14 even in the latest build(essentially the live build).
90 Troll Druid
Hmm, I wonder if we'll have higher stats in mop end game than we currently do. Imagine if we had wrath-like stats with our current build.
Edited by Velaniz on 9/11/2012 1:44 AM PDT
90 Troll Druid
09/11/2012 01:42 AMPosted by Velaniz
Hmm, I wonder if we'll have higher stats in mop end game than we currently do. Imagine if we had wrath-like stats with our current build.
That would be fun, but we did have an extra tier in wrath.

I imagine we will have higher crit/mastery though because hopefully gear will be optimized for our new priorities, unlike now where we had to make do with current gear which is loaded with haste/spirit.
90 Troll Druid
Liked and requested sticky.
90 Tauren Druid
So. I'm still not BiS, so I'm hoping to get some feedback from those who are. I'm getting better numbers by reforging to haste and only throwing up eclipsed dot as I enter eclipse and hardcasting. I'm getting 2-4k higher dps on dummies every time, in 3 minute tests. If anyone else could give this a shot and let me know, that would be great.
90 Worgen Druid
09/11/2012 12:51 PMPosted by Bubbageo
So. I'm still not BiS, so I'm hoping to get some feedback from those who are. I'm getting better numbers by reforging to haste and only throwing up eclipsed dot as I enter eclipse and hardcasting. I'm getting 2-4k higher dps on dummies every time, in 3 minute tests. If anyone else could give this a shot and let me know, that would be great.

By doing that you're effectively shortening your cycle period (I assume you're not refreshing/clipping dots before leaving eclipse either), which gives you more eclipse and NG uptime (at the cost of the extra dot damage). In short tests that has the potential to come out ahead. It might even be a good strategy for things like 5 man instance bosses (or loltraxion). In the long run, though, I suspect using both dots every cycle will still come out ahead.

3 mins is a fairly short test run, too. I know it's convenient because it's one round of cooldowns, but the longer you go, the more the RNG bumps get smoothed out. Using dummy DPS for gauging a max-DPS rotation is sketchy at best, but the longer you can run the test for, the better it gets for comparison purposes (still not really all that great, though). I'd suggest at least 10m runs.
85 Night Elf Druid
Dragon Soul is meaningless now, but has anyone else tried using the balance chest piece (forge: spirit->crit)?
90 Worgen Druid
09/11/2012 04:20 PMPosted by Lazerchicken
Dragon Soul is meaningless now, but has anyone else tried using the balance chest piece (forge: spirit->crit)?

Haven't tried it because it won't drop, but if you have it, and you care enough, it is a better option than the resto one now. The other valor cloak is something else you can swap out if you want to try to min/max.
86 Tauren Druid
hi all

just so im clear if im getting this correct:

Astral Communion till one Wrath away from Lunar
Cast Starfall> Wrath> Starfall> Incarnation
Cast Starfire spam till Solar
Cast Celestial Alignment> Starfall> Sunfire> Moonfire> Wrath till Lunar
I spam Starfire if Nature's Grace procs and im in Solar and i spam Moonfire if procced in Lunar
if not in Nature's Grace i keep all dots up and spam Wrath to Lunar and Starfall repeating basic rotation
If im moving and im in Lunar i spam Moonfire on the move and Starfire if im in Solar?

im sure im butchering this but i'm sure im close to getting the hang of it.
Edited by Savager on 9/11/2012 6:08 PM PDT
hi all

just so im clear if im getting this correct:

Astral Communion till one Wrath away from Lunar
Cast Starfall> Wrath> Starfall> Incarnation
Cast Starfire spam till Solar
Cast Celestial Alignment> Starfall> Sunfire> Moonfire> Wrath till Lunar
I spam Starfire if Nature's Grace procs and im in Solar and i spam Moonfire if procced in Lunar
if not in Nature's Grace i keep all dots up and spam Wrath to Lunar and Starfall repeating basic rotation
If im moving and im in Lunar i spam Moonfire on the move and Starfire if im in Solar?

im sure im butchering this but i'm sure im close to getting the hang of it.

Corrections:
Don't cast Starfall until the previous one has worn off.
Cast Incarnation as soon as you enter Lunar eclipse.
While you're buffed with Incarnation, cast Starfire, not Wrath, because Starfire hits a lot harder.
Cast Celestial Alignment right after you leave eclipse. (It empties out your energy bar anyway.)
Again, cast Starfire while buffed with CA because it hits harder than Wrath.
Only cast Moonfire when you have Celestial Alignment going because it applies both MF and SF.
There is no "if" Nature's Grace procs. It automatically procs when you enter eclipse.
Keep both dots up all the time because dot crits may proc Starsurge reset.
Make sure you overwrite an uneclipsed dot with an eclipsed one, and don't overwrite an eclipsed dot with an uneclipsed one.

Edit: I was going to say: Make sure you reforge out of some of that Haste. 2470 is way too much now. Aim for 1589 Haste and reforge as much stats as you can to Crit, then Mastery if you can't do Crit. However, you have done your reforging. How in the world do you have that much Haste even after reforging?? lol
Edited by Phaydre on 9/11/2012 6:29 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]