Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide (5.2)

100 Troll Druid
Great post. As far as addons go Elvui does all of them you recommended in 1 addon including a ton of other things. I highly recommend it.
90 Worgen Druid
09/18/2012 07:36 PMPosted by Cyous
I'm not a fan of exporting UI's for a single reason. I have my own needs of what I want to see. Regardless of that, it's a clean UI.

Same. I was more just using her UI to showcase the awesomeness that is weakauras.

09/19/2012 05:15 AMPosted by Lissanna
I'll put in a sticky request for this one and the PvP one when I have time this week.

Just sent the email a few mins before I saw this. lol
Thanks! <3

edit:
Great post. As far as addons go Elvui does all of them you recommended in 1 addon including a ton of other things. I highly recommend it.

Thanks!

My goal in the UI section is more to cover the basics that help moonkin be better moonkin. There are lots of very nice, clean addon packages and stuff out there, it's true. But I'm more focused on the things that specifically pertain to moonkining for the purposes of this guide.
Edited by Eluial on 9/19/2012 10:38 AM PDT
90 Troll Druid
09/19/2012 05:15 AMPosted by Lissanna
I'll put in a sticky request for this one and the PvP one when I have time this week.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think the PvP guide deserves a sticky just yet. It's one thing to make a guide about PvE, as you don't rely on others (for the vast majority of an average encounter) to do your job. Since there are a few new spells on the way to lvl90, also, information pertaining to 4.3 in a 5.x guide =/= good.
100 Troll Druid
I know that this is extremely off-topic...but El, you weren't one of the Alliance that killed me when my guild stormed the Dark Portal in our last raid of the expansion drunkeness were you? we showed up and there were about 100 korgath alliance
90 Worgen Druid
09/19/2012 11:10 PMPosted by Tagartou
I know that this is extremely off-topic...but El, you weren't one of the Alliance that killed me when my guild stormed the Dark Portal in our last raid of the expansion drunkeness were you? we showed up and there were about 100 korgath alliance

I wasn't participating, but I think I saw what you're talking about. I was leveling my warrior, so I ported to the blasted lands to go through the portal and there were just tons of corpses and stuff everywhere. I panicked for a moment before I realized the only living characters I could see were all green, so I just mounted up and went on my way :P

After which I proceeded to get ganked repeatedly by some annoying-!@# 85 priest.
90 Worgen Druid
So. ANGRY!

Just typed up a whole bunch of rotation stuff, hit the preview button to see what it looked like and it took me to the battle.net log in page. Well, something like that has happened before. No worries, just hit the back button and the text is usually still there. Except this time it wasn't. So I navigate back to the main forums, pissed off but ready to log back in and just type it all up again when I see that I'm not even logged off. WTF! YOU JUST DELETED ALL MY WORK FOR NO REASON YOU STUPID FORUMS!

ok, I feel better now. Well, no, I actually don't. Damnit.
Edited by Eluial on 9/20/2012 3:03 PM PDT
100 Troll Druid
So. ANGRY!

Just typed up a whole bunch of rotation stuff, hit the preview button to see what it looked like and it took me to the battle.net log in page. Well, something like that has happened before. No worries, just hit the back button and the text is usually still there. Except this time it wasn't. So I navigate back to the main forums, pissed off but ready to log back in and just type it all up again when I see that I'm not even logged off. WTF! YOU JUST DELETED ALL MY WORK FOR NO REASON YOU STUPID FORUMS!

ok, I feel better now. Well, no, I actually don't. Damnit.
Aww...:(
Have a (#)
90 Night Elf Druid

Aww...:(
Have a (#)

get em
85 Worgen Druid
Okay, two part post. Hope this is the right place for it. I've never really played Balance before but I'm looking at it for MOP.

Questions:

1. Assume i cast the wrong nuke, but notice that it's the wrong nuke around 0.5-1s into the cast. Is it a DPS loss to cancel the cast and recast the correct nuke?

2. Assume my DoT expires right before a relevant Eclipse. Is it a DPS loss to hit Eclipse first, then refresh the DoT?

3. Should I attempt to time DoT refreshes with trinkets? If so, how many seconds can I wait?

-----

Anyone mind going through one more level 85 parse? My DPS seems low, so I went back and recorded a parse in LFR.

Parse: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/tvcn2mnneag1g50o/sum/damageDone/?s=2236&e=2483

So far my only takeaway is that my DoT uptimes need to be about 5 points higher.

I'd like: Feedback on my rotation and any other gameplay tips people have.
I don't like: feedback on gear/gemming/reforging. I can spreadsheet that, but right now I just don't care because the expansion is in a few days.
90 Troll Druid
Classes

•Druid

•Starfire damage has been increased by approximately 3%.
•Starsurge damage has been increased by approximately 3%.
•Wrath damage has been increased by approximately 9%.

Huzzah! Likely a result of them realising we had been balanced around a bug that gave us insane 15 sec burst windows, and the love to wrath was especially welcome :D
Edited by Velaniz on 9/20/2012 11:23 PM PDT
90 Troll Druid
09/20/2012 09:46 PMPosted by Apho
1. Assume i cast the wrong nuke, but notice that it's the wrong nuke around 0.5-1s into the cast. Is it a DPS loss to cancel the cast and recast the correct nuke?

You should really be looking at preventing this problem from happening in the first place, instead of trying to think of the best way to remedy it if it does. Try getting the addon called Balance Power Tracker, you won't ever cast the wrong nuke again.

2. Assume my DoT expires right before a relevant Eclipse. Is it a DPS loss to hit Eclipse first, then refresh the DoT?

When you say 'right before a relevant eclipse', do you mean like 1-2 casts from it? If so, then you definitely want to wait until you get into that eclipse before you cast the appropriate dot, as ideally you want to clip it with an eclipsed dot asap, which would result in its uneclipsed predecessor having been up only for 3-4 ticks, which would put it really low on the dpet scale, and hence not worth doing.
Edited by Velaniz on 9/20/2012 11:30 PM PDT
100 Night Elf Druid
09/20/2012 11:25 PMPosted by Velaniz

You should really be looking at preventing this problem from happening in the first place, instead of trying to think of the best way to remedy it if it does. Try getting the addon called Balance Power Tracker, you won't ever cast the wrong nuke again.

Oh I beg to differ. Lol.

I have BPT (it's awesome) and the vast majority of the time I cast the correct nuke, however in high movement fights I'll admit that I sometimes am so distracted by what is going on around me and not failing a fight mechanic that I cast the wrong dot and/or nuke because I don't realize where my arrow is at or pointing on my bar.

I get frazzled easily though. Some people are quicker to respond, do so in a more calm way, and can pay attention to more things simultaneously than I can.
90 Worgen Druid
Classes

•Druid

Huzzah! Likely a result of them realising we had been balanced around a bug that gave us insane 15 sec burst windows, and the love to wrath was especially welcome :D

Yeah, just saw this on MMO-C. Good stuff.

09/20/2012 11:25 PMPosted by Velaniz

While good advice, the truth is mistakes do happen. BPT is a great addon and I recommend it. But in the event that you do find yourself casting the wrong nuke again, just finish the cast. There is almost certainly a time-into-cast ratio where it would be a gain or a wash to stop the cast and start a new one, but even if your reactions are fast enough to stop at that exact moment, it's honestly just not worth it. Just finish the cast, don't let the mistake distract you, and move on.

Also, just as a side note, casting the wrong nuke happens ALL the time because of Dragon Wrath. Don't get me wrong, I love this staff, but man sometimes it can be a pain in my !@#. It was fun while it lasted but I'll be happy to give it up in a week or so.

3. Should I attempt to time DoT refreshes with trinkets? If so, how many seconds can I wait?

Both answers depend on the trinket. But generally, during SP and haste trinket procs, yes, it can be a good idea to refresh your dots - especially if you happen to have multiple procs up at the same time.

A sort of non-mathy (since we're not talking about any specific trinket or proc) answer is that you should try and wait as long as possible to refresh if you already have dots ticking.
85 Worgen Druid
[
A sort of non-mathy (since we're not talking about any specific trinket or proc) answer is that you should try and wait as long as possible to refresh if you already have dots ticking.

Yeah, I'll have to be more specific.

And what I'm specifically interested in is: is it ever a DPS gain to delay a refresh (lose uptime) in anticipation of a trinket?

This question is mostly irrelevant for this tier of raiding though. The only on use trinket is this one:

http://mop.wowhead.com/item=89081/blossom-of-pure-snow

Which is a Crit trinket. I doubt any lose of uptime is worth a Crit on use.
90 Worgen Druid
No, not a crit trinket, because our dot ticks update dynamically with crit.

edit: for int/sp/haste, I would never delay for a proc trinket (I've tried, and invariably it never procs when you want it to). For an on-use trinket it might be worth it to delay a bit. As a rule of thumb I'd say no more than a few seconds, but if you want a more exact answer it's going to depend on the trinket itself.
Edited by Eluial on 9/21/2012 2:27 PM PDT
90 Tauren Druid
Classes

•Druid

Posted by Bubbageo

Also, it's pretty universally agreed that wrath needs a buff, being as weak as it currently is. If/when it gets one, which playstyle will surely come out ahead?

I'm literally choking on smugness right now.
Edited by Bubbageo on 9/21/2012 4:49 PM PDT
100 Night Elf Druid
Classes

•Druid

Have I suddenly become very bad at math?

This is what my tooltips said before and after the hotfix with the same gear, same reforging and enchants, sitting at 0 energy, in Boomkin form with only MotW buff.

Wrath before 15003 after 15821 = +5.452%
Starfire before 25811 after 27219 = +5.455%
Starsurge before 34018 after 35875 = +5.456%

Is the percent increase not directly related to what it says in the tooltip?
90 Worgen Druid
09/21/2012 04:38 PMPosted by Bubbageo
I'm literally choking on smugness right now.

?

Have I suddenly become very bad at math?

This is what my tooltips said before and after the hotfix with the same gear, same reforging and enchants, sitting at 0 energy, in Boomkin form with only MotW buff.

Wrath before 15003 after 15821 = +5.452%
Starfire before 25811 after 27219 = +5.455%
Starsurge before 34018 after 35875 = +5.456%

Is the percent increase not directly related to what it says in the tooltip?

I've never put much store by Blizzard's tooltips. They're very often just flat out wrong.
100 Night Elf Druid
09/21/2012 04:43 PMPosted by Eluial
I've never put much store by Blizzard's tooltips. They're very often just flat out wrong.

Yeah I just tested my spells on the dummies this morning and the tooltips are definitely wrong.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]